PDA

View Full Version : What Does The Trade Say About Anderson

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Has KW just made a huge statement about his confidence in Anderson by dealing Young?

Malgar 12
12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Has KW just made a huge statement about his confidence in Anderson by dealing Young?

It would seem that way. Of course he could be planning to turn around and trade Garland for a Centerfielder.

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 11:21 AM

Yes, he and Ryan Sweeney.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-14-2005, 11:23 AM
IMO it says pitching and defense...as well as power in the middle of the lineup is how a defending WS champ sets up to repeat. Kenny continues to amaze....

No teal here...how long before Steinbrenner starts sniffing at the door for KW's services? Does another WS make him too hot to hold onto?

Flight #24
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
IMO it says pitching and defense...as well as power in the middle of the lineup is how a defending WS champ sets up to repeat. Kenny continues to amaze....

No teal here...how long before Steinbrenner starts sniffing at the door for KW's services? Does another WS make him too hot to hold onto?

KW will GM the Sox as long as he wants to, and I don't see him jumping ship. He seems to be more of a loyal/organization guy than that. I especially don't see him moving from a loyal, set the budget and let your guys do their jobs type of owner like JR to a meddling, wannabe-GM like Big Stein.

Hokiesox
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Doubt it, he's spent most of his career here as a player and now a GM. He's a company guy, and right now...he is the company. And that's just fine with me.

Madvora
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Yes, he and Ryan Sweeney.
AND Owens.... we're loaded!

Dan Mega
12-14-2005, 11:37 AM
He probably has the same stance as Cooper: "My loyalty is here."

Big dollars and the glory that comes with working in New York probably wouldn't entice him.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
While I agree with the general feeling, methinks a Georgie Boy is lying in the weeds....but truth be told, those spotlights can burn more than they shine sometimes.

bobowhite
12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
It would seem that way. Of course he could be planning to turn around and trade Garland for a Centerfielder.

While he may trade Garland, I doubt it is for a center fielder. Wait till you see Anderson play regularly.

IlliniSox4Life
12-14-2005, 12:16 PM

I agree I think Kenny will be faithful here.

Plus, personally, I think the legacy of someone who turns an organization into a perennial contender is much larger than that of someone who goes to the yankees and maybe wins a couple championships with a 200m payroll.

The Wall
12-14-2005, 12:21 PM
All said and done, georgy porgy would be a fool to fire Brian Cashman, a GM whose talents and skill is on par with KW's.

So long as we dont see a line up card for April 2nd with Anderson's name pencilled in as CF, we should wait on the vote of confidence. I think there is something cooking in KW's office right now :)

nevr say dye sox
12-14-2005, 12:21 PM
TOO much pressure in NY to win, I think KW likes being able to make his own moves here. In NY you have to work for the BOSS. In Chicago he is the BOSS with an advisor. In my opinoin he stay with the White Sox as long as he wants. If he wins another World Series, I promise you JR takes care of him finacially. Remember, JR said that KW was one of the only players he has ever recruited when he was at Stanford. He made a pledge to KW's parents that he would take car of him, and he has. KW is as loyal to JR as JR is to KW!

HawkISox
12-14-2005, 12:22 PM
carry on.

HomeFish
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't know about Kenny, but I have zero confidence in Anderson being capable of being a major-league center fielder offensively. He just plain out didn't impress me at all this September.

I think we have enough redundancy in infielders and outfield prospects to pull some kind of better CF. I believe that acquiring Mackowiack has made Crede expendable. I'm not sure Crede/Anderson alone would bring in a major-league CF, but I'm sure Crede's trade value can only be inflated by his playoff performance.

maurice
12-14-2005, 02:36 PM
KW has shown nothing but confidence in Anderson since Day 1. He traded not only Young but also Rowand and Reed, and declined to pursue Pierre. So the mediots in the Chicago papers think differently . . . BFD. Given their propensity to be 100% wrong about the Sox, the fact that the mediots (and cubbie-loving trolls like Homefish) hate Anderson is just another reason to share KW's confidence in him.

TheVulture
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
While he may trade Garland, I doubt it is for a center fielder. Wait till you see Anderson play regularly. Yeah, but Dye and Pods, though more likely Dye, could be gone after this year. The sox could get a good OF'er and still have 2 spots open for the prospects in '07.

Randar68
12-14-2005, 02:40 PM

It says exactly what I've been saying all along. Anderson is one of KW's favorites, if not THE favorite.

Fuller_Schettman
12-14-2005, 02:49 PM
What concerns me is the organization's statement regarding Neal Cotts. This is a fellow that can be an awesome starter or a lights out closer. He has to be wondering how long he will have to toil in (relative) obscurity as a set-up guy in the bullpen. I wonder what he is thinking with all of the movement of pitcher going on...

lumpyspun
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
What concerns me is the organization's statement regarding Neal Cotts. This is a fellow that can be an awesome starter or a lights out closer. He has to be wondering how long he will have to toil in (relative) obscurity as a set-up guy in the bullpen. I wonder what he is thinking with all of the movement of pitcher going on...

