PDA

View Full Version : Buster Olney Chat on espn.com

ChiSox62-
12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
I know this really means nothing but i thought some might want to read it...

Brett (Rockford, IL)
Buster, love the blogs. What do the White Sox look to get in return for Jon Garland/Jose Contreras if they decide to trade one of them, and is there any truth to the rumor of them putting together a deal for Tejada?

BUSTER OLNEY
Brett: Thanks for the note on the blogs. I just don't see the Orioles trading Tejada under any present circumstance -- now, in the future, if he made himself into baseball's version of T.O., that might change things. I think there's an absolutely perfect framework for a deal with Texas -- the White Sox could get Blalock, and the Rangers could get Garland, and both teams would address needs. Then the White Sox could turn around and swap Crede to the Pirates...

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
What would we get from Pitt for Crede..

ChiSox62-
12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
here is another question from the chat...

Chad (Texas)
Hey Buster, In the trade rumor that would send Jon Garland and Joe Crede to the Texas Rangers in exchange for Hank Blalock. What would the package that goes with Blalock be? I assume the White Sox would want one of the three good pitchers in the minors from the Rangers. Is there a possiblity that the Rangers could send SS Joaquin Aris, 3B Hank Blalock, P Josh Rupe, and C Gerald Laird to get Garland and Crede?

BUSTER OLNEY
Chad: that would seem to be a steep price to me, but you've got two aggressive GMs who know how to find middle ground. You wonder what Ken Williams really believes, in his heart, about how good Garland is and is going to be -- if he thinks the guy's value won't ever be higher than it is now, and wants to get something for him before spring training.

Tragg
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I think there's an absolutely perfect framework for a deal with Texas -- the White Sox could get Blalock, and the Rangers could get Garland, and both teams would address needs....from Olney What need of ours could Hank Blalock fill?

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
What need of ours could Hank Blalock fill?Yeah. We already have one overrated player in LF.

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
What need of ours could Hank Blalock fill?
A healthy 3rd basemen who doesn't have Scott Bor******* as his agent.

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Crede and Anderson for Bay:redface: :redface:

Tragg
12-16-2005, 11:29 AM
A healthy 3rd basemen who doesn't have Scott Bor******* as his agent.
My understanding is that the Boras aspect isn't relevant for 2 more years.
And there is the equivalent value aspect. Do you think Blalock is a quality player?

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 11:31 AM
And there is the equivalent value aspect. Do you think Blalock is a quality player?Correct. And even when he does become a FA, it's not as if he's going to be looking for superstar money. I think the whole Boras thing is way overblown.

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
And there is the equivalent value aspect. Do you think Blalock is a quality player?
Yes and I think Blalock gets bashed undeservably. He plays a solid third base ( had like a 200 gm errorless streak) who I feel would just mash in the Cell. Plus his salary is perfect for this team. 4.5 for the next 3 years, the 4th year he would just jump to only 6. Can you say Bargain Bin.

Tragg
12-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Correct. And even when he does become a FA, it's not as if he's going to be looking for superstar money. I think the whole Boras thing is way overblown.
Let's see, Boras sent around books showing how Damon is Ricky Henderson's superior.
I can see it now...Crede, this generation's Brooks Robinson.

Obviously, I agree with your assessment. OH, and if he is worth big money, that means he would have doubled his offensive production for us for 2 years....even better news.

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Mike Gonzalez would be a nice pickup from Pitt..

sircaffey1
12-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Let's see, Boras sent around books showing how Damon is Ricky Henderson's superior.
I can see it now...Crede, this generation's Brooks Robinson.

Obviously, I agree with your assessment. OH, and if he is worth big money, that means he would have doubled his offensive production for us for 2 years....even better news.
It's not that he would be looking for "superstar" money. It's that you can bet that he will be looking for more years and a lot more money then he is truly worth no matter what his production is in the next couple seasons. But I agree that it really doesn't matter that much since the Sox would have to deal with it in 2 years.

1951Campbell
12-16-2005, 01:58 PM

:rolling:

Jjav829
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
What would we get from Pitt for Crede..

Damaso Marte would look good in a Sox uniform.

A. Cavatica
12-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Damaso Marte would look good in a Sox uniform.

A mannequin would look good in a Sox uniform, and would walk fewer batters.

doctor30th
12-17-2005, 01:02 AM
if somehow we actually held on to crede and traded Garland for Blalock, I think the only players worth it on pitt would be Mike Gonzalez (prefered) a left handed relief pitcher or Getting John Grabow (also a LH reliever). Though if it was Grabow I would think a low level prospect would have to come our way too.

nodiggity59
12-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Blalock has been up and down, but he's still only 25.

I'd like to see KW get a swingman reliever to guard against injury and ace prospects. These position guys are risky and most (minus Tejada) unnecesarily risk our team for the 06 season.

Vernam
12-17-2005, 08:44 AM
A mannequin would look good in a Sox uniform, and would walk fewer batters. http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
In an ESPN 1000 exclusive, my sources tell me the Sox are very close to a deal with Pittsburgh for A. Mannequin, who is absolutely tearing up the Venezuelan winter league with a low walks-to-strikeouts ratio. Someone close to the team says, "Mannequin is being fitted for a Sox uniform and will look very good in it."

Vernam