PDA

View Full Version : Effect of El Duque on Contreras

ChicagoHoosier
12-14-2005, 09:04 AM
With El Duque leaving the team, what do you think will be the effect on Contreras? Lots of people believed that Jose pitched better this year due to El Duque's presence and influence. Do you feel that Contreras will lose anything with the departure of his mentor, countryman, and friend? Or do you feel he's now over the hump and will be able to maintain the level he performed at the 2nd half of the 05 season?

Max Power
12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw we traded El Duque. I actually think Contreras is over the hump though. I mean to have that kind of success, especially in the playoffs, has to give him all kinds of confidence. There's still a lot of Latin players on the team, so JC should still feel somewhat at home.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
With El Duque leaving the team, what do you think will be the effect on Contreras? Lots of people believed that Jose pitched better this year due to El Duque's presence and influence. Do you feel that Contreras will lose anything with the departure of his mentor, countryman, and friend? Or do you feel he's now over the hump and will be able to maintain the level he performed at the 2nd half of the 05 season?

I'd like to think he's over the hump. Ozzie showed a lot of faith in him by having him start the playoff series, not to mention letting him pitch so deep into the games. He seems to get along with everyone as well.

He'll be fine...

Rocky Soprano
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Contreras is a big boy. He shouldn't need El Duque to hold his hand.

With the second half Contreras had, he should no longer have any doubts that he has great stuff and can dominate. Not it's all up to him.

elrod
12-14-2005, 09:25 AM
I think El Duque's effect on Contreras is a little inflated. A bigger factor for Contreras was getting his family out of Cuba and to Chicago. Once that happened, his mind was clear and he started pitching better. El Duque was more important as the stud stopper we saw in Boston, not as a Cuban mentor for Contreras. Also, Ozzie Guillen has made Contreras feel very welcome in the clubhouse - both as a fellow Latino and as a ballplayer. Frankly, I doubt there are many teams in the big leagues where Latinos would want to play more than on the White Sox.

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Don't forget that Ozzie speaks the lingo.

SoxSideIrish
12-14-2005, 10:14 AM
So, now that El Duque has been shipped out...how does this affect Contreras? Wasn't Hernandez a mentor of sorts for JC? I don't know if theres any truth to it, but people claim that a big reason for JC's coming around was due to El Duque. They had the whole "Cuban Connection" going on.

I guess my question is, does this trade negatively affect Contreras? (Assuming he's still around come spring training.)

itsnotrequired
12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63744

MINFAN1
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM

I noticed this a lot this year. But, as the season progressed, he seemed to be much more relaxed. I think Ozzie made the difference. And thats true with all the players. espicially Latino`s.

ewokpelts
12-14-2005, 10:56 AM
He's a professional. If he still needs a mentor after what's he's accomplished in 2005, then we dont need him.
Gene

duke of dorwood
12-14-2005, 11:09 AM
It will not help.

skobabe8
12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I was worried at first, but now I think he'll be fine. Awesome second half/playoffs, soaring confidence, loved now in Chicago unlike New York, Ozzie, latino influence in clubhouse.

He'll be allright.

HawkISox
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
If McCarthy does not get traded in a Tejada trade, Contreras could be dealt for relief pitching. Lets not forget...the guy is 40ish....

gowhitesox
12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't think the El Duque trade will have any effect on Jose Contreras as was stated earlier, he's a big boy. I am confident he will pitch as good as ever. As long as we don't trade any starting pitchers.

miker
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
As much as some of you have dismissed it, I think there is a possibility it will have an effect.

First of all, to expect Contreras to be as dominating as he was in the second half is quite unrealistic, especially over an entire season. Whether or not he falls apart completely or becomes a head case like Marte will depend on himself and any motivational tricks Ozzie has up his sleeve.

With this trade, I hope Vasquez is as good as promised and that Contreras doesn't miss El Duque too much.

BTW, thanks El Duque for that inning in Boston. Enjoy the dry heat!

Exit_Only
12-14-2005, 06:50 PM

To replace the kinship and hijinks of the El Duque/Jose Contreras relationship, I heard KW wants to sign a pitcher named Jose Paniagua, a composed veteran who used to play with Contreras in Cuba. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure where I've heard it before. The article said Paniagua can be an emotional steadying force for Contreras, a sort of amigo who can guide his compatriot through the inevitable highs and low of the MLB season.

bobowhite
12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I think that El Duque had nothing but a positive effect on Contreras. I also think that Contreras really needed the help but should be over the hump. He finally lived up to expectations and was our best starting pitcher of the second half, IMHO.

The Sox obviously also think he'll be fine or else they wouldn't have traded El Duque.

Walkman
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
To replace the kinship and hijinks of the El Duque/Jose Contreras relationship, I heard KW wants to sign a pitcher named Jose Paniagua, a composed veteran who used to play with Contreras in Cuba. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure where I've heard it before. The article said Paniagua can be an emotional steadying force for Contreras, a sort of amigo who can guide his compatriot through the inevitable highs and low of the MLB season.

teal police should have been here by now

ChiSoxLifer
12-14-2005, 08:06 PM

I think Duque's effect is overblown. They were together on the Yanks when Jose wasn't all that great.