You kind of make it sound like Neal Cotts is beaten and whipped in the bullpen like a tortured Kurd under Saddam Hussein. If I'm not mistaken he was given a starer's role a few times and it didn't work out. Granted, he's a different pitcher now then he was then, but I think the team has used him effectively and he shouldn't have any reason to complain. He's young, he'll get a shot...

California Sox
12-14-2005, 03:09 PM
It says exactly what I've been saying all along. Anderson is one of KW's favorites, if not THE favorite.

Yeah, KW loves Anderson. Of course, his previous favorite was Borchard, so I'm not sure I share his faith. My opinion Young>Anderson.

Randar68
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM

HUH??? You don't think Cotts preferred his successful season as a set-up man with a growing responsibility? *** did he do as a starter to convince people that's where he should be?

Seriously, Cotts is going to get upset because any of Garcia, Buehrle, Vasquez, Contreras, Garland or BMac are starters aheaed of him?

This was just a totally worthless post.

Randar68
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, KW loves Anderson. Of course, his previous favorite was Borchard, so I'm not sure I share his faith. My opinion Young>Anderson.

Huh? Borchard was KW's favorite? News to me.

Fuller_Schettman
12-14-2005, 03:24 PM
HUH??? You don't think Cotts preferred his successful season as a set-up man with a growing responsibility? *** did he do as a starter to convince people that's where he should be?

Seriously, Cotts is going to get upset because any of Garcia, Buehrle, Vasquez, Contreras, Garland or BMac are starters aheaed of him?

This was just a totally worthless post.

You must have missed something Randar. Your posts usually have substance. My point was that as Cotts looks "down the road", he has to wonder where the organization sees him in 2007, 2008 and beyond. Who said he convinced anybody he should be a starter this year?

"Waiter! Valium, please!"

Tekijawa
12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't know about Kenny, but I have zero confidence in Anderson being capable of being a major-league center fielder offensively. He just plain out didn't impress me at all this September.

Yeah! All 34 of those at bats had me shaking in my boots!

Did you miss the Seattle Game? King Felix was unhittable before Brian got to him!

caulfield12
12-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah! All 34 of those at bats had me shaking in my boots!

Did you miss the Seattle Game? King Felix was unhittable before Brian got to him!

I hope KW doesn´t give BA another vote of confidence, lol.

We will know what KW thinks when BA is the starting CF on Opening Day in April. Until then, anything is possible, if not probable.

DumpJerry
12-14-2005, 03:42 PM

I think we have enough redundancy in infielders and outfield prospects to pull some kind of better CF. I believe that acquiring Mackowiack has made Crede expendable. I'm not sure Crede/Anderson alone would bring in a major-league CF, but I'm sure Crede's trade value can only be inflated by his playoff performance.
Now we see why Homefish will never be the Sox' GM.

KW is going nowhere as long as JR is in charge. JR has been like a father to KW for a long time, brought him into this world and treats him like a son. KW is completely loyal to JR and would not leave him for more bucks. While working for Steinbrenner may improve your retirement portfolio, your cardiologist and psychologist will also benefit because of the stress King George and the New York media place you under.

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM

I will change my post to read "Has KW reiterated the strong statment that Randar has made all along about his confidence in Anderson."

Randar68
12-14-2005, 04:11 PM
You must have missed something Randar. Your posts usually have substance. My point was that as Cotts looks "down the road", he has to wonder where the organization sees him in 2007, 2008 and beyond. Who said he convinced anybody he should be a starter this year?

"Waiter! Valium, please!"

How about, "set-up man?"

I don't understand your point, because there hasn't been one yet. He's not a closer, and he was inconsistent as a starter. "down the road?"

Almost every reliever sees themselves as some great starter or closer. So, in the end...

:whocares

Randar68
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I will change my post to read "Has KW reiterated the strong statment that Randar has made all along about his confidence in Anderson."

LOL! Much Better! :redneck

miker
12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Or did Kenny make this trade to justify his own position on Anderson?

Randar68
12-14-2005, 04:31 PM

How will it justify anything with respect to Young/Anderson? Young will have his chance in Arizona. Not like he traded him to some team in south Mongolia.

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2005, 04:38 PM

Isn't that what a GM does on a fairly regular basis? You draft, trade, elevate and sign players all based on your bias.

ChiSoxIn06
12-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Why is everyone so quick to jump the gun on Anderson not being able to be a CF? I say we hold our judgment on him until a few months into the season and go from there. Also for all the people upset that Young was dealt, we still have plenty of depth at the CF postion in the minors.

guillen4life13
12-14-2005, 04:52 PM
My guess on the whole situation: Vazquez isn't here for more than three-four weeks. I think that KW plans to trade him.

