PDA

View Full Version : Hey Two By Four...

hsnterprize
12-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I just e-mailed Brooks about a couple of new "Grinder Rules" ad ideas he could try in case the Sox are still going with that theme for next season. I think these ideas are pretty good. If the Sox are going with the "Grinder Rules" again next year, maybe these ideas ought to be considered. What say you?

Anyway, here's the letter...

Mr. Boyer,

I'd like to first of all congratulate you and your team for an outstanding 2005 season. Winning the World Series was something every Sox fan had been lamenting over and over again for so long. Thanks to the on-field wiles of those like Ozzie, the GM work of Kenny Williams, and great players too great to mention, a World Championship is rightfully on the south side of Chicago. Not to mention, people like yourself deserve a huge pat on the back...especially you. When you started the "Sox Pride" marketing campaign in '04, you literally touched a nerve we Sox fans have been feeling for so long...as sense of pride towards our White Sox, and the feeling that we don't have to justify our love for our team in the face of those who wear Cubbie blue like it's a religion. You didn't win the Series on the field like the players did, but you did win a place in our hearts by saying in so many words, "It's okay to be a Sox fan, and I'll make sure it stays that way."

In case the Sox are planning to still use the "Grinder Rules" for 2006, please allow me to contribute a couple of ideas to you. I'm not looking for any compensation if you decide to use any of them. I just thought I'd give you a couple of ideas.

First, in keeping with the "Us vs. Them" theme, I suggest Grinder Rule #175. Imagine a TV commercial playing, and you see the following...

Show a graphic that says, "In Chicago, fans have 2 teams to choose from. One vastly popular team represents 'hype'..." (show video of people at Wrigley Field, sell out crowds, some celebrity singing the 7th inning stretch, the "L" flag flying after a Cub loss), and another representing 'substance' (show video of Scott Podsednik stealing a base, Jermaine Dye making a diving catch in the outfield, a Paul Konerko home run with fireworks). After all the pictures are shown, another graphic appears on the screen..."Choose wisely."

Another idea in regards of repeating a World Series title, here's Grinder Rule #176...

Show video of the Sox players celebrating their World Series win. As the players are pouring beer and champagne on each other, fade in occasional shots of players on other teams with mad looks on their faces. Show pictures of fans upset that the Sox are the World Champions, and show the other teams making moves to make their team better. Then show footage of the Sox getting Jim Thome, resigning Paul Konerko, and any other newly-acquired players to bolster their team. At the end, the graphic on the screen says, "Stay humble and stay hungry."

Just a couple of ideas. Hope you like them, and may possibly use them. Congrats once again for a great 2005, and here's to a back-to-back World Series win in 2006.

No response as of yet. Just thought I'd send the idea.

ilsox7
12-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I'll be honest with you, that first one would irritate me. We just won the World Series. We don't need to make any mention or draw any attention to us by referencing them. The most painful thing for the Cub and their fans is for Sox and their fans to completely ignore them and act as if they don't exist. That way they feel like the inconsequential fans they really are.

I do, however, like the 2nd idea!

nevr say dye sox
12-15-2005, 03:25 PM
ilsox 7 couldn't agree more...However I'll vote for rule #176 nice job!

StockdaleForVeep
12-15-2005, 03:30 PM
How about for a theme it be

"How bout two?"

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 03:31 PM
I'll be honest with you, that first one would irritate me. We just won the World Series. We don't need to make any mention or draw any attention to us by referencing them. The most painful thing for the Cub and their fans is for Sox and their fans to completely ignore them and act as if they don't exist. That way they feel like the inconsequential fans they really are.

I do, however, like the 2nd idea!

Agreed. No need to even mention that other team.

SOXintheBURGH
12-15-2005, 03:37 PM

"How bout two?"

Ernie Banks said "Let's play two."

:walnuts
"Let's win two."

