PDA

View Full Version : Cubpoganda in full swing: Check out this email I got

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Check this out:

"Having played for two expansion teams, Juan Pierre isnt used to Sell-out Crowds, Basball savvy fans, and a sense of History"

MarySwiss
12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Check this out:

"Having played for two expansion teams, Juan Pierre isnt used to Sell-out Crowds, Basball savvy fans, and a sense of History"

Sheesh!
:puking:

nodiggity59
12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
The Flubs will be a change for Pierre in more ways than one. He's used to Championships.

VivaOzzie
12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
:pee "Baseball savvy fans"

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Check this out:

Yes, no sellout crowds in Colorado in 2001.:rolleyes:

In fact, Colorado drew 400,000 more fans than the Cubs that season.

Flight #24
12-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Hangar, exactly why are you receiving emails from the Cubs? That would imply that you've either a)registered with them or worse, b)purchased tickets from them.

Hmmmmm.......Hangar18 = Hendry18?

Mickster
12-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Hangar, exactly why are you receiving emails from the Cubs? That would imply that you've either a)registered with them or worse, b)purchased tickets from them.

:kneeslap: :roflmao:

Uncle_Patrick
12-15-2005, 12:15 PM

:o:

eriqjaffe
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
"Having played for two expansion teams, Juan Pierre isnt used to Sell-out Crowds, Basball savvy fans, and a sense of History"Basball? What's that?

Rocky Soprano
12-15-2005, 12:20 PM

He's obsessed with everything "Cubbie."

I would be willing to bet that 90% say Cubs in them.

credefan24
12-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I wasn't aware that Pierre signed with the Sox?

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 12:24 PM

I bought tickets online back in 1998 online (thru their website) for the Cubs/Sox series, and I remember it asking me for my email address, unwittingly being put on their email list ever since :angry:

VenturaFan23
12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
I wasn't aware that Pierre signed with the Sox?

CHA-CHING! :cool:

DumpJerry
12-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I bought tickets online back in 1998 online (thru their website) for the Cubs/Sox series, and I remember it asking me for my email address, unwittingly being put on their email list ever since :angry:
That's your story and you're sticking with it!

HebrewHammer
12-15-2005, 12:34 PM

I was about to ask the same thing.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Three years ago, I bought tickets to a Chicago Fire game. I get stuff mailed to me twice a year and get actual phone calls about 4-5 times a year.

Sheesh...

gf2020
12-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Check this out:

Funny, I alwayas considered winning a world series to be somewhat historical. I guess the drive for back-to-back-to-back .500 seasons is much more noteworthy.

D. TODD
12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I bought tickets online back in 1998 online (thru their website) for the Cubs/Sox series, and I remember it asking me for my email address, unwittingly being put on their email list ever since :angry: I receive e-mails from the Braves & Tigers for the same reason, buying through their website to see the Sox on the road.

C-Dawg
12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
"....Baseball savvy fans, and a sense of History"

Ol' Juan is likely to be disappointed if that's the type of fans he expects to see at Wrigley Field.

LuvSox
12-15-2005, 12:40 PM
A sense of Losing baseball history

zach23
12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Hangar seems to be locked in a battle against himself. On one hand he wants so badly for the cubs to become irrelevant but at the same time he constantly focuses on every little thing they do and keeps drawing more and more attention to them. At the same time, he bashes the Sox organization for things that haven't even happened yet but in his warped existence he predicts will come to pass while complaining that the media does not give the Sox organization any respect or credit.
This is a never ending vicious circle. It is like watching a dog chase its own tail.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 12:43 PM
He's obsessed with everything "Cubbie."

I would be willing to bet that 90% say Cubs in them.

Growing up in Chicago, and at one time as a kid wanting to work in journalism, I have always been reading a newspaper and reading whats "news". I was one of the first to notice way back when, a noticable
and evident change in the way both teams were being reported. I found it peculiar, and noted how it was becoming apparent the other team got twice and three times the coverage as the SOX, while the SOX usually got negative and critical coverage. I also noted how this slanted coverage also directly began the noticable influx of fans for that team. Imagine my dismay, when the "media" began to comment on how great those "fans" must be and how numerous they were, somehow alluding that this must be in correlation to how GREAT the franchise must be, because after all, "Look at all those great cub fans out there". This of course ignored our fanbase and made sure we werent given any credit at all, and then took a step further, ridiculing the SOX fan base, stereotyping us, ripping management, etc etc.

