PDA

View Full Version : Favorite White Sox Manager

gowhitesox
12-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I figure everybody favorite White Sox manager would be Ozzie Guillen. I am wondering who Sox fans favorite manager would be other than Ozzie.

My vote would be for Tony La Russa because of the Division title of the Winnin' Ugly Sox team of 1983.

Soxzilla
12-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Jerry Manuel.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Terry Bevington. His line was the only line that was empty when I was a little kid wanting to get autographs on kids day. I never understood why no one wanted his autograph. :wink:

elrod
12-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Fielder Jones.

Etownsox13
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Kid Gleason

BarbG
12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Jim Fregosi.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Al Lopez.

np1000
12-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Who could forget 1993 and 1994.....Jeff Torborg ties it with Tony for 1983....The Sox were running away with it much like 2005 in 1994 before the freakin strike that broke my heart.....i almost banned baseball from my life because of that.....glad i didn't!

Daver
12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Pants Rowland.

HawkISox
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Sure...Guillen won a title...but he will never, ever beat that fair-foul comic masterpiece. I think Mike North still will play it now and then.

The Racehorse
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM
I figure everybody favorite White Sox manager would be Ozzie Guillen. I am wondering who Sox fans favorite manager would be other than Ozzie.

My vote would be for Tony La Russa because of the Division title of the Winnin' Ugly Sox team of 1983.

Put me down for LaRussa.

Honorable mention goes to Chuck Tanner. I remember watching the Sox on cable as a very young kid, when Tanner managed... those are good memories [being a kid, not the W's & L's].

Hitmen77
12-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Who could forget 1993 and 1994.....Jeff Torborg ties it with Tony for 1983....The Sox were running away with it much like 2005 in 1994 before the freakin strike that broke my heart.....i almost banned baseball from my life because of that.....glad i didn't!

Gene Lamont, not Torborg, was the manager in '93 and '94.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Jeff Torborg. His kids were the kids that could play.

HITMEN OF 77
12-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Eddie Stanky.

SoxFanSince67
12-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Chuck Tanner - he was a savior in some pretty dark times.

JUribe1989
12-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Jeff Torborg - Complete fan friendly guy. I really wanted him to be our new radio guy.

TornLabrum
12-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Don Gutteridge, despite the 106-loss season just for his line about Walter Williams when he was trying to catch some popups during spring training: "He makes the hard ones look hard."

Brian26
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Torborg without a doubt. He was an absolute class act, and an intellectual to boot. He wrote his master's thesis on platooning.

HITMEN OF 77
12-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Don Gutteridge, despite the 106-loss season just for his line about Walter Williams when he was trying to catch some popups during spring training: "He makes the hard ones look hard."

I thought you'd pick Gutter because he managed Gail Hopkins. :D:

soxinem1
12-16-2005, 01:04 AM
I actually have some decent memories of most White Sox Managers, and also some bad ones. Ozzie is a natural to choose because of this year, but one of his mentors sticks in my mind.

To me, Jeff Torborg is the very tough pick for top guy, at least among the modern day managers, and I was quite pi**ed when Scheuler forced him out after 1991. Torborg put a fighting spirit in the team, and is actually the father of the modern Renaissance Period of White Sox Baseball.

After the team was left for dead following the 1986 season (low on ML talent, farm system, future home left in doubt) we had some lean (1986-mid 89) tough times. Watching the likes of Mike Woodard, Billy Jo Robidioux, Jose Segura, and others was painful. LaRussa was forced out but Hemond's lack of a productive farm system in the 80's could have doomed us.

Larry Himes gave us a quick four shot (Black Jack, Big Hurt, Robin, Fernandez) of home grown All-Stars that has NOT been matched by any team before or since the amateur baseball draft. Fregosi helped make the team a credible if not losing opponent, but was clearly miffed when Himes cleaned house of the vets after 1987.

Torborg really seemed to click with the players and organization from the start. I remember the Opening Day bench brawl (especially the exchange between Fisk and Lance Parrish) in 1989.

Since the beginning of the 1990 season, only 1995, 1998, and 1999 did the Sox field teams that really never contended, a pretty nice accomplishment in my book.

I believe it began with Jeff Torborg, we have a lot to be thankful to him for.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Chuck Tanner - Best of the bunch. Ozzie did a good job last season managing the pitching staff.

I hated LaRussa. Bevington was weak. Manuel blah. Kissenger? Fregosi? Lamont? Doby? Lemon? Torborg? Pass.

