PDA

View Full Version : green seats update

Pages : [1] 2

RetireWoodys28
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Someone posted a thread here about the progress of post-season seating renovations a couple weeks ago, and I can't find it now or else I would have just replied there. Anyway, the last week or so I've been paying particularly close attention when driving by the park on my way to and from work, and the best I can judge is that from about section 528 to about 550-ish, all the seats are gutted.

I've heard that the green seat installation won't be completely finished until 2007, so it seems like what would make most sense would be to finish the upper deck first, since those are the seats most likely to be unoccupied during telecasts next season (and thus most likely to actually show up on camera). The fact that the upper deck renovations are all lopsided so far (most of left field is gutted, but everything from about halfway down 1st base line out is still intact) leads me to think that the Sox might be following this same logic and are replacing the ENTIRE upper deck this winter. That's what I'm hoping anyway, I think the green seats are going to look sweet!

IlliniSox4Life
12-15-2005, 04:29 PM
All of the seats are supposed to be replaced by next year.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Besides the upperdeck, the area that will show up on TV is the outfield. I hate the blue seats because they stick out like a sore thumb. For every person with outfield seats who stands on the concourse, there is one big glaring blue spot. Dark green blends in, but blue stands out.
There are always people on the concourse, so there are always empty seats in the outfield, even during sellouts. It would look really good if they finished the outfield this year. I believe they will do the upperdeck and the outfield this offseason, leaving the major part of the lower level to be completed next offseason if need be.
I don't know why they wont be able to finish the entire park by opening day. The only reason I can think of is that they will reconstruct part of the lower level seating in foul territory to angle the seats towards the mound. At least that is what I hope.

C-Dawg
12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Last time I was at the Gift Shop I noticed a section or two in the lower deck, behind the sox dugout, had had the seats removed (but not hauled away yet) all the way up to the concourse. This was a few weeks ago by now; it would be interesting to see what they've done down there since.

RetireWoodys28
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
All of the seats are supposed to be replaced by next year.
Is this true? I wish I could find the original thread I mentioned, I could swear someone there posted a link to an article in which the official word on the issue was completion of seating renovations by 2007.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Is this true? I wish I could find the original thread I mentioned, I could swear someone there posted a link to an article in which the official word on the issue was completion of seating renovations by 2007.
Well, they had said the seats would be done by the opening day 06 when they originally announced the change.
Then, a week or two ago Brooks supposedly said during an interview that the seats would not be fully changed until 07.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, they had said the seats would be done by the opening day 06 when they originally announced the change.
Then, a week or two ago Brooks supposedly said during an interview that the seats would not be fully changed until 07.

...and he must have misspoke. If the Cardinals can build half a freaking stadium in the offseason, the Sox should be able to change out the seats.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
...and he must have misspoke. If the Cardinals can build half a freaking stadium in the offseason, the Sox should be able to change out the seats.
I know, and I am baffled as to why they can't finish them this offseason. But we do know that they are devoting a big effort to completing the scout seat restaurant. That is the top priority because of the big money those seats bring in. The reason may be that the Sox don't want to pay a whole lot for construction crews. The crews at Busch III will be working around the clock until the week before opening day to get it done, and they have over half the park built already. Obviously, they COULD get it done of they call in extra crews and have them work around the clock, but that would cost extra money. That is the only thing I can think of.
Also, they have to do structural tests on the concrete when they take the seats out. I don't know how time consuming that is, but that probably sets them back a lot.

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I know, and I am baffled as to why they can't finish them this offseason. But we do know that they are devoting a big effort to completing the scout seat restaurant. That is the top priority because of the big money those seats bring in. The reason may be that the Sox don't want to pay a whole lot for construction crews. I can't see where one would have anything to do with the other. They would be different contractors doing the work. Even if the Sox are using their own crews to remove and install the seats, those woule not be the people building the restaurant.

dpbyron
12-15-2005, 05:55 PM
When I drove by today, the first 5 or 6 sections of the upper deck in right field were already done. I can't see them not finishing by opening day...

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
I know, and I am baffled as to why they can't finish them this offseason. But we do know that they are devoting a big effort to completing the scout seat restaurant. That is the top priority because of the big money those seats bring in. The reason may be that the Sox don't want to pay a whole lot for construction crews. The crews at Busch III will be working around the clock until the week before opening day to get it done, and they have over half the park built already. Obviously, they COULD get it done of they call in extra crews and have them work around the clock, but that would cost extra money. That is the only thing I can think of.
Also, they have to do structural tests on the concrete when they take the seats out. I don't know how time consuming that is, but that probably sets them back a lot.

Oh, no doubt the Busch II work is going nuts. Still, it would be very bizarre that it would take over 10 off-season months as well as a combined 5+ away series "months" to get seats put in. Hell, I reckon me and three stout men could even get it done in that time.

TheOldRoman
12-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I can't see where one would have anything to do with the other. They would be different contractors doing the work. Even if the Sox are using their own crews to remove and install the seats, those woule not be the people building the restaurant.
I don't know either, but I do know that Brooks said last year the restaurant is their number one priority. I do think that the Sox are using their own crew to do the seats, like you said. I imagine they have a pretty small maintenance crew, which would explain why it will take so long. They have to pay their crew anyway, so they are just having them do it all. That makes sense.

RetireWoodys28
12-15-2005, 07:01 PM
After I saw those green seats behind homeplate so early in the 2005 season, I assumed I'd be seeing a lot more of them before the season was over. I didn't. It seems like they have been taking their time so far, and that being the case I'm pleasantly surprised to see home plate thru left field gone in the upper deck this week. :smile:

steff
12-15-2005, 11:32 PM
When I drove by today, the first 5 or 6 sections of the upper deck in right field were already done. I can't see them not finishing by opening day...

That's what I've seen also. Been driving down daily to see the grandson who's at UCH off Garfield and the crews have been there all week.

The spring training moving crew should be there soon so I'll try to get some pics and post them when that goes down.

ChiSoxRowand
12-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Am I the only one who likes the blue seats? Pretty much every stadium in the league has green seats now. We were one of the only teams (if not the only team) to have blue seats.

TheOldRoman
12-16-2005, 12:33 AM
Am I the only one who likes the blue seats? Pretty much every stadium in the league has green seats now. We were one of the only teams (if not the only team) to have blue seats.
To answer your questions:
No, you are not the only person to like the blue seats. Other people have said that they either dont care or really like the blue seats better.

As for other parks having green seats - there is a reason for that. It is baseball, green is a baseball color. Blue seats and outfield walls may have looked cool and futuristic when paired with astroturf and circular football/baseball stadiums, but they have no place in the BASEBALL PALACE OF THE WORLD (part II).

itsnotrequired
12-16-2005, 06:19 AM
We were one of the only teams (if not the only team) to have blue seats.

I think there's some stadium out in New York that also has blue seats.:redneck

VASoxfan1
12-16-2005, 07:43 AM
I live down the street from fenway in boston and every year they're doing something to keep that highly overrated excuse for a ballpark intact. This year they're building another one of their clubs and the lights are always on through the night i'm guessing meaning that they're working around the clock. I really don't see how they couldn't remove and bolt in new seats just as quickly.

paciorek1983
12-17-2005, 04:24 PM
There was an article recently in the Sun Times about the sale of the blue seats and that the money would go toward future renovations. The article didn't mention any speicifics on completion of installation.

The article said that there would be about 6,000-7,000 pairs of seats available for $490. So, that's over 3 mil. I wonder what renovations they would plan on doing with that money.

I think they really need to brick the bullpen areas and the sportsbar walls. That would be a nice touch.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxseats15.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxseats15.html)

JorgeFabregas
12-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I doubt they'll sell 6,000 at that price.

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2005, 02:01 AM
$500 for two worn-out, faded, blue plastic seats? Not me. At least the new ones have the Sox logo built into the frame. The old ones could have come from anywhere.

TornLabrum
12-18-2005, 08:30 AM
$500 for two worn-out, faded, blue plastic seats? Not me. At least the new ones have the Sox logo built into the frame. The old ones could have come from anywhere.

But you get a certificate of authenticity to prove what they are!

Somebody I know talked to the Sox about the price of the seats. Their rationale: "But they're World Series seats."

Mrs. Presky: Why this is a bag full of ****.

Quiz Show Host: Ah, but it's really great **** Mrs. Presky.

LongLiveFisk
12-18-2005, 08:38 AM
The article said that there would be about 6,000-7,000 pairs of seats available for $490. So, that's over 3 mil. I wonder what renovations they would plan on doing with that money.
Holy crap--they couldn't have been charging that much for the green seats from Old Comiskey, and that was at least a historic ballpark. Yikes!

itsnotrequired
12-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I drove by the stadium this morning. As near as I could tell, the upper deck is changed over on the right field side, down to about Section 524 or so. Continuing around the upper deck, the seats are ripped out around home plate and around the third base side, probably to about Section 550. The balance of the upper deck still has the blue seats installed.

I couldn't see into the lower level so who knows what's happening down there...

EDIT: So basically, no change since Woodys post. Ultimate update.:redneck

scottjanssens
12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I received an order form in the mail (or possibly email, I didn't pay much attention to it) for seats from the cell. It said the proceeds were going to White Sox Charities.

Sad
12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I drove by the stadium this morning. As near as I could tell, the upper deck is changed over on the right field side, down to about Section 524 or so. Continuing around the upper deck, the seats are ripped out around home plate and around the third base side, probably to about Section 550. The balance of the upper deck still has the blue seats installed.

I couldn't see into the lower level so who knows what's happening down there...

EDIT: So basically, no change since Woodys post. Ultimate update.:redneck

guy I work with was at a Christmas party at the Stadium Club last Wed. and said the lower & upper levels are pretty much green from the 1B/3B end of the dugouts, out to right & left field...

not sure how he could see the right foul line UD from there tho' now that I think about it...

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 01:46 PM

How long does it take to Freaking Change seats in a stadium??
I remember when they said they would be changing seats as the 05 season went along, and seeing work crawl along at a Snails Pace. They only got about 100 seats finished by the end of the season. At that pace, we can look forward to:

1/06 3 sections of UD to be finished
4/06 A few seats over by the BPBar
7/06 Some more seats in the farthest RF UD to be finished
8/06 A few rows behind SOX dugout to be finished

itsnotrequired
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
How long does it take to Freaking Change seats in a stadium??
I remember when they said they would be changing seats as the 05 season went along, and seeing work crawl along at a Snails Pace. They only got about 100 seats finished by the end of the season. At that pace, we can look forward to:

1/06 3 sections of UD to be finished
4/06 A few seats over by the BPBar
7/06 Some more seats in the farthest RF UD to be finished
8/06 A few rows behind SOX dugout to be finished

Come on now, take a look at some of the earlier posts. Upper Deck is nearly half done.

