PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Questions

IggyD
12-12-2005, 09:12 PM
This will be my first time there and I am wondering how things work as for autographs.

1) Do they charge?

2) Do they supply the photo, ball, bat etc...or can you bring your own?

3) If there is a charge...is it per person that you are wanting the signature from?

Many of you are many years in as soxfest goes...so any advice you can supply to a newbie will be appreciated....TIA

HotelWhiteSox
12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
1) No. Other than the price of your ticket, you don't pay for the autographs.

2) You bring your own things to sign. Usually there's a limit, but once there was no line for Moose Skrowrn so they didn't care, but lines are usually very long.

You do get like a little brochure or magazine when you go in, and it has the pictures of the attendees, and a space for autographs, if you have nothing to get signed. Even if you bring nothing, sometimes sponsor have some small freebie item, and there's plenty of memorbilia and baseball stuff to buy there.

As far as advice, I would say is to plan ahead. The schedule is usually released a couple days before the event, and some good things are timed together, so it's up to you to decide what's more important and where you want to be. Also, be early. You'll end up waiting either way, since people line up at the stages very early for autos, but if you don't get there early, you'll wait a long time in the line. The latter is riskier though, since there are usually limits on the number of people.

Have a good time!

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Don't spend all your time waiting in line for autographs. There's plenty of other good stuff to do.

IggyD
12-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Don't spend all your time waiting in line for autographs. There's plenty of other good stuff to do.

Thank you to HotelWhiteSox (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=5969) for the advice and info.

As for waiting in line...I have tickets for all 3 days and will try to see as much as possible plus get some autos. for my basement shrine to the best team in Baseball and Chicago.

Thanks again for the input

mike squires
12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Good advice. You have to catch some seminars. Get a seat in the front and get to the front afterwards and the players and guys like Hawk will gladly sign for you. I got a Baines, Dotson, Hawk, DJ, Ray Durham and (-) this close to a Frank. Alot of the guys let their guard down and are quite candid and entertaining. Hawk is usually extremly honest and funny with some Damns and Hells thrown in there. I recall even Baines talking more than usual up on the stage.Best advice yet...AVOID LOOKING AT FARMERS ANKLES!!!

IggyD
12-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Best advice yet...AVOID LOOKING AT FARMERS ANKLES!!!:D::D::D:

krohnjw
12-13-2005, 06:01 AM
I have to agree that the seminars and talks are well worth it. We got several autographs the last few years and plan on going to more of the seminars (with good seats, not SRO) this year.

HITMEN OF 77
12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
The best seminars I've been to, have Moose Skowron as a speaker. He is so funny!! Last year he was talking about his his stomach hurting after eating a cheese burger and having a beer, then he was trying to sell his LA Dodgers WS ring. He's a riot.

tacosalbarojas
12-13-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd also say if you're going on Friday night, get there early. It's the shortest day of the weekend (four hours IIRC), and the lines seem the longest. Get in the line they have set up for the ballroom for the pre-session introductions so you can get in right away. The gates are supposed to open at 5:00 or 5:30, but there have been a couple of years when I didn't get in until a half hour or so after opening because I was so far back in line.

The others who've suggested downplaying the autograph sessions are dead-on. Unless you have kids who are into that type of thing, of course. The sessions, as mentioned, are outstanding. I also love the garage sales and the exhibits from collectors are worth perusing as well. And if you play your cards right you might even get on radio, as MVP usually broadcasts live...although I'm guessing that will change to a Score production this year.

TornLabrum
12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Please note the time change on Friday as per whitesox.com: It opens at 4:00 p.m. this year.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-13-2005, 10:23 PM
There is a ton of auto's that you can buy if you don't get a particular someone.