Al Lopez, Pants Rowand and Fielder Jones are the only three prior managers to do anything but they were before my time.

gowhitesox
12-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Some of the other managers I liked were, Jeff Torborg, Bob Lemon and a sentimental one Paul Richards manager of the 1976 team.

wassagstdu
12-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Two managers who helped bring the Sox back from the depths, Paul Richards in the '50s and Jeff Torborg in '89-'90. LaRussa? No thanks.

Whitesox4ever
12-16-2005, 08:33 AM
my top 3 managers
1 Ozzie
2 Jeff Torborg
3 Tony Larussa

PaulDrake
12-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Al Lopez for all his personal faults did more with less for an extended period of time.

Baby Fisk
12-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Chuck Tanner.

bobowhite
12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Kid Gleason

Ditto for me. Count me as an Al Lopez detester.

mrfourni
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I liked Gene Lemont and think that if 1994 had played out, many more would too.

Bucky F. Dent
12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Chuck Tanner.

nlentz88
12-16-2005, 11:39 AM
My top three:

1) Ozzie
2) Lopez
3) LaRussa

asindc
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
To me, Jeff Torborg is the very tough pick for top guy, at least among the modern day managers, and I was quite pi**ed when Scheuler forced him out after 1991. Torborg put a fighting spirit in the team, and is actually the father of the modern Renaissance Period of White Sox Baseball.

I fondly remember Torborg as well, but I thought he voluntarily left to mangage the Mets because he wanted to go home (being a New York guy). I do think that we might have won the 93 ALCS if he was still at the helm.

FielderJones
12-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Fielder Jones.

Thank you! :redface:

I did beat the Flubs in the World Series and all ...

Lip Man 1
12-16-2005, 02:12 PM
1. Al Lopez 'The Senor'
2. Tony LaRussa
3. Chuck Tanner
4. Ozzie Guillen
5. Jeff Torborg

Chuck Tanner.....hmmmmm.....might make a good interview. :rolleyes:

Lip

TommyJohn
12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
1. Al Lopez. For better or worse, the best White Sox manager since
World War II.

2. Fielder Jones. Long forgotten by the rest of baseball, but he is a
big reason that the White Sox won the '06 World Series.

3. Jimmie Dykes. Never had much to work with, but a colorful manager,
best of the 1921-50 era.

4. Lena Blackburne. Not a great manager, but dealt with problem players
like Art Shires by pounding lumps on them. (And getting pounded himself
in the process.) Let's see Ozzie try that.

Realist
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Since this thread is about favorites, I'm going to play the sentimental card and go with Bob Lemon. The 1977 White Sox were the team that sank the hook in me and made me a fan for life.

IggyD
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Tony La Russa...I loved it when he would get in the Umps face

MinnieMinoso
12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Paul Richards hands down. Started the Sox on the road to respectability after years of being down in the standings.

BV2005
12-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Gene Lemont, he was the manager of my favorite Sox team, before 2005 of course.

jerry myers
12-16-2005, 07:21 PM
tonys the man, and hes still close to the sox. but ozzies #1

AZSoxFAN
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Jeff Torborg. His kids were the kids that could play.

:toolLet me think - I think I agree with you. Jeff did a great job with the kids and Pudge.

chisoxfan64
12-16-2005, 10:38 PM
One more vote for Chuck Tanner.

SOXfnNlansing
12-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Gene Lamont

MILTMAY5
12-17-2005, 06:58 AM
I actually have some decent memories of most White Sox Managers, and also some bad ones. Ozzie is a natural to choose because of this year, but one of his mentors sticks in my mind.

After the team was left for dead following the 1986 season (low on ML talent, farm system, future home left in doubt) we had some lean (1986-mid 89) tough times. Watching the likes of Mike Woodard, Billy Jo Robidioux, Jose Segura, and others was painful. LaRussa was forced out but Hemond's lack of a productive farm system in the 80's could have doomed us.

Larry Himes gave us a quick four shot (Black Jack, Big Hurt, Robin, Fernandez) of home grown All-Stars that has NOT been matched by any team before or since the amateur baseball draft. Fregosi helped make the team a credible if not losing opponent, but was clearly miffed when Himes cleaned house of the vets after 1987.

Torborg really seemed to click with the players and organization from the start. I remember the Opening Day bench brawl (especially the exchange between Fisk and Lance Parrish) in 1989.