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 01:57 PM
There was an article recently in the Sun Times about the sale of the blue seats and that the money would go toward future renovations. The article didn't mention any speicifics on completion of installation.

I think they really need to brick the bullpen areas and the sportsbar walls. That would be a nice touch.

:reinsy
"OK guys, I didnt want to mention this before, what with the series and all. Heres the deal. Every blue seat you guys BUY, We can then replace with a Green Seat. These new Green seats are pretty expensive, $400 a pair!!
SO if you want Green Seats, open up them wallets and buy some blue seats from me!"

chisoxmike
12-19-2005, 07:31 PM
1) The first base side of the upper deck is done. Green seats are in. Most of the blue seats are gone from the upper deck.

For the 100 level, from behind home plate to the end of the Sox dugout, the blue seats are gone. but no green seats are in.

2) All green seats will be in for the start of 2006.

3) The original plan was to have green seats go in during the 2005 season, the team didn't want to change anything during the season since the team was doing so well, there was no need to change anything around.

PS- There was a half drank can of Bud Lite in the sox dugout this morning, and a miller lite can behind home plate.

lths06
12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
2) All green seats will be in for the start of 2006.

Why did Brooks say it would take until 2007 then?:?:

whitesoxwilkes
12-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Why did Brooks say it would take until 2007 then?:?:

Maybe Brooks types fast and hit the wrong key. Happens to the best of us.

We drove by there two Saturdays ago on the way to Michigan City (outdoor outlet malls in December are NOT a fun way to spend the day), and most of RF UD was nothing but concrete. So judging by the fact several posters have said that as they've driven through there in the past few days and seen that the RF UD is now completely done, I'm going to conclude that they're working pretty quick and we'll be completely green by Opening Night.

INSox56
12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
i'm willing to bet that since they moved up opening night for the entire baseball season to our game, they're working a little harder to get it all done by then.

And no...the Lighthouse Mall is HORRIBLE in the winter...jesus I practically run from place to place if I have to get anything.

batmanZoSo
12-19-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't see why it would take 3 offseasons to change seats anyway. If it's taking long now it's probably because it's been so frickin cold (and winter has yet to begin :o:).

INSox56
12-19-2005, 09:03 PM
I wish I had weekday season tix so I could be the first to sit in my seat for the year. :D: I guess weekend package will have to do.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Great...the seats are going green. There goes our good luck with the color mismatch. Thanks alot Brooks.

Dancin' Homer
12-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Only about two sections of blue seats in the upper deck over left field. No idea about lower deck.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Only about two sections of blue seats in the upper deck over left field. No idea about lower deck.

I drove by about 3:30...beat me to the post Homer.... :cool:

RetireWoodys28
12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
This thread has been in existence for a week now. In that period of time, the upper deck has been completely gutted and the green seats in right field have been installed. Has anyone seen the lower level recently? I'm going to try and make a run to the gift shop tomorrow, not so much for Xmas shopping but just because the curiousity is killing me!

chisoxmike
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been in existence for a week now. In that period of time, the upper deck has been completely gutted and the green seats in right field have been installed. Has anyone seen the lower level recently? I'm going to try and make a run to the gift shop tomorrow, not so much for Xmas shopping but just because the curiousity is killing me!

Yes, I stood on the field Monday. From home plate to the end of the Sox dugout, seats are gone, but no green seats in.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-21-2005, 04:17 PM
My company supplies rental chiller equipment to the Sox for the restaurant(AC Units for the tents), as well as backup power for the Cell during major games; we just sold them a new back up genset for the park also. My rental manager told me that per his contacts, the Sox are focusing on the restaurant AND the seats, and are working to get both done as much as possible prior to Opening Day.

Dancin' Homer
12-22-2005, 08:03 AM
I drove by about 3:30...beat me to the post Homer.... :cool:

I work across the Ryan from the park, I had an advantage

AZChiSoxFan
12-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes, I stood on the field Monday. From home plate to the end of the Sox dugout, seats are gone, but no green seats in.

Was the can of Miller Lite still behind home plate?

miker
12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
No, you are not the only person to like the blue seats. Other people have said that they either dont care or really like the blue seats better.
So you're saying that we won't be seeing an "*OFFICIAL* Blue Seat Appreciation Thread?":smile:

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I work across the Ryan from the park, I had an advantage

An advantage that I cannot beat, but would trade for. Would make the post work trip to the games much easier for me!!

RetireWoodys28
12-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I was at the gift shop today and I got a 100 level view of the current situation. All the lower level blue seats from home to just past third are gone, and when I was there (around 10:30 this morning) they were tearing out seats on the first base side. Past the dugouts down both lines and throughout the outfield, everything looks the way it did last October.

There was a stack of old blue seats piled fairly close to the gift shop, and believe me I thought about it. I'd love to have one, but $6,000?!?!?!? Feh.

itsnotrequired
12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I was at the gift shop today and I got a 100 level view of the current situation. All the lower level blue seats from home to just past third are gone, and when I was there (around 10:30 this morning) they were tearing out seats on the first base side.

:bandance:

AZSoxFAN
12-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Yep - you may be. Green seats are more a tradition for the Sox than other teams. I don't think old Comisky ever had any other color than green....lots of shades, but all green. That's a 90 plus year tradition before the change to blue.

I restored my old Comisky seat, and removed over a dozen coats of paint (on the original wood seat), and they were all green. I was glued to that old narrow, hard chair all the way through the playoffs and series.:o:

dakuda
12-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Yep - you may be. Green seats are more a tradition for the Sox than other teams. I don't think old Comisky ever had any other color than green....lots of shades, but all green. That's a 90 plus year tradition before the change to blue.

I restored my old Comisky seat, and removed over a dozen coats of paint (on the original wood seat), and they were all green. I was glued to that old narrow, hard chair all the way through the playoffs and series.:o:

Wasn't there a period of time where the seats were different colors based on their price?

FRANK FORT
12-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Most Comiskey seats I've seen have at least one layer of red underneath the green.

itsnotrequired
01-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I just drove by the stadium today. There are NO blue seats left in the upper deck! Nothing but bare concrete. Even more exciting is that green seats are installed from Section 506 (right field corner) all the way around to about Section 550 (deep left field). There are only six or so sections left in the upper deck that need seats installed. Looks awesome, especially with the green awning.

I couldn't see into the lower deck so I do not know how that is coming along.

Chisox003
01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I just drove by the stadium today. There are NO blue seats left in the upper deck! Nothing but bare concrete. Even more exciting is that green seats are installed from Section 506 (right field corner) all the way around to about Section 550 (deep left field). There are only six or so sections left in the upper deck that need seats installed. Looks awesome, especially with the green awning.

I was there today also, and got a look into the UD. No seats, looks pretty weird. I'll be back in a month and get a real good look inside, and will proceed to update. Can't wait.

lths06
01-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the update :cool:

Tempe
01-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Since you guys see the park all the time, post some pix!!! Whatcha waiting for? Do you have something to hide from us out-of-towners? :D:

Thanks in advance.

Tempe

dlee120
01-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I remember being able to see pictures of the renovations that were happening the last few years on whitesox.com. I dont understand why they aren't doing it this year. The seats themselves look sweet, very throwback, and the park looks excellent overall (atleast in computer generated images) with them. I cant wait for the season for all sorts of reasons!

Linkmiester (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp)

Tempe
01-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah seen that a number of times and drooled :)

C-Dawg
01-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Is the Gift Shop still open on Saturdays since its now past Christmas? I was down by the Cell today, and being Sunday of course it was closed (I just made a quick drive-by on my way down south). I wouldn't mind checking out the view from inside the park again (maybe get pics) if I can get in to the gift shop.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Is the Gift Shop still open on Saturdays since its now past Christmas? I was down by the Cell today, and being Sunday of course it was closed (I just made a quick drive-by on my way down south). I wouldn't mind checking out the view from inside the park again (maybe get pics) if I can get in to the gift shop.

I drove by on Saturday and there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. I saw people walking in and out of the stadium so I would guess it is still open.

IronFisk
01-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Same here - LOOKS FANTASTIC!

Lip Man 1
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
AzSoxFan:

Historically Sox home seats were painted different colors through the years.

In 1962 for example, seat colors were yellow, blue and red based on location and prices.

When Bill Veeck owned the team the second time seats in the first ten rows of the lower deck in left and right field were painted red since they cost more. There were sections in the left center and right center field upper deck painted in a multitude of colors (I never did find out why...)

The seats being green were actually a relatively new thing starting (I think) when Reinsdorf & Einhorn bought the team. The seats were painted as part of the massive overhaul of the original Comiskey Park.

Personally I felt green seats under the arc lights for a night game with yellow painted railings were the best looking of all.

Lip

dickallen15
01-08-2006, 07:37 PM
AzSoxFan:

Historically Sox home seats were painted different colors through the years.

In 1962 for example, seat colors were yellow, blue and red based on location and prices.

When Bill Veeck owned the team the second time seats in the first ten rows of the lower deck in left and right field were painted red since they cost more. There were sections in the left center and right center field upper deck painted in a multitude of colors (I never did find out why...)

The seats being green were actually a relatively new thing starting (I think) when Reinsdorf & Einhorn bought the team. The seats were painted as part of the massive overhaul of the original Comiskey Park.

Personally I felt green seats under the arc lights for a night game with yellow painted railings were the best looking of all.

Lip

I believe I read the reason some seats were painted all different colors almost like a rainbow was to give an illusion people were sitting in them.

chisox77
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I love green seats, especially when I have a ticket reserved to sit in one of them!

:cool:

A.T. Money
01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah they need to paint the railings yellow again! That would be awesome to go with the green seats.

1951Campbell
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah they need to paint the railings yellow again! That would be awesome to go with the green seats.

Absolutely. Most distinctive color combo in the bigs.

