PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee to Cubs in 07?

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I was wondering when the Chicago Media would start tampering with El Caballo again. Remember when I predicted that after the trade that sent Caballo to the Brewers, and that the next year, he would end up a Cubby because they would "pay" him?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-051214cubs,1,7691540.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Flight #24
12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I was wondering when the Chicago Media would start tampering with El Caballo again. Remember when I predicted that after the trade that sent Caballo to the Brewers, and that the next year, he would end up a Cubby because they would "pay" him?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-051214cubs,1,7691540.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I love the line that he has a grudge against KW & Ozzie. Nice throw-in.

By the way, Hangar - they can have him, and Magglio too. I'll go to war quite happily with our current offense, thank you.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 10:00 AM

Yes, nothing quite like joining a team on the other side of town that plays in a completely different league to show your old team up.

:rolleyes:

chaerulez
12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
It's possible but many other teams will be bidding for him that have money... Yankees (Sheffield's contract will be up, so they could move him to RF), Red Sox (certainly better than Trot Nixon), Mets (Floyd's contract is up by then)... so lets not write him in as a Cub just yet.

mccoydp
12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't understand what Lee's "grudge" is against Ozzie and Kenny. He *could* grow up and get over it, whatever it is. Business is business. Too many players like to soil their reputation with their former team & fans by harboring a "grudge" and spouting off at the mouth when traded. Ugh...

For example: Lee, Maggs, Grilli, etc.

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 10:09 AM
It's possible but many other teams will be bidding for him that have money... Yankees (Sheffield's contract will be up, so they could move him to RF), Red Sox (certainly better than Trot Nixon), Mets (Floyd's contract is up by then)... so lets not write him in as a Cub just yet.

Well, my point is the Chicago Media is ALREADY TAMPERING with a Milwaukee player. Note the "feud" the Cubune tossed in there, and the mention that he still has an apartment here, and that Carlos Lee has said he "wants to play for the Cubs" ........... Reason 21,566 why I hate that team.
I truly hope he goes somewhere else .........

It's Time
12-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes, nothing quite like joining a team on the other side of town that plays in a completely different league to show your old team up.

:rolleyes:

LOL. :cool:

TDog
I saw the line yesterday and thought how it would endear a Brewer player to the fans, him wanting to play for the Cubs.

Must be a blow to his ego to think that all the Sox needed to do to win the World Series for the first time in 88 years was to trade him for a player who wouldn't hit any home runs for six months (but would end World Series Game 2).

Norberto7
Too many players like to soil their reputation with their former team & fans by harboring a "grudge" and spouting off at the mouth when traded. Ugh...

For example: Lee, Maggs, Grilli, etc.

Grilli had a reputation?

Chicken Dinner
12-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Is the Cubune really considered Chicago media?????? :o:

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Is the Cubune really considered Chicago media?????? :o:

It sure is, when they own over a hundred other newspapers, tv stations,
controls the WB network, and OWNS an MLB franchise which it favors heavily and devotes most of its coverage to, "forcing" the OTHER newspaper in town (SunTimes) who is in DIRECT competition with the Tribune, to try to Out-Cub the Tribune with their coverage. So as the Tribune goes ....
so goes the perceptions of the thousands of Sheep who are "fans" of that team.

Dan Mega
12-15-2005, 11:00 AM
I hope he goes to the Cardinals. Just to rub it in their face.

anewman35
12-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, my point is the Chicago Media is ALREADY TAMPERING with a Milwaukee player.

Teams can tamper. The media can't, it has every right to say whatever it wants. Honestly, I wouldn't blame Lee if he did have a grudge against the Sox, Ozzie and KW made some comments about him last year that weren't too flattering.

bobowhite
12-15-2005, 11:07 AM

A lot of a player's grudge has to do with how one departs a team. Although I was never traded (they tried but the Hawks just wouldn't part with either their Coke machine or the bag of balls) I had teammates who were. In general I can say it is how you find out about the trade that makes all the difference in the world. If your manager and GM call you in and tell you directly and honestly and explain that they got good value for you, then it normally goes a lot easier. If you find out via reporter or read it in the paper, as I understand CLee did, then grudges are often the result.

zach23
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Remember when I predicted that after the trade that sent Caballo to the Brewers, and that the next year, he would end up a Cubby because they would "pay" him?