Since the beginning of the 1990 season, only 1995, 1998, and 1999 did the Sox field teams that really never contended, a pretty nice accomplishment in my book.

I believe it began with Jeff Torborg, we have a lot to be thankful to him for.Your 100% correct! Jeff Torborg pulled this franchise out of the gutter and groomed the young players to be major leaguers. 1993 and 1994 had very little to do with Gene Lamont and a lot to with Jeff Torborg. He's also somewhat responsible for bringing Ozzie back to Chicago.

MikeW
12-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Got to go with Al Lopez. Had his faults for sure,but his teams won an awful lot games with no hitting and lots of great pitching in the early 60's. Paul Richards with the help of Frank Lane bought the team back to being respectable. Chuck Tanner the first couple of years of his tenure was good and he and Roland Hemond bought the Sox back from the dead.

TomBradley72
12-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow...I can't believe the Gene Lemont votes are not in teal...his teams never seemed to really respect him.

For my money...either Larry Doby or Don Kessinger. :cool:

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I fondly remember Torborg as well, but I thought he voluntarily left to mangage the Mets because he wanted to go home (being a New York guy). I do think that we might have won the 93 ALCS if he was still at the helm.

I was more of a groupie back then and was able to get inside info a lot. My source gave me this take:

Torborg had no intention of leaving. He was contacted by the Mets and Scheuler told Jeff he should 'see what options are out there for him', and to hear what they have to say. Hmmm. Jeff was suprised by the lack of concern by Scheuler. Supposedly several players, Ozzie included, felt Torborg was too intense and high strung. Plus, Torborg was Himes guy, and Schu wanted his own guy.

While this may not be totally true I do think Scheuler wanted his own guy, and that he had no real love for JT.

The same guy (who worked for the Sox at the time) who told me this also passed some good info in the past regarding the flubs, and it was before it happened. It appears that Jim Frey found out that a certain pitcher with the initials MB was the first two letters of his last name (if you know the player, you will figure it out). Frey wanted to get rid of him so bad he said he would give him up whenever for who ever, and this guy was traded less than three weeks left in the regular season.

veeter
12-18-2005, 01:40 PM
No question, Chuck Tanner. The first manager I knew as a five year old, loving those red uniforms.

VenturaSoxFan23
12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Chuck Tanner, the eternal optimist. Gotta love a guy who lives the old axiom: "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." He didn't dwell on the bad times, only the good.

Tony LaRussa, mainly because my friend's step-dad looked exactly like him, and acted the same, too.

ChiSox14305635
12-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Went from last place in the AL West in '89 to nearly getting the Sox to the playoffs with 94 wins.

Supposedly several players, Ozzie included, felt Torborg was too intense and high strung. Plus, Torborg was Himes guy, and Schu wanted his own guy.

Didn't know that. I find it somewhat ironic because it was Torborg that gave Ozzie his first coaching job in Montreal.

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Went from last place in the AL West in '89 to nearly getting the Sox to the playoffs with 94 wins.

Didn't know that. I find it somewhat ironic because it was Torborg that gave Ozzie his first coaching job in Montreal.

Sure, I agree, there is a degree of irony with Ozzie being a part of that, but it was 10 years before he became a coach. I think JT and Oz are very similar type people and managers, except Torborg is a little more guarded with the press. But I totally believe the angle with JT and RS.

RetireWoodys28
12-18-2005, 06:00 PM
1.) Until Ozzie coaches at least another season or two, Clarence Rowland.
2.) Torborg. 1991 has officially been dropped to my second all-time favorite Sox team.
3.) LaRussa.

I definitely recall Torborg speaking openly in the press about RS encouraging him to consider the Mets offer seriously, and JT being less than pleasantly surprised by this. I think in light of what he did with that '91 team, he expected to be handed the keys to the cookie jar, but instead he was shown the door. I don't recall there being much buzz about any player unrest under Torborg, but it didn't seem like much of a secret at the time that Schueler wanted his own man.

Lip Man 1
12-18-2005, 08:06 PM
From the players that I interviewed who played for Jeff I have never heard any of them say he was to intense. The ones I have spoken with all loved playing for him because he believed in the 'family' approach and went out of his way to protect them from injury.

I have heard reports that upper management / ownership were upset with him becaused they blamed him for overusing Bobby Thigpen and basically ending his career (a charge that Donn Pall denied in his WSI interview..)

