PDA

View Full Version : How are KW's moves going to effect the clubhouse atmosphere?

RallyBowl
12-15-2005, 10:33 AM
First of all, let me say this-

In Kenny I Trust.

He has made some brilliant moves, IMO, and at least 2 more are to follow in the weeks leading up to Spring Training (that's right, WEEKS!). Whether you believe it or not, clubhouse chemistry played an important role in bringing us a World Championship. By last count, seven members of last years team will not be with us next year. While I understand that these moves were necessary, and we are a much better team on paper, I have to wonder if we are a better team in the clubhouse.

Surely losing Duque will have some effect on Contrares, even if it is minor. AJ has already lost Rowand, Crede may be next. Buerhle may lose his best friend on the team in Garland.

We have added an ultimate team guy in Thome. I don't know anything about Vazquez, so I won't speculate on what kind of person or teammate he is.

I trust Kenny is making the right moves, and I trust Ozzie can keep the balance behind closed doors. I guess my question is what do you think the players think of all the moves so far? We haven't heard much, I'm sure they know Kenny is trying to build a dynasty, but surely they have other feelings, too. What are they thinking about all this?

The Critic
12-15-2005, 10:38 AM
If (when) they continue to win, the chemistry will be just fine, I think.
I don't believe in chemistry too much - if a team is losing, some guys are out for their own stats/position/bargaining power. You'll still have that to some degree, even when a team is winning, but it's less blatant and not really emphasized as much.

INSox56
12-15-2005, 10:44 AM
***FIRST POST*** :dtroll:

I think that it is a flowing sort of chemistry that will generally follow two people, Buehrle and Ozzie. Konerko to a certain extent, though he is quieter. If you watch Buehrle in the dugout, he jerks around the majority of the time and keeps everyone loose because he is, self admittedly, a big kid. When he gets bored, he messes around. Same with Ozzie, though he's just crazy. If you've ever thought about it, no matter how crappy a mood you might be in, if you have a crazy friend who's always screwing around, they can usually keep you from dwelling on how crappy you feel. So I think it'll follow them and their antics a bit and allow everyone to be loose with each other in turn.

Randar68
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know about Vasquez in terms of clubhouse presense, but Brian Anderson is a great guy in the clubhouse, as is Jim Thome. 2 of the best teammates you could have, keep you loose, always having fun.

We'll see how the bench fills out, as those guys are really glue guys on most teams with great chemistry. Timo and Carl were guys like that last year. Mackowiak is a good guy, that shouldn't be an issue, either.

voodoochile
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
:walnuts
"Thanks for getting a huge bat to help me out, KW. You're the best."

:burly
"You da Man, KW! Check your mail in a couple of days. I sent you some nog for your Christmas party."

:garcia:
"I have no idea how you landed Vazquez, but man that was a great move, KW. Two more years and I want an even better contract than he has."

:AJ:
"Another Ace to catch? Well okay if you insist. Hey, Kenny. I sent you some Nog... what?... Buehrle did what? Oh man... Hey KW, don't drink to much eggnog at the party, otherwise you are going to have a tough time fleecing the O's out of Tejada."

:contreras:
"KW mi amigo. Mucho Gracias, Senor Williams."

:iguchi:
"I get to hit in front of Jim Thome? Be still my beating heart."

:uribe:
"Hey, Tejada is better than me, if you can make that deal, you do it."

:jon:
"How is Baltimore this time of year. It's too freaking cold in Chicago anyway."

:reinsy:
"Hey Kenny, way to go. I am looking forward to raising a second straight World Series Banner in April 2007. Careful with that money, it doesn't grow on trees, even if it is raining down on us at the moment."