You also predicted that 2005 would be the last season for Konerko in a Sox uniform because they wouldn't "pay" him. How did that one go?

Why do you care so much about who the cubs get? I would be more worried about who the Twins and Indians are getting.

Iwritecode
12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Teams can tamper. The media can't, it has every right to say whatever it wants.

So what's it called when the media owns a team and expresses desire to sign that player?

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Teams can tamper. The media can't, it has every right to say whatever it wants.

I think you meant this the other way around .......Teams CANT Tamper, the Media can say whatever they want. You forgot that the TRIBUNE OWNS THE CUBS, and they have a history of starting rumors, planting seeds, talking to players still under contract, asking how they feel about Playing
"for team with loyal, 40,000 fans every day, a team with 'history'" andyou pretty much realize the Veneer the Cubs hide behind is a sham. Bud,
you reading this?

anewman35
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
So what's it called when the media owns a team and expresses desire to sign that player?

I know you all have conspiracy theories, and I don't deny that on some level the Tribune does have a pro-Cubs bias, but you can't honestly think that the individual columnists are told by the Cubs what to write. If anything like that was happening and was exposed, there would be a huge scandal that I guarantee you the Tribune Company doesn't want.

voodoochile
12-15-2005, 11:34 AM
:whocares:

:threadsucks:

Rocky Soprano
12-15-2005, 11:50 AM
:whocares:

:threadsucks:

About time someone said it!

cheeses_h_rice
12-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Seriously, Hangar, who cares?

zach23
12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
And let Carlos Lee hold a grudge against Kenny and Ozzie, they get to hold World Series trophy.

SoxFanSince67
12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
"Lee's top choice as a free agent would be returning to Chicago with the Cubs."

Has Lee ever stated he wanted to play for the Cubs or this just more of the Cubs assuming everyone wants to play for them?

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 01:05 PM
"Lee's top choice as a free agent would be returning to Chicago with the Cubs."

Has Lee ever stated he wanted to play for the Cubs or this just more of the Cubs assuming everyone wants to play for them?

Thats exactly it. Hes NEVER said he wanted to be a Cub. The Cubs are surely assuming everyone wants to play here for them ......... and they are TAMPERING, plain and simple. They also throw in the "Grudge" factor, which is most certainly overblown. If there was a Commissioner in Baseball, the Cubs wouldve gotten their hands slapped/Wallets lightened a long time ago

Ol' No. 2
12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Thats exactly it. Hes NEVER said he wanted to be a Cub. The Cubs are surely assuming everyone wants to play here for them ......... and they are TAMPERING, plain and simple. They also throw in the "Grudge" factor, which is most certainly overblown. If there was a Commissioner in Baseball, the Cubs wouldve gotten their hands slapped/Wallets lightened a long time agoHonest to God, Henry, I think you spend more time worrying about the Cubs than you do thinking about the Sox.:(:

zach23
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Honest to God, Henry, I think you spend more time worrying about the Cubs than you do thinking about the Sox.:(:

The Sox are the defending World Champs and they are gearing up to contend next year and possibly for years to come and Hangar's big concern is Paul Sullivan speculating that the cubs might be interested in Carlos Lee if the Brewers let him walk in 2007.

This is where the stereotype that Sox fans care more about the cubs than their own team comes from.

kittle42
12-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Henry,

You are aware that the Sox, our favorite team:

- Just won the World Series
- Have made several huge moves this offseason, one as recently as, um, yesterday
- Are poised to win big again in 2006
- Possibly have more moves on the horizon

???

I was just wondering since many of your posts lately regarding The Chicago National League Ballclub could easily have just been written last offseason, as they contain the exact tone and attitude. You know, um, before the Sox won the World Series and all.

mccoydp
12-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Grilli had a reputation?

