PDA

View Full Version : Just throwin this out there

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
With the rumor of the Tejada/ Bmac deal lets say that doesn't happen. Could Kenny go into next season with a 6 man rotation for the sole purpose of Mark and Freddy pitching in the WBC. Then come July when you got teams searching for pitching for a playoff push you could deal Contreras or Garland pending on value at the time and willingness to resign following the season?

kevin57
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Intriguing take, but I doubt it.

Given Kenny's terse comments re: Garland this morning. I think he'll deal him if JG doesn't sign an extension. Even if he does, look for Contreras to be on the market. They'll keep BMac, IMO, because like Anderson, they're looking to develop young talent as they keep some vets around (e.g., Konerko, Thome).

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Given Kenny's terse comments re: Garland this morning. I think he'll deal him if JG doesn't sign an extension. Even if he does, look for Contreras to be on the market. They'll keep BMac, IMO, because like Anderson, they're looking to develop young talent as they keep some vets around (e.g., Konerko, Thome).
Now what did Kenny say about Garland?

itsnotrequired
12-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Now what did Kenny say about Garland?

From today's Tribune article:

Such a deal comes several hours after Sox general manager Ken Williams expressed his concern over the high prices paid for free-agent pitchers and his worries over whether Jose Contreras and Jon Garland would accept extensions that would preclude their free agency after the 2006 season.

"They'll know when it's time to get serious," Williams said of discussions on an extension past 2006.

Before a reporter could finish asking a question, Williams added: "And by the way, it's time for them to get serious."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0512140235dec14,1,2148869.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Scotty347
12-14-2005, 10:41 AM
What better way is there to get your pitchers to sign an extension than to threaten to send them to Baltimore if they don't sign! :D:

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
From today's Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0512140235dec14,1,2148869.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed
Whats troublesome there is it was directed at Contreras as well. I do like the hardass your either with or against us approach by Kenny though.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Whats troublesome there is it was directed at Contreras as well. I do like the hardass your either with or against us approach by Kenny though.

I see Contreras signing a long term deal before Garland. Contreras needs to recognize that he isn't getting any younger and seems to be a good fit with the Sox.

Garland, on the other hand, can hold out for next year and get the ridiculous free agent money that teams are dishing out for starting pitchers.

alohafri
12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a better idea...Garland/Uribe for Tejada.

MERPER
12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Kenny now holds all the cards and he believes Chicago is a place you should want to be... either Garland and Contreras WANT to be part of the White Sox organization or they don't... we can move on without them now!!!

As for Tejada, you can't pass up a top-10 player in baseball and the best SS if the price is right... make it happen KW!!!

As for your question though, you can absolutely go into the season with a 6-man rotation.. as a matter of fact, with the amount of innings our pitchers threw last season and the way they looked during the playoffs with extended periods of rest.. I think it could flourish..

Each pitcher would get 25 starts and each on extra rest which could work wonders for their arm strength and competitive drive... it's very possible each of the 6 could win 15+ games making for at least a 100 win season!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

patbooyah
12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
With the rumor of the Tejada/ Bmac deal lets say that doesn't happen. Could Kenny go into next season with a 6 man rotation for the sole purpose of Mark and Freddy pitching in the WBC. Then come July when you got teams searching for pitching for a playoff push you could deal Contreras or Garland pending on value at the time and willingness to resign following the season?

sure, steal my idea from the big thread and make your own thread! :cool:

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 11:14 AM
sure, steal my idea from the big thread and make your own thread! :cool:
I'm sorry I didn't even see that. The thread was started because a buddy of mine proposed the same question to me, and I thought it would be good for WSI.

Lip Man 1
It appears based on comments in today's Tribune that barring a deal involving Garland or Contreras, McCarthy is in the bullpen.

Lip

patbooyah
I'm sorry I didn't even see that. The thread was started because a buddy of mine proposed the same question to me, and I thought it would be good for WSI.

i keed! i keed!

DaleJRFan
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I can imagine KW saying msomething to Garland along the lines of... "Jon, if you don't sign this 3 year, 24 million dollar contract, I am going to trade you to Tampa Bay. Sign it."

:redneck

HomeFish
12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't understand why KW would publically call out two of our best pitchers. Does he want them to not play hard this season?

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 01:26 PM
I can imagine KW saying msomething to Garland along the lines of... "Jon, if you don't sign this 3 year, 24 million dollar contract, I am going to trade you to Tampa Bay. Sign it."

:redneck

Let's do it. Anderson and Garland for Carl Crawford, which means Chris Young (CF) was also expendable.

We give the Rays a much needed arm, a fine CF prospect and we get a locked-up and very affordable potential superstar who hit over .300 last year with 15 dingers and 46 stolen bases.

I have wanted Crawford since fellow Sox fans brought the name up, but couldn't see any deals that made sense...With our future CF prospect being dealt, another arm being added, it seems like to me that makes a deal for CC possible.

Can KW swing that?

bobowhite
12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
It appears based on comments in today's Tribune that barring a deal involving Garland or Contreras, McCarthy is in the bullpen.

Lip

I think McCarthy is insurance in case of injury/ tired arms. The White Sox only used six starting pitchers all of last year and the only regular who went down has been traded.

KW is now in a position of strength.

Contreras does have to show me that his head is on straight and that the last half season wasn't a fluke. If he's as solid in 2006 as he was after the All-Star break then I have no problems signing him long term. Garland was the other way. Can he turn things back to how he started 2005? If he really wants to bolt then there is very little the Sox can do, apart from trading him.

Apart from a lefty relief guy (probably within the Sox org now) I don't see much in the way of changes. Certainly not a trade for a CF or Tejada.