PDA

View Full Version : How overrated is Carl Everett

MattSharp
12-23-2001, 03:33 AM
I really thought at the end of '99 that this guy was the real deal. He isn't. The fact that he is such an ******* just makes me like him less. He did have an All-Star season in '00, but look beyond that. DISCLUDING that season.....

-He has never played more than 142 games in a season.
-Hes a career .278 hitter
-He had 104 Ks in 102 games in '01
-He only stole 9 bases in '01, his lowest since '96
-He only hit 15+ HRs twice in 9 seasons (what averages out to about 6 full seasons).
-Hes only had more than 100 RBI twice.

This guy is will be 31 before the AS break. By baseball standards that middle-aged. He isn't that player I once thought he was, and the BoSox were geniuses in dumping him.

kermittheefrog
12-23-2001, 08:27 AM
I think he's overrated too but his 1999 and 2000 seasons really were monster years. He's just not a guy who can keep doing that.

RedPinStripes
12-23-2001, 08:52 AM
I would never want anyone on my team that acts like everett unless they had ty cobb numbers or better. He is over rated.

kermittheefrog
12-23-2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I would never want anyone on my team that acts like everett unless they had ty cobb numbers or better. He is over rated.

At least he isn't Hal Chase or Dick Allen who ironically appears in your sig.

RedPinStripes
12-23-2001, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

At least he isn't Hal Chase or Dick Allen who ironically appears in your sig.

Dick allen might have been a big jagoff, but he is a legendary Sox player in the short time he played.

oldcomiskey
12-23-2001, 10:27 AM
Im wondering something here---and God knows how much I love Richard Anthony Allen--but he was an ass---kinda like an early Albert Belle---I have seen nobody make a case for Tom Seaver who had two good years here, won 300 games and as far as I know never bothered anyone exept umpires---I wish I could find a pic of Tom Terriffic in a Sox uni--that would be my tag

Tragg
12-23-2001, 01:34 PM
I can't think of a player who meant more to one team than Dick Allen did to the Sox in 1972, and, really, in 1973 (via his absence after the first 6 weeks).

oldcomiskey
12-23-2001, 02:10 PM
Ive often wondered what wouldve been had Allen and Melton been healthy at the same time

Daver
12-23-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I wish I could find a pic of Tom Terriffic in a Sox uni--that would be my tag

Have you asked PHG if he has one?

Might be worth a shot.

RichH55
12-24-2001, 05:45 AM
Easy Come, easy go....Didnt he come over from the Astros cheap and the Marlins cheap before that?

DimaAl888
12-24-2001, 07:24 AM
There are really two Carl Everrets: -

-one who hits umpires, misses 32% of the games, has an OPS of .761 (50 points lower than Ray's 2001 numbers!!!), steals only 9 bases and want over 12+ Mill a year

-a switch-hitter that can also play above-average CF, steal 20-25 bases, average about .920+ OPS (98-00 stats), would have about 120 RBIs (99-00 seasons prorated for 158 games) in the 3rd slot--before Thomas and Maggs and would only ask for 7-8 Mill.

If Angels get the sedond, healthy Everett, they are a better team.

<<<<<Durham is the worst leadoff guy in baseball>>>>

What makes you say that? Is it the fact that Ray, in his BAD year, was still better (OPS, SB, defense) than half of this league's STARTING Sbs EASILY? Or maybe it's because of his consecutive All-Star appearances? His attitude maybe? PLease explain your logic to me

<<<Konerko is the most underrated player in baseball>>>

Why? He bring NOTHING to the table (fielding, throwing, running) outside of hitting. And in case you only meant hitting (it's unfair to discount other aspects of the game, but it is your choice), he still doesn't rise far above mediocrity for his position. He has averaged an OPS of about .850--which is, I guess, slightlly above average for a first-baseman-DH, but below average for a clean-up hitter he was in 2001. Did I mention the fact that he is set to make 5 or 6 Mill in 2002? Maybe I am wrong there.
I personally think he will improve, but calling him the most underrated hitter in baseball is premature.

RichH55
12-24-2001, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by DimaAl888
There are really two Carl Everrets: -

-one who hits umpires, misses 32% of the games, has an OPS of .761 (50 points lower than Ray's 2001 numbers!!!), steals only 9 bases and want over 12+ Mill a year

-a switch-hitter that can also play above-average CF, steal 20-25 bases, average about .920+ OPS (98-00 stats), would have about 120 RBIs (99-00 seasons prorated for 158 games) in the 3rd slot--before Thomas and Maggs and would only ask for 7-8 Mill.

If Angels get the sedond, healthy Everett, they are a better team.

<<<<<Durham is the worst leadoff guy in baseball>>>>

What makes you say that? Is it the fact that Ray, in his BAD year, was still better (OPS, SB, defense) than half of this league's STARTING Sbs EASILY? Or maybe it's because of his consecutive All-Star appearances? His attitude maybe? PLease explain your logic to me

<<<Konerko is the most underrated player in baseball>>>

Why? He bring NOTHING to the table (fielding, throwing, running) outside of hitting. And in case you only meant hitting (it's unfair to discount other aspects of the game, but it is your choice), he still doesn't rise far above mediocrity for his position. He has averaged an OPS of about .850--which is, I guess, slightlly above average for a first-baseman-DH, but below average for a clean-up hitter he was in 2001. Did I mention the fact that he is set to make 5 or 6 Mill in 2002? Maybe I am wrong there.
I personally think he will improve, but calling him the most underrated hitter in baseball is premature.

Welcome abroad man....if you really want an argument talk bad about Singelton or Royce.....But you are right about the signature, I bet it will be dropped once the whole idea of a contract year clicks in Ray's head and he puts up better numbers....As it is I don't think Ray is the worst lead-off hitter/2B in the city of Chicago, let alone baseball