RoobarbPie
01-09-2006, 09:45 AM

I'm with you ATM, I miss those yellow railings too.... I forgot about this, and it would be a good idea

SaltyPretzel
01-09-2006, 11:12 AM

Email Brooks. :smile:

skobabe8
01-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm with you ATM, I miss those yellow railings too.... I forgot about this, and it would be a good idea

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those railings weren't yellow. They were gold. I believe those were the gold boxes, right?

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
When I was at Comiskey Park in the 60's and 70's the railings were lemon yellow...not gold.

Lip

dickallen15
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those railings weren't yellow. They were gold. I believe those were the gold boxes, right?
I believe you are right, they called the infield lower boxes "Golden Boxes" but I'm pretty sure the paint was yellow. It was only yellow in the "golden box" portion of the park.

doogiec
01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
I can't remember important things, but I can remember stupid things like this pretty clearly:

The seats were painted different colors based on the section type (box, reserved, Gen Ad) during the sixties and first half of the seventies. Modern stadiums all tended to color code their sections, so the Sox did the same thing in White Sox Park. Blue and red were the main colors.

When Veeck took over in 1976, he tested the concept of checkerboard seats(every other seat a different color) in a couple of upper deck outfield sections that were generally never used. It looked ugly, he did not like it, so he did not move forward with that idea. Instead everything was painted green, and I'm 99% positive the seats were green throughout in 1977.

When the current owners took over, they tore out the wooden seats in the lower deck boxes between the dugouts (but in front of the support beams) and the upper deck boxes behind home plate and replaced them with green plastic seats. They painted the new railings yellow in the new lower deck box section, as part of the marketing of what they now called "Gold Boxes". A lot of fans at the time hated the yellow railings because they were symbolic of elitism (Gold Boxes were marketed to corporations heavily, along with the new skyboxes, something new to Sox fans). The rest of the railings remained white in the park. They may have been yellow at some point earlier in time, but I definitely don't remember that at all. A couple of Polaroids I have from the mid 70's show white rails.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Doog:

If you go to Leo Bauby's White Sox picture web site and check out the photos of some of the players in the 60's (Ken Berry for example in 1962) you'll see yellow railings and different color seats in the background.

Lip

doogiec
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Doog:

If you go to Leo Bauby's White Sox picture web site and check out the photos of some of the players in the 60's (Ken Berry for example in 1962) you'll see yellow railings and different color seats in the background.

Lip

Yes, you're correct. From flipping through those pictures, it appears the railings weren't painted all white until 1977. I'm not real good with color, but it almost looks like some were red in the early seventies as well. I have an old polaroid of myself with Brian Downing (definitely pre Veeck, he's in red pinstripes) and the railing behind us looks white, so I don't know if they were different colors like the seats. Cool web site, those pictures appear to confirm the seats were painted green in 1977.

If anyone wants to see the "checkerboard" section in left center field, check out Ken Brett's 1976 picture in the same web site. It appears in the upper right corner of the picture.

skobabe8
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
When I was at Comiskey Park in the 60's and 70's the railings were lemon yellow...not gold.

LipI know, I know. I guess I should have made myself more clear. The rails were yellow, but they were labeled "Golden Boxes" so one would assume that they were supposed to represent the color gold.

A.T. Money
01-09-2006, 10:46 PM
OK who is brave enough to email Brooks with the suggesting on painting the railings yellow?

Originally, they were that mint green color.

BTW, those railings were bright yellow....no question about it.

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I saw this thread and i had to chime in. I am currently one of the people working on the installation of the new seats. There is about five or six sections left in the upper deck. The lower deck will have new seats in sections 122 through 142. The rest will be done next offseason. I have also heard that the skyboxes will have new seats too. I'm not sure when that will be done though. I'll try to remember to bring my camera and get some pics for you guys.
Joe

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I saw this thread and i had to chime in. I am currently one of the people working on the installation of the new seats. There is about five or six sections left in the upper deck. The lower deck will have new seats in sections 122 through 142. The rest will be done next offseason. I have also heard that the skyboxes will have new seats too. I'm not sure when that will be done though. I'll try to remember to bring my camera and get some pics for you guys.
Joe

What? C'mon Joe, let's get on this! I want new seats in 151 for the 2006 season. :wink:

patbooyah
Joe

well, then maybe you can answer my question...

why is it taking so long?

oh, and welcome.

itsnotrequired
Joe

Thanks for the updates. Pics would be awesome!

Any idea why the rest of the lower bowl isn't getting completed by opening day? Seems like there would be plenty of time, assuming a large enough workforce. Are the Sox doing it all "in-house" or have they contracted out the installation?

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the updates. Pics would be awesome!

Any idea why the rest of the lower bowl isn't getting completed by opening day? Seems like there would be plenty of time, assuming a large enough workforce. Are the Sox doing it all "in-house" or have they contracted out the installation?
The in house carpenters removed all the old seats. The installation of the new seats is contracted out. It is the same company that was there last year to install the new bleachers,scout seats, and the terrace level seats. As to why all of them are not getting done, the would not have enough time. Right now we are about a week ahead of schedule, but there is still a lot that has to be done. For example, all the seats in the upper deck are in, but they still need to be straightened out and adjusted. Basically right now they are all hand tight. Going back and adjusting is going to eat up a lot of time.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 08:15 PM
The in house carpenters removed all the old seats. The installation of the new seats is contracted out. It is the same company that was there last year to install the new bleachers,scout seats, and the terrace level seats. As to why all of them are not getting done, the would not have enough time. Right now we are about a week ahead of schedule, but there is still a lot that has to be done. For example, all the seats in the upper deck are in, but they still need to be straightened out and adjusted. Basically right now they are all hand tight. Going back and adjusting is going to eat up a lot of time.

Seems like tearing out the old seats and putting the new seats in is a lot more involved than I imagined. If you don't mind, would you be able to post a step-by-step procedure detailing what is all involved? Sounds like each seat has to be visited a minimum of three times (removal, rough installation, final placement). Those steps alone would take a long time. Are there more steps involved? Does the concrete need to be evaluated? New anchor holes drilled? How many workers are involved with the installation? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your input.

oeo
01-11-2006, 08:25 PM
So why can't they do the lower deck at the same time as the upper deck? They can't finish in three more months?

Man, I was hoping it was all going to be green by next year. :(: But I guess I can look at the bright side, we won't be able to see the seat colors next year. :D:

miker
01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
So why can't they do the lower deck at the same time as the upper deck? They can't finish in three more months?

Man, I was hoping it was all going to be green by next year. :(:
It's not easy being green...

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Seems like tearing out the old seats and putting the new seats in is a lot more involved than I imagined. If you don't mind, would you be able to post a step-by-step procedure detailing what is all involved? Sounds like each seat has to be visited a minimum of three times (removal, rough installation, final placement). Those steps alone would take a long time. Are there more steps involved? Does the concrete need to be evaluated? New anchor holes drilled? How many workers are involved with the installation? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your input.
When the old seats are removed, the old anchor bolts are snapped off. That leaves a hole in the concrete and is filled in with epoxy. New holes are then drilled and cleaned out. Then new epoxy is put in along with new anchor bolts. The new epoxy takes 2-3 days to cure. After that is done the new steel is installed(the part you always reast your arm on). The steel also has the brackets for the seat to pop up when your not sitting in it. Every piece of steel has to then be bolted up. As soon as that is done, the seat backs are then installed followed by the seats. When this is done, all bolts and screws are just snug. The reason for this is because we have to go back and make adjustments. As of right now, NONE of the seats are adjusted. They also have to be numbered. The adjusting is the part that is going to take the longest. As far as the size of the crew, we have about ten people right now because a few recently quit. I have a few pictures from a couple weeks ago, but i have to figure out how to post them.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 08:40 PM
When the old seats are removed, the old anchor bolts are snapped off. That leaves a hole in the concrete and is filled in with epoxy. New holes are then drilled and cleaned out. Then new epoxy is put in along with new anchor bolts. The new epoxy takes 2-3 days to cure. After that is done the new steel is installed(the part you always reast your arm on). The steel also has the brackets for the seat to pop up when your not sitting in it. Every piece of steel has to then be bolted up. As soon as that is done, the seat backs are then installed followed by the seats. When this is done, all bolts and screws are just snug. The reason for this is because we have to go back and make adjustments. As of right now, NONE of the seats are adjusted. They also have to be numbered. The adjusting is the part that is going to take the longest. As far as the size of the crew, we have about ten people right now because a few recently quit. I have a few pictures from a couple weeks ago, but i have to figure out how to post them.

Only 10 people?!?!?! Holy ****! No wonder why it won't be done by opening day! I'll gladly take a leave of absence to work at the park everyday if you need help. :cool:

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I'll gladly take a leave of absence to work at the park everyday if you need help. :cool:
I've been a white sox fan all my life, so having the chance to work there was like a dream come true. It is really cool waking up every day and going to the ballpark. But in a way it is kinda depressing. I walk in and nothing is going on. I can't smell popcorn. I can't smell the grilled onions. No churro vendors. No beer stands are open(always sad sight to see a beer stand closed)

TheOldRoman
01-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, if Chicagojoe is to be believed, the Sox may have plans to reconfigure the baseline seats past the dugouts so they face the mound.
That would obviously be a big task, but as of now they dont have anything else to do next offseason.

Joe, will the outfield seats be replaced too, or nothing past the dugouts?

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Sounds like quite the process! Epoxy curing time aside, how many average manhours are spent on each seat?

Check out some of the free photo hosting websites for info on how to post pictures.

http://www.imageshack.us/

http://www.photobucket.com/

You can also upload photos directly to WSI.

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 08:49 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/[img=http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3303/im0003335bk.th.jpg] (http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im0003335bk.jpg)this is from a couple weeks ago

Brian26
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, if Chicagojoe is to be believed, the Sox may have plans to reconfigure the baseline seats past the dugouts so they face the mound.
That would obviously be a big task, but as of now they dont have anything else to do next offseason.

It would be a multi-million dollar project. The entire lower bowl would have to be ripped out and re-constructed with new concrete. Not going to happen in this lifetime. The entire design of the park is based on the seating bowl facing a point behind the second base bag.

