PDA

View Full Version : El Duque Appreciation Thread

kevin57
12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
"El," your performance in the playoffs will be a part of Sox legendom forever. Good luck...except against the Sox.

getonbckthr
12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Duke, I wanted you on the Southside for years. For me it was only fitting that the year you came to town was the year we won it. Good luck in Arizona, kick Shawn Green in the nuts for me, take a swim in Right-Center and be sure to light up a Cuban.

JorgeFabregas
12-14-2005, 10:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jorgefabregas/SOX_ElDuque.jpg
'nuff said.

1951Campbell
12-14-2005, 10:17 AM
You, sir, are a legend.

Madvora
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
'nuff said.
What the hell is that?
EDIT - nevermind, I found it on the Sox site, but is there a copy out there that you can actually read?

BeviBall!
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
"Hocus Pocus! There's Hernandez!"

CHIsoxNation
12-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks, El Duque. You did everything that was asked of you when Kenny brought you over and you were everything the sox and city expected.

JorgeFabregas
12-14-2005, 10:27 AM
What the hell is that?
EDIT - nevermind, I found it on the Sox site, but is there a copy out there that you can actually read?

If you zoom in on this one you should be able to read it: http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/campaigns/y2005/print/sequence_1718x377.jpg

D. TODD
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Boston - Game 3 - enough to always be a great part of White Sox history. Good luck in 'zona.

Madvora
12-14-2005, 10:30 AM
If you zoom in on this one you should be able to read it: http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/campaigns/y2005/print/sequence_1718x377.jpg
Wow, thanks a lot for posting that. It almost brings a tear to my eye.
Games start replaying this Sunday!!!

FoulkeFan
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Duque, you rock. I'm going to miss you. I'll never forget seeing you at the parade - cigar in your mouth, waving to everyone! You're a legend here now.

Fenway
12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
History shows Chicago swept Boston 3-0

But if El Duque doesn't have that 6th inning in Game 3 , the ALDS and the entire playoffs may have had a different result.

Boston - Bottom of 6th
Freddy Garcia pitching for Chicago
M Ramirez homered to left.
D Marte relieved F Garcia.
T Nixon singled to right.
B Mueller walked, T Nixon to second.
J Olerud walked, T Nixon to third, B Mueller to second.
J Varitek hit for D Mirabelli.
O Hernandez relieved D Marte.
J Varitek popped out to first.
T Graffanino popped out to shortstop.
J Damon struck out swinging.
1 Runs, 2 Hits, 0 Errors, 3 Left on Base

santo=dorf
12-14-2005, 10:45 AM
What the hell is that?
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/sequence_1718x377.jpg

:hawk
"stretch!"

SoxFan78
12-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Game 3
Bottom of Sixth
Bases Loaded
No Outs

El Duque pulls out a Miracle.

Sox Fans will never forget you El Duque!

akingamongstmen
12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Thank you, Duque. The sixth inning of Game 3 of the ALDS will live on forever in legend. Easily one of the most incredible, unlikely pitching performances of all time. This one's for you! :gulp:

Crede_Fan
12-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Thank You Duque! You made that the most memorable Friday night! Enjoy the weather in 'Zona!

gowhitesox
12-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks El Duque, the way you pitched in the postseason will forever be part of White Sox lore. Thank you for helping the White Sox become World Champions.

cheeses_h_rice
12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
El Duque, you earned your entire 2005 pay on October 7. I salute you, good sir.

:gulp:

Madvora
12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I saw the Duke's first start for the Sox in Minnesota on April 8th.
Sox won 5-1. Duke went 7 innings, gave up 6 hits, 1 earned run, no walks and 5 strike outs.
Pretty good performance.

spawn
12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your contributions this year Duque. You were HUGE, and a very important piece of our World Championship puzzle.

hawkeyesox17
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Duque, I will always remember while watching that 6th inning of game 3 of the ALDS, on that last strike to Damon, yelling at the screen at the bar, "HE WENT!!! HE ****ing WENT!!" One of the best moments of the playoffs. Thank you.

