PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers interested in Garland& Contreras

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 06:24 AM
From today LA times

Colletti has contacted teams with a surplus of starting pitchers, including the Chicago White Sox (Jon Garland, Jose Contreras), Boston (Wells), Yankees (Carl Pavano) and New York Mets (Kris Benson).

Garland, Contreras and Wells will become free agents after the season and Pavano sat out the second half last season because of a sore pitching shoulder.

My question who would KW want from LA

JUribe1989
12-16-2005, 06:32 AM
If I were KW I would reasonably inquire them about Cesar Izturis (out for the first half of the year, but they already have Furcal to play SS now) or Jose Cruz Jr. (Excellent fielder, had a great year with the Dodgers last year).

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 06:34 AM
I would like Edwin Jackson& Greg Miller from LA

Clembasbal
12-16-2005, 06:39 AM
If I were KW I would reasonably inquire them about Cesar Izturis (out for the first half of the year, but they already have Furcal to play SS now) or Jose Cruz Jr. (Excellent fielder, had a great year with the Dodgers last year).

Cruz Jr. is nothing really. He is a "K" King an his being on about a dozen teams in his short career is worrysome. Izturis is good, but Uribe is really just as good if not better.

Edwin Jackson would be my choice.

But there really is nobody on that sad sad team.

ChiSoxIn06
12-16-2005, 07:02 AM
how about JD Drew? IF he is healthy he is a hell of a player. But thats a big IF.

caulfield12
12-16-2005, 07:05 AM
how about JD Drew? IF he is healthy he is a hell of a player. But thats a big IF.

Just what we need, two injuries waiting to happen in RF, lol.

Edwin Jackson is a very good prospect, and Izturis would be a strong get...although he would be a bench player and we´re already replicating some of what he does with Mackowiak and Ozuna.

Not interest at all in Jose Cruz, Jr. We need to give Anderson a shot at the position...then we can go to back-up plans. The likes of Jose Cruz Jr. will be available...but we shouldn´t consider him a prime candidate to acquire.

Some have expressed an interest in Shawn Green because of his LH bat...but I don´t think he´s worth the risk based on the last 2-3 seasons of play.

Kogs35
12-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Just what we need, two injuries waiting to happen in RF, lol.

Edwin Jackson is a very good prospect, and Izturis would be a strong get...although he would be a bench player and we´re already replicating some of what he does with Mackowiak and Ozuna.

Not interest at all in Jose Cruz, Jr. We need to give Anderson a shot at the position...then we can go to back-up plans. The likes of Jose Cruz Jr. will be available...but we shouldn´t consider him a prime candidate to acquire.

Some have expressed an interest in Shawn Green because of his LH bat...but I don´t think he´s worth the risk based on the last 2-3 seasons of play.

shawn green is on the d-backs lol

buehrle4cy05
12-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Like somebody already said, take Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller, and run. Can have Bmac fill in this year, and next year, a rotation with him, Jackson, Buehrle, Garcia, and Jose would be dominant.

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Does anyone know if Miller has recover from his shoulder injury

Tragg
12-16-2005, 08:14 AM
I would prefer a couple of creme de la creme prospects to Jose Cruz, Jr.

akingamongstmen
12-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't see the Dodgers giving up their only real bargaining chip (Jackson) for a guy that is about to be a free agent. Plus, I'm not sure that we are getting fair value in that trade.

wsox3505
12-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know if Miller has recover from his shoulder injury

Yea, well. . . .miller was shut down yet again earlier this season with shoulder problems. Miller and Jackson are clearly NOT their best prospects anymore.

In return for Garland, I would only be happy with 2 from the following list:

3B Andy LaRoche-AA
SS (soon to be 1B or OF) Joel Guzman-AA
1B James Loney-AA
SP Chad Billingsley-AA
SP Chuck Tiffany-A

Most of the Dodgers solid prospects come from the AA Jacksonville squad that crushed their league and took care of our AA club with a sweep in the playoffs.

Dodgers might want a 72 hour window to sign garland and they may have a good shot if the money is right since he's from so-cal.

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 09:03 AM
How bad do they want Garland or Contreras?
Garland and Hermy for Jackson, Brazoban, Miller.
And is JD DREW in their ****house? If so add Borchard and Gload and take back Drew and cash. Have Drew play CF. He could really pound the ball when healthy. If he gets hurt Anderson would take over, if stay healthy Brian gets eazed in like Aaron was. Then when Dye's contract is up shift Drew to RF, Brian in CF and Owens gets eazed in or replaces Drew when he gets hurt.

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I don't see the Dodgers giving up their only real bargaining chip (Jackson) for a guy that is about to be a free agent. Plus, I'm not sure that we are getting fair value in that trade.
I think the Dodgers would because they can throw some money at Jon and possibly get a hometown discount.

White Sox Randy
12-16-2005, 09:06 AM
no matchup with the Dodgers- we won't be trading with them.