Lip

MILTMAY5
12-18-2005, 08:50 PM
From the players that I interviewed who played for Jeff I have never heard any of them say he was to intense. The ones I have spoken with all loved playing for him because he believed in the 'family' approach and went out of his way to protect them from injury.

I have heard reports that upper management / ownership were upset with him becaused they blamed him for overusing Bobby Thigpen and basically ending his career (a charge that Donn Pall denied in his WSI interview..)

LipDidn't Fisk once say he was the best manager he ever played for?

LongLiveFisk
12-18-2005, 08:59 PM
My favorites are 1)Torborg, 2) LaRussa.I never cared much for Sleepy Gene.

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
1.) Until Ozzie coaches at least another season or two, Clarence Rowland.
2.) Torborg. 1991 has officially been dropped to my second all-time favorite Sox team.
3.) LaRussa.

I definitely recall Torborg speaking openly in the press about RS encouraging him to consider the Mets offer seriously, and JT being less than pleasantly surprised by this. I think in light of what he did with that '91 team, he expected to be handed the keys to the cookie jar, but instead he was shown the door. I don't recall there being much buzz about any player unrest under Torborg, but it didn't seem like much of a secret at the time that Schueler wanted his own man.

While both the 1990 and 91 Sox were good treams, the 1990 team is the one he worked the miracles with, being that they only won 69 in 1989 (and scored fewer runs in 1990 to boot).

I personally think Scheuler was behind most of it, and it was known he did not care for the players taking their families with all the time on road trips, which was all JT's thing.

Sleepy Gene was a big mistake, anyone could have managed the 1992-94 Sox, they were good squads. Lamont is an excellent baseball guy, but at best a 3rd Base coach or bench coach. He was way too hands off with the players.

soxfan1965
12-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Chuck Tanner - he was a savior in some pretty dark times.

After reading the great interview with Chuck Tanner on this web site, he gets my vote. The Sox seemed like a doomed franchise headed for elsewhere after the horrible 1970 season.

vegyrex
12-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Ozzie, hands down. Tanner, LaRussa, and Torborg never got us a series title.

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 01:25 PM
my top 3 managers
1 Ozzie
2 Jeff Torborg
3 Tony Larussa

same here
:britney
i thought we could get something nice to look at in this thread :supernana:

32nd&Wallace
12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Was Manuel that bad? Really, why is he so disliked on this board. He was here for 6 seasons. Led them to a division title in 2000. That is just as much as what LaRussa or Lemont did.

Beauty35thStreet
12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't think a sympathy for Manuel thread is going to go very far, but I see your point. I think most people are upset at the high expectations we had with 2001 and 2003 and just went nowhere. I felt he was a good manager in 1999, 2000, as good as you can expect in 1998. It just seems that he started getting too crazy with his pitch counts, shuffling of line-ups, and his treatment of Garland, the team in general seemed to just dive. I don't think he was that bad of a manager, it's simply the disappointment in him not beating the Twinkies or to a WS in 03, because we had some chances.
He was definately not a Bevington.

I'm posting the mangerial status post-New Comiskey Park deal and because it's unfair to compare any current manager to those past managers since situations were completely different.
#1-Ozzie---great manager
#2-Jeff Torberg
#3-LeMont---in all seriousness though, how could he not win? Credit for not messing up more than winning.
#4-Manuel (feel he was as good as LaRussa during his tenure here)
#5-Bevington

Was Manuel that bad? Really, why is he so disliked on this board. He was here for 6 seasons. Led them to a division title in 2000. That is just as much as what LaRussa or Lemont did.

scottjanssens
12-29-2005, 10:36 AM
LaRussa with a nod to Torborg.

soxfan13
12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Have to go with larussa

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Other than Ozzie,my vote goes out to a man who has sung
Guillen's praises for the last several years,Jeff Torborg.
Like Chuck Tanner 2 decades earlier,Torborg convinced the
fans the Sox could contend with powerhouse teams like
the A's in the AL West.This was,of course,before the Sox
relocated to the AL Central in 1994.Those 1990-'91
teams began to convince me that all the young talent
Larry Himes had accumulated might actually amount to
something good.

we be jake
12-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Al Lopez, Without A Doubt, And What A Colorful Cast Of Characters He Managed-- Nellie Fox, Little Louie, Minnie, Al Smith, Jungle Jim Rivera,big Klu, Early Wynn, Billy Pierce Et Al. :cool: we be jake