PDA

View Full Version : The Number 35

Professor
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I suspect the answer to this is obvious. But, nevertheless, I was wondering today if any player will be allowed to wear #35 until Big Hurt officially retires and the team retires his jersey number? Or will they "retire" it in anticipation of its official retirement?

It would be sacrilege if they allow anybody to wear it ever again other than Frank.

voodoochile
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
They will retire it the minute he signs with another team, IMO. They did it for Haaarold after trading him and he played another 12 seasons or something including a second stint with the Sox.

Baby Fisk
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
It's unlikely that another player would have the balls (read: disrespect) to request that number. If so, he'd quickly be set straight by the others.

batmanZoSo
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Only a Mike Mussina caliber player would even be considered for being allowed to wear 35, and even that's highly doubtful for so many reasons.

Tekijawa
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
It's unlikely that another player would have the balls (read: disrespect) to request that number. If so, he'd quickly be set straight by the others.

:weewillie

"Ozzie... I'd like to wear 35 next year."

NSSoxFan
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Only a Mike Mussina caliber player would even be considered for being allowed to wear 35, and even that's highly doubtful for so many reasons.

NOBODY will/should be considered for 35.

Jerko
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't know. BJ Armstrong wore a retired #10 for the Bulls, and MLB players still are wearing 42. I don't think anybody else should wear it, but who knows.

itsnotrequired
12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't know. BJ Armstrong wore a retired #10 for the Bulls, and MLB players still are wearing 42. I don't think anybody else should wear it, but who knows.

IIRC, the only players still sporting a 42 have been grandfathered. Once they retire, you'll never see it again.

voodoochile
12-13-2005, 01:08 PM

People who were already wearing 42 were allowed to continue wearing it. No one else will ever have it on their uniform if they entered the league after it was universally retired.

WestSox
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
:weewillie

"Ozzie... I'd like to wear 35 next year."

He'll be wearing it somewhere else next year.

Tekijawa
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
People who were already wearing 42 were allowed to continue wearing it. No one else will ever have it on their uniform if they entered the league after it was universally retired.

Same with BJ, he wore it before it was retired... IIRC Rodman wanted 10 when he came here, but it was retired by then so he took 91.

Chicken Dinner
12-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Borchard's looking for a number now that Thome is with the club.........Oh yeah, Borchard doesn't have a roster spot.

Jerko
12-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Same with BJ, he wore it before it was retired... IIRC Rodman wanted 10 when he came here, but it was retired by then so he took 91.

I messed up the Armstrong timeline. :redface: The point I so ineptly tried to make is this: I can see a future Sox player wearing #35 unless the Sox retire it immediately. If they wait till Frank retires (if it's not this upcoming season) I can see somebody else wearing it in the interim. I don't agree with that, but if they can allow grandfather clauses for a number that's ALREADY retired by MLB, there's nothing to stop a Sox player from wearing 35. I hope they just retire it now even though I thought it was silly to retire #3 while Baines was still playing.

cleanwsox
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Yah, I'm not a huge fan of retiring player numbers until they are officially retired. It's one thing when they come back (ala MJ) and the number is already retired, but to retire it when they are still playing is jumping the gun a little bit. Wait until they are out of the sport and then hold a nice ceremony with video montages and all that. I feel this would be definitely more memorable than doing it while he is still playing.

anewman35
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
The point I so ineptly tried to make is this: I can see a future Sox player wearing #35 unless the Sox retire it immediately. If they wait till Frank retires (if it's not this upcoming season) I can see somebody else wearing it in the interim. I don't agree with that, but if they can allow grandfather clauses for a number that's ALREADY retired by MLB, there's nothing to stop a Sox player from wearing 35.

Sure there is. The Sox can say "no". And I think they would, even if the number wasn't "officially" retired yet.

MisterB
12-13-2005, 03:26 PM

As it is I believe Mariano Rivera is the only player still wearing #42.

eriqjaffe
12-13-2005, 03:37 PM
They will retire it the minute he signs with another team, IMO. They did it for Haaarold after trading him and he played another 12 seasons or something including a second stint with the Sox.Technically, Harold's still wearing it.

Fenway
12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Sure there is. The Sox can say "no". And I think they would, even if the number wasn't "officially" retired yet.

Josh Beckett asked the Red Sox if he could keep his 21

They said no ( irony is Beckett wears 21 in honor of his childhood idol )

Nobody will ever wear #35 for the White Sox again that is a mortal lock

http://marlins.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/beckett.jpg

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/bosox/Clemens96.jpg

Exit_Only
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I believe bench coach Joe Nossek wore #23 after Robin left to ensure no player could wear it. He was holding it in case Robin ever came back.