PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces Vizcaino?

Madvora
12-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, we are now without Marte and Vizcaino and they're going to need to be replaced. The good thing is that this is like addition by subtraction (at least in Marte's case.) Vizcaino really picked it up in the secon half last year, but he was definitely the 2nd worst reliever we had out there.

So, it looks like the Sox are set to make another move. I'm guessing either Contreras or Garland will be gone and McCarthy will replace one of them in the rotation. The question is if that trade will be for someone like a centerfielder or Tejada as some rumors are saying.
I think it might be more beneficial to get a couple relievers for the value of either of those starters. If they don't, then where are we going to get replacements for Marte and Vizcaino from?

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Be patient

MERPER
12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Marte and Vizcaino were our 2 worst bullpen arms last year.... the back end of the pen is set with Politte, Hermanson, Cotts and Jenks... if we don't get rid of a starter of our 6 we will put one in the pen... with our current rotation, their might not be much work for the bullpen anywayz....

Besides, relievers are a dime a dozen when they aren't big name closers or setup man and in this case they won't be...

Also, don't forget about Jeff Bajenaru and maybe another youngster from the minors.. like Tracy

Madvora
12-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Marte and Vizcaino were our 2 worst bullpen arms last year.... the back end of the pen is set with Politte, Hermanson, Cotts and Jenks... if we don't get rid of a starter of our 6 we will put one in the pen... with our current rotation, their might not be much work for the bullpen anywayz....

Besides, relievers are a dime a dozen when they aren't big name closers or setup man and in this case they won't be...

Also, don't forget about Jeff Bajenaru and maybe another youngster from the minors.. like Tracy
I guess you're right. The back end (the important end) is already there and set. However, we'll see what Hermanson's condition is. I hope he's back and healthy. I felt bad for him pretty much losing his job last year. I like the guy.
Anyway, we could probably pick up a couple of early relievers or long relievers for not much of a problem, or the minor leagues could provide that need.

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Similar to my Marte poll last week, who replaces Vizcaino?

Whitesox4ever
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
I would like to see KW sign Julian Tavarez to replace Viz

Lip Man 1
12-14-2005, 10:12 AM
McCarthy opens the season in the pen. Williams goes out and gets another left hander and potentially adds still another right hander due to Hermanson's back.

I do agree though that trying to get by with a young Cotts, a still green Jenks, Politte and an iffy Hermanson is running a major risk.

Lip

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Bajaneru

kevingrt
12-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Taverez or someone from outside the organization. I think Kenny could also probably trade for someone in a package deal with either of our starters. I cannot see us going into the year with all six of these starters.

SoxOnTop
12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
McCarthy opens the season in the pen. Williams goes out and gets another left hander and potentially adds still another right hander due to Hermanson's back.

I do agree though that trying to get by with a young Cotts, a still green Jenks, Politte and an iffy Hermanson is running a major risk.

Lip

I agree. While many seem to be happy to let Vizciano go, I'm not so sure. When the worst arm in your bullpen has a 3.77 ERA you are doing just fine.

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:29 AM
The only thing I have against Tavarez or someone else outside the organization is salary. If we get another top guy for 1 of our pitchers I can't imagine we will have the finances to get a FA right hander. Plus Bajaneru is supposedly really dominant. Add in there he is cheap, I think he is the perfect fit.

The Wall
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
How we forget Jon Adkins so easily is a mystery to me :rolleyes:

Law11
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
It doesnt matter. With our starters our bullpen will only need to be used in the 9th... Now I'm going to enjoy some more Kool-aid...

Ol' No. 2
12-14-2005, 10:34 AM
They could just put the ball on a tee.

The Deacon
12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
as of right now... Brandon McCarthy will probably be replacing Viz.

Dan Mega
12-14-2005, 10:43 AM
For the love of all that is holy, not Adkins!

Malgar 12
12-14-2005, 10:46 AM
How we forget Jon Adkins so easily is a mystery to me :rolleyes: Only a matter of time till the teal police sniff you down!

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Anyone but Adkins!

kevingrt
12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Be patient, one of the top Jedi virtues is patience.

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Anyone but Adkins!
I feel ya on that. Just when I make these replacement polls I like the 2 in house, 2 out house and other. Besides Bajaneru I couldn't think of anyone else.

voodoochile
12-14-2005, 10:56 AM

Politte, Hermanson, Cotts and Jenks are a great way to start the bullpen. Hermanson probably won't wear down as much because he won't be forced to pitch 2-3 consecutive days, 2 times a week with high pressure situations forcing him to go all out. They realistically need one more reliever from the majors hopefully a leftie and then they can fill the final slot with a minor leaguer coming up for experience.

If push comes to shove, a relief pitcher can be had from KC or a similarly completely hopeless team as early as May for a few low level prospects. That's just the nature of the market.

voodoochile
12-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Lip

Cotts has been in the majors for 3 years now off and on and spent all of last season on the team and did great especially against LHH.