:ozzie:
"I make out the ****ing lineups. What the **** am I going to tinker with if you land Tejada? Please, I only get to do so much every day. I have to have something to think about, or I'll drive everyone else mad with my incessant chatter. I still haven't gotten more than a two-word response out of Haaaarold yet, and that was simply a 'you betcha'. 6 starters and an All-Star lineup? What am I supposed to do, collect rings and become a ****ing Chicago icon? ****... ****... ****... Oh... and thanks..."

nevr say dye sox
12-15-2005, 10:48 AM
First of all Duque couldn't speak English so I don't think he accounted for much chemistry...Not sure if Vizcino could speak english...Marte was a cancer...Dinosaur was weird...It look like Rowand was really the only one we lost that would have brought good carma to the team chemistry!

I'll take the guys we have in trade. Thanks KW

JGarlandrules20
12-15-2005, 10:58 AM
:jon:
"How is Baltimore this time of year. It's too freaking cold in Chicago anyway."
Mean. :(:

More like: "I was just messing with you all. When can I sign my reasonable 3yr extention??"

....a girl can wish.

zach61
12-15-2005, 11:17 AM
First of all, let me say this-

In Kenny I Trust.

He has made some brilliant moves, IMO, and at least 2 more are to follow in the weeks leading up to Spring Training (that's right, WEEKS!). Whether you believe it or not, clubhouse chemistry played an important role in bringing us a World Championship. By last count, seven members of last years team will not be with us next year. While I understand that these moves were necessary, and we are a much better team on paper, I have to wonder if we are a better team in the clubhouse.

Surely losing Duque will have some effect on Contrares, even if it is minor. AJ has already lost Rowand, Crede may be next. Buerhle may lose his best friend on the team in Garland.

We have added an ultimate team guy in Thome. I don't know anything about Vazquez, so I won't speculate on what kind of person or teammate he is.

I trust Kenny is making the right moves, and I trust Ozzie can keep the balance behind closed doors. I guess my question is what do you think the players think of all the moves so far? We haven't heard much, I'm sure they know Kenny is trying to build a dynasty, but surely they have other feelings, too. What are they thinking about all this?

Nobody lost any friends. They just play for different teams now. I would imagine they saw a lot more "friends" leave when they were in the minors. And do you really think AJ didn't have any friends until he came here and met Rowand?

Bucky F. Dent
12-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Thome is a solid a team leader as you are going to find in the league. To the extent that any leadership was lost with these deals (i.e Rowand) Thome will make up for it.

fusillirob1983
12-15-2005, 11:28 AM
First of all Duque couldn't speak English so I don't think he accounted for much chemistry...Not sure if Vizcino could speak english...Marte was a cancer...Dinosaur was weird...It look like Rowand was really the only one we lost that would have brought good carma to the team chemistry!

El Duque can speak English and Carl was a leader in the clubhouse.

Milw
12-15-2005, 11:28 AM
First of all Duque couldn't speak English so I don't think he accounted for much chemistry...Not sure if Vizcino could speak english...
At least half of the team speaks Spanish as a primary language. An inability to speak English on a United Nations-worthy team like the Sox is insignificant.

Duque's departure WILL have an impact on chemistry. Not saying that makes it a bad trade, but it is what it is.

JGarlandrules20
12-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Sweet. You must know these players pretty personally. Hook me up. :rolleyes:

ND_Sox_Fan
12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
If I am on this team, the hunger and excitement for the start of the season has to be a starting point for the "chemistry." There are enough new guys coming in who want to win their first, enough hungry guys who want to win their second, and the excitement of playing with new top-flight guys has to be motivation in itself for everyone.The additions have to add to the intra-team competitiveness and hopefully will improve everyone. These are all professional guys who have respect for each other - they will be fine.

soxinem1
12-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm a little short on giving Vasquez they key to the city just yet. For a 29 year old underachiever he sure seems to whine a lot.

And this 'playing closer to home' crap is getting really stale. I love Chicago but for $11 million + a year I'll travel free for six months. Didn't these guys know they were in store for this before they signed their first pro contracts?

If he'd rather play n the dominican League and earn the great salaries they pay, then they should let him out of his contract if he wants to go home. Freakin' Momma's Boy!

I'm just real tired of these players, especially the high priced underachievers, not realizing what fortunate yahoos they are.