Cat Thief
12-14-2005, 11:07 AM

But if El Duque doesn't have that 6th inning in Game 3 , the ALDS and the entire playoffs may have had a different result.

If that series goes 2-1, we may have not had such a happy ending. I will never forget that clutch performance. I also believe it had nothing to do with miracles or luck. Clutch performance from a man who had been there before.

Thanks El Duque!

IlliniSox4Life
12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
EL Duque,
Your are a true champion, and will always be loved by White Sox fans. Best of luck.

Fenway
12-14-2005, 11:26 AM
If that series goes 2-1, we may have not had such a happy ending. I will never forget that clutch performance. I also believe it had nothing to do with miracles or luck. Clutch performance from a man who had been there before.

Thanks El Duque!

It was huge for another reason. I am not sure when Game 4 could have been played because it rained in Boston for a week starting that Friday night. But thanks to El Duque, the White Sox didn't have to face Schilling and a rested David Wells.

But the man has ice water in his veins. Bases loaded, no outs at Fenway is childs play compared to escaping on a raft.

To El Duque

kevingrt
12-14-2005, 11:27 AM
"Hocus Pocus says HERNANDEZ"

Good bye El Duque and good bye Rooney. Gracias mucho... much thanks

Pasqua's Posers
12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Boston - Game 3 - enough to always be a great part of White Sox history. Good luck in 'zona.

ICE in his veins.....

Here's to you El Duque-you drove me mad at times, but you stepped it up when it mattered most.

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Shortest appreciation thread yet.

The Dude
12-14-2005, 11:51 AM
El Duque, you had a decent 1st half....got hurt(expected)...had a ****ty ass second half...got hurt. Playoffs you obviously were a stud(expected).

Now you allow us to bolster our rotation. Duque, thanks for being a part of 2005 WS championship and good luck in AZ.:cool:

asindc
12-14-2005, 12:00 PM
El Duque, you had a decent 1st half....got hurt(expected)...had a ****ty ass second half...got hurt. Playoffs you obviously were a stud(expected).

Now you allow us to bolster our rotation. Duque, thanks for being a part of 2005 WS championship and good luck in AZ.:cool:

To be fair, we all knew that he was being preserved just for the postseason, and just for the type of moments (don't forget WS game 3) that he came up huge in.

Viva El Duque!!:gulp:

BNLSox
12-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Honestly, thinking back on it, that performance in game 3 was the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a baseball field.

I know we no longer had a starting role for you Duque, so I'm glad you get to get back into the rotation with the snakes.

But man, thank you dearly for game 3. Not only did that performance change that game's outcome (most likely), I think it set the tone for pitching for the remainder of the post season and showed everyone that our team was the one to be afraid of!

Palehose13
12-14-2005, 12:05 PM
El Duque your magic in Game 3 of the ALDS will never be forgotten. Thank you for helping to bring a championship to the southside of Chicago. Good luck to you in the future.

skobabe8
12-14-2005, 12:07 PM
"Hocus Pocus! There's Hernandez!"

I think it was "Hocus Pocus says Hernandez!" :smile:

duke of dorwood
12-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Best in big games-tough under pressure-a class act-unforgettable-hope you had fun here.

Jjav829
12-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks, El Duque. You didn't always have the best stuff or the best control, but you made up for it with pitching smarts. As I said at the end of the season, you just watch El Duque work and you get an appreciation for what it means to pitch. Every pitcher should have a chance to understand pitching like El Duque does. He may have thrown a lot of them, but El Duque always had a lot of balls.

StockdaleForVeep
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
This man needs statues erected of him for his performance in Boston which showed us the stars were aligned for us and broke the backs of boston.

areilly
12-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Game 3 was the single greatest clutch performance I may ever see in my lifetime. BUT...

I remember a Monday night game in April against the Twins. Duque started and went six innings. He gave up ten hits but despite that the Twins only scored once; the whole course of the game, he would let runners on and then get better as the situation got worse, almost as if he was toying with the Twinkies. As if he were choosing the guys he wanted to embarass.

