PDA

View Full Version : North Out For Tommy John...

DrCrawdad
12-14-2005, 11:10 PM
According to the Cubune, Mike North has pulled out of consideration for the Sox radio gig, in is Tommy John! Thumbs up to Tommy John doing the radio broadcast!

brewcrew/chisox
12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey Crawdad,

great news! Is there a link?

Tragg
12-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Is it great news because John is good? Where's he been working?

Kogs35
12-14-2005, 11:18 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051214soxnorthradio,1,982306.story?coll=cs-home-headlines (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051214soxnorthradio,1,982306.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

it saids tommy john is the fav.

ATXBMX
12-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Is it great news because John is good? Where's he been working?

Radio PBP for the Charlotte Knights.

Daver
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
I would rather have him as the pitching coach for the Charlotte Knights.

DrCrawdad
12-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey Crawdad,

great news! Is there a link?

Here you go.

Former Sox pitcher Tommy John appears to be the front-runner, but the team and WSCR maintain no decision has been made. - ChicagoSports.com

DrCrawdad
12-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I would rather have him as the pitching coach for the Charlotte Knights.

I remember hearing TJ on the SCORE a few years ago. TJ was then broadcasting Knights games, which I thought he was not doing any longer. Anyway, I remember TJ saying how teams were too enamored with the "radar" gun and should have focused on results and talent. A man after Daver's heart...

Daver
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I remember hearing TJ on the SCORE a few years ago. TJ was then broadcasting Knights games, which I thought he was not doing any longer. Anyway, I remember TJ saying how teams were too enamored with the "radar" gun and should have focused on results and talent. A man after Daver's heart...

He also knows that MLB pitcthers suffer arm injuries by not throwing enough, but I won't bore you with that argument.

:)

Corlose 15
12-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey, he's got the same name as that popular surgical procedure! What a coincidence.:redneck

TommyJohn
12-15-2005, 08:27 AM
According to the Cubune, Mike North has pulled out of consideration for the Sox radio gig, in is Tommy John! Thumbs up to Tommy John doing the radio broadcast!

Was North ever in?

cheeses_h_rice
12-15-2005, 08:56 AM
...and the ears of a million Sox fans rejoice.

:gulp:

Hangar18
12-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Im sure Ive mentioned this before, but we need to figure out a way to get
Bob Uecker here

veeter
12-15-2005, 08:59 AM
This is good news. To me announcers should be like good umpires. They should do the job and go unnoticed. North would want to be the show ahead of the White Sox.

MsSoxVixen22
12-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry, I've never heard of Tommy John. Who is he? :redface:

Dan H
12-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Pitched for the Sox from mid 60's to early 70's. Won over 280 games in his great career.I'm sorry, I've never heard of Tommy John. Who is he? :redface:

chaerulez
12-15-2005, 09:25 AM
This is great news. I doubt North was ever in any serious contention in anyones mind except himself.

tebman
12-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry, I've never heard of Tommy John. Who is he? :redface:

Wikipedia has a nice summary of Tommy John's career and the surgical procedure that's associated with his name.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_John)

my5thbench
12-15-2005, 09:51 AM
great news....I've heard Tommy John on the Score a few times & found him

terrifically entertaining....good hire Sox

34 Inch Stick
12-15-2005, 09:54 AM
If John gets the job I think he will soon establish himself as a baseball resource that is on par with someone like Steve Stone.

monkeypants
12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I think the more amazing news from that article is that North's show has shown sharply improved ratings.

TommyJohn
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
...and the ears of a million Sox fans rejoice.

:gulp:

To say nothing of the ears of every dog in Chicago.

SOXPHILE
12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
It's been pointed out by Lip and several other here, that North was never even in the running for the job. You never heard anything about it from the White Sox. The only ones who ever mentioned it were North, and his yes men at the station. He was just on the phone with Fred and Lawrence Holmes saying how "He took himself out to consideration, his ego wouldn't let him, etc." He's an egomaniac, and a liar. The whole thing was just a publicity stunt. Also, shame on Ed Sherman in the Cubune for writing about it, as if he actually WERE ever in consideration. More shoddy reporting from The Tower. Hey Ed, did North give you a copy of "Caucasian Man" and a coupon to Basta Pasta to write that article ? Isn't it about time you got back to towing the company line, and put out a few more columns propping up and defending Ron Santo ?

MsSoxVixen22
12-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Wikipedia has a nice summary of Tommy John's career and the surgical procedure that's associated with his name.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_John)

Thanks so much!