IlliniSox4Life
12-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I agree that I don't think any marketing should make mention of the cubs. There's really no reason. If you want to take shots at them indirectly, that's fine. But then again any advertisement about how we're a winning team that trys hard would be an indirect shot at them.

IlliniSox4Life
12-15-2005, 03:43 PM

"How bout two?"
How about:

"Two rings are better then one" or "2006 White Sox: Twice the Fun".
or
maybe the video of Jordan draining a shot to win the championship and something like "Chicago knows a thing or two about repeating" or "2007 White Sox: Chicago 3Peats the 3Peat"

Law11
12-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm in marketing and love the brainstroming sesions we have at my company.
Of course we have something vested in it. I'd say lets have out own brainstroming session here but if all in a sudden we see our tagline hoisted
onto a screen somewhere its too bad for you royalty wise.

That being said I do like something like Stay Hungry or Stay home..
It obviously feeds off the chance to repeat as well as taking it in the direction of the great food & Atmospehere at the park.

WhiteSox05Champs
12-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I love that second one. It is amazing some of the ideas people come up with here.

:supernana:

D. TODD
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM

I do, however, like the 2nd idea! I agree with the first one being in poor taste. Seems a bit like gloating. Maybe it's staying hungry, but not staying humble as your second idea claims.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I like mine the most. No, no, I'm serious. Just look at my sig...

Have Podsednik and Iguchi highlights in a commericial representing "Pure Speed".

Have Konerko, Thome, and Dye highlights in a commericial representing "Pure Power".

Have Uribe, Crede, and Buehrle highlights in a commericial representing "Pure Defense".

Finally, have Pierzynski, Buehrle, Contreras, Dye, Iguchi, Ozzie, etc. highlights in the "Pure Chemistry" commericial.

This maybe better suited for the 2007 season because our marketing should focus on defending the World Series this year. It may work in 2007 unless we go back-to-back...

BTW, 2x4, get me a damn job with your agency! I have ideas man, CRAZZZYYY IDEAS!

skottyj242
12-15-2005, 04:00 PM
How about minimum sevenpeat?

RallyBowl
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
NO CUBS REFERENCES. The second one is good though.

And 2x4, Thanks for the poster, it came tuesday. I appreciate it, and keep up the good work.

One more time, everyone say it with me-

NO CUBS REFERENCES.

Law11
12-15-2005, 04:18 PM
How about minimum sevenpeat?

What if it was the Sox vs a hurricane....

Hode on, da hurricanes name is DITKA....

:gulp:

IlliniSox4Life
12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
What if it was the Sox vs a hurricane....

Hode on, da hurricanes name is DITKA....

:gulp:

An who wood win, hurrican ditka or tweny too mini ozzies?

buehrle4cy05
12-15-2005, 05:08 PM

:iron

No offense to Ozzie, but if Ditka can beat the Giants by himself, he can beat Ozzie.

hsnterprize
12-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Okay...no Cubs references. I just thought it would do some good to really outline the "Us vs. Them" notion one more time. Still, I'm glad y'all are cool with the "Stay Hungry and Stay Humble" idea. If there's one thing that can stop the Sox from winning it all again in 2006, it's complacency. We all know that a less-than-passionate attitude from the south siders dooms them before the first pitch.

Maybe the Sox can keep on that theme to not only keep the players on the team in check, but also the fans. Nothing wrong with a little gloating, but let's not take it too far. At least in my opinion, we shouldn't act like the arrogant Cub fans from 2004 who seemed to think they were destined to win after the year before.

StockdaleForVeep
12-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Ernie Banks said "Let's play two."

:walnuts
"Let's win two."

Hence the goodness of it,lets keep kickin the cubs in the face while we reign....next we'll use the parking lots\mcdonalds in wrigleyville for our games....just move em on out

batmanZoSo
12-16-2005, 12:43 AM

Hurricane Dik-ka "verse" El Niņo Ozzie.

It would be like matter and anti-matter: pure annihilation of biblical proportions. All nations must ban together to ensure that such a collosal matchup never occurs.