PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Milwood?

BNLSox
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Kevin Milwood was a stud last year and he is only 30. Why all the hoopla for Burnette when Milwood is available and in my opinion a much better option for a multi year deal.

Frankly, I'd love to see him on the Southside.

Anyone know what his story is?

Tekijawa
12-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Kevin Milwood was a stud last year and he is only 30. Why all the hoopla for Burnette when Milwood is available and in my opinion a much better option for a multi year deal.

Somehow I doubt he's looking for a middle relief role.

BNLSox
12-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I think if we could sign him to a 3 yr deal, Garland and Contreras would be on their way out for high quality relievers and an outfielder.

But I'm not so concerned with him in regards to our squad. It would be deep pink to think we could throw another ace into the mix and its already great as is.

What I want to know is where he will end up? I don't here anyone talking about him, and I would think he is probably the second best FA this year (Paulie being number 1).

thoughts?

Flight #24
12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
What's happening with Millwood is the same as with Weaver & Washburn: They're Scott Boras clients, and the market for pitching is hotter than ever. Borass has smartly let the market dictate some pretty high salaries for lesser or equivelent pitchers like Byrd, Burnett, etc. Now there are some desperate teams (O's, Rangers, etc.) and they can be held up.

Borass is quoted as saying Millwood wants a 5-yr deal. Now he might settle for 4, but I'd think 3 is outof the picture unless you do a Furcal-esque overpaying of kevin to counteract the shorter deal.

ma-gaga
12-15-2005, 02:50 PM

I think he's a Boras guy. 4/40 won't be enough for him. He wants to cash out. Stay away!

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2005, 02:59 PM
What's happening with Millwood is the same as with Weaver & Washburn: They're Scott Boras clients, and the market for pitching is hotter than ever. Borass has smartly let the market dictate some pretty high salaries for lesser or equivelent pitchers like Byrd, Burnett, etc. Now there are some desperate teams (O's, Rangers, etc.) and they can be held up.

Borass is quoted as saying Millwood wants a 5-yr deal. Now he might settle for 4, but I'd think 3 is outof the picture unless you do a Furcal-esque overpaying of kevin to counteract the shorter deal.And that's exactly why Kenny is in a great position in dealing Garland. Sure teams can sign a FA pitcher without giving up anything in trade - but they have to deal with Boras. Kenny is sitting in the cat-bird's seat...and he knows it.

Tekijawa
12-15-2005, 03:08 PM
:hawk

"where's he gonna play?"

munchman33
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Millwood seems to find himself in the same situation every offseason. And its because of his douche-bag agent asking for too much money and too many years. Two years ago he settled for arbitration from the Phillies because no one met his demands. Last year he settled for a one year offer from the Injuns because of his demands.

My guess: He accepts the Injuns arbitration request and once again works off a one year deal because he thinks he's worth more than he is.

Flight #24
12-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Millwood seems to find himself in the same situation every offseason. And its because of his douche-bag agent asking for too much money and too many years. Two years ago he settled for arbitration from the Phillies because no one met his demands. Last year he settled for a one year offer from the Injuns because of his demands.

My guess: He accepts the Injuns arbitration request and once again works off a one year deal because he thinks he's worth more than he is.

It's a good thing that being a year older and with more wear on his arm/shoulder will almost certainly make him worth a lot more on the market next year.

Wait a minute.....

caulfield12
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Yeah, but Paul Freakin Byrd and Kenny Rogers are getting more money per season for multi-year deals well into their 30s and 40s, so I find it hard to imagine a younger AL Cy Young Award candidate would not end up with some team for at least three years and possibly four. The Mariners have been rumored by many to be a possible location...the Ms are also interested in Scott Elarton. As long as the Indians pitchers are out of the division and not in Anaheim, I am pretty much a happy camper.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2005, 03:57 PM
4 years, $48 mill with the Mariners. I see it in the near coming future. Their original offer was 4 years $44 mill, but his agent demanded a fifth year. The Mariners will say, OK, shut your trap, we'll give you an extra $4 mill if you take our 4 year deal, Millwood will stab his agent, who wants more, to death and agrees to the deal.

D. TODD
12-15-2005, 03:59 PM
4 years, $48 mill with the Mariners. I see it in the near coming future. Their original offer was 4 years $44 mill, but his agent demanded a fifth year. The Mariners will say, OK, shut your trap, we'll give you an extra $4 mill if you take our 4 year deal, Millwood will stab his agent, who wants more, to death and agrees to the deal. I agree Seattle has been fair and I think they will sign him after everything is said and done.

shaunburnette
12-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Burnett is spelled without the E. No relation

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I agree Seattle has been fair and I think they will sign him after everything is said and done.

Do you also agree that Millwood will stab his agent to death? Or do you just agree with him signing with the Mariners? :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Why all the hoopla for Burnette when Milwood is available

Because of Millwood's love for bowling. The Cubs are worried he may throw out his shoulder bowling so they sent out a memo to the rest of baseball telling GMs to "Beware of Bowleritis".

TomSkilling
12-15-2005, 05:08 PM

Anybody up for a 7 man rotation?

I agree Milwood is more proven than Burnett. I think some GM's have fallen in love with Burnett's potential and stuff.

CPditka
12-15-2005, 05:09 PM
4 years, $48 mill with the Mariners. I see it in the near coming future. Their original offer was 4 years $44 mill, but his agent demanded a fifth year. The Mariners will say, OK, shut your trap, we'll give you an extra $4 mill if you take our 4 year deal, Millwood will stab his agent, who wants more, to death and agrees to the deal.

I heard the mariners denied making that big of an offer to MIlwood. What I read said they hadn't gone above 3 yrs 27 mil for him.

BNLSox
12-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Great info... Thanks guys. I didn't realize Borass was at the helm of this man's future. All I saw was an amazing free-agent pitcher getting no press - And now I know why.

Off to Seattle with you Kevin~!

Exit_Only
12-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I will repeat my post about Millwood that was in a different thread because it's also relevant here.

RUMOR: Industry officials said this week Seattle is still the favorite to land right-hander Kevin Millwood. At last week's winter meetings, two player agents said the Mariners offered Millwood a four-year deal worth $44 million. That would still fit into Seattle's budget for the coming year.
-- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mlb/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/12/16/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html)

SOX ADDICT '73
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
....Millwood will stab his agent to death...
If he does, I'll add a couple grand to the Mariners offer!

:borass:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg
"Aw, dammit..."