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Joe, will the outfield seats be replaced too, or nothing past the dugouts?[/quote]
Nothing past the dugouts

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
I've been a white sox fan all my life, so having the chance to work there was like a dream come true. It is really cool waking up every day and going to the ballpark. But in a way it is kinda depressing. I walk in and nothing is going on. I can't smell popcorn. I can't smell the grilled onions. No churro vendors. No beer stands are open(always sad sight to see a beer stand closed)

That is totally sad. Have you walked out on the field? My friend was a supervisor last year for the suites at Miller Park. We often got to stay long after the game was over and finish off the kegs. Once, we decided to walk onto the field and we each took a turn running from third to home and sliding (as if it was a close sac fly play). Surprisingly we didn't get into trouble. It could be cause it was so late that only the people that cleaned the seats and aisles were there. Anyway, it was pretty damn cool. The grass was soft as hell, but for some reason the dirt around home plate was not soft at all. However, I didn't quite mind having scrapes from sliding into home plate at Miller Park. :cool:

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Nothing past the dugouts

Lousy full-season ticket holders get all the breaks.:wink:

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2300/im0003343af.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6400/im0003356dg.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/7571/im0003361tk.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1272/im0003378oi.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1599/im0003336bl.jpg

I took these pics in the middle of december

SoxFan64
01-11-2006, 09:04 PM
ChicagoJoe,

Thanks for the pictures and information. Being 800 miles away it is nice to know what is going on at the home of the World Champions.

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Wow...thanks for the pictures Joe! The dark green looks much nicer. Those blue seats stuck out like a sore thumb!

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I'll take some newer pics tomorrow

C-Dawg
01-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow, really looks odd with all that snow there!

Thanks for the updates; looking forward to the new pics Joe.

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Heres a little inside tip for everyone. Not all the seats are the same width. They range from 18 inches to 22 inches. If you look on the bottom of the seat(the part the you actually sit on) look for a number. If there is no number, then it is an 18 inch seat. 90 percent of them are 19 or 20 inches. The wider seats are primarily in the first two rows of every section.

sox1970
01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow, the green seats look great. The difference is amazing compared to when the park opened 15 years ago.

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Heres a little inside tip for everyone. Not all the seats are the same width. They range from 18 inches to 22 inches. If you look on the bottom of the seat(the part the you actually sit on) look for a number. If there is no number, then it is an 18 inch seat. 90 percent of them are 19 or 20 inches. The wider seats are primarily in the first two rows of every section.

So is that the 22" seats that are in the first couple rows? Is there a pattern to the seats (i.e. first two rows 22", next four 20", next four 19", etc.)? Is the pattern the same in the upper deck as in the lower?

Those pics look awesome especially since my seats are in there (Section 520). I believe The Dude and Chips are as well (Section 518?)

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
So is that the 22" seats that are in the first couple rows? Is there a pattern to the seats (i.e. first two rows 22", next four 20", next four 19", etc.)? Is the pattern the same in the upper deck as in the lower?

On most sections(not all), the first two rows are 22 inches. After that there really is no order. I have not looked at the prints for the lower section yet, so i am not sure if it will be the same as the upper level(as far as sizes are)

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
On most sections(not all), the first two rows are 22 inches. After that there really is no order. I have not looked at the prints for the lower section yet, so i am not sure if it will be the same as the upper level(as far as sizes are)

Ah, so those larger seat sizes are in the upper deck as well. Great news!:bandance:

How wide were the old seats?

chicagojoe
01-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Ah, so those larger seat sizes are in the upper deck as well. Great news!:bandance:

How wide were the old seats?
Good question
I'm gonna have to check and see

SouthSide_HitMen
01-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the great pics and updates Joe! Also, the beer is on me this season if you get 22 inch seats for Section 526 Row 9 :)

PS - Change this to the Green Tomato Award!

:tomatoaward

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the great pics and updates Joe! Also, the beer is on me this season if you get 22 inch seats for Section 526 Row 9 :)

Same here for Section 520, Row 6, Seats 1-2.:cool:

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the great pics and updates Joe! Also, the beer is on me this season if you get 22 inch seats for Section 526 Row 9

I gotcha for the 2007 season if you hook up section 151 row 1 seats 5 & 6 with some wide seats when you install them next offseason. :cool:

itsnotrequired
01-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I gotcha for the 2007 season if you hook up section 151 row 1 seats 5 & 6 with some wide seats when you install them next offseason. :cool:

I'm sure a couple random green seats in 151 wouldn't raise any eyebows.:wink:

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm sure a couple random green seats in 151 wouldn't raise any eyebows.:wink:

Hee hee hee. That would be nice too!

chicagojoe: Um, I don't know sir. I thought 151 was on the list. Well, I only have row 1 done. Maybe we should just leave it.

Tempe
01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll try to remember to bring my camera and get some pics for you guys.

http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

lths06
01-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the inside info Chicagojoe :smile: Can you please tell us if the aisle seats have various Sox logos on them?

paciorek1983
01-11-2006, 11:37 PM
As happy as I am with the green seats going in, it makes me just as unhappy that we will still have to see those crappy blue seats. It makes me hate the blue seats even more and I can't wait for them to all be gone!!

Palehose13
01-11-2006, 11:43 PM
As happy as I am with the green seats going in, it makes me just as unhappy that we will still have to see those crappy blue seats. It makes me hate the blue seats even more and I can't wait for them to all be gone!!

I'm going to bring in a dark green sharpie marker and work on my seats. I figure I should have them done by July. :D:

paciorek1983
01-11-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm going to bring in a dark green sharpie marker and work on my seats. I figure I should have them done by July. :D:

Honestly, I feel like going in there and doing that or taking a can of that spray paint that clings to plastic. Uuugh I can't stand those blue seats anymore.

IlliniSox4Life
01-12-2006, 12:39 AM
It seems really odd that they wont have em all changed out in time for the next season. I understand how it wont be done since it's all in house guys (btw, joe, tell your fellow workers from the pics they seem to be doing a great job). I just don't see why they wouldn't have hired some extra help. This is the home of the World Champions after all.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the seat sizes. I always figured they were all the same. Now if only ticketmaster would let me search by seat size!

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 12:47 AM
BTW, thanks for the tip on the seat sizes. I always figured they were all the same. Now if only ticketmaster would let me search by seat size!

Well at least most of us now know that our goal is to get our asses at 20" or under by April 2nd! :redneck

TomBradley72
01-12-2006, 07:17 AM
It seems really odd that they wont have em all changed out in time for the next season. I understand how it wont be done since it's all in house guys (btw, joe, tell your fellow workers from the pics they seem to be doing a great job). I just don't see why they wouldn't have hired some extra help. This is the home of the World Champions after all.

Agreed....several stadiums have gone through this transition...I don't recall any other taking more than one off season to complete...much less what will amount to three including next winter. Oh well...no one will see the color of a lower bowl seat all season any way. :cool:

vernhillssoxfan
01-12-2006, 07:52 AM
From some of the pictures it looks like the seats are torn out in the lower bowl as well. (It least thats what it looks like to me?)

nasox
01-12-2006, 08:09 AM
I wonder if it would be cheaper to contract help in large numbers for one offseason rather than do a third of the help for three years.

And thanks Joe, input and pics greatly appreciated.

Law11
01-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Anyone catch the argument on Mac, Jurko & Harry yesterday..
Jurko or Harry talking about the Cell wanting to look mre ike Wrigley every day.. Ivy now the green seats.. Mac jumped all over it... Said yes evidently the cubs created Green paint in 1906.... then went on to say lets see how much the Cell will looks like Wrigley on April 2 when the Championship Banner is raised..
I laughed hard at that...

chicagojoe
01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3739/im0003389ns.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3061/im0003395wm.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6340/im0003457nc.jpg

chicagojoe
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9213/im0003594tq.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1937/im0003617nz.jpg

robertks61
01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Agreed....several stadiums have gone through this transition...I don't recall any other taking more than one off season to complete...much less what will amount to three including next winter. Oh well...no one will see the color of a lower bowl seat all season any way. :cool:

Look on the Dodgers website, every seat but the outfield bleachers including the new dugout box seats that went in last year.

chicagojoe
01-12-2006, 05:08 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6524/im0003569ff.jpg

This is where you can find the size of the seat
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5448/im0003576jb.jpg

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Sweet pics. Thanks chicagojoe! Now remember...151, row 1 and if it isn't too much to make then 22"? :wink:

chicagojoe
01-12-2006, 05:24 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9206/im0003519si.jpg
I didn't know what this was at first but i found out that at soxfest a few years ago they let people sign one of the beams that was going to be used for the new roof. It's in section 554

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9040/im0003660wi.jpg

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I didn't know what this was at first but i found out that at soxfest a few years ago they let people sign one of the beams that was going to be used for the new roof. It's in section 554

I always wondered where that was. I'm on that (with a few thousand other people...). :D:

chisox77
01-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey ChicagoJoe, thanks! Those are great pics, and the Cell looks even better than I thought it would with even a partial appearance of green seats. The close-ups of the seats are very helpful - they look great, love the SOX logo on the ones that are on the ends of the rows.

About that "signed beam" - in 2004 when that awesome flat, black steel roof was installed, the White Sox let the workers sign one of the beams before they raised it to finish off the project. They made it a ceremony, and posted pics of it on whitesox.com about two months before the 2004 season started.

Anyway, ChicagoJoe, thanks for the "inside scoop" and images. I, like many White Sox fans, where waiting anxiously for some visuals regarding the green seat installation. And welcome aboard!

:cool:

Palehose13
01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
About that "signed beam" - in 2004 when that awesome flat, black steel roof was installed, the White Sox let the workers sign one of the beams before they raised it to finish off the project. They made it a ceremony, and posted pics of it on whitesox.com about two months before the 2004 season started.

They did that, but they also had a beam at SoxFest for fans to sign.

chisox77
01-12-2006, 06:55 PM
You're right, Palehose 13, and given where that beam is located, that's the one that may have your signature on. I do remember pictures of the beam at SoxFest '04, because there was a photo with Billy Pierce posing next to it (he was either looking at it, or signing it, or something).

paciorek1983
01-12-2006, 07:23 PM
They did that, but they also had a beam at SoxFest for fans to sign.

I signed that beam. It would be cool if I could get a good look at it.

Corlose 15
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
ChicagoJoe thanks for the great pics and you guys are doing a great job.

I seem to remember when they first announced the new seats that they would do some sections during road trips. Now it appears that that idea has been scrapped. Would something like that even be possible, to completely replace a section of seats over a 9-12 game road trip?

