PDA

View Full Version : A Rod not playing in WBC

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Because he couldn't choose what country to play for..

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told The New York Post for Friday's editions. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

Unregistered
12-16-2005, 10:49 AM
ARod is such a turd.

http://www.ithaca.edu/students/dbertol1/arod.jpg
"Basically, I'm too spineless to take any kind of PR risk and hurt my image, so I'm just not going to play at all. I just want people to like me! Please like me! I'm a nice guy!"

1951Campbell
12-16-2005, 11:05 AM
A-Rod's true legacy to the game:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bcolayco/arod.jpg (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bcolayco/arod.jpg)

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2260948&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Is Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5275) going to play for the Dominican Republic or the United States in the World Baseball Classic? Apparently neither.

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told The New York Post for Friday's editions. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Just saw this posted in the ol' Lot. Sorry folks.

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
A-Rod's true legacy to the game:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bcolayco/arod.jpg (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bcolayco/arod.jpg)

That is SOOOO 2004 :rolleyes:

IlliniSox4Life
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I'm glad that some of these guys are sitting out. It makes it seem much less legitimate than Selig is trying to promote.

1951Campbell
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
That is SOOOO 2004 :rolleyes:

I know, but correct me if I'm wrong here--no one seems to bring up (or has forgotten) that he made one of the top 10 bush moves in MLB history.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I am proud to be an American citizen and to have a Dominican legacy. My commitment to baseball is secondary to honoring my patriotic duties to my country and my ancestors," A-Rod said.

"Sports participation should only include the admiration and respect an athlete has for a nation and family. I intend to play baseball only when I am dedicated to both.

"Playing baseball for the New York Yankees allows you to honor and advance the interest of both without division."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/58869.htm

Baby Fisk
12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
WBC,
I see,
I see,
No future for thee,
I ga-ron-tee.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I know, but correct me if I'm wrong here--no one seems to bring up (or has forgotten) that he made one of the top 10 bush moves in MLB history.

I can think of one city that remembers :smile:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Sequences/_production/041019_arod/041019_arodfirst_9p.widec.jpg

1951Campbell
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I can think of one city that remembers :smile:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Sequences/_production/041019_arod/041019_arodfirst_9p.widec.jpg

:elduque:

"Don't forget me!"

MUsoxfan
12-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Honestly, I'm glad that some of these guys are sitting out. It makes it seem much less legitimate than Selig is trying to promote.

I'm with you. This thing is gonna be such an overwhelming joke it will be funny. Plus, I can't even imagine the **** that would go down if the $250m man tore an ACL in a dopey WBC game

HotelWhiteSox
12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
He's the smartest of them all

To put on my Hangar cap, notice how the WBC roster page still has Vazquez listed under Arizona, while Pierre was listed under the Northside's team before the trade was finalized

patbooyah
12-16-2005, 03:24 PM
i think rotoworld said it best:

Alex Rodriguez told The New York Post yesterday he has decided not to participate in the WBC because he didn't want to dishonor his native America or the Dominican Republic.
And that pretty much sums up Alex Rodriguez. He works so hard at giving people no reason to dislike him that there's just not much there to like about him. Maybe he'll end up changing his mind about this if MLB picks his team for him. That way, he can get away without alienating anyone.

on the other hand:
i bought a strip of cheap seats for the WBC finals in san diego-- it is a great park to go to and there should be some big names. 90 bucks for three games... not bad.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I may get A LOT of heat for this but........ I have nothing against Alex Rodriguez and actually am a big fan.

I just don't see any reason to hate him. He's the best player in the game. He's a smart business man. He's a handsome young man (yes, I realize that sounds weird, but I'm not insecure about my sexuality). And the guy did what anyone of us would have done, take the most money possible. If someone's willing to pay it, someone's willing to accept it.

I realize he looked like a old lady in the ALCS 2 seasons ago trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hand. But ask yourself this, what's worse, doing that once or using steroids and being what Barry Bonds is?

Alex Rodriguez is a good American!.... or Dominican Republican.... but he's a Democrat.... I'm just a fan of the guy!

Rocky Soprano
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I realize he looked like a old lady in the ALCS 2 seasons ago trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's hand. But ask yourself this, what's worse, doing that once or using steroids and being what Barry Bonds is?

A cheater is a cheater no matter how small or how big the offense is.

He is a chump. He is worthless in the playoffs and I hope he never gets a ring.

wdelaney72
12-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Drill-rod.

Some jokes never grow old, and that picture of him with the purse is one of them.

A-rod and the Yankees are a match made in heaven. They deserve each other.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 12:11 AM
A cheater is a cheater no matter how small or how big the offense is.