"You, you get a hit, I want to take down THAT guy instead."

Bases empty and he was a wreck. Bases loaded and the Twinkies didn't have a chance. I remember telling one of my friends on that April night "this guy's totally insane."

And then "now I see why they wanted him."

ShoelessJoeS
12-14-2005, 02:06 PM
El Duque, I knew you were brought here to pitch in the playoffs as your reputation was nothing but legendary. Your performance in Game 3 of the ALDS will forever be remembered by millions of Sox fans as legendary indeed.

dividedsk717
12-14-2005, 02:17 PM
:worship: :elduque:

Thanks for Game 3!!! (and everything else)

SoxSpeed22
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
El Duque set the tone for this season, when we went into the Hump Dome, and beat the Twins 5-1, he keeps them down for 7 innings. That showed that we were ready to take the division from them. I think enough was said about game 3 against Boston. turning Contreras around was another important thing by telling him to use his 3-quarters release. As a result of all of those, we win the whole thing.
Thanks Duque!:cheers:
:worship::worship::worship::elduque:

JGarlandrules20
12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I will never forget El Duque and his crucial role in the 2005 season. From his first amazing start against the Twins to his performance in game three of the ALDS. Getting out of a bases loaded jam against the best hitting team in baseball? INHUMAN!

I loved watching him pitch. His crazy delievery was soo cool. That will be missed.

Best of luck to him the rest of his career!!!

FedEx227
12-14-2005, 02:56 PM
You'll always be remember in White Sox lore, Duke.

I saw about 6 of your starts this year and yes I went to 9 games, just my luck I guess?

Some were good, some were bad, but it didn't matter, you got it done when we needed you most and you bolstered your already great reputation as one of, if not THE best big game pitcher in the 90s-00s. You will be missed, have fun in Arizona.

TheVulture
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM

I agree. To me, El Duque's performance that night was THE pivotal moment of the entire post season for the Sox. After that game, I never felt the sox were going to lose. Here's to you, El Duque, thanks for shutting down the team with the fans that fill my heart with bile and turn my stomach more than any other in the AL.

DenverSock
12-14-2005, 03:14 PM
To El Duque who leaves a great hero not just to the Sox and their fans, but to people everywhere contemplating the risks of an adventure to breathe free, Vaya con dios y con suerte.

swanson24
12-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Thank you El Duque for your performance on the field, Game 3 in Boston was unbelievable) but also for your ability to help out Jose Contreras who matured a lot during the 2005 season. He was arguably the most dominant pitcher after the All Star Break. Good luck in Arizona, you earned your ring in Chicago!

mccoydp
12-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Game 3. Boston. No more needs to be said.

Thanks for your many contributions this past year, and best of luck with Arizona.

ChiSoxGirl
12-14-2005, 03:45 PM
To the mastermind behind the greatest half inning of White Sox baseball I can ever remember watching. Thanks for playing such a huge part in the first World Championship on the south side in 88 years! Sox fans everywhere will NEVER forget that magical 6th inning in Boston on 10.07.05. Here's to ya, El Duque! :gulp:

vegyrex
12-14-2005, 04:00 PM
I've always liked El Duque, even he was with the Yankees. His delivery style always seems cool to me. Thank you for everything!

TheDarkGundam
12-14-2005, 04:13 PM
El Duque, adios.

Está algo imprevisible
pero al fin es derecho
Espero usted tenían el tiempo de su vida!

palehozenychicty
12-14-2005, 04:40 PM
:gulp: El duque es magnifico! Game 3 in Beantown. Priceless. Much love to you.

Chisox003
12-14-2005, 04:42 PM
DA Duke!

JUribe1989
12-14-2005, 04:46 PM
You were arguably our best starter the first 2 months of the year. At least IMO you were up there. You were the stopper in Tampa when it looked like we might get swept. You pitched a shutout to complete a 2 game sweep of Minnesota. Boston...nuff said. But who could forget the way you pitched in the bottom of the 9th in Game 3 of the World Series. You made Morgan Ensberg wiff unbelievably. Thank you for everything El Duque. I am saddest to see you and Aaron leave.