I just had to throw him in there. But, you are correct, it was pretty much nil.

woodenleg
12-15-2005, 06:47 PM
The Sox are the defending World Champs and they are gearing up to contend next year and possibly for years to come and Hangar's big concern is Paul Sullivan speculating that the cubs might be interested in Carlos Lee if the Brewers let him walk in 2007.

This is where the stereotype that Sox fans care more about the cubs than their own team comes from.

Hangar is the source for ALL of the stereotypes?

Look - there are two teams in town. You might be a fan of the south side team, but it just seems illogical to ignore the other one completely if you have an interest in baseball.

It's kind of hard to ignore the other team, so you may as well hold them up to scrutiny.

Besides, Carlos Lee used to be our guy. But it's kind of hard to picture him
in a Cubs uniform, I must say, all things considered....

JB98
12-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I actually laughed at today's Cubune article. Corey Patterson in RF? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a joke! They can't give that guy away. And Sullivan had the gall to compare Patterson to DLee, citing the fact that DLee had a couple of crappy seasons in Florida back in '98 and '99. Apparently, that's "proof" that C-Pat will turn things around.

CLee with a grudge against KW and Ozzie? Maybe. I guess he'll show us by signing with the Cubs.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Hangar is the source for ALL of the stereotypes?

Look - there are two teams in town. You might be a fan of the south side team, but it just seems illogical to ignore the other one completely if you have an interest in baseball.If you're lucky, maybe Hangar will give you one of his used tin foil hats. :dunno:

doublem23
12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Look - there are two teams in town. You might be a fan of the south side team, but it just seems illogical to ignore the other one completely if you have an interest in baseball.
As a fan of a World Champion baseball team that has just acquired Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez, I have little time to worry about the moves of a perpetual loser that may or may not occur 12 months from now.

:bluerock

Seriously, Hangar, no one around here gives a **** any more.

They can have Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Esteban Loaiza, Bartolo Colon, Jose Valentin, Miguel Olivo, and Shingo Takatsu and take another stab at the 2003 World Series.

voodoochile
12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
As a fan of a World Champion baseball team that has just acquired Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez, I have little time to worry about the moves of a perpetual loser that may or may not occur 12 months from now.

They can have Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Esteban Loaiza, Bartolo Colon, Jose Valentin, Miguel Olivo, and Shingo Takatsu and take another stab at the 2003 World Series.

Everytime I see that tag, I am reminded that halfway between Jacksonville (where I presently live) and New Bern (where I used to live and my Mom still does) there is a company called Blue Rock industries. Whenever I see the sign, I can't help but wonder if it's a subsidiary of the Trib corp. Selling that cubbie blue crack to everyone...

FarWestChicago
12-15-2005, 10:08 PM

They can have Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Esteban Loaiza, Bartolo Colon, Jose Valentin, Miguel Olivo, and Shingo Takatsu and take another stab at the 2003 World Series.Well done, Doub!! Down with the Flubsessed!! :thumbsup:

Palehose13
12-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Well done, Doub!! Down with the Flubsessed!! :thumbsup:

Is that our new battle cry for 2006? :cool:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Is that our new battle cry for 2006? :cool:Well, the only Dark Clouds left are complete lunatics. The Flubsessed would be a good target for conversion to sanity. :D:

fquaye149
12-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, the only Dark Clouds left are complete lunatics. The Flubsessed would be a good target for conversion to sanity. :D:

No **** huh. I thought it was bad enough when people were bemoaning the Cubs signing Pierre (thread title: "And it gets worse!!!!..." etc.) but now Hangar is bemoaning what the Cubs MIGHT do in 2007?

Look - we just traded for Thome, resigned Konerko, dealt three bullpen arms for a utility infielder and starting pitcher as well as traded our top OF prospect and another move, perhaps for Tejada, is on its way and you're starting threads about what the Cubs MIGHT do in TWO YEARS?

WOW:rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
12-16-2005, 03:33 AM
The Flubsessed would be a good target for conversion to sanity. :D:

At this point anyone walking the line who has not converted to the Sox is a lost cause and I accept that