PDA

View Full Version : Catcher


RichH55
12-24-2001, 05:05 AM
Well I think most of us agree that upgrading Catcher is a need for the team at some point, but that we also don't see that in the near horizon

Sandy will probably be hurt at some point, so the question of Josh Paul vs. Mark Johnson becomes one of some importance...won't really get the vile up in the posters liek Clayton or Singleton debates, but thats been done


Put me down in the Josh Paul camp for now, and I would like to hear everyones take on it

RichH55
12-24-2001, 06:09 AM
And one more thought here: What catchers out there are worth going after...man there isn't alot there...Did Jason Kendall ever sign that long term contract in Pitt? If he didnt and Pitt ever considered dealing Giles that Ritchie deals looks bad just because KW didnt use maximum leverage...c'est la vie....I think its Art of War time for KW this holiday season

:KW
Ah thanks man! You shouldn't have

RedPinStripes
12-24-2001, 08:05 AM
:reinsy
"Kenny only does what I tell him to do. He can't think on his own."

mwa36
12-24-2001, 10:44 AM
I really like Josh Paul. He is real close to being a everyday starter. Could this be the year to platoon him with Sandy?









:sox

duke of dorwood
12-24-2001, 10:56 AM
Josh is a passed ball machine. If he had the offense to go with his very average catching skills it would be different. I have seen nothing offensively that makes us not want an upgrade at catcher.

Daver
12-24-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Josh is a passed ball machine. If he had the offense to go with his very average catching skills it would be different. I have seen nothing offensively that makes us not want an upgrade at catcher.

:versatile

Hey what about my baserunning skills?

duke of dorwood
12-24-2001, 11:32 AM
:jerry

I love your speed. It helps your average so much

Daver
12-24-2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
:jerry

I love your speed. It helps your average so much

:versatile

I can play outfeild too!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2001, 11:44 AM
:versatile
"Nobody takes the extra base like me!

:ohno
"That's right."

CubKilla
12-24-2001, 12:29 PM
You all are right when you say Sandy Alomar will probably be injured at some point during the 2002 season. And Johnson has proven himself to be a mediocre catcher at best. His defense is more of an asset than his offense. So if no trade is made (Ivan Rodriguez is till available KW), my vote is to give Josh Paul a shot.

:pudge

"Jerry will never draft or trade for another catcher nicknamed 'Pudge'. Trust me on this one."

czalgosz
12-24-2001, 12:36 PM
Of the currently available options, Mark Johnson is the best one. He doesn' t have a very good bat, but he is the best at handling pitchers and has the best throwing arm and makes the fewest errors.

And I wouldn't want to trade for Irod. His bat makes him too expensive in a trade, and his once-great defense is eroding.

Let's face it; there just aren't that many good catchers out there right now. Varitek is a good hitter but has a poor arm; Piazza will probably be moving to first or the outfield soon; same with Irod. There are some good younger guys that might develop (LoDuca with LA, Ben Davis, Craig Wilson) but the only catcher that I would really want as a long-term solution that's currently out there is Kendall.

CubKilla
12-24-2001, 12:58 PM
The day of the Ritchie trade, I heard the Sox were dealing K. Wells, Lowe, and Fogg to Pittsburgh. I was hoping the three would go for Kendall. I would have been a happy Sox fan that day.

doublem23
12-24-2001, 01:14 PM
Josh Paul sucks.

The best catcher we've got is MJ.... Miguel Olivio may be a help in a year or two...

But Josh Paul sucks.

RichH55
12-25-2001, 04:21 PM
I don't think MJ's defense overshadows his pourous hitting....Passed Balls is a seperate issue of course, but throwing runners out simply isn't as big an issue as it used to be, especially in the American League.....and it's not like MJ is Charlie O'brien out there when it comes to calling a game, so I'll take my chances on Paul....I'd take back Fordyce though in a second

doublem23
12-25-2001, 08:10 PM
Maybe MJ's no star, but Josh Paul can't hit, run, throw, play defense, run, hit, throw, play defense, hit, run, play defense, throw, catch, run, hit, play defense, hit, throw, run, catch, play defense, hit, run....

Did I miss any?

danman31
12-25-2001, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I'd take back Fordyce though in a second
Wow, that's a thought, but look at what he's done with Baltimore. He batted a Royce like .209. OBP of .268. 8 passed balls and 10 errors in 95 games.