The Sox could use upgrades at all of the following:
-Relief
-Their relief staff is not comprised of Cotts, Politte, Dusty and Jenks. They could use two more, preferably with different dominant arms.
-CF
-Yes, Anderson may be the answer, but maybe not. I would not be surprised if the Sox turn around and get Crawford from TB for Vazquez. I would be very happy if this happened.

My guess is that Vazquez will be traded for a CF.

Tragg
12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
It says nothing about Anderson; Williams wanted this 5th starter, for whatever reason, and he was willing to give Arizona anything they wanted.

What it says is that Garland isn't in our long term plans.

And it says he doesn't have much confidence in McCarthy.

But I don't see it saying much about Anderson.

nodiggity59
12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Williams wanted this 5th starter, for whatever reason,

Injuries from 236+ times 4 innings, perhaps?

SoxFan76
12-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a gut feeling KW is going to trade Garland for a centerfielder. Who, I don't know. But in my opinion Brian Anderson will start in centerfield in 2006 for Charlotte.

maurice
12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Why is everyone so quick to jump the gun on Anderson not being able to be a CF?

Because any young player KW keeps must suck, while every young player KW trades is a lock to make the HOF. He's obviously imcompetent. Look at all those losing seasons he's had! Also, the opinion of a slew of mediots and 34 ABs clearly prove that Anderson can't play CF.

MadetoOrta
12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
For goodness sakes, Anderson has excelled at all levels of baseball. There is no reason to think that after 400+ abs in the show he won't be just as effective. He's a 1st round pick with pop, speed and an excellent glove. Why is it that the prospects we keep must suck? And, in order to GET something [Vazquez] you have to GIVE something [Young].

Like the Thome deal, these are the deals 1st tier teams [Boston, NYY, Atlanta] make because they are dealing from a position of strength.

RKMeibalane
12-14-2005, 11:17 PM

You know what, HomeFish? It was really nice not having you around during the second half of the season, primarily because we didn't have to listen to this bull**** from you every day. The Sox won their first championship in eighty eight years, and you're still bitching and complaining as though they haven't done a thing!

Give it up already! Has it occurred to you that Ken Williams knows something about Brian Anderson that the rest of us don't? Has it occurred to you that maybe Williams wants to give Anderson playing time in order to ensure that the Sox are competitive for several years to come, not just 2006? If Anderson comes even remotely close to reaching his potential, he will be a much better player than Aaron Rowand, or anyone else that the Sox could stick in centerfield for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what possessed you to come back here after your long hiatus, but I wish you had stayed hidden. The board was better off without you.

ElDuque26
12-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Trading away Chris Young may seem bad but we have three great CF prospects (anderson, JOwens, and sweeney) as well as now having 6 starters to aleviate any problems from the WBC and also to have some extra ammo for a midseason deal, something KW didnt have last year.

Fuller_Schettman
12-15-2005, 02:03 AM
You know what, HomeFish? It was really nice not having you around during the second half of the season, primarily because we didn't have to listen to this bull**** from you every day. The Sox won their first championship in eighty eight years, and you're still bitching and complaining as though they haven't done a thing!

Give it up already! Has it occurred to you that Ken Williams knows something about Brian Anderson that the rest of us don't? Has it occurred to you that maybe Williams wants to give Anderson playing time in order to ensure that the Sox are competitive for several years to come, not just 2006? If Anderson comes even remotely close to reaching his potential, he will be a much better player than Aaron Rowand, or anyone else that the Sox could stick in centerfield for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what possessed you to come back here after your long hiatus, but I wish you had stayed hidden. The board was better off without you.

Geez, RK- it's Christmas, buddy! How about a little less venom- even toward our favourite dark cloud... :wink:

Mark'sBrokenFoot
12-15-2005, 05:27 AM
How about, "set-up man?"

I don't understand your point, because there hasn't been one yet. He's not a closer, and he was inconsistent as a starter. "down the road?"

Almost every reliever sees themselves as some great starter or closer. So, in the end...

:whocares

Cotts has had exactly 5 chances IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER to show what he can do as a starter. I justed watched Jon Garland suck for 5 YEARS and now he's a pretty good starter. Whether he was inconsistant or not in his 5 meager chances, he's pretty good now. He deserves to be a starter. Too bad for him that he's more valuable to us where he is, but sooner or later he should get his shot.

bobowhite
12-15-2005, 08:22 AM
The White Sox will not be trading for a center fielder this year. The job is Anderson's to lose in ST.

I have seen Anderson play on a regular basis at Charlotte and a) he'll make you forget Aaron Rowand and b) he blows Borchard away.

As for his offense, he'll be batting in the last third of the lineup until he adjusts to major league pitching, that will take awhile. But like Ozzie says, he is only concerned with the guy's defense this year.