He is a chump. He is worthless in the playoffs and I hope he never gets a ring.

"Cheating is not cheating unless you get caught", anyone remember who said that VERY recently?
:ozzie

Yup. And what did A-Rod do? That was probably instinct and I would've tried my best to get on-base. What's scary is, IT ALMOST WORKED!

What's the difference between what A-Rod did and what A.J. did with the dropped 3rd strike? You wouldn't be able to give me an honest answer because your opinion is bias. Baseball fans from all over referred to him as a cheater. We view him as a hustler. Yankee fans view A-Rod the same way. How about the Juan Uribe decoy which he fooled Derek Lee with at Wrigley Field? Even Ozzie Guillen was upset with that move and it was called a "Bush League" move.

Give me a break. Hating a guy for doing whatever he has to do to win is so hypocritcal coming from us Sox fans.

Fenway
12-17-2005, 10:34 AM
now the union has been heard from

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/58916.htm

December 17, 2005 -- Gene Orza believes Alex Rodriguez will change his mind and participate in the inaugural World Baseball Classic in March.

One day after A-Rod told The Post he didn't want to dishonor America or the Dominican Republic, Orza, the No. 2 man in the Players Association, predicted A-Rod would be part of the WBC. "I think Alex Rodriguez will play in the WBC," the COO of the Players Association said yesterday. "He loves all things Dominican but was raised in America."

wdelaney72
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Good discussion on PTI yesterday about this. Where's the uproar over Mike Piazza playing for Italy? If A-rod was going to get persecuted for choosing the DR over the USA, then Piazza should also be held to the same criticism. Piazza was born in Norristown, PA, not Italy.

Criticism is fine, as long as everyone is held to the same standard.

Fenway
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
The head of the Dominican Baseball says they would love to have A-Rod but would rather he play for the US than not at all

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2262937

"It would be a shame to keep the best player in baseball today from participating in the World Baseball Classic for such reasons," Hector Pereyra, president of the Dominican Baseball Federation, told ESPNdeportes.com in Santo Domingo. "For us, not being able to count on Rodriguez would be devastating, but we'd rather see him play with the United States if the option is not having him play at all," added Pereyra.

1951Campbell
12-18-2005, 12:55 AM
"Cheating is not cheating unless you get caught", anyone remember who said that VERY recently?

Yup. And what did A-Rod do? That was probably instinct and I would've tried my best to get on-base. What's scary is, IT ALMOST WORKED!

What's the difference between what A-Rod did and what A.J. did with the dropped 3rd strike? You wouldn't be able to give me an honest answer because your opinion is bias. Baseball fans from all over referred to him as a cheater. We view him as a hustler. Yankee fans view A-Rod the same way. How about the Juan Uribe decoy which he fooled Derek Lee with at Wrigley Field? Even Ozzie Guillen was upset with that move and it was called a "Bush League" move.

Give me a break. Hating a guy for doing whatever he has to do to win is so hypocritcal coming from us Sox fans.

Bull****. AJ's play was an alert play, one that involved him making gcontact with nobody. A-Rod had the choice of trying to get on base by (a) barreling into someone and trying to knock the ball out, or (b) simply hustling to beat him to the bag, or (c) limp-wristedly slapping the ball out of someone's hand like a Sally.

A-Rod chose (c). That's his bed, he can lie in it. At least Uribe used his head and acting skills to deke someone. A-Rod acted like the kid who sucked at sports, cracked, and suddenly lashed out about it in an embarrassing manner.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2005, 05:21 AM
A-Rod acted like the kid who sucked at sports, cracked, and suddenly lashed out about it in an embarrassing manner.

AND HE ALMOST GOT AWAY WITH IT! Listen, the AJ play went our way. If the ARod play had gone their way, guess what? He's probably a hero in New York because they go to the World Series and they are the one's that probably sweep the Cardinals. A missed call (AJ's) and the right call (A-Rod's) were what distinguish the two. Not what "tactics" each player used.

If the right call was made on both plays, AJ's play would've never happened. Hate to say it, but that was a bad call. Do I care? Hell no.

Rocky Soprano
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM

I don't have to agree with everything Ozzie says. But like I said, cheating is cheating.

I can't believe you are comparing those two plays. AJ did exactly what he was supposed to do on a dropped third strike.

Pay-Rod swung his hand to try and knock the ball out, that was just cheap.

And I do not recall Ozzie calling that Bush League, I believe Konerko was the one upset.

Had it been Pay-Rod doing that play he probably would of put his leg out and tried to trip him. There is your difference.