Politte is simply a stud setup man.

Hermanson should be able to stay fresher and not as injury prone because he won't be pitching as often.

Jenks is simply a madman and Hermanson and really the other two can both be given opportunities to close games when the situation calls for it.

zach23
12-14-2005, 11:16 AM

Yeah, there are six starters and only five are needed. McCarthy will probably be in the bullpen and will also be insurance if any of the other five get hurt or don't perform well. It is a nice luxury to have someone like McCarthy in the pen. If a starter has a bad outing you can throw him in there to eat up a bunch of innings and save the rest of the pen. If there is a double header because of rain outs you can start him to save the other arms. I don't think any other team in baseball has this kind of luxury.
They really only need a lefty to replace Marte now.

California Sox
12-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Lip

I disagree. McCarthy is not well-suited emotionally/preparation-wise to be a reliever and he's too valuable a chip to burn one of his arb-free years in mop up duty. I despair at this thought, but I believe KW's going to deal him too.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Wall:

Jon Adkins is the right handed version of KEVIN WALKER.

Voodoo:

I'm not disagreeing except for the fact that four guys, one of whom is a rookie still and one of whom has an 'iffy' back simply isn't enough to get through the season. Williams needs more bullpen arms and I've confident he'll go out and get them without having to resort to dregs like Adkins, Walker etc... Remember Ozzie has been known to burn through a bullpen during a game. You can't have four guys and two new 'rookies.' You'll get burned.

California:

Unless a deal is made moving a starting pitcher McCarthy, emotionally ready or not is headed to the bullpen. I just don't think the Sox are going to force feed him back down to Triple A. There are simply no other options (for the moment...:cool: )

Lip

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with Lip....BMac will be in the pen taking the spot that Viz had. I also think he will do a fine job.

mjharrison72
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
My thoughts exactly.

StockdaleForVeep
12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Well, we are now without Marte and Vizcaino and they're going to need to be replaced. The good thing is that this is like addition by subtraction (at least in Marte's case.) Vizcaino really picked it up in the secon half last year, but he was definitely the 2nd worst reliever we had out there.

So, it looks like the Sox are set to make another move. I'm guessing either Contreras or Garland will be gone and McCarthy will replace one of them in the rotation. The question is if that trade will be for someone like a centerfielder or Tejada as some rumors are saying.
I think it might be more beneficial to get a couple relievers for the value of either of those starters. If they don't, then where are we going to get replacements for Marte and Vizcaino from?

Viz also had the most innings out of our pen too. If you wanna talk numbers, he had better numbers than hernandez

Fake Chet Lemon
12-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't understand all the people here who want to put McCarthy in the pen. I just don't find that acceptable. He needs to start somehow. I'd rather go 6-man (yuck) than put him in the pen, especially if we have a couple of arms in this stupid world baseball thing anyway.

StockdaleForVeep
12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't understand all the people here who want to put McCarthy in the pen. I just don't find that acceptable. He needs to start somehow. I'd rather go 6-man (yuck) than put him in the pen, especially if we have a couple of arms in this stupid world baseball thing anyway.

I say let him work in AAA till we suffer a starter injury::knock on wood::

mweflen
12-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Why is everyone forgetting about Adkins? He showed lots of promise in 04 - lots more than Bajenaru.

Ol' No. 2
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Please, God, make it Other.

HomeFish
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
As far as I'm concerned we have two holes in the bullpen:

1) The hole left by Damaso Marte
2) The hole left by Dustin Hermanson

The third hole, left by Luis Vizcaino, should be filled with BMac. So Kenny needs to find two relievers; one preferably left-handed. Given that Hermanson may or may not recover from his back problems, that replacement would best come from the minor leagues. Adkins?

TheVulture
12-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I disagree. McCarthy is not well-suited emotionally/preparation-wise to be a reliever and he's too valuable a chip to burn one of his arb-free years in mop up duty. I despair at this thought, but I believe KW's going to deal him too.

There is no way McCarthy gets dealt with both Contreras and Garland up for FA next year and the next best(to my knowledge)pitching prospect already gone. My money's on Garland getting dealt.

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 03:40 PM
As far as I'm concerned we have two holes in the bullpen:

1) The hole left by Damaso Marte
2) The hole left by Dustin Hermanson

The third hole, left by Luis Vizcaino, should be filled with BMac. So Kenny needs to find two relievers; one preferably left-handed. Given that Hermanson may or may not recover from his back problems, that replacement would best come from the minor leagues. Adkins?

Where did Hermanson go?

You want BMac to take over for Vizcaino? You want a prized stud prospect like that to do mopup?

Adkins? :puking:

HomeFish
12-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Where did Hermanson go?

You want BMac to take over for Vizcaino? You want a prized stud prospect like that to do mopup?

Hermanson has an injured back that I doubt he can play through a second year. I want BMac to pitch long relief, not mopup.

santo=dorf
12-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Give a spot to Baj, get a reliever or 2 by trading Garland.