:gulp:Good luck in 'Zona! It's your kinda of weather anyways. You won't have to pitch in our ****ty April weather EVER AGAIN! lol

gbergman
12-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Good luck and God speed El Duque. BTW when you come to San Diego dont beat on the Padres to bad. TY for that magical 6th in Boston

dpbyron
12-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Thank you El Duque for helping to make my trip to Fenway that beautiful October day one I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I've never in my life felt the air get sucked out of a crowd like when you dropped that wicked curve on Jawwwwny!!! :D:

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Don't forget that the Dbacks and the Sox share the same spring training facility, so he'll be around.

y2j2785
12-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I was so happy when I heard that we signed you and im sorry to see you gone, but anything can happen and now your gone. Thanks for the memories El Duque. :whiner:

MasQbellesa
12-14-2005, 06:30 PM
¡GRACIAS Orlando por el esfuerzo que nos mostraste día tras día! Los fanáticos de Chicago nunca te olvidaremos. Te deseamos mucha suerte en Arizona y donde quiera que el camino de la vida te lleve.

:gulp: Un chin de Brugal en tu honra!

HomeFish
12-14-2005, 06:36 PM
When I first started following baseball in the late 90's, you were by far my favorite player. I thought it was pretty neat when we had you for a few minutes during the 2002/2003 offseason...but it was really, really cool to see you come to the White Sox for real, and especially do so well.

Here's to the most self-confident pitcher I've ever seen. "Big Stones", as Hawk would say.

Vernam
12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
I believe El Duque's performance in the ALDS clincher was the springboard for everything that followed. Flat-out the most inspiring performance I've seen by a Sox pitcher since Britt Burns in the '83 ALCS, which is saying one hell of a lot, considering what our starting pitchers did to the Angels and Astros.

So thanks, Orlando. We'll never forget you. And I'll never forget you on top of that double-decker bus, stogie in one hand, and pointing at the Sox hat in your other hand, like you were as proud of it as any hat you've ever worn.

Vernam

Bobbo35
12-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I saw the Duke's first start for the Sox in Minnesota on April 8th.
Sox won 5-1. Duke went 7 innings, gave up 6 hits, 1 earned run, no walks and 5 strike outs.
Pretty good performance.

I was there too!

rookie
12-14-2005, 09:04 PM
El Duque, the inning you pitched againist Boston was my favorite playoff memory. It was the most awesome thing I had ever seen by one man.

And then seeing you smoke that cigar during the parade. You and Mark had the most character in that whole parade.

Thanks for the incredible talent, and thanks for loving the fans. You are part of history!

MadetoOrta
12-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Duque ... muchas garcias Amigo! Viva Cuba beisbol!

Seriously, shouldn't every former White Sox [including Blum] get a standing ovation from us when they next appear at the Cell?

flo-B-flo
12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
¡GRACIAS Orlando por el esfuerzo que nos mostraste día tras día! Los fanáticos de Chicago nunca te olvidaremos. Te deseamos mucha suerte en Arizona y donde quiera que el camino de la vida te lleve.

:gulp: Un chin de Brugal en tu honra! Beautifully expressed :smile:

Baby Fisk
12-14-2005, 10:17 PM

The greatest post-season 3 outs for the Sox. Ever. Period. After this inning, there was no stopping the White Sox. GRACIAS, EL DUQUE!

ElDuque26
12-14-2005, 11:26 PM
its only fitting that i post on this thread and say goodbye to the player i made my name around...im not going to change it...elduque got us out of round one and pitched a ballsy few innings of WS game three...thanks for the year and a ws crown!