After a number of years of this ............ and only recently being finally exonarated having shown proof that The Trib and Chicago Media does indeed favor the other team, for no real reason other than they own that other team. The amount of coverage they get is Unwarranted, Undeserved, and Unprecedented. Hell, using this math, the Devil Rays should be Americas team now. SO yes, the Chicago Media shoving the Cubs down my throat for the last 21 years has indeed put my Hatred of them on my mind a bit.

noquitter
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
:whocares

:threadsucks

Rocky Soprano
12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Growing up in Chicago, and at one time as a kid wanting to work in journalism, I have always been reading a newspaper and reading whats "news". I was one of the first to notice way back when, a noticable
and evident change in the way both teams were being reported. I found it peculiar, and noted how it was becoming apparent the other team got twice and three times the coverage as the SOX, while the SOX usually got negative and critical coverage. I also noted how this slanted coverage also directly began the noticable influx of fans for that team. Imagine my dismay, when the "media" began to comment on how great those "fans" must be and how numerous they were, somehow alluding that this must be in correlation to how GREAT the franchise must be, because after all, "Look at all those great cub fans out there". This of course ignored our fanbase and made sure we werent given any credit at all, and then took a step further, ridiculing the SOX fan base, stereotyping us, ripping management, etc etc.

After a number of years of this ............ and only recently being finally exonarated having shown proof that The Trib and Chicago Media does indeed favor the other team, for no real reason other than they own that other team. The amount of coverage they get is Unwarranted, Undeserved, and Unprecedented. Hell, using this math, the Devil Rays should be Americas team now. SO yes, the Chicago Media shoving the Cubs down my throat for the last 21 years has indeed put my Hatred of them on my mind a bit.

I understand where you are coming from, BUT you just seem to concretate a bit way to much at what is happening on the NORTH side.

Who cares what the media or Cub fans think about the Sox or their fans.

The Sox just won the World Series and they look like a few more might be near.

In my eyes, the Cubs no longer exist. Except for the 6 times we beat them.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 12:50 PM
At the same time, he bashes the Sox organization for things that haven't even happened yet but in his warped existence he predicts will come to pass ..........

Examples of bashing please (must be relevant to within past month)

Gavin
12-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I guess the proactive thing to do, Hangar, would be to try to find the proper avenue for removing yourself from the mailing list or unsubscribing. It might save you from some future angst.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 12:55 PM
I guess the proactive thing to do, Hangar, would be to try to find the proper avenue for removing yourself from the mailing list or unsubscribing. It might save you from some future angst.

You might be on to something. But then when I order cross-town series tickets, i'll be subjecting myself again to this Propoganda

Rocky Soprano
12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
You might be on to something. But then when I order cross-town series tickets, i'll be subjecting myself again to this Propoganda

That is actually strange. I have bought tickets through the Cubs for the cross-town series and have not once gotten an e-mail from them.

Did you forget to uncheck, or check something by mistake?

cheeses_h_rice
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
The best thing about the Sox winning it all this year is how little I care about what that other team in town does.

Dick Allen
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I bought tickets online back in 1998 online (thru their website) for the Cubs/Sox series, and I remember it asking me for my email address, unwittingly being put on their email list ever since :angry:The same thing happened to me. There is something you can click at the bottom of the e-mail to get taken off their list.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Who cares what the media ...... thinks about the Sox or their fans.

Who cares what the Media thinks/says, except if theres another team in town who is in direct competition with you for hearts, minds, $$$$ of customers.
Its because of this very attitude adopted by JR early on, that has put the SOX in the very spot we were in, having to deal with myths of murders in neighborhood, bad park, bad fans. Would anyone want to come here knowing this? So Who Cares about the Media proved to be a foolish business model

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 01:06 PM
That is actually strange. I have bought tickets through the Cubs for the cross-town series and have not once gotten an e-mail from them.

Did you forget to uncheck, or check something by mistake?

I'll bet I did. I was getting email from the DODGERS all thru 04, but that stopped. Ive been getting literature in the mail from the Padres now, on top of the gratuitious "cubs are great" messages from Tribune Entertainment Corp.

zach23
12-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Examples of bashing please (must be relevant to within past month)

When Garland turned down the extension, there you were with your "predictions".

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=954000#post954000

Mohoney
12-15-2005, 01:24 PM
The Cubs sure are trying to get a lot of PR mileage out of one move.

Sure, it was a good trade and all, and the Marlins definitely got snowed with the package they received, but people are acting like this was the greatest move of Hendry's career and will surely propel the Cubs past the Cardinals in the NL Central pecking order.

The bullpen appears to be better, but then again I have seen Eyre and Howry falter before. The leadoff hole is filled, too, but probably for only the 2006 season.