Jenks
Politte
Cotts
Hermanson
BP guy #1
BP guy #2 or Baj

34 Inch Stick
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
If the post Mackowiak acquisition is true there are three relief spots to fill even if Hermanson is in good shape. The spots are Marte, Vizcaino and a 12th pitcher because Mackowiak renders the extra position player unnecessary. On the other hand we can make up money by only having 24 on the ML roster.

By the way Julian Tavarez is crazier than a ****house rat.

KRS1
12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
If the post Mackowiak acquisition is true there are three relief spots to fill even if Hermanson is in good shape. The spots are Marte, Vizcaino and a 12th pitcher because Mackowiak renders the extra position player unnecessary. On the other hand we can make up money by only having 24 on the ML roster.

By the way Julian Tavarez is crazier than a ****house rat.

I woulda gone with the phrase, he's nuttier than squirrel turds, but hey youre def. right about that.

Troupis
12-14-2005, 05:01 PM
ESPN INsider has the White Sox on a short list (seven teams) rumored to have interest in Danys Baez. He has saved 71 games over the course of the past two years, even with the Devil Rays.

That would shake this topic up a bit.

Palehose13
12-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Jim Mecir or Al Reyes

Britt Burns
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Bring back the frisbee! Let's see how much ground our outfielders can cover!

KRS1
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Alright my first arrest!!!

:tealpolice: Bring back the frisbee! Let's see how much ground our outfielders can cover!

Jjav829
12-14-2005, 07:55 PM
From Bob Nightengale:

They still have six starting pitchers and plan to trade one for bullpen help before the beginning of the 2006 season.

Uhh, that better be one hell of a reliever we are getting in return if we are trading Garland or Contreras away for him.

Ol' No. 2
12-14-2005, 08:00 PM
From Bob Nightengale:

Uhh, that better be one hell of a reliever we are getting in return if we are trading Garland or Contreras away for him.Garland's value will probably never be higher. They could get a very good reliever plus a pretty good prospect in return. And if it's a prospect in an area where the Sox don't really have much, it works out pretty well, since they were logjammed at OF anyway.

I don't think you can predict what they'll get for Garland. Kenny is sitting back listening to offers, of which I'm sure there are many.

rowand33
12-14-2005, 08:54 PM
BMac.

I want to keep the rotation at Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez.

I realize that it would be nice to get value for Garland, but let's try to win the World Series next season and worry about 2007 in a year.

I'm sure any big free agent would love coming to the two time world champion white sox.

As far as free agents are concerned, Al Reyes maybe. I'd kill for Tavarez.

Maybe Chris Hammond for the lefty, but he's old.

KRS1
12-14-2005, 08:58 PM
BMac.

I want to keep the rotation at Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Garland-Vazquez.

I realize that it would be nice to get value for Garland, but let's try to win the World Series next season and worry about 2007 in a year.

I'm sure any big free agent would love coming to the two time world champion white sox.

As far as free agents are concerned, Al Reyes maybe. I'd kill for Tavarez.

Maybe Chris Hammond for the lefty, but he's old.

He wouldnt be worth a night in municipal.

soxinem1
12-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Reyes is having TJ surgery (or had) and won't be around until 2007.

KW loves rehabs, how about Octavio Dotel? He'd be ready by June.

Rudy Seanez seems like a guy that could really be intriguing

Hammond is not a bad choice, but he does throw cotton balls.

Shigetoshi Hasegawa, Jeff Nelson, Paul Quantrill, Doug Brocail, and Dan Graves are some of the names out there.

Darren Dreifort could be had for less than his last contract!

soxfanreggie
12-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I was just about to say Dotel, but I could see Baj starting the season. If he pitches well enough, the spot is his...or he could remain on until we picked up Dotel.

The things I wonder about the most...will Vazquez pitch a lot better when he is here (15-16+) wins for us and can BMac pitch like he did at the end of the season. If both those are true, I would get the most out of what you can for Garland. I don't know if the Sox were given any indication of what JG's thoughts are on staying with this team. If he wants a long term contract with more money, that's a different story than if he just doesn't want to stick around. If he indicates that he wants to be a White Sox player just more money, I'd explore that. I just don't want him to sign a year deal and then leave without us being able to get anything for him.

soxinem1
12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Dan Kolb, especially after the Brewers non-tendered him.

Wade Miller also has some interest. he may not have it as a starter anymore, but I've watched him pitch some good games in the past, he can be a great low-risk addition.

wassagstdu
12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
. And if it's a prospect in an area where the Sox don't really have much, it works out pretty well, since they were logjammed at OF anyway.

Interesting. I had trouble thinking of an area where we "don't have much," now that I have become a Joe Crede fan. Even so, though, I still think Crede will be outa here as soon Boras can do it (2007). So third base is where we need a prospect.

Stoky44
12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Should have, could have been "F to the dizzy"!