I still think Texas is the best fit for us.

soxfanatlanta
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM

JD Drew is talented - when he plays, but he is poison in he clubhouse. Nobody on Atlanta liked him, and I bet it's the same in LA.

NO WAY.

sircaffey1
12-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Delwyn Young people. Delwyn Young!

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Sandy Alomar

jabrch
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I would like Edwin Jackson& Greg Miller from LA

Those guys are both old news. Injuries have sidetracked them and neither are the kind of prospects they once were.

I'd want LaRoche and Billingsley.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 10:51 AM
With Furcal and now Mueller, Izturis becomes a spare part. Not that the Sox need him but he has value and there are always teams that need SS. Maybe a 3-way deal?

Flight #24
12-16-2005, 10:52 AM
With Furcal and now Mueller, Izturis becomes a spare part. Not that the Sox need him but he has value and there are always teams that need SS. Maybe a 3-way deal?

I hear Baltimore may soon have an opening at SS......

whitesoxfan1986
12-16-2005, 10:54 AM
I was hearing that the Sox were looking at Garland to LA Dodgers for Edwin Jackson, Jonathan Broxton, and Delwyn Young. It is a pretty steep price for Garland, but maybe if we throw in Borchard it would work. If I am KW I would do this trade in a heartbeat. BTW what position does Delwyn Young play anyway?

Tragg
12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Not with Uribe coming their way.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I hear Baltimore may soon have an opening at SS......Don't you mean:

Randar68
12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
I was hearing that the Sox were looking at Garland to LA Dodgers for Edwin Jackson, Jonathan Broxton, and Delwyn Young. It is a pretty steep price for Garland, but maybe if we throw in Borchard it would work. If I am KW I would do this trade in a heartbeat. BTW what position does Delwyn Young play anyway?

I would do this deal. Jackson has the talent you still take a chance on, and the Sox can allow him to develop in AAA. Broxton is a stud and Delwyn Young is a promising 2B prospect that is nearly MLB-ready today.

Tekijawa
12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Why not Ship GARLAND AND CONTRERAS to some one like the Astros for Some one like Ozwalt? They need pitching at it would help out both teams? Or What about to Toronto for Haliday? Trade 2 very good pitchers for one that will go out and almost guarantee you 20 wins?

patbooyah
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
garland for vin scully.

you heard it here first!

getonbckthr
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Why not Ship GARLAND AND CONTRERAS to some one like the Astros for Some one like Ozwalt? They need pitching at it would help out both teams? Or What about to Toronto for Haliday? Trade 2 very good pitchers for one that will go out and almost guarantee you 20 wins?
Or Garland and Conteras for Mulder and Reyes. I'm sure Mulder would kindly accept a deal with the Sox, especially since all we hear about is how he was such huge Sox fan growing up.

KRS1
12-16-2005, 12:31 PM
no matchup with the Dodgers- we won't be trading with them.

I still think Texas is the best fit for us.

Whew, man am I glad you know they dont have anyone we would want. Man I know I would hate to net Billingsley, Broxton, Elbert, Miller, Laroche, or Guzman man those guys all suck. Getting overrated 3rd baseman and a prospect they have been trying to move the last 2 seasons in Danks for who would be their #1 starter makes much more sense.

sircaffey1
12-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Or Garland and Conteras for Mulder and Reyes. I'm sure Mulder would kindly accept a deal with the Sox, especially since all we hear about is how he was such huge Sox fan growing up.

Isnt Mulder a FA after this year?

KRS1
12-16-2005, 12:32 PM

1)It's Halladay.
2)Theyre not gonna trade him, their roto is set as is.

KRS1
12-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Isnt Mulder a FA after this year?

Yes sir.

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Or Garland and Conteras for Mulder and Reyes. I'm sure Mulder would kindly accept a deal with the Sox, especially since all we hear about is how he was such huge Sox fan growing up.What, exactly, would be the point in that?

White Sox Randy
12-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Whew, man am I glad you know they dont have anyone we would want. Man I know I would hate to net Billingsley, Broxton, Elbert, Miller, Laroche, or Guzman man those guys all suck. Getting overrated 3rd baseman and a prospect they have been trying to move the last 2 seasons in Danks for who would be their #1 starter makes much more sense.

I'll bet you a ticket and a beer right now that we don't deal Garland to the Dodgers.

KW is trying to WIN another World Series not rebuild with prospects....besides Miller and Jackson have been highly touted prospects for years and done nothing except get injured.

sircaffey1
12-16-2005, 12:50 PM
I'll bet you a ticket and a beer right now that we don't deal Garland to the Dodgers.

KW is trying to WIN another World Series not rebuild with prospects....besides Miller and Jackson have been highly touted prospects for years and done nothing except get injured.

In all fairness Broxton is ready to deal in the pen right now. He would fit in very nicely. If that's enough major league talent for KW to send Garland to the Dodgers, we shall see.