Revolution29
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6524/im0003569ff.jpg

I cannot be the only one here who finds this picture just flat out cool! I mean, it looks like something out of the old park, and the incline doesn't look as steep as with the blue either.

Of course, green seats are what won us the championship. :rolleyes:

lths06
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I cannot be the only one here who finds this picture just flat out cool! I mean, it looks like something out of the old park, and the incline doesn't look as steep as with the blue either.

Of course, green seats are what won us the championship. :rolleyes:

You're right, it doesn't look as steep. Not sure why it has that effect over the blue...

Red Barchetta
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
From the pictures it looks like they will have all the seats in by opening day. The upper deck is almost done and the lower deck appears half way done. How many seats do they predict will still be blue and where?

lths06
01-12-2006, 09:49 PM
From the pictures it looks like they will have all the seats in by opening day. The upper deck is almost done and the lower deck appears half way done. How many seats do they predict will still be blue and where?

Read Chicagojoe's other posts in this thread...

Brian26
01-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow. I know they are just seats, but those pictures are incredible. The ornamental work on the end seat with the S-O-X 1917 logo is outstanding.

IlliniSox4Life
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow. I know they are just seats, but those pictures are incredible. The ornamental work on the end seat with the S-O-X 1917 logo is outstanding.

Im a big fan too. Who would've known green seats could do that to somebody?

Fortunately now I have to force myself to buy one of these so I match the seats:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2225424reg.jpg

itsnotrequired
01-13-2006, 11:22 AM

I was thinking about these widths and something doesn't seem right. 22" vs. 18" is a difference of 4". Assuming 16 seats in the front rows of the upper deck, this would mean there is a 64" difference when comparing 18" seats to 22" seats. There isn't space to do this unless 2 or 3 seats are removed from the front rows.

I recall all the rows in the front few rows having the same number of seats. Is this going to be different for this season? Will there actually be fewer seats in the park do to the wider seats?

russ99
01-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I rode the metra to the South Side this weekend, and the upper deck looks complete.

Wow, those all-green seats and matching roof look incredible. This will make a MAJOR difference in overall atmosphere, even if the seats will be a lot more full of people this season. :)

CPditka
01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
I rode the metra to the South Side this weekend, and the upper deck looks complete.

Wow, those all-green seats and matching roof look incredible. This will make a MAJOR difference in overall atmosphere, even if the seats will be a lot more full of people this season. :)

We need some pics!!

Hangar18
01-16-2006, 03:29 PM

That is definitely RIDICULOUS. Do you realize that its taking them LONGER to put new seats in than its taking for the New Cardinals Ballpark to be finished? Something just isnt right here ...........

spiffie
01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I know this is kind of off-topic, but after the season do they do any sort of inspection of the park and replace broken seats or anything of that sort? I ask because my seat was screwed up by the end of last year, but sadly it is not in the part that is going to be replaced by next season. Am I going to be looking at another year of my seat feeling like it's going to fall off when I sit down? Am I going to have to convince my friend that we need to switch seats this year? ;)

MUsoxfan
01-16-2006, 03:40 PM
That is definitely RIDICULOUS. Do you realize that its taking them LONGER to put new seats in than its taking for the New Cardinals Ballpark to be finished? Something just isnt right here ...........

Are there only 10 guys building New Busch?

TheOldRoman
01-16-2006, 03:43 PM
That is definitely RIDICULOUS. Do you realize that its taking them LONGER to put new seats in than its taking for the New Cardinals Ballpark to be finished? Something just isnt right here ........... Well, the seats needed to be replaced (15 year lifespan), so they are "general maintainence". I believe the ISFA is paying for the seats. Since it is just routine replacement, they have the same crew that likely works everyday at the park; fixing toilets, changing lightbulbs, and other overlooked things. The Sox are doing it that way because that crew is already on the payroll. The Sox would have to pay extra crews to come in if they wanted it done this offseason. As Chicagojoe said, the Sox arent bringing in many more people to put the seats in. They dont want to pay out of their own pockets when the seats will get done by the regulars.
The Cardinals, on the other hand, have lots and lots of crews, probably working around the clock to get it done on time. Besides that, I believe all the seats were installed in the half of the park already built by the beginning of November. They arent putting 40,000 seats in in the next two months.

And yes, I am just a little upset that it wont be done for this year. Every empty blue seat shows up badly and sticks out on TV (I am not talking about unsold seats, just people in the bathroom or on the concourse). Green seats blend in. It looks bad seeing the outfield with empty patches, and it is unavoidable no matter how many seats are sold. I was hoping they would at least get the outfield in, but oh well.

Red Barchetta
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Read Chicagojoe's other posts in this thread...

My bad. I should have dug a little deeper. I think we're all anxious for the ballpark to be "done".

It went from a sterile, bad ballmall (original) to a pretty good ballpark (revised bullpens, fence and concourse) to a very nice ballpark (new upper deck, Fundamemtals, Fan Deck and green seats) in a matter of 7 years. I hope the SOX brass continue to work with the ISA and other corporate sponsors to continue upgrading the ballpark with small, inexpensive improvements.

#1 on my list is to keep bricking over exposed concrete, pressbox and hopefully the concourse itself. Considering what the ballpark cost in 1990 compared to the cost of the ballparks that came after Comiskey II, it's still relatively inexpensive.

The fans deserve it!!!!

dickallen15
01-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I was thinking about these widths and something doesn't seem right. 22" vs. 18" is a difference of 4". Assuming 16 seats in the front rows of the upper deck, this would mean there is a 64" difference when comparing 18" seats to 22" seats. There isn't space to do this unless 2 or 3 seats are removed from the front rows.

I recall all the rows in the front few rows having the same number of seats. Is this going to be different for this season? Will there actually be fewer seats in the park do to the wider seats?

I have seats in 329 . Last year they obviously switched to the green seats in the club level. My friend who has tickets with me and I were talking to some people in 328 well before the opening game and sat down in the 3rd or 4th row there. The seat was tight. I didn't say anything but I thought I must have gained 30 lbs. or so from last season or the new seats were much smaller. We then went to our seats and they were fine, not nearly as tight. I told my buddy about how I thought I had piled on the pounds and he started laughing telling me he thought the same thing. Unless you are small, stay away from sect. 328.

dcb56
01-16-2006, 08:48 PM
The Cardinals, on the other hand, have lots and lots of crews, probably working around the clock to get it done on time. Besides that, I believe all the seats were installed in the half of the park already built by the beginning of November. They arent putting 40,000 seats in in the next two months.

All this talk of "Well, if the Cardinals can finish Busch in one offseason, why can't the White Sox change all the seats?" is getting borderline silly because as you pointed out, the Cardinals have an entire army working on the park, and even with round the clock crews, sections in the outfield corners won't be finished by Opening Day. Construction of their park won't be complete until July:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/ticketing/full_season.jsp

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
All this talk of "Well, if the Cardinals can finish Busch in one offseason, why can't the White Sox change all the seats?" is getting borderline silly because as you pointed out, the Cardinals have an entire army working on the park, and even with round the clock crews, sections in the outfield corners won't be finished by Opening Day. Construction of their park won't be complete until July:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/ticketing/full_season.jsp

I dont buy it. Sure theyve got an army of people working on the building an entire stadium, they should be able to replace seats in a park in one offseason, not 3. If anyone remembers, last offseason they started replacing chairs and were only able to get the middle deck done, and the scout seats. Pathetic. get the job done

anewman35
01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I dont buy it. Sure theyve got an army of people working on the building an entire stadium, they should be able to replace seats in a park in one offseason, not 3. If anyone remembers, last offseason they started replacing chairs and were only able to get the middle deck done, and the scout seats. Pathetic. get the job done

What? That makes no sense at all. The point is the Sox DON'T have an entire army of people working on the seats, so it's taking a while. You of all people should be able to understand that - you want as much money as possible to go to payroll, right? Well, then be happy they aren't spending tons of money hiring 100 people just so seats are green a year earlier.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
What? That makes no sense at all. The point is the Sox DON'T have an entire army of people working on the seats, so it's taking a while. You of all people should be able to understand that - you want as much money as possible to go to payroll, right? Well, then be happy they aren't spending tons of money hiring 100 people just so seats are green a year earlier.

It wouldn't take 100 guys. A crew of 40 should have been able to pull it off in one off-seaon. I believe Hangar's complaint lies with the fact that a "first-rate" outfit like the Sox shouldn't be nickle-and-diming the upgrades. Hiring the extra workers would not be a gigantic expense that would negatively impact player salaries. If anything, the situation with ISFA is preventing the hiring of a large work crew. Just a guess though...

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 09:54 AM
It wouldn't take 100 guys. A crew of 40 should have been able to pull it off in one off-seaon. I believe Hangar's complaint lies with the fact that a "first-rate" outfit like the Sox shouldn't be nickle-and-diming the upgrades. Hiring the extra workers would not be a gigantic expense that would negatively impact player salaries. If anything, the situation with ISFA is preventing the hiring of a large work crew. Just a guess though...

At that rate, the SOX began replacing the Seats at the same time Ground Was Broken for the Cardinals-Petco/Camden park. That park will be Finished and operating before we even have 1/2 the seats replaced. The SOX are just now telling us that all the seats STILL wont be finished until 2007. Again, I find that a bit ridiculous.

IronFisk
01-17-2006, 10:31 AM
It would be a multi-million dollar project. The entire lower bowl would have to be ripped out and re-constructed with new concrete. Not going to happen in this lifetime. The entire design of the park is based on the seating bowl facing a point behind the second base bag.

Not the way I see it - and I think this plays to the issue of why those lower bowl seats have to wait an addtional year.

First off...NO concrete will need to be repoured. When I visited PNC and Jacobs Field, their 1st and 3rd base line seats beyond the dugout simply angled in towards the infield, which made a world of difference. As I have complained about in the past, those seats at the Cell face right into the outfield as they are parallel to the baseline.

As mentioned in ballparks.com about Jacobs...

Jacobs Field is similar in look and feel to Baltimoreís Camden Yards, opened two years earlier. But the Indians did some things with their ballpark that the Orioles didnít. The seats down both lines are angled towards home plate so that fans donít need to turn their heads to watch the game.