FarWestChicago
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
its only fitting that i post on this thread and say goodbye to the player i made my name around...im not going to change it...elduque got us out of round one and pitched a ballsy few innings of WS game three...thanks for the year and a ws crown!You should NOT change your name. Wear it proudly. He's a Sox legend, a champion and a man's man. I will never, ever forget that performance in Boston. That just couldn't happen. If a script writer produced that he would be ripped for being schmaltzy. El Duque superceded fiction on that evening. The legend will never die. :thumbsup:

beckett21
12-15-2005, 12:51 AM
You should NOT change your name. Wear it proudly. He's a Sox legend, a champion and a man's man. I will never, ever forget that performance in Boston. That just couldn't happen. If a script writer produced that he would be ripped for being schmaltzy. El Duque superceded fiction on that evening. The legend will never die. :thumbsup:

Damn straight.

Gracias, Duque. :gulp:

Exit_Only
12-15-2005, 01:51 AM
"El," your performance in the playoffs will be a part of Sox legendom forever. Good luck...except against the Sox.

He may be 40-years-old, but his ability to sac up with me on base show why he walks a wheelbarrel between his legs.

Of course we will all remember his playoff performance against Boston, but let's not forget that he was doing the same things in the first half of the season. We were frustrated at the hits he'd give up, walking guys and not being efficient with his pitches, and then amazed and pumped at seeing him pitch out of his self-made jams.

There's something to be said about a man who consistently produces in the clutch, something that us lowly White Sox fans recognize but is stubbornly refuted by baseball mind Bill James. Perhaps if he wasn't so consumed with numbers on paper, he'd be able to learn something and find a little pleasure in the pitching that is El Duque.

MHOUSE
12-15-2005, 01:52 AM
I was driving while grabbing bits and pieces of the game on the radio when I could get it (leaving St. Louis I started to lose the station) while my brother text-messaged me updates.

Brother: Ramirez homers. Bases loaded no outs. Ozzie going to El Duque.
Me: (explicatives)
Brother: El Duque gets out of it! WOW. 4-3 Sox!

Amazing stuff! 'The Duke' will live on forever in White Sox legend, oral tradition, and all that jazz. You were everything we asked for all season and threw in a great memory to boot. Thanks!

100 Year Itch
12-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Orlando Hernandez -- a permanent member of the White Sox highlight reel.

Enjoy life buddy, until then there is always a prime steak and a drink waiting for you in Chicago.

Thanks for the memories...

Exit_Only
12-15-2005, 02:06 AM
'nuff said.

I have been physically stirred through various types of art, music and literature, but this pitching conquest elicited something I can't describe, but don't have to to this audience.

Exit_Only
12-15-2005, 02:09 AM

The greatest post-season 3 outs for the Sox. Ever. Period. After this inning, there was no stopping the White Sox. GRACIAS, EL DUQUE!

Two by Four better make this layout into a poster, similar to the one where Jordon is showing his wingspan.

doublem23
12-15-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm sure the rest of baseball will remember you as Yankee, and probably rightfully so, but here; you'll always be our #26.

Thanks for being the winner we needed you to be.

gogosox83
12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
El Duque you are a southside legend. You earned your entire paycheck for 05 in the the 6th inning of game 3 vs the bosox. You are a magician with a baseball my friend ......

ParisHilton'sDog
12-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Duke, I wanted you on the Southside for years. For me it was only fitting that the year you came to town was the year we won it. Good luck in Arizona, kick Shawn Green in the nuts for me, take a swim in Right-Center and be sure to light up a Cuban.I could not have said that better. I have a feeling he'll be back with the Sox before the end of the '06 season.

mweflen
12-22-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm confused. Is this the *official* appreciation thread, or just some sort of unauthorized offshoot?

kevin57
12-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm confused. Is this the *official* appreciation thread, or just some sort of unauthorized offshoot?

It's the only one I know of.

ShoelessJoeS
12-22-2005, 10:08 PM
It's the only one I know of.
Hook, line, and sinker!

DickAllen72
12-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Here's to "El Duque", a true hero and a legend in White Sox history! :gulp:

Thank you, El Duque, and best wishes to you in the future!