PDA

View Full Version : To deal or not to deal?

nodiggity59
12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
With our starters loggin so many innings last year and the WBC coming up, there is a distinct possibility we'll have injuries in the rotation. How do you think KW should handle it?

I said the third option.

Chicken Dinner
12-15-2005, 05:19 PM
The only injured starter we had last year will be playing for the Dbacks. The WBC will have nothing to do with it.

JohnTucker0814
12-15-2005, 05:20 PM
I voted to keep all 6 starters... here's my explination:

Although I'd love the "glammer" of having a Tejada, Abreu, etc on our team, we do not need that! We've already upgraded our offense with Thome and I think McCarthey is a stud, he is still basically a rookie.

I think we should stay with 6 starters for injury insurance, if we are completely healthy by the all-star break, look at trading one for something we may need if Thome is injured.

heartslasher
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Trade Garland but acquire young pitching in return - for insurance

sad to see him go though. :(:

SOecks
12-15-2005, 05:23 PM
I'd also like to see us keep all 6 until the all star break. If it's a close race at that point, we can make a move based on what our needs at that time are. The only way I'd like to move Garland now is if it was a huge impact move.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
With our starters loggin so many innings last year and the WBC coming up, there is a distinct possibility we'll have injuries in the rotation.

What? So using your logic, Kerry Wood will turn into an iron man now I guess. I prefer to assume injury prone guys will remain injury prone, and healthy guys like Maddux and Buehrle will be healthy. Let's "make a deal", with your host Kenny Williams.

nodiggity59
12-15-2005, 05:29 PM
What? So using your logic, Kerry Wood will turn into an iron man now I guess. I prefer to assume injury prone guys will remain injury prone, and healthy guys like Maddux and Buehrle will be healthy. Let's "make a deal", with your host Kenny Williams.

Well, it's safe to assume MB will suffer at least 1 injury filled year in his career. We'll see what happens.

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Keeping 6 starters is a ridiculously poor use of resources. It's not as if you can just stand one of them up in a closet and pull him out if you need him. He has to be pitching regularly to remain sharp. Having McCarthy cooling his heels in AAA is also a poor use of resources. It's like keeping money in a mattress - you can do it, but if you don't have those resources working for you, it's really a net loss. They need to trade a starter.

The Sox don't really have any glaring weaknesses to be addressed. If they can land an impact player, like Tejada, go for it. Otherwise, get a good reliever (preferably a lefty) and a top prospect.

kevin57
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
This poll could have offered more options. For instance, like it looks likely that Garland could be next on the chopping block, a low-flying KW could deal Contreras. While he was lights out second half, his age may make him less desirable than Garland.

Not saying it will happen, but don't rule it out of all possibility.