The most glaring need on this team has, as of yet, not been addressed. As long as Dusty Baker is the manager, the Cubs will never win 90 games. Book it.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 01:47 PM
When Garland turned down the extension, there you were with your "predictions".

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=954000#post954000

OH yeah. You and Flight24 "bashed" me for somehow implying that this could be Garlands last year with the SOX? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Flight24: "Do you ever give up on this crap? Was it not enough that the SOX resigned Konerko to a 5/$60 deal??"
implying that I mustve been "Complaining" about the deal, or rightly predicting we may not see Garland in a SOX uniform for much longer.
Since that thread was started, there seems to be numerous scenarios all over the place regarding TRADES involving Jon Garland. Not to mention that there was another thread, where many WSI'ers thought Kenny Williams' remarks yesterday after the Vazquez trade were "pointed" towards John Garland and his Agent, to make up their mind and accept the SOX offer, or he wont even make the team in 2006, and be TRADED NOW.

This is from the Tribune just today:
"The SOX hope to secure their rotation for several years, based on escalating free-agent market for pitchers. That could mean dealing Garland"
The fact that negotiations appear to be moving forward with Jose Contreras on a multi-year deal, and the fact that now John Garlands name keeps surfacing in trade scenarios, has me and others thinking JG might not even be with the team for 06 ............ So when I make my comment "So in other words, were looking at 2006 as Jon Garlands last season" I think you guys were way off, implying me calling the SOX cheap in that case. IF I thought they were cheap regarding Garland, I wouldve said "The SOX are being cheap and timid again ........they dont want Garland". Garland is implying he doesnt want to be here. Even SSN721 chimed in falsely with: " .........ugh, dissing management for being cheap"

Get over it fellas, I didnt call the SOX cheap. I simply saw his Rejecting of the SOX offer, and his agent telling the SOX they would like to explore the FA market, as a pretty obvious sign he wont be with us after 06.

TommyJohn
12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I bought tickets for a couple of Sox-Yankee games in New York through
yankees.com. I still get emails from them. You know what I do? I delete
them.

bigsoxfan420
12-15-2005, 01:50 PM

You should be able to get off the list. Isn't there a link to be removed from their email list?

zach23
12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
OH yeah. You and Flight24 "bashed" me for somehow implying that this could be Garlands last year with the SOX? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Flight24: "Do you ever give up on this crap? Was it not enough that the SOX resigned Konerko to a 5/$60 deal??"
implying that I mustve been "Complaining" about the deal, or rightly predicting we may not see Garland in a SOX uniform for much longer.
Since that thread was started, there seems to be numerous scenarios all over the place regarding TRADES involving Jon Garland. Not to mention that there was another thread, where many WSI'ers thought Kenny Williams' remarks yesterday after the Vazquez trade were "pointed" towards John Garland and his Agent, to make up their mind and accept the SOX offer, or he wont even make the team in 2006, and be TRADED NOW.

This is from the Tribune just today:
"The SOX hope to secure their rotation for several years, based on escalating free-agent market for pitchers. That could mean dealing Garland"
The fact that negotiations appear to be moving forward with Jose Contreras on a multi-year deal, and the fact that now John Garlands name keeps surfacing in trade scenarios, has me and others thinking JG might not even be with the team for 06 ............ So when I make my comment "So in other words, were looking at 2006 as Jon Garlands last season" I think you guys were way off, implying me calling the SOX cheap in that case. IF I thought they were cheap regarding Garland, I wouldve said "The SOX are being cheap and timid again ........they dont want Garland". Garland is implying he doesnt want to be here. Even SSN721 chimed in falsely with: " .........ugh, dissing management for being cheap"

Get over it fellas, I didnt call the SOX cheap. I simply saw his Rejecting of the SOX offer, and his agent telling the SOX they would like to explore the FA market, as a pretty obvious sign he wont be with us after 06.

Ok, I am sure that is what you were doing. :rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
The best thing about the Sox winning it all this year is how little I care about what that other team in town does.

Well said!!! As far as I'm concerned, that team could have 120 wins next year and it wouldn't bother me in the least because we beat them to the Ultimate Prize! :cool:

MarySwiss
12-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hangar18

That's your story and you're sticking with it!

Hangar is probably right about this. I bought tickets for Spring Training out here about eight years ago to see a Sox/Cubs game at Ho-Ho-Kam, and every year since--including this one--I've gotten some advance PR crap in the mail, which I just pitch unopened. But it would suck to be on their e-mail list.