KRS1
12-16-2005, 12:59 PM

There is no way in heck I would put any bet for a KW move, too unpredictable and I only bet on sure things, like us winning the ALC and WS.:D:
Also I dont care if he does trade with them or not, the point of my post was to say we do have some matches in their org. and a trade w/ them is very much a possibility. Also if we could procure someone who is young with all signs pointing towards his being ready for a rotation spot next year like Billingsley how would that be detrimental to our run next year? I would rather see us get someone like a Lowry who could be in our pen or roto. next year and also who has proved themselves a quality arm already.

White Sox Randy
12-16-2005, 01:46 PM
My take on next year is that our rotation is outstanding as it is. It wouldn't surprise me if McCarthy is our best pitcher next year - I think that he can be that good right now. It is apparent that KW intends to trade Garland and I think that makes sense.

Our bullpen is also outstanding but we lost Marte and Vizcaino - our two least dependable parts. I don't believe we have anything impressive in the minors ready right now - yes, I'm including Bajenaru. I think that we need outside help here and either a FA or by trading spare parts like Borchard, Perez, Gload, Harris, prospects etc. we can pickup what we need.

Our offense is still on the weak side and this is where I think that we should use Garland as trade bait to help us upgrade - i.e. Tejada, Blalock, Chavez, Abreu, etc.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Sounds like the Dodgers really want that front end guy, and Jon or Jose would be just that for them. They say they want to add two in this article, maybe free agent Millwood(?) and maybe a trade in the works here, but if we do it KW has to take advantage of them. If we are going to give them someone who would undoubtedly be a 1-2 pitcher on that team we gotta give them an option of a package, I say something along the lines of Billingley, Broxton, Elbert, and Jackson, or any three of those plus another 2 minor leaguers.

Per rotoworld
Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said he has enough payroll flexibility to sign a front-of-the-rotation starting pitcher, such as Jeff Weaver.
"For the right pitcher, we could do what we need to do, yes," Colletti said. "We absolutely need a pitcher, and I'd like to add two." If the Dodgers really have that much money to spend, they might prefer Kevin Millwood to Weaver.

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2005, 03:19 PM
We'll see how much dough Garland gets in arbitration and then see if there is a place to trade him that makes sense. I would doubt that he would be going to an AL team though. I couldn't see KW loosing the pennant to the team that gets him.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
We'll see how much dough Garland gets in arbitration and then see if there is a place to trade him that makes since. I would doubt that he would be going to an AL team though. I couldn't see KW loosing the pennant to the team that gets him.

Thats why the Dodger as I said are a perfect fit, NL team in SoCal with great farm system with tons of talent. Not to mention they will be able to sign him long term b/c of location.

MarySwiss
12-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Looks as though the good folks at the LA Times assume that everyone wants to play for the Dodgers.

One might think they were a Tribune Co. subsidiary or something. :cool:

KRS1
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Looks as though the good folks at the LA Times assume that everyone wants to play for the Dodgers.

One might think they were a Tribune Co. subsidiary or something. :cool:

My best friend down here is from La and is a diehard Dodgers fan, and while they are very VERY comparable to our northsiders, they really know nothing about their farm system and could care less about trading away prospects as long as a name comes for them. Take a look at dodgerblues.com, there a some on there druling over Garland, as if they got him they could care less if they traded the farm. I just hope their GM is as willing.

Tragg
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Taking prospects doesn't mean rebuilding. It means looking to the future, which Williams always does (which was the point of the Vasquez deal). We're always going to need at least a few minimum salaried players on our team. Getting some top quality prospects while we're dealing from strength sounds like a good idea to me.

Ol' No. 2
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Taking prospects doesn't mean rebuilding. It means looking to the future, which Williams always does (which was the point of the Vasquez deal). We're always going to need at least a few minimum salaried players on our team. Getting some top quality prospects while we're dealing from strength sounds like a good idea to me.Absolutely. Prospects doesn't necessarily mean single-A level. If they got a top pitching prospect (think Brandon McCarthy a year ago) and a decent reliever, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. And I think there are a number of teams that would do it. Hell, last summer the Sox almost traded McCarthy and an OF prospect for half a year of AJ Burnett and most people here thought it was a good deal.

RoobarbPie
12-23-2005, 03:14 PM
My best friend down here is from La and is a diehard Dodgers fan, and while they are very VERY comparable to our northsiders, they really know nothing about their farm system and could care less about trading away prospects as long as a name comes for them. Take a look at dodgerblues.com, there a some on there druling over Garland, as if they got him they could care less if they traded the farm. I just hope their GM is as willing.
Do we know much about how Coletti is gonna act as a GM? It was well known that DePodesta wanted to hold on to almost every prospect. Coletti might be up for making some noise and trading away 2 or 3 of those studs to win that weak division. I'm hoping that if KW does trade Garland, that he can try to take advantage of someone like Coletti or the new kid in Texas. Both teams have a great desire for a good starter and need to win soon. Then he would have enough material to write a book about how great he is, maybe with Phil Rogers.