Actually, about every new stadium or renovation is turing to this new type of product which is called "redirected seating" by a top producer - Hussey. Here's a graphic example of how a simple 12 degree angle can be of great comfort to our necks:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/RedirectedSeating.gif

Methinks since this is not your typical "ripout and replace" project, that extra time may be needed to re-fit these seats properly - "may" involve some new concrete work, but as you can clearly see, it's most likely not necessary.

And this concludes my research :redneck

anewman35
01-17-2006, 10:33 AM
At that rate, the SOX began replacing the Seats at the same time Ground Was Broken for the Cardinals-Petco/Camden park. That park will be Finished and operating before we even have 1/2 the seats replaced. The SOX are just now telling us that all the seats STILL wont be finished until 2007. Again, I find that a bit ridiculous.

Again, it's not really a fair comparision. If the Sox had thought it was worth the money to get the seats in during one season, they would have. Clearly, they decided it didn't matter. I'd have to tend to agree with them. Sure, green seats are great long term, but what's another year? Last I checked, we did ok with the blue/green mix last year.

Oh, "will be Finished and operating before we even have 1/2 the seats replaced" is off, I think. We'll have the entire upper deck, the entire club level, and about a quarter of the lower deck green. That's gotta be more than half the seats.

Baby Fisk
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
The SOX are just now telling us that all the seats STILL wont be finished until 2007. Again, I find that a bit ridiculous.Agreed. With the season ticket base now at 20,000, the Sox should be flush enough with cash to pay for a (small) army to finish the seats in a timely fashion.

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Not the way I see it - and I think this plays to the issue of why those lower bowl seats have to wait an addtional year.

First off...NO concrete will need to be repoured. When I visited PNC and Jacobs Field, their 1st and 3rd base line seats beyond the dugout simply angled in towards the infield, which made a world of difference. As I have complained about in the past, those seats at the Cell face right into the outfield as they are parallel to the baseline.

Jacobs Field is similar in look and feel to Baltimoreís Camden Yards, opened two years earlier. But the Indians did some things with their ballpark that the Orioles didnít. The seats down both lines are angled towards home plate so that fans donít need to turn their heads to watch the game.

Actually, about every new stadium or renovation is turing to this new type of product which is called "redirected seating" by a top producer - Hussey. Here's a graphic example of how a simple 12 degree angle can be of great comfort to our necks:

Methinks since this is not your typical "ripout and replace" project, that extra time may be needed to re-fit these seats properly - "may" involve some new concrete work, but as you can clearly see, it's most likely not necessary.

Excellent research. The seats you talk about are also the "norm" at Petco Park. I sat in those seats and yeah ................. you wouldnt believe just how comfortable they are compared to our seats now, which stare into CF
and not the pitchers mound, where 90% of the game is taking place.

IronFisk
01-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Excellent research. The seats you talk about are also the "norm" at Petco Park. I sat in those seats and yeah ................. you wouldnt believe just how comfortable they are compared to our seats now, which stare into CF
and not the pitchers mound, where 90% of the game is taking place.

Thanks!

I would argue over 95% of the game is played in the infield - especially when Buerhle pitches :D:.

Stoky44
01-17-2006, 10:59 AM

I have sat in PetCo's seats, and the way they are angled is so much better to see a game. I saw PetCo 2 years ago, when it first opened, and that was one of the first things I noticed. I saw how the seats were angled before I even sat in them and knew it would make a world of difference. I commented to my brother, how I thought the Sox should try to do the same thing. I thought at PetCo they had the concrete angled, but it is nice to see you could do this by adjusting the seats. I hope the Sox thought about this before putting in the new seats in the lower bowl. I don't think they do the angle thing with the upper tank.

SaltyPretzel
01-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Is there any word that the Sox are planning on installing the seats at an angle?

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Is there any word that the Sox are planning on installing the seats at an angle?

This could be the real reason the SOX are taking a year to finish the deal.
LETS HOPE SO!!!!

IronFisk
01-17-2006, 11:21 AM

My strong "hunch" is yes - since all new stadiums and renovations are using these. Just makes sense.

IronFisk
01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
I thought at PetCo they had the concrete angled, but it is nice to see you could do this by adjusting the seats. I hope the Sox thought about this before putting in the new seats in the lower bowl. I don't think they do the angle thing with the upper tank.

That is the best part - no major structual work necessary. As for the UD, it's basic shape negates the need for angled seats.

ChiSoxGirl
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I have sat in PetCo's seats, and the way they are angled is so much better to see a game. I saw PetCo 2 years ago, when it first opened, and that was one of the first things I noticed. I saw how the seats were angled before I even sat in them and knew it would make a world of difference.

I was at PetCo Park in 2004 and had great seats right across from first base on the main level. One of the first great things I took note of was the fact that I didn't have to adjust how I sat in my seat to see the many aspects of the game. I was comfortable throughout the whole experience and it was amazing to me what a difference a slight angle in my seat made.

skobabe8
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
My strong "hunch" is yes - since all new stadiums and renovations are using these. Just makes sense.

Almost too much sense.

It probably won't happen.

:D:

C-Dawg
01-17-2006, 04:39 PM
This could be the real reason the SOX are taking a year to finish the deal.
LETS HOPE SO!!!!

So if I read this thread correctly, the last sections that are remaining blue are the ones possibly subject to this "aiming" (except for the sections in the OF where it doesn't apply). I think the fact they are saving these sections for last is because they ARE going to look into redirecting them.

At least that's my optimistic thinking for this evening.

TornLabrum
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Please notice that (as often happens here) speculation is running rampant. No one has said that the Sox plan to angle the seats, and no one has said they don't plan to do so. But somebody mentions it as a possibility, and it's suddenly a done deal.

GoSox2K3
01-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I have sat in PetCo's seats, and the way they are angled is so much better to see a game. I saw PetCo 2 years ago, when it first opened, and that was one of the first things I noticed. I saw how the seats were angled before I even sat in them and knew it would make a world of difference. I commented to my brother, how I thought the Sox should try to do the same thing. I thought at PetCo they had the concrete angled, but it is nice to see you could do this by adjusting the seats. I hope the Sox thought about this before putting in the new seats in the lower bowl. I don't think they do the angle thing with the upper tank.

I made this same suggestion about angle of lower deck seats a couple of years ago hear and I was pretty much laughed off this site by a bunch of the WSI regulars and mods - who insisted that I was totally full of it to suggest that any park had any better seat angles than the Cell.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is "nuts".:tongue:

Brian26
01-17-2006, 10:08 PM

I have to eat a little crow on this and also commend your research. I had no idea this product existed, and I've never seen photos of the angled seats like this. I stand corrected. Good job.

skobabe8
01-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I have to eat a little crow on this and also commend your research. I had no idea this product existed, and I've never seen photos of the angled seats like this. I stand corrected. Good job.

Chase Field in Phoenix is like that, I believe. Its a really simple yet effective thing that could be done.

I'm going to check out the progress today when I buy my season tickets. I'll snap some photos and try to get the inside scoop and post tomorrow.

EDIT: Yep. Just found it on the D'backs website:

Seating and Tickets
Because Chase Field is a baseball-only facility, its sight lines are second to no other facility. More than 80 percent of the seats are inside the foul poles, and there is no upper deck around the outfield. What's more, the seats down the foul lines beyond the infield are slightly canted so that no fan will have to twist his or her body to look toward second base and the pitcher's mound.

chisox77
01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Skobabe, I'll look forward to your pics and your post.

"I love green seats." - Hawk

IronFisk
01-20-2006, 01:52 AM

My pleasure! Believe me, it wasn't easy finding that pic, but dangnabbit, I was going to prove my point! :redneck

Hangar18
01-20-2006, 08:45 AM
I made this same suggestion about angle of lower deck seats a couple of years ago hear and I was pretty much laughed off this site by a bunch of the WSI regulars and mods - who insisted that I was totally full of it to suggest that any park had any better seat angles than the Cell.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who is "nuts".:tongue:

I remember that happening ......... I remember being pissed at the seats facing centerfield, and that the "cool" parks face their seats towards the infield, and yeah there was alot of insults and "hangar you always complain"
comments, heh heh. Im hearing that this may be the case, ANGLED SEATS!

ChiSoxLifer
01-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I doubt that they will angle the seats. My hunch is if they were going to do so, an announcement would have been made to pique fan interest. I hope I'm wrong because it is a great idea.

itsnotrequired
01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I doubt that they will angle the seats. My hunch is if they were going to do so, an announcement would have been made to pique fan interest. I hope I'm wrong because it is a great idea.

A World Series Championship has generated enough interest. Angled seats would be like a thank you...

skobabe8
01-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, I picked up a Hit & Run plan for converted and I Wednesday and we checked out our seats. The park looks really great! As soon as the entire seating area is green it will look fantastic. I took some pics and will post them later this evening.

I dealt with "Dave" (not sure of his last name but some of you know him) and asked him a few questions:

-In regards to the entire lower level being replaced before Opening Day, he said 'maybe.' They want to completely finish the upper deck and from 122 to 142 in the lower deck first. IF THERES TIME AFTER THAT, they will try to complete the rest. If there isn't enough time by their estimation, it will have to wait until next offseason.

-In regards to possibly angling the seats down the lines like we have discussed, he said 'Its possible.' He made it sound like he had heard at least speculation about it. I told him there was a rumor floating around White Sox Interactive about it. He kind of smirked and asked "What else are they talking about?" I know I could have brought up a million different things but I spared him the grief and said "Thats about it."

Thats all I got. I know its not anything groundbreaking. I'll post the pics later.

IronFisk
01-20-2006, 04:33 PM

If it's going to be installed next year, they'll announce after the 2006 season. Even so, it may not be all that significant to warrant an "announcement".

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 01:31 AM
FWIF, I drove by the stadium today and the entire upper deck is filled with green seats. No more blue seats and no bare concrete. I assume they still need to be tightened for final position but the blue seats are definitely no more...

Tempe
01-22-2006, 02:14 AM
As I requested earlier, could one of you guys take a snapshot as you are walking past the park or if you are driving past the park? That would rock :)

Tempe

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 02:17 AM
As I requested earlier, could one of you guys take a snapshot as you are walking past the park or if you are driving past the park? That would rock :)

Tempe

Not much to see from a shoddy drive by. We need somone who steps into the seating bowl to take some pics.

