PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals sign Looper

nodiggity59
12-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Per Rotoworld:

Cardinals signed RHP Braden Looper, who had been with the Mets, to a three-year, $13.5 million contract.
A nice contract for a pitcher who just had shoulder surgery two months ago. He'll earn $3.5 million in 2006, $4.5 million in 2007 and $5.5 million in 2008. Included are up to $1 million in bonuses, some of them based on games finished in case he becomes the closer. Looper will be healthy for the start of next season, and he figures to be more durable that some of the other relievers getting three-year deals. He probably won't give the Cardinals quite what Julian Tavarez did the last two years, but he'll be decent.

doublem23
12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
A band-Aid on an amputation.

KRS1
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM
That....is......A LOT of money for an bad closer and an mediocre set-up man.

nodiggity59
12-15-2005, 09:16 PM
I like the move. He'll be a good set up man and provides nice closer insurance for Izzy. Cards still need a 2B, a corner outfielder, and a lefty reliever.

Jjav829
12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I like the move. He'll be a good set up man and provides nice closer insurance for Izzy. Cards still need a 2B, a corner outfielder, and a lefty reliever.

They actually just signed Ricardo Rincon, so they are probably done signing relievers, short of maybe bringing in a cheap veteran or two to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle.

I think it's a pretty good signing for the Cards. I expect Looper to flourish now that he doesn't have the pressure of being a closer, and given that he is working under Dave Duncan. Looper strikes me as a guy who isn't necessarily cut out in the closer mold. I think he's better served in a setup role.

MHOUSE
12-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Looper has lost the closer's role everywhere he's gone. He's much more suited to set-up I think. Urbina took over for him when the Marlins won the WS and he floundered in NY last year and eventually lost the job to Heilman. I think Looper and Rincon overall are an upgrade over Tavarez and King who were pretty terrible last year. They're certainly not any worse. Look out for Brad Thompson, he's going to be a stud reliever for the Redbirds.