Paul is the suckiest suck I ever saw suck. Where is JM when you need him to dis Paul?? Good thing Doublem already dissed him or I'd have a lot of work ahead of me. This guy is flatout awful. In no way does he fill our need at catcher.

MJ is the guy for us temporarily, he is solid behind the plate and he is patient at the plate. He can bring us a solid catcher, nothing great, but definitely solid.

Olivo sounds like he has potential, but unproven and I'm not quite sure what to think of him. Perhaps one of our minor league experts could help out in giving us a scouting report.

If MJ or Olivo don't turn out, then there is the option of trade. I like the idea of trading for Kendall, but the price might be too high and I don't think Pitt would make another deal with us. Here is an idea that might be a stretch, but it makes some sense. LA has a young catcher in Paul Lo Duca that is just great. He is patient and had a high BA. Last year was his rookie year. LA as we all know needs pitching desperately. They have injuries and don't have many good pitchers. The Sox could take advantage of this and probably trade Ginter for Lo Duca. Flame away, but I think LA may be that desperate for pitching that they may accept that. If not we could throw in Barcelo.

Free agency is the last and least likely option. Here is a list of free agent catchers: Joe Oliver(BOS), Pat Borders(SEA), Tom Lampkin(SEA), Brian Johnson(LA), Randy Knorr(MON), Todd Pratt(PHI), Matt Walbeck(PHI), and Carlos Hernandez(STL). Ok just forget free agency.

Jerry_Manuel
12-25-2001, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Where is JM when you need him to dis Paul??

I'm right here.

:jerry
We like Josh because he brings so much to the table.

And Dan the Sox will always have a crappy catcher.

danman31
12-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
And Dan the Sox will always have a crappy catcher.
Yeah if you break down my post, it shows that the only way the Sox will get a good catcher is if Olivo turns out great(not happening) or if they make a trade for a good catcher(not going to happen unless that catcher is a free agent at the end of the season).

Jerry_Manuel
12-25-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Yeah if you break down my post, it shows that the only way the Sox will get a good catcher is if Olivo turns out great(not happening) or if they make a trade for a good catcher(not going to happen unless that catcher is a free agent at the end of the season).

I'm glad to see your honest with yourself.

delben91
12-25-2001, 11:22 PM
I've got a novel idea, though it isn't going to happen either. How about we draft a talented catcher, and wait, here's a thought, actually sign him!!!!!!!! (think zeringue, ritchie, I think that was the other recent one)

nut_stock
12-25-2001, 11:51 PM
I can't think of too many catchers that are good defensively and offensively. Charles Johnson comes to mind, but there's not much else. Hell even Kendall played some left field last year!

WinningUgly!
12-26-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I can't think of too many catchers that are good defensively and offensively. Charles Johnson comes to mind, but there's not much else. Hell even Kendall played some left field last year!

Yeah, Kendall has solid offensive numbers for a catcher, but how long is he going to actually remain behind the plate? His offensive numbers are not worth the money he makes if he's moved to the OF or 2nd base.

bc2k
12-26-2001, 04:00 AM
Josh Paul sucks. Let him play everyday in the minors and see if he is any better this year. Mark Johnson is Mr. Clutch. Outside of Valentin, and formerly Perry, Mark comes through. Josh Paul cannot beat Johnson out in any facet of the game minus baserunning. Paul had his chance, now let him earn his next one.

FarWestChicago
12-26-2001, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Josh Paul sucks. Let him play everyday in the minors and see if he is any better this year. Mark Johnson is Mr. Clutch. Outside of Valentin, and formerly Perry, Mark comes through. Josh Paul cannot beat Johnson out in any facet of the game minus baserunning. Paul had his chance, now let him earn his next one. Welcome to WSI, bc2k! :gulp:

Excellent Josh Paul rip for a first post!

:versatile

What about my versatiltiy?

Iguana775
12-26-2001, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Maybe MJ's no star, but Josh Paul can't hit, run, throw, play defense, run, hit, throw, play defense, hit, run, play defense, throw, catch, run, hit, play defense, hit, throw, run, catch, play defense, hit, run....

Did I miss any?

i guess the easier thing would be to list what he CAN do. the list would be shorter. :) i cant think of anything...

FarWestChicago
12-26-2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775


i guess the easier thing would be to list what he CAN do. the list would be shorter. :) i cant think of anything... :versatile

That's my versatility. There is nothing I do well.

RedPinStripes
12-26-2001, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:versatile

That's my versatility. There is nothing I do well.

:versatile
"Hey! I get gunned down by Ichiro very well."