Wsoxmike59
01-22-2006, 07:06 AM
I remember that happening ......... I remember being pissed at the seats facing centerfield, and that the "cool" parks face their seats towards the infield, and yeah there was alot of insults and "hangar you always complain"
comments, heh heh. Im hearing that this may be the case, ANGLED SEATS!

Me too Hangar, and IIRC the season ticket pamphlets for the New Comiskey in 1991 promised ALL SEATS down the line would be angled toward the pitcher's mound.....no more craning the neck to see the action in the INF.

Then when the park opened, only the Upper Deck seats down in the curvitured area (506-509 & 556-558) were "facing" the INF.

TomBradley72
01-22-2006, 02:11 PM
So if we're looking at a handful of 100 level sections potentiall still having blue seats on opening night...why wouldn't they at least paint them green so they won't stand out so much...then complete the full replacement next off season?

A few blue seat sections will really come across as bush league and amateurish....I know paint isn't ideal...but it seems like the lesser of two evils.

TheOldRoman
01-22-2006, 02:14 PM
So if we're looking at a handful of 100 level sections potentiall still having blue seats on opening night...why wouldn't they at least paint them green so they won't stand out so much...then complete the full replacement next off season?

A few blue seat sections will really come across as bush league and amateurish....I know paint isn't ideal...but it seems like the lesser of two evils. Painting the seats would probably take longer than replacing them. They would have to put two to three coats on, and it would be a huge mess. For anyone who is old enough to remember old Comiskey, there was paint all over the rafters (multiple coats of paint were sloppily applied to the seats over the years). It was fine for old Comiskey because it almost added character, but I don't want our sparkling new park to have green paint all over the concrete.

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Painting the seats would probably take longer than replacing them. They would have to put two to three coats on, and it would be a huge mess. For anyone who is old enough to remember old Comiskey, there was paint all over the rafters (multiple coats of paint were sloppily applied to the seats over the years). It was fine for old Comiskey because it almost added character, but I don't want our sparkling new park to have green paint all over the concrete.

The Sox could do it on the cheap and just put on one coat. If they did that though, the pant would probably start peeling after a while. Then the seats would really look like hell.

It doesn't seem worth it to spend the money to do a quality job considering they will be ripping them out after this season. They've been blue for 15 years; one more season isn't going to hurt.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Well the bleachers were painted green for the '05 season and they looked fine to me. I have yet to see blue showing through. And i live in the bleachers:o:

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Well the bleachers were painted green for the '05 season and they looked fine to me. I have yet to see blue showing through. And i live in the bleachers:o:

Aren't the bleachers new?

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Aren't the bleachers new?

No actually they brought in the bleachers when the seats were still all blue. They then painted them green when they put in the scout seats and renovated the upper deck.

oeo
01-22-2006, 02:50 PM

A few blue seat sections will really come across as bush league and amateurish....I know paint isn't ideal...but it seems like the lesser of two evils.

You won't be able to see the color of the seats, they will have people sitting in them.

Besides, there were few sections with green seats last year (scout seats, club level, and bleachers) and no one said anything. I don't see it as a real big deal, but it would be nice for them all to be the same color.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Well what i have heard is that they will all be green by opening night.....which i will be there by the way *pats self on back*. But i hope they are matching

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Well what i have heard is that they will all be green by opening night.....which i will be there by the way *pats self on back*. But i hope they are matching

Joe, go back and read the earlier posts. Seems pretty clear that not all seats will be green in 2006.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Joe, go back and read the earlier posts. Seems pretty clear that not all seats will be green in 2006.

I am telling you what i have heard. Hense when i said, i have heard. Did i say that it was definite? i dont think so

SoxFan64
01-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I am telling you what i have heard. Hense when i said, i have heard. Did i say that it was definite? i dont think so
Joe, fair enough. BTW do you want to share this "source" with your fellow hard core Sox fans? Because your news while very good IMO is at odds with the rest of the post.

I hope you are right; but without revealing your "source" it is on par with a rumor without support.

Not trying to start a fight with a fellow Sox fan just trying to figure out the truth. There is one person on this thread who is working at putting in the seats (he of the pix) and has said that the lower boxes outside of 1b and 3b will be blue as well as the outfield seats will not be changed.

No maybe I have things all mixed up in my head so please correct me with solid news not words such as "I have heard"...

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 03:39 PM
No actually they brought in the bleachers when the seats were still all blue. They then painted them green when they put in the scout seats and renovated the upper deck.

So are the bleachers physically new or not? That is, were the old bleachers thrown away and brand new ones installed. In any event, any old bleachers would have been sandblasted and properly preped for long life. They wouldn't have just "slapped some paint on der" so that's why you wouldn't see blue underneath anyway.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:18 PM
So are the bleachers physically new or not? That is, were the old bleachers thrown away and brand new ones installed. In any event, any old bleachers would have been sandblasted and properly preped for long life. They wouldn't have just "slapped some paint on der" so that's why you wouldn't see blue underneath anyway.
These bleachers i believe were the brand new ones put in either the '03 or '04 season. They were put in as the blue color we saw in the old look. then the renovation went through and they painted the concrete, re-did the upper deck, put in the scout seats (green seats), painted the bleachers green. I think they did something else too im not to sure. But yes those bleachers are failry new, definetely not as old as the original blue seats. They actually painted them with spray paint. If you go on the sox website and look at the renovation pictures, they actually show workers painting the seats with spray paint cans. hmmmm ill have to go back and find a link for u guys

SoxFan64, i heard this from various "sources". Friends whose family works at the park, others who say they read things online. So whether you want to take them as valid or not, this is what i heard. All i was trying to say in the first place is that its a rumor i heard and im just hoping it was correct (wishful thinking). I wouldnt want to see green and blue scatered around the park. i was kind of hoping they woulda hauled ass and got it dont before the '05 post season, but guess not. O well, i hope it happens though. We'll see a full green park in this years world series:bandance:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
ok i found it. go to here http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

On the left side click on the latest renovations photos link. then its the 3rd picture on the slide. It shows the wet green paint and the workers painting them. but the bleachers arent too old. Wasnt there regular seats out there before these bleachers were installed a couple years ago? i could be wrong since everything is blending together now

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
If they can't get it done before the season starts, can't they do one or two sections at a time during road trips? They can get this done this year!

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:26 PM
If they can't get it done before the season starts, can't they do one or two sections at a time during road trips? They can get this done this year!

I believe they can definetely get it done very quickly. Its an easy job too do and with enough workers, and enough money (which the sox now have!) it can get done. I dont see why not

rommel13
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
They are new bleachers. In the galleries there are other renovation photos. The galleries dated March3 clearly show that the bleachers were removed.

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 05:41 PM
ok i found it. go to here http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

On the left side click on the latest renovations photos link. then its the 3rd picture on the slide. It shows the wet green paint and the workers painting them. but the bleachers arent too old. Wasnt there regular seats out there before these bleachers were installed a couple years ago? i could be wrong since everything is blending together now

LOL! That's not wet paint, that's rain water!

It looks like the workers are re-attaching the seats and seatbacks. They would have removed those parts for painting in a shop rather than out in the elements.

itsnotrequired
01-22-2006, 05:43 PM
They are new bleachers. In the galleries there are other renovation photos. The galleries dated Feb 10 & 17 clearly show that the bleachers were removed.

But are they actually new or did they just remove the old ones for painting?

Sorry if I sound like a doof here but I've only sat in the bleachers once.:redface:

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:45 PM
o you know what my bad, the bleachers were put in this year, not in '03 or '04, they had regular seating out there before this season. But they put in blue bleachers when they did this, along with that thing in left field, i still dont know what its called. Fundamentals? yea thats it. they painted the bleachers green with the scout seating renovations.

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:46 PM
LOL! That's not wet paint, that's rain water!

It looks like the workers are re-attaching the seats and seatbacks. They would have removed those parts for painting in a shop rather than out in the elements.

Are you sure? because the ground does not look wet. i cant tell

chisoxfanatic
01-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Actually, it does!

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 05:51 PM
you know what, that would make sense that the backs and bottoms were replaced. since the numbers are on the backs itd be hard to paint around it. They must have removed that then because i know for sure they were blue at one time. my question is did they not know they would go green in the beginning? because why would u wast so much money putting in all blue bleachers, to change them half a season later

IlliniSox4Life
01-22-2006, 06:18 PM
o you know what my bad, the bleachers were put in this year, not in '03 or '04, they had regular seating out there before this season. But they put in blue bleachers when they did this, along with that thing in left field, i still dont know what its called. Fundamentals? yea thats it. they painted the bleachers green with the scout seating renovations.

Fundamentals and the scout seat renovations were done at the same time.

Edit: Added the bold. Why would they put them in this year and then paint them a different color immediately?

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
IVE FIGURED IT OUT! lol ok the bleachers were blue coming into this season. Then around march they were changed to green

skobabe8
01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
IVE FIGURED IT OUT! lol ok the bleachers were blue coming into this season. Then around march they were changed to green

:?:

JoeItalia has really confused me. But I think I know what he means. "This season" = 2005

JoeItalia7
01-22-2006, 08:16 PM
:?:

JoeItalia has really confused me. But I think I know what he means. "This season" = 2005

LOL thank you. yea im sorry i still cant get over the 2005 season, in some aspects i wish it never ends lol

Brian26
01-22-2006, 09:02 PM

It's rain water. The concrete on the bottom of the rows is wet.

tc1959
01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
When New Comiskey Park was first opened in 1991, there were bleacher sections in both left field and right field. When the bullpens were moved, the old tunnels were filled in and blue seats were installed. However, in right field, the bleachers were removed and blue seats were installed in their place. If anyone has a picture of New Comiskey Park from around 1991, you can see this for yourself.

SweetnesSox
01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
When New Comiskey Park was first opened in 1991, there were bleacher sections in both left field and right field. When the bullpens were moved, the old tunnels were filled in and blue seats were installed. However, in right field, the bleachers were removed and blue seats were installed in their place. If anyone has a picture of New Comiskey Park from around 1991, you can see this for yourself.

:?: JUST PICK SOME SEATS AND STICK WITH IT

JoeItalia7
01-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I heard that they were going to auction the blue seats. Did neone else hear of this? if so, when are they going to do this?

IlliniSox4Life
01-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I heard that they were going to auction the blue seats. Did neone else hear of this? if so, when are they going to do this?
They are onsale for $500 a pair now.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/blue_seat.jsp

EDIT: Added the link.

dickallen15
01-23-2006, 07:34 PM

Do you think they will auction off any leftover green paint they had from last years bleacher painting?

