PDA

View Full Version : BA article on Haeger

KRS1
12-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Good read, I had no idea Joey Cora was managing in the VWL.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/051212winterwonder.html

caulfield12
12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Good read, I had no idea Joey Cora was managing in the VWL.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/051212winterwonder.html

Haeger could turn out to the be the perfect young and affordable number five starter in the Tim Wakefield mode for us.

After 2007, itīs a crapshoot. You know McCarthy will be around, but we have no idea about Garcia or Buerhle.

Of course, KW has added to the rotation mostly through trades and FA pick-ups rather than minor league promotion.

Of the group of Broadway, Haeger, Honel, Tracey, Liotta, Lumsden and Malone, we will hopefully have two solid major leaguers emerge....probably in the 3 and 5 mold, to be conservative.

That means we are probably going to need to fill the 2 and 4 holes in the rotation or spend a ton of money resigning Buehrle, Garcia and-or Contreras. Donīt see JG staying with us at this point.

You would think we could get a little of a hometown discount on Garcia because of the OG family connection, but I would prefer Buehrle, obviously.

KRS1
12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Haeger could turn out to the be the perfect young and affordable number five starter in the Tim Wakefield mode for us.

After 2007, itīs a crapshoot. You know McCarthy will be around, but we have no idea about Garcia or Buerhle.

Of course, KW has added to the rotation mostly through trades and FA pick-ups rather than minor league promotion.

Of the group of Broadway, Haeger, Honel, Tracey, Liotta, Lumsden and Malone, we will hopefully have two solid major leaguers emerge....probably in the 3 and 5 mold, to be conservative.

That means we are probably going to need to fill the 2 and 4 holes in the rotation or spend a ton of money resigning Buehrle, Garcia and-or Contreras. Donīt see JG staying with us at this point.

You would think we could get a little of a hometown discount on Garcia because of the OG family connection, but I would prefer Buehrle, obviously.

I cant stand people saying this, and all this stuff about his attitude towards our org.. Have any of you talked to him, are you close personal friends. He turned down an offer and thats it, wheres the news saying he said dont throw anything else my way cuz I'm gone. As for attitude have you seen Jon pumped or enthused about anything other than the playoff celebrations, NO. He is a low key guy with his emotions and doesnt where them on his sleeve. I have to think someone here is his psycologist because the worst vibes he's given off IMO where when Jerry Manuel would take him outta games that we were still in.

As for haeger, I wish him the best wherever he may pitch b/c his story is a great one, but I dont like knuckleballers and the inconsistency they bring to the table. If we can use him to get a couple good minor leaguers I would be happy.

Frater Perdurabo
12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of the Sox having a good knuckleballer in the rotation. However, they seriously would need to consider getting another catcher, because there's no way Pierzynski should be catching a knuckler.
:o:

Does anyone know if Chris Widger is a good defensive catcher, and good enough to catch a knuckleballer? I've not seen his defense - especially as a receiver - discussed much on here, and didn't get to watch much of him on TV myself since A.J. played almost exclusively in the postseason.

Although he's a valuable part of the Sox winning a World Series, and this is not intended as a criticism, Pierzynski's defense also precludes putting a knuckler in the bullpen. The Sox would have to pull Pierzynski just to bring in Haeger (or any other knuckler, for that matter), or risk a wild pitch on dang near every throw. (As it is, Garcia and Contreras tied for the league lead in wild pitches, many of which a better defensive catcher would have blocked.) Clearly, with AJ behind the plate, a knuckleballer in the pen is not a good idea.

caulfield12
12-13-2005, 06:22 PM
I cant stand people saying this, and all this stuff about his attitude towards our org.. Have any of you talked to him, are you close personal friends. He turned down an offer and thats it, wheres the news saying he said dont throw anything else my way cuz I'm gone. As for attitude have you seen Jon pumped or enthused about anything other than the playoff celebrations, NO. He is a low key guy with his emotions and doesnt where them on his sleeve. I have to think someone here is his psycologist because the worst vibes he's given off IMO where when Jerry Manuel would take him outta games that we were still in.

As for haeger, I wish him the best wherever he may pitch b/c his story is a great one, but I dont like knuckleballers and the inconsistency they bring to the table. If we can use him to get a couple good minor leaguers I would be happy.

Bottom line, at this instant in time, what would you pay Garland right now, and for how many years? And do you really think he would accept it? Right now, it appears that $7 plus to $8 million is not enough...and probably shouldnīt be based on the signings weīve seen in the last three or four weeks.

Fredsox
12-13-2005, 07:08 PM

I loooooooove knucklballers! They make the other team do things out of the ordinary to adapt. Usually the ones that make it to the majors have excellent control (well, at least they don't walk a lot of people). They can be real game-changes, even series changers as often times the managers shift their lineups to try to deal with them. They're also usually innings-eaters as starters.

I hope Haeger makes it big with us.

KRS1
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
I loooooooove knucklballers! They make the other team do things out of the ordinary to adapt. Usually the ones that make it to the majors have excellent control (well, at least they don't walk a lot of people). They can be real game-changes, even series changers as often times the managers shift their lineups to try to deal with them. They're also usually innings-eaters as starters.

I hope Haeger makes it big with us.

How can you looooooooove a pitcher that the standard of 4+ ERA is if you are considered the best at what you do over the last 10 years. I would rather get someone who at least has the chance of making a consistent living under 4 than one who will live over that number.

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I think knuckle-ballers should go way of the Do-Do bird, but until proven otherwise Haeger is an interesting prospect. I think he throws a "knuckle curve", right? and not the stand knuckle ball. There is a bit of a difference.

KRS1
12-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I think knuckle-ballers should go way of the Do-Do bird, but until proven otherwise Haeger is an interesting prospect. I think he throws a "knuckle curve", right? and not the stand knuckle ball. There is a bit of a difference.

No, he does throw a knuckler. Kris Honel is the one in our org. with a Knuckle-curve.

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
No, he does throw a knuckler. Kris Honel is the one in our org. with a Knuckle-curve.

That's right. Thanks.