HITMEN OF 77
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I'd like to have Tommy John doing Sox radio. Tommy John was part of the trade that saved the White Sox franchise in 1971, when he was traded for Dick Allen. Probably the best front line 3 pitchers in baseball in the mid 60's with John, Horlen and Peters.

tacosalbarojas
12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Grrrreat news. Here's hoping you get the gig, tj.

gowhitesox
12-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Tommy John was a pitcher for the White Sox from 1965-1971. He had wins in double figures in every year with the Sox except 1969. He also played for Cleveland and the L.A. Dodgers.

I always thought he was a good pitcher

gowhitesox
12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
If Tommy John is the choice would he be the PBP man or the analyst? I would think a PBP man since the Sox are filling John Rooney's spot.

HomeFish
12-15-2005, 01:21 PM
If Tommy John is the choice would he be the PBP man or the analyst? I would think a PBP man since the Sox are filling John Rooney's spot.

Farmer is being promoted to PBP.

Mots09
12-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Does this mean that Hawk is still going to on the color picture box? In addition anymore word on who will replace DJ if he doesn't get an offer from the Sox?

Lip Man 1
12-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Hitmen:

Don't forget about a hard throwing left hander named Juan Pizarro.

Lip

RichFitztightly
12-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey, he's got the same name as that popular surgical procedure! What a coincidence.:redneck

In addition, he also recieved the same surgery that bears his name, it's kinda like Lou Gehrig coming down with Lou Gehrig's disease... What are the freakin' odds?

Chez
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
It's been pointed out by Lip and several other here, that North was never even in the running for the job. You never heard anything about it from the White Sox. The only ones who ever mentioned it were North, and his yes men at the station. He was just on the phone with Fred and Lawrence Holmes saying how "He took himself out to consideration, his ego wouldn't let him, etc." He's an egomaniac, and a liar. The whole thing was just a publicity stunt. Also, shame on Ed Sherman in the Cubune for writing about it, as if he actually WERE ever in consideration. More shoddy reporting from The Tower. Hey Ed, did North give you a copy of "Caucasian Man" and a coupon to Basta Pasta to write that article ? Isn't it about time you got back to towing the company line, and put out a few more columns propping up and defending Ron Santo ?

For what it's worth, Ed Sherman is a huge White Sox fan.

BeviBall!
12-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I like how, when you read North's quotes, he thought it was his job to lose... and that by his own graciousness, he's backing out. As if he could do the morning show and the Sox games. What a clown.

TheKittle
12-15-2005, 01:45 PM
In addition, he also recieved the same surgery that bears his name, it's kinda like Lou Gehrig coming down with Lou Gehrig's disease... What are the freakin' odds?

I know this post is in teal. But Lou Gehrig's disease was always called ALS before Gehrig came down with the disease.

Which is interesting because in the case of my diseases, it's named after the person who found the diease, for example Parkinson's Disease or the sypmtoms of the disease like scarlet fever.

Gehrig is the only "disease" named after some who suffered and died from the disease.

SOecks
12-15-2005, 01:57 PM
I like how, when you read North's quotes, he thought it was his job to lose... and that by his own graciousness, he's backing out. As if he could do the morning show and the Sox games. What a clown.

Hell, he can't even do his morning show well and that's his only gig. The thing that makes me mad about the article is the notion that his ratings are up when he's getting crushed by everybody and his listeners have not gone up one bit since this abortion of a morning show started over a year ago.

RallyBowl
12-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Isn't his daughter married to Bears longsnapper Pat Mannelly? I wonder if they live here, and if this would influence his decision to take the job if offered. He would be a good choice, IMO.

deck27
12-15-2005, 02:07 PM
So when he's announcing and talking about a pitcher healing from elbow trouble, does he say "what a comeback from my surgery"?

34 Inch Stick
12-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Hell, he can't even do his morning show well and that's his only gig. The thing that makes me mad about the article is the notion that his ratings are up when he's getting crushed by everybody and his listeners have not gone up one bit since this abortion of a morning show started over a year ago.

I'm with you. Isn't one of the sayings in reporting that if your mother tells you she loves you verify it with two other sources? I do not believe he was either in the running or that his ratings have gone up. Ed Sherman takes the information as fact when he could have very easily verified the truth.

TommyJohn
12-15-2005, 02:46 PM

:ass

DDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!!!!!
I was da frontrunner for da job, so I shoun't give it up! I had it made in
da sun!!! But I'll give it up fer Tommy, cause he's MY GUY! Even dough
he was on dat '67 team dat needed ta win onny one a da last five ta
win da pennant, but losted all five! An' I oughta know, cause I was dere
in da stands, lookin' fer girlfriends ta steal! Course, I'm onny doin' it cause
it's Tommy! If it were Don Buford 'er Tommie McCraw I wouldn't be doin'
dis, ya know!

dickallen15
12-15-2005, 02:48 PM
I can't believe the Score would take all this time to fill the position and the best they could do was Tommy John. Tommy's a nice guy and everything, but believe me for those who have to listen to the radio, stock up on the No Dose.