JoeItalia7
01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Do you think they will auction off any leftover green paint they had from last years bleacher painting?

We got a comedian here

TomBradley72
01-23-2006, 08:38 PM
213 posts on the color of the seats at our teams ballpark....we ARE fanatics. :cool:

nug0hs
01-24-2006, 02:30 PM
213 posts on the color of the seats at our teams ballpark....we ARE fanatics. :cool:

I feel like the real topic of this thread has become somewhat nonexistant...what is the actual green seats update?

chicagojoe
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
The bleachers were put in last year. The old ones were removed and new ones were put in.

chicagojoe
01-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I feel like the real topic of this thread has become somewhat nonexistant...what is the actual green seats update?
The actual update is the upper deck is almost complete. We were working on the last two sections when we ran into a snag. Somehow something happened with the manufacturer and the wrong seats were delivered. Work in the lower level began last week. Were still setting up down there though and getting everything laid out and drilling.

Boozer
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the update Joe. Any new pics?

Keep up the good work.

patbooyah
01-24-2006, 06:19 PM
hey joe-

this might be an innaccurate questions, but if i recall correctly, the cement underneath the seats was never painted the darker gray that a lot of the trim was painted. are they going to give it a coat, or will it still be that light-colored concrete?

thanks a lot.
pat dahl
p.s. - its possible that the concrete already was dark and i just didn't notice.

EDIT: Dumb question. ignore me. i've looked at the pictures and can now see that they did not paint the concrete.

IronFisk
01-24-2006, 11:25 PM
The actual update is the upper deck is almost complete. We were working on the last two sections when we ran into a snag. Somehow something happened with the manufacturer and the wrong seats were delivered. Work in the lower level began last week. Were still setting up down there though and getting everything laid out and drilling.

Yo Joe! So, are there going to be angled seats down the lines? Inquiring Polaks wanna know :redneck

itsnotrequired
01-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Yo Joe! So, are there going to be angled seats down the lines? Inquiring Polaks wanna know :redneck

Sounds like a primo question for SoxFest.

skobabe8
01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I submitted two pictures to the photo gallery so they should be up soon. I tried to attach them to my post but they are too large. If anyone knows how to reduce files in size, PM me and I'll try it again.

Tempe
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I only found this one pic. If you have more you need resized email them to the address I gave you....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/2005_White_Sox/Green_Seats.jpg

Tempe

GregoryEtc
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Tomorrows Cubune Headline...

Sox squandering US Cellular's money...
New seats at Cell are out of focus!

skobabe8
01-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Tomorrows Cubune Headline...

Sox squandering US Cellular's money...
New seats at Cell are out of focus!

LOL....Sorry for the out of focus picture! I bought my girlfriend this camera for Christmas and we didnt bother actually reading the directions before using it. I re-submitted my other picture that I took (its a lot better than the first one) so hopefully it will be in the photo gallery soon.

Tempe
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Not yet.....

skobabe8
01-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Not yet.....

Its still "Pending Approval." All the mods must be too busy having fun at Soxfest.

Tempe
01-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Email me the pic? :cool:

itsnotrequired
01-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Its still "Pending Approval." All the mods must be too busy having fun at Soxfest.

You could always upload it to ImageShack and post the link here.

http://www.imageshack.us/

skobabe8
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Here's the photo!

(Its a week and a half old)

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=998&cat=3

itsnotrequired
01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Here's the photo!

:thumbsup:

Looking good!

FoulTerritory
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Here's the photo!

Wow though, the clash of that blue and that green is not pretty. If they are not going to finish the changeover, as has been indicated, then its going to look ugly . . . . except for one fact: the lower deck will be jammed full of people all year anyways!

TomBradley72
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Here's the photo!

Amazing how different the park looks.....the before (ie. circa 1998...pre renovations) and after photos would be very very interesting....

ChiSoxLifer
02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
I just realized the Cubune doesn't have a "Green Seats Watch". Are they biased or something?

WhiteSoxFan84
02-09-2006, 03:07 AM
It's official, no green seats until 2007 (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060208soxcellrenovations,1,7227740.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines).

itsnotrequired
02-09-2006, 07:52 AM
It's official, no green seats until 2007 (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060208soxcellrenovations,1,7227740.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines).

Eh, no real surprise here. Just confirms what insiders have been saying for weeks.

ChiSoxGirl
02-09-2006, 08:08 AM

If the price of success means waiting one more season for a ballpark fileld with green seats... I'll take it! :bandance:

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Eh, no real surprise here. Just confirms what insiders have been saying for weeks.

theres no excuse for this. An entirely NEW stadium has gone up in the same time its taken these guys to just finish the Upper Deck. Brutal.

itsnotrequired
02-09-2006, 08:39 AM
theres no excuse for this. An entirely NEW stadium has gone up in the same time its taken these guys to just finish the Upper Deck. Brutal.

The labor costs for that new stadium are also about a jillion times more than the cost at the Cell. As others on here have confirmed (thank you chicagojoe!), Sox are looking to do this on the cheap and that's why it is taking so long (smaller crews). I don't agree with this approach but it is what it is.

NorthSideSox72
02-09-2006, 08:39 AM

Did you actually read the article? Its not about time and effort. It's about conditions. They can't seal the seats into the concrete (caulk) under a certain temperature.

And most of the stadium will be done anyway, just sounds like a few sections being left over.

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't agree with this approach but it is what it is.

In a nutshell. I Dont Agree with this approach either. Were a 1st Class organization. Lets start ACTING like one

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Did you actually read the article? Its not about time and effort. It's about conditions. They can't seal the seats into the concrete (caulk) under a certain temperature.

They started doing these seats after the 2004 season. How in the world is it taking them this long ............. to change seats? If I remember correctly, weve had a warm summer since then to put in these seats.
"But they cant seal the seats into the concrete (caulk) under a certain temperature"
Ok, its just as cold in StLouis right now, and theyre installing seats down there no problem? How? PLASTIC TARPS. Enclose a section of seating with a heater. Problem solved. The SOX cant actually say they never thought about using Tarps because they did the same thing WHEN THEY INSTALLED THE BRICKS DURING THE WINTER. Concrete/Mortar is subject to the same conditions .....
I dont want to hear their excuses. At least the product on the field isnt subject to this thinking anymore

itsnotrequired
02-09-2006, 09:00 AM
They started doing these seats after the 2004 season. How in the world is it taking them this long ............. to change seats? If I remember correctly, weve had a warm summer since then to put in these seats.
"But they cant seal the seats into the concrete (caulk) under a certain temperature"
Ok, its just as cold in StLouis right now, and theyre installing seats down there no problem? How? PLASTIC TARPS. Enclose a section of seating with a heater. Problem solved. The SOX cant actually say they never thought about using Tarps because they did the same thing WHEN THEY INSTALLED THE BRICKS DURING THE WINTER. Concrete/Mortar is subject to the same conditions .....
I dont want to hear their excuses. At least the product on the field isnt subject to this thinking anymore

I think a lot of it has to do with the Sox relationship with the ISFA. I'm guessing a budget was "approved" for a given amount of dollars well before the post season. The Sox lost out on a month worth of good construction due to the playoffs (And for what? A lousy World Series?) and to make up the time using heaters and what not would cost dollars that they may not have to spend.

Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of the ISFA/Sox/capital improvement relationship could shed some light on the subject...

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of the ISFA/Sox/capital improvement relationship could shed some light on the subject...

Poor Construction Time Management and Counter-Productive Construction techniques. Excuse after excuse, the Cardinals are putting seats in under the same conditions. Just put the dang seats in already and stop cutting corners. thats all Im saying.

itsnotrequired
02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Poor Construction Time Management and Counter-Productive Construction techniques. Excuse after excuse, the Cardinals are putting seats in under the same conditions. Just put the dang seats in already and stop cutting corners. thats all Im saying.

Did you even read my post? It is my understanding that all capital improvement is handled through the ISFA. As far as I know, the Sox can't even paint handrails without ISFA approval. If the Sox aren't approved to spend more money, what can they do? The Cardinals have a totally different setup when compared to the Sox.

Blob
02-09-2006, 09:19 AM

It's not a day until there's something to complain about. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
02-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Ok, its just as cold in StLouis right now, and theyre installing seats down there no problem?

On average, it's 5-7 degrees warmer in St. Louis. That could prove to be more drastic than an "outsider" like us would think regarding proper installation conditions.

Can't the Sox work little-by-little during their road trips? I'm sure they could do 2-4 sections each road trip and have the entire park done by the All Star Break. It CAN be done!!!

Hangar18
02-09-2006, 09:27 AM
As far as I know, the Sox can't even paint handrails without ISFA approval. If the Sox...........what can they do?

If your the SOX and you know this going in, thats still no excuse.
Get It Done. If Jim Thompson had this work ethic, the SOX & Reinsdorf would be in Tampa trying desperately to get out of their "lease" in the dome ........ Thanks Jim.

anewman35
02-09-2006, 09:34 AM
If your the SOX and you know this going in, thats still no excuse.
Get It Done.

Thing is, I'd wager that 95% of people (NOT 95% of people HERE, but 95% of the general public) couldn't care less. Why should they go spend a lot of money just to make a very small percentage of fans happy a few months earlier? The seats will get done, does it matter if it's a year from now?

dickallen15
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
On average, it's 5-7 degrees warmer in St. Louis. That could prove to be more drastic than an "outsider" like us would think regarding proper installation conditions.

Can't the Sox work little-by-little during their road trips? I'm sure they could do 2-4 sections each road trip and have the entire park done by the All Star Break. It CAN be done!!!

This is the part that makes no sense from Boyer's comments. Before last season, they said they would be doing just what you asked. They would be changing sections of the park when the Sox were on the road, weather permitting. They did nothing. Now they are blaming the extra month of games as the reason they can't get it all done this off season, even mentioning temperatures needed for caulking. If it has to be a certain temperature, then why don't they do what they said they were going to do last year, and complete the project when the team is on the road? Why wait until next winter when the caulking temperature might not be quite right.
Personally, I think there probably is an issue with the stadium authority, and they probably have used up all the funds available to them for this offseason, and probably have to wait until next offseason for more funds to be available to them.