PDA

View Full Version : Bill Mueller signs with the Dodgers (for real this time)

mjmcend
12-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Dodgers signed third baseman Bill Mueller, who had been with the Red Sox, to a two-year contract.
It's believed to be worth $9.5 million. The Red Sox will get the Dodgers' third-round pick -- their first was protected and the second went to the Braves for Rafael Furcal -- as well as a supplemental first-rounder for losing Mueller. Ideally, Mueller will hit second for the Dodgers. He did most of his damage for Boston at the bottom of the lineup, but the majority of his career at-bats have come as a No. 2 hitter and the Dodgers will need his on-base ability behind Furcal. Dec. 14 - 8:14 pm et

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Dodgers got a great player.....I am going to miss him

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/16/mueller_leaves_an_enduring_mark_with_sox/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

Think about it. He played here almost every day for three years at a time when the Sox achieved popularity that bordered on religious fanaticism. He won a batting title for the Red Sox and played Gold Glove-caliber defense. He hit three home runs in a game. In a time when David Ortiz emerged as the Sox' greatest clutch hitter since Yaz, Mueller delivered two of the biggest hits in the history of the franchise. Oh, and does anybody remember that Mueller hit .429 when the Red Sox won their first World Series since World War I?

He was polite and respectful with everyone, but had little to say about his Boston baseball experience. Fans still wax poetic about onetime Sox characters such as Ken Harrelson, Rogelio Moret, and Spike Owen. Mueller did more for the Red Sox than any of them, but who will remember? He never really said hello or goodbye. He just did his job every day.

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:47 AM
My last memory of the guy was watching him sulk in the dugout following a sweep by your World Champions.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm just glad he didn't end up in Minnesota. Once again...
:twinslose

MHOUSE
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm just glad he didn't end up in Minnesota. Once again...
:twinslose

Brilliant. The Dodgers are shaping up nicely down the stretch here in the offseason.