Without using the 'overpaid bum' analogies (oh, hey, I just did!) I just hope we are not picking up a more expensive version of Esteban Loaiza.

The Racehorse
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
"I get to hit in front of Jim Thome? Be still my beating heart."

"私はジムThome の前に当ることを得るか。まだありなさい私の打つ中心が。"

:bandance:

D. TODD
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
If (when) they continue to win, the chemistry will be just fine, I think.
I don't believe in chemistry too much - if a team is losing, some guys are out for their own stats/position/bargaining power. You'll still have that to some degree, even when a team is winning, but it's less blatant and not really emphasized as much. I agree winning or losing has the biggest effect on the atmosphere around the team.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Here's a basic Chemistry 101 lesson for everyone:

Winning solves everything...

Class dismissed.

Lip

nevr say dye sox
12-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey JGarlandrules20 you don't need to know them personally to figure out they don't interview El Duque after the game cause he doesn't speak English. However, I'll see what I can do about hookin you up!

XplodingScorbord
12-15-2005, 01:49 PM
***FIRST POST*** :dtroll:

I think that it is a flowing sort of chemistry that will generally follow two people, Buehrle and Ozzie. Konerko to a certain extent, though he is quieter. If you watch Buehrle in the dugout, he jerks around the majority of the time and keeps everyone loose because he is, self admittedly, a big kid. When he gets bored, he messes around. Same with Ozzie, though he's just crazy. If you've ever thought about it, no matter how crappy a mood you might be in, if you have a crazy friend who's always screwing around, they can usually keep you from dwelling on how crappy you feel. So I think it'll follow them and their antics a bit and allow everyone to be loose with each other in turn.

Good first post. A goofy, crazy friend can really chase the blues away.
:welcome:

JGarlandrules20
12-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey JGarlandrules20 you don't need to know them personally to figure out they don't interview El Duque after the game cause he doesn't speak English. However, I'll see what I can do about hookin you up!
I wasn't referring to El Duque specifically. I just don't think you can assume that all of the guys like Everett, Marte, Vizcaino had a negative or no effect on the great chemistry.

bigfoot
12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Atmosphere=Normal Clubhouse Air, heavily laden with cigar smoke and misting of Champagne!

Some of our more astute chemists on the Forum can figure out the chemical compositions.

With the pitching rotation becoming better and better, with every KW move, that "five series rings" has a nice sound, doesn't it?

voodoochile
12-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Atmosphere=Normal Clubhouse Air, heavily laden with cigar smoke and misting of Champagne!

Some of our more astute chemists on the Forum can figure out the chemical compositions.

With the pitching rotation becoming better and better, with every KW move, that "five series rings" has a nice sound, doesn't it?

oooo... brainstorm coming... thanks for the shot of muse juice...:D:

jerry myers
12-15-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm a little short on giving Vasquez they key to the city just yet. For a 29 year old underachiever he sure seems to whine a lot.

And this 'playing closer to home' crap is getting really stale. I love Chicago but for $11 million + a year I'll travel free for six months. Didn't these guys know they were in store for this before they signed their first pro contracts?

If he'd rather play n the dominican League and earn the great salaries they pay, then they should let him out of his contract if he wants to go home. Freakin' Momma's Boy!

I'm just real tired of these players, especially the high priced underachievers, not realizing what fortunate yahoos they are.

Without using the 'overpaid bum' analogies (oh, hey, I just did!) I just hope we are not picking up a more expensive version of Esteban Loaiza.me to some need to come back to earth and praise god for what they have.

kevin57
12-15-2005, 06:52 PM
I think clubhouse dynamics are critical, and while winning helps a lot, a talented team does not always equal a successful team. Sox players to a man--even during their dog days of September--did not go after each other. They would play team ball and not gripe about it. That's critical.

However, I don't see the chemistry changing dramatically. Rowand bled black-and-white. That's a loss in that way. But Thome is known to be a good influence. I've even heard positive things about Vazquez in that regard.