ChiSoxRowand
12-15-2005, 03:27 PM

I was listening to him right after I woke up yesterday, I just heard about the Vazquez trade on the scoreboard update. I thought North would be talking about it, but instead he was talking to Kato Kaelin. The guy is an absolute joke. Shame on anybody who buys his CD.

SOecks
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
I was listening to him right after I woke up yesterday, I just heard about the Vazquez trade on the scoreboard update. I thought North would be talking about it, but instead he was talking to Kato Kaelin. The guy is an absolute joke. Shame on anybody who buys his CD.

With the fully stocked displays at Best Buy, I don't think there will be many shamed people. Only a few mindless turds (probably all in North's family) will buy that garbage cd. I also guarantee that the only time you see a caucasian man shirt is on a homeless person (no offense to the homeless).

heartslasher
12-15-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't think I ever actually heard him, but I have definitely heard enough about him!:redface:

RetireWoodys28
12-15-2005, 04:57 PM
In addition to Peters, Horlen, John and Pizarro as the starters, the Sox had a bullpen that included the likes of Wilbur Wood and Hoyt Wilhelm back then. Any kind of hitting (or maybe a break or two, ala this year) and that '67 team could have conceivably beaten the Cardinals in the WS.

chisoxfanatic
12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Im sure Ive mentioned this before, but we need to figure out a way to get
Bob Uecker here

Contact Mr. Belvidere!

slavko
12-15-2005, 05:28 PM

Kato Kaelin!!!! Kato bleepin' Kaelin!!!! He's 10 years removed from the "F" list!!! (Real first name according to Letterman:Dorko)

Analyze what Sherman's short article says: Because the show's ratings are improving, Mike is giving up his dream of calling Sox games. Does this mean that if the ratings stayed in the toilet, he would have stayed in the running for the color job? Where's the logic here?

Anyway, kudos to Mike for his magnanimous act of kindness to Tommy John in withdrawing his name.

ShoelessJoeS
12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Was North ever in?
Unfortunately, he was under heavy consideration for the job. Great news, however!

SouthSide_HitMen
12-15-2005, 06:34 PM
He also knows that MLB pitcthers suffer arm injuries by not throwing enough, but I won't bore you with that argument.

:)

Sounds like another pitching coach who is not too shabby.

http://www.bethebest.com/baseba15.gif

soxfan1965
12-16-2005, 06:14 AM
It would be great to have Tommy back, with his daughter (Chicago Bears) and son having roots here. Especially after losing someone like Rooney. Not saying that John is a good broadcaster, I've not heard him. But having someone who played the game, you will get a lot of good stories, in case Ed Farmer runs out of them. To think that John was a part of the rotation that almost carried the White Sox to the World Series in 1967 with almost no hitting support. Like to hear stories about that year and his pitching to age 46 with a bionic arm.

I don't know if I'm happier to see John in the Booth or North NOT in the booth.

hose
12-16-2005, 06:17 AM
I've never heard Tommy do a ball game but I have heard him interviewed on radio and I couldn't get enough of him.

ChiSoxGirl
12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Contact Mr. Belvidere!

I LOVE IT!:roflmao:

miker
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
With all of the posts in this thread by people who hadn't heard of Tommy John, I'm starting to feel very old.:(:

cheeses_h_rice
12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
With all of the posts in this thread by people who hadn't heard of Tommy John, I'm starting to feel very old.:(:

He's that famous surgeon, right?

:wink:

SOXSINCE'70
12-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I can't believe the Score would take all this time to fill the position and the best they could do was Tommy John. Tommy's a nice guy and everything, but believe me for those who have to listen to the radio, stock up on the No Dose.

It's even harder to believe this is the new PBP radio guy.
Oh,Xerxes,I could really use you in 2006.

:farmer

"Light it up,folks".:rolleyes:

34 Inch Stick
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately, he was under heavy consideration for the job. !

Don't believe the hype. He was never under serious consideration by the sox.

CluelessJoe1919
12-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Just wondering, but has Al Cowens been given consideration for the job with Farmer?
That would be some interesting radio, especially if they reflect back on yesteryear.

TommyJohn
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Just wondering, but has Al Cowens been given consideration for the job with Farmer?
That would be some interesting radio, especially if they reflect back on yesteryear.

Al Cowens is dead.

CluelessJoe1919
12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Al Cowens is dead.I didnt'' realize he was dead..sorry