SOXPHILE
12-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I believe it. A few years ago, I bought some tickets through the Cubs to see a Cardinals-Cubs game, then again in 2003 to see the Sox-Cubs series at the Urinal. I used my credit card, and both times I started getting mailings from them, with schedules, posters, etc. Both times I called them and told them to take me the hell off of their mailing list, which they did without any problems.

tebman
12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Give Hangar a break -- he's the one George Knue used as a research reference when we engaged Knue in that historic debate last summer over the Tribune's Cub-shilling. Hangar had dozens of those "media watch" posts counting the number and placement of stories of the Sox vs. those about the Cubs. In an attempt to bolster his argument that the Tribune is utterly beyond reproach, Knue referred to Hangar's media-watch tallies to extract points for his argument.

We all collapsed exhausted into each others' arms like prizefighters after that debate, but it was Hangar's research that built the foundation for it. I'd like to think that the Tribune doesn't button its vest with quite the same certitude since those discussions.

Thanks, Hangar.

schmitty9800
12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
You should be able to get off the list. Isn't there a link to be removed from their email list?Email filters :)

SOecks
12-15-2005, 04:01 PM
For what it's worth, I didn't take Hangar's comments as bashing the Sox at all in that other thread. He was just stating the obvious, nothing more nothing less. Back on topic, I'm glad he's finding and posting things like these. It's funny to me. Before we won it all, I would have been angry and bitter about things like this. Now it just makes me smirk and remember our World Series victory. Life is good.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Give Hangar a break -- he's the one George Knue used as a research reference when we engaged Knue in that historic debate last summer over the Tribune's Cub-shilling. Hangar had dozens of those "media watch" posts counting the number and placement of stories of the Sox vs. those about the Cubs. In an attempt to bolster his argument that the Tribune is utterly beyond reproach, Knue referred to Hangar's media-watch tallies to extract points for his argument.

We all collapsed exhausted into each others' arms like prizefighters after that debate, but it was Hangar's research that built the foundation for it. I'd like to think that the Tribune doesn't button its vest with quite the same certitude since those discussions.

Thanks, Hangar.

Fact: The Chicago Tribune Does NOT like me .....one bit.

It's Time
12-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Well said!!! As far as I'm concerned, that team could have 120 wins next year and it wouldn't bother me in the least because we beat them to the Ultimate Prize! :cool:

Naaa, you don't really believe that. If you do, tell me how you feel after they get in your face if they actually ever won it all. I can see it now:

"The White Sox are yesterdays news and the Cubs are now kings of the world".

"Oh, you guys won it in 2005? Well, we're the champs RIGHT NOW".

Mind you, this will not be happening in the near future, but the feeling you have now will subside if the winning doesn't continue and those guys win it.

KW is out trying to cement bragging rights for good.

chisoxfanatic
12-15-2005, 06:31 PM

:roflmao:

woodenleg
12-15-2005, 07:40 PM
You should be able to get off the list. Isn't there a link to be removed from their email list?

This appears to be an urgent matter to you guys.

I'll admit it - I follow the mlb news closely, and am currently getting mail from a number of teams. I wish I was on a few more mailing lists. So what.

And yes, I do follow the Cubs and get the Cubs mail. I AM a north sider, after all.

The Racehorse
12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
This appears to be an urgent matter to you guys.

I'll admit it - I follow the mlb news closely, and am currently getting mail from a number of teams. I wish I was on a few more mailing lists. So what.

And yes, I do follow the Cubs and get the Cubs mail. I AM a north sider, after all.

... every army needs to have those who'll spy on the enemy. :)

:army

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
To make things worse, MLB.com had a headline yesterday along the lines of "Pierre the center of attention in Chicago". Uhh, ok? :?: Maybe the person who wrote the headline was unaware that the architect of the 2005 World Series champions, who also happen to play in Chicago, pulled off yet another big move by getting Javier Vazquez. I think the center of attention in Chicago would be over a move that happened yesterday, rather than one that happened a week ago. Oh well.

RadioheadRocks
12-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Three years ago, I bought tickets to a Chicago Fire game. I get stuff mailed to me twice a year and get actual phone calls about 4-5 times a year.

Sheesh...

I can beat that. Back in 1979 (!!!) I went to one stamp collector show with my father at the O'Hare Holiday Inn. To this day, my father still gets a postcard from them advertising the upcoming stamp show!!!

TornLabrum
12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Check this out:

And with his new team, the only thing on that list that he'll have is the sell-out crowds.

thepaulbowski
12-15-2005, 10:43 PM

I don't care much about what the Bulls are doing either! :cool: