PDA

View Full Version : Accessing 100 level w/ 500 level ticket

illiniowl
12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Attendance looks like it will be really strong in 2006, and for that reason I'm thinking for the first time about ponying up for season tickets for my family of 4 (shared with others). As you all know, to punish the many for the sins of a few, the Sox don't let 500-level ticketholders access the 100-level concourse - at least on your way in at Gate 5, which is where we always enter.

Occasionally, due to my kids being 6 and 3 and not able to remain in their seats for the entire game, I'd like to take them on a walk out to the outfield concourse.

My question is - can you enter the Fundamentals deck on the upper level, and exit onto the lower level without having your tickets checked? Or did the Sox have someone stationed there last year to prevent that?

Thanks.

TommyJohn
12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Just be sure to bring plenty of Pepsi.:redneck

Corlose 15
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that they have people checking tickets on the stairs but I'm not positive.

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2005, 07:35 PM
My question is - can you enter the Fundamentals deck on the upper level, and exit onto the lower level without having your tickets checked? Or did the Sox have someone stationed there last year to prevent that?

Thanks.

Sorry, but I can definitely tell you that security is on to that.

SMO
:(:

TheKittle
12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
A little trick that usually works with most ushers. Tell them you're visiting Chicago and Sox Park for the first. Most ushers are pretty cool about letting visitors walk around. It's worked many times for me when I go to stadiums in different cities. Though some will ask to see an ID which isn't a problem if you're really from out of town.

I think the rule is BS, especially since taxpayer's money went to build the stadium. I'm not talking about sitting in empty, more expensive seats but just walking around the stadium. I have no desire to go into the club/suite areas of a stadium. Leave the champagne sippers to themselves. But I do like to walk around the rest of the stadium and it should be opened to the public.

whitesoxwilkes
12-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Attendance looks like it will be really strong in 2006, and for that reason I'm thinking for the first time about ponying up for season tickets for my family of 4 (shared with others). As you all know, to punish the many for the sins of a few, the Sox don't let 500-level ticketholders access the 100-level concourse - at least on your way in at Gate 5, which is where we always enter.

Occasionally, due to my kids being 6 and 3 and not able to remain in their seats for the entire game, I'd like to take them on a walk out to the outfield concourse.

Thanks.

If you have a "showcase" season ticket with the picture and account number printed on it, I think security allows you to access the 100 level.

The reason for this is that if someone acts up, they can get a hold of the offender's ticket and trace it back to the account holder.

itsnotrequired
12-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Thanks.

The policy is that 500-level season ticket holders (both full and split) get access to the 100-level. Well, this was the policy last year anyway. Rumors are floating around that the Sox may not have the same policy this season or that they may be restricting it to full-season holders only. Time will tell how this plays out...

I want Mags back
12-12-2005, 08:53 PM
There is easy acess to the Fun... deck form the UD. Just walk all the way to the left field corners and the doors in are right there. You can go anywhere in the deck, but there are ticket checkers at the bottom of the LD stairs

DumpJerry
12-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok, first of all, you need to be mindful that Sox management lurks on here regularly to see what the fans have to say about the team. Given this, they also note any gaps in security which get reported here.

It is my understanding that the policy which was implemented after a few unfortunate incidents of jerks running on the field of play is now a MLB policy which applies to several ballparks. One of the reasons is that if everyone in the place is one the 100 level and there is an emergency, evacuation would be difficult due to overcapacity.

I don't know about exceptions for ST holders, I bought my package on 100 so that I can freely roam there.

The Deacon
12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
You can access it on both levels.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/fundamentals.jsp

soxwon
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
If you have a "showcase" season ticket with the picture and account number printed on it, I think security allows you to access the 100 level.

The reason for this is that if someone acts up, they can get a hold of the offender's ticket and trace it back to the account holder.

if you are a seasons ticket holder 27 games or more, for the UD -you have access to the lower deck.
i have never had a problem, walking into the lower deck.

StockdaleForVeep
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
When there are not a huge crowd there, they generally dont have someone checking but on full house shows they do have someone.

I went up to fundamentals durin a game in august(Hernandez' last start of the season) cuz i personally like the deck better than any seat in the park. As i was leaving, some guy asked me for my ticketstub. I found it and showed em, and i asked dumbfoundedly "if i came from downstairs, how could i be sneaking down?" to which i learned there was access to fundamentals from 500

Max Power
12-12-2005, 11:44 PM
When there are not a huge crowd there, they generally dont have someone checking but on full house shows they do have someone.

There has been someone checking tickets at every game I've been to. Initially I thought it was a bit ridiculous to check everyone's ticket during games with smaller crowds, but it's better to have the policy enforced every game rather than just on the bigger nights.

I don't have any problem with the current policy. Though it can be enforced in an absurd way sometimes. Case in point: my friend and I are walking down the ramps from the upper deck after a White Sox winner and my friend says he wants to stop at the bathroom since we have a long el ride back to Evanston. We assumed we could go on the 100 level since the game was over. NOPE. Usher stopped us and said we'd have to go back up to the 500 level. That still bothers me.

Fantosme
12-13-2005, 01:38 AM
A friend of mine said he got into the 1st level by saying he wanted to visit the HOF shop.

TheOldRoman
12-13-2005, 01:49 AM
I think the rule is BS, especially since taxpayer's money went to build the stadium. I'm not talking about sitting in empty, more expensive seats but just walking around the stadium. I have no desire to go into the club/suite areas of a stadium. Leave the champagne sippers to themselves. But I do like to walk around the rest of the stadium and it should be opened to the public.
:rolleyes:
Taxpayer money went to build the park, but taxpayer money didn't go to buy your seats. It doesn't assure you athe view you want. That is BS. You get access to the level your seats are on. What is not reasonable about that?

Once again, the Sox started restricting 500 level ticketholders to the upperdeck because the season ticket holders wanted it. They gave the Ligue and Dybass incidents as reasons, but they were not the main reason. People used to buy upperdeck tickets to sit in the lowerdeck or hang out on the concourse. When games are close to capacity, the concourse is always crowded. Add into that a few thousand more people who didn't pay to be on that level, and it is a cluster****. Season ticket holders bitched about it, and they are right. They pay good money for their seats. They shouldn't have to wait in extremely long lines for the bathrooms or concession stands because of people who didn't pay to be where they are.

The policy isn't going to change, either, so live with it.

TheKittle
12-13-2005, 04:28 AM
:rolleyes:
Taxpayer money went to build the park, but taxpayer money didn't go to buy your seats. It doesn't assure you athe view you want. That is BS. You get access to the level your seats are on. What is not reasonable about that?

Once again, the Sox started restricting 500 level ticketholders to the upperdeck because the season ticket holders wanted it. They gave the Ligue and Dybass incidents as reasons, but they were not the main reason. People used to buy upperdeck tickets to sit in the lowerdeck or hang out on the concourse. When games are close to capacity, the concourse is always crowded. Add into that a few thousand more people who didn't pay to be on that level, and it is a cluster****. Season ticket holders bitched about it, and they are right. They pay good money for their seats. They shouldn't have to wait in extremely long lines for the bathrooms or concession stands because of people who didn't pay to be where they are.

The policy isn't going to change, either, so live with it.

Did you read my post? I did write I'm not talking about sitting in empty, more expensive seats but just walking around the stadium. But what's wrong with walking around and seeing the entire stadium? Who said anything about getting food or using the private restrooms for the 100 level?

Every stadium I've been to, you can walk around both the upper and lower levels of the stadium. There maybe a plaque or a WS trophy at the lower level that would make a great photo op, like at Anaheim Stadium. Which brings me to this point,

When the 2006 season rolls around and the White Sox build a display for the 2005 WS Trophy on the 100 level (which they will), ONLY people who have 100 level tixs are going to be able to see and take pictures of the trophy? Sounds like "class system" of entry to me. Again I'm only talking about going to the 100 level and taking a picture of the WS trophy, not sitting in an empty higher priced seat.

woodenleg
12-13-2005, 06:04 AM
Oh b.s. about the 'class system'. People who can't buy new clothes for their kids or pay bills aren't going to complain about not getting to go down to the 100 level.

I mean, we had little money growing up and I was happy just to go to a game. I don't have much patience for people who cry elitism when they can afford to go to a ballgame at all. Plus they're probably driving, and parking and food alone rules out the most indigent.

We should be happy that lots of people are talking about buying UD tickets and complaining about not being able to get lower level tickets. However, I am SURE that if someone is really, really desperate to get to the lower level, they can buy tickets on game day or whatever.

Quite frankly, I was harassed at the ballpark a few times by loner creeps whose dedication to the Sox was clearly not their number one priority. If greater attendance and more season ticket sales make it less likely for those losers to sit in the good seats, I'm all for it. I'm a little suspicious of some people who whine too much about not being able to get near the season ticket holders and the field.

The World Series trophy is supposed to be on display at Navy Pier soon, no? Or am I mistaken? How many times does someone need to see it?

As far as the outfield concourse, it's full of adults drinking and socializing. There's a lot of jostling out there, it's kind of like a bar, and I'm not sure it's the ideal place for children.

starboy0
12-13-2005, 06:50 AM
The policy is that 500-level season ticket holders (both full and split) get access to the 100-level. Well, this was the policy last year anyway. Rumors are floating around that the Sox may not have the same policy this season or that they may be restricting it to full-season holders only. Time will tell how this plays out...

I was wondering if this policy would change also. I spoke with two reps independently about this. One said it was just a rumor that the policy would change (i.e. no more 100 level access for UD full/split season ticket holders) and he had heard nothing official. Another rep said he has heard nothing at all about a proposed change.

anewman35
12-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Did you read my post? I did write I'm not talking about sitting in empty, more expensive seats but just walking around the stadium. But what's wrong with walking around and seeing the entire stadium? Who said anything about getting food or using the private restrooms for the 100 level?

If you don't have the policy, how do you prevent people from just hanging out and taking up room?

CLR01
12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
If you don't have the policy, how do you prevent people from just hanging out and taking up room?

But that is the whole point. People should just be allowed to do whatever they want in the stadium built with public money, we'll ignore the fact that the Sox pay rent to use the stadium since it ruins the argument. I think the Sox should go with the first come first served method. :rolleyes:

Even though this topic has been discussed 1100 times or so it just keeps getting better.

buckdharma
12-13-2005, 09:14 AM
In other parks, you have access to the lower deck where you can go to all the concessions, stores, etc. Due to the success of the Sox, it is becoming more and more difficult to secure lower deck tickets. If I bring my kids, I want to have access to the shower, the rain room, the cap shop, HOF shop, Icee stand, the kids gift shop, and the kids food area (most of these are in the outfield). If you think about, the Sox are hurting revenue by not providing customers access to these things.

As for the outfield being a bar, I disagree because that is where all the kid stuff is.

TomBradley72
12-13-2005, 09:17 AM
The stadium was built off special taxes/assessments related to tourist/business travel in the city (ie. rental cars, hotels, etc.)...so maybe only tourists with 500 level tix should be allowed in the 100 level.

Baby Fisk
12-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Just be sure to bring plenty of Pepsi.:redneck
...and don't complain afterwards. :cool:

SoxFan78
12-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Its kind of a double edged sword. Yeah, they dont want the lower concourses packed with people with 500 level tickets.

But during the whole game they run advertisements for stuff going on in the lower deck. Like placing a bid in the hall of fame room for scout seat tickets, the rain rooms, fan deck etc.

What if a person in the upper deck won the 50/50 raffle, how would they get their prize? Don't they have to claim it on the lower level.

Im a split season ticket holder and liked going on the lower level before the games and walk around the concourse. But when the game started I always went back up to my seat.

itsnotrequired
12-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Im a split season ticket holder and liked going on the lower level before the games and walk around the concourse. But when the game started I always went back up to my seat.

I'm in the same boat. I usually get to the park right when it opens so I can catch BP. Walking around the lower level at that time is great but once the game starts, it's off to my UD seat. It gets too crowded and I have no real interest in watching a game while standing.

Allowing people into the LD just to "take a lap" shouldn't really be a problem but there is no way to prevent people from just hanging out. Hence, a blanket policy.

alohafri
12-13-2005, 10:17 AM

You could always buy into the Stadium Club and tell security you are going to the Stadium Club (which enters in the 100 level) and hang around the 100 level. We did this at game two of the ALDS and watched Gooch's home run from the Fan Deck.

itsnotrequired
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
You could always buy into the Stadium Club and tell security you are going to the Stadium Club (which enters in the 100 level) and hang around the 100 level. We did this at game two of the ALDS and watched Gooch's home run from the Fan Deck.

If I was going to shell out the dough for a Stadium Club membership, I would just buy tickets in the lower level. $1000/ticket seems like an awfully steep price to pay for the "privilage" of visiting the lower level. Might as well just get lower reserved seats.

mweflen
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
There has been someone checking tickets at every game I've been to. Initially I thought it was a bit ridiculous to check everyone's ticket during games with smaller crowds, but it's better to have the policy enforced every game rather than just on the bigger nights.

I don't have any problem with the current policy. Though it can be enforced in an absurd way sometimes. Case in point: my friend and I are walking down the ramps from the upper deck after a White Sox winner and my friend says he wants to stop at the bathroom since we have a long el ride back to Evanston. We assumed we could go on the 100 level since the game was over. NOPE. Usher stopped us and said we'd have to go back up to the 500 level. That still bothers me.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. After the game, what could the harm possibly be to stop in the bathroom?

alohafri
12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
If I was going to shell out the dough for a Stadium Club membership, I would just buy tickets in the lower level. $1000/ticket seems like an awfully steep price to pay for the "privilage" of visiting the lower level. Might as well just get lower reserved seats.

Not when you split it with a group. For our group, it breaks down to about 10 bucks a game. Really worth it in April and early May.

itsnotrequired
12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Not when you split it with a group. For our group, it breaks down to about 10 bucks a game. Really worth it in April and early May.

Ah, forgot the group angle. Nice idea.:cool:

ws05champs
12-13-2005, 10:39 AM
What if a person in the upper deck won the 50/50 raffle, how would they get their prize? Don't they have to claim it on the lower level.

The procedure is to go to the UD customer service window and they send you on an elevator to the 100 level.

I love the UD because of the perspective it gives you. I hate the policy of not allowing 500 level ticket holders into the 100 level but I can sure understand the problems with crowding. I suppose if I really felt a need to see things on the 100 level I could just buy a 100 level ticket to a game sometime.

And just because a place was built with public money does not mean everyone should have access to it. If that was the case, why make anyone buy a ticket?

nlentz88
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah, that's ridiculous. After the game, what could the harm possibly be to stop in the bathroom?

What harm? How about the unparalleled shame of having to stand at a urinal next to the riff-raff from the upper deck! I swear, the smell of those people makes me sick. I am so glad that those drooling barbarians are caged together up in the stratosphere so Muffy (my wife) and I can relax and sip our Chardonnay in peace. Honestly, sir, if I worked long and hard to ensure that I would never have to sit next to or walk past the scum that inhabits the upper deck, how could you possibly imagine that I would not mind standing shoulder to shoulder with them in the restroom after a game? Preposterous.

whitesoxwin
12-13-2005, 11:14 AM

Per the White Sox Ticket site : https://secure.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/plans/prices.jsp (https://secure.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/plans/prices.jsp)

Stadium Club is not offered with any plan except "Full Season" tickets.
However, I have heard (can not provide written proof) last season Stadium Club members (both Full and 27 game Split season ticket holders) will be allowed to purchase a membership--$600 for Split and $1000 for Full season ticket holders.
Best to contact your Ticket Rep for an update!

SoxFan78
12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Per the White Sox Ticket site : https://secure.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/plans/prices.jsp (https://secure.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/plans/prices.jsp)

Stadium Club is not offered with any plan except "Full Season" tickets.
However, I have heard (can not provide written proof) last season Stadium Club members (both Full and 27 game Split season ticket holders) will be allowed to purchase a membership--$600 for Split and $1000 for Full season ticket holders.
Best to contact your Ticket Rep for an update!

Last year Stadium Club was offered for split season ticket holders. My buddies company had them and it was printed right on the Stadium Club ticket "Double Play Plan". I wonder if they are all sold out for split season ticket holders???

TheOldRoman
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM

Every stadium I've been to, you can walk around both the upper and lower levels of the stadium. There maybe a plaque or a WS trophy at the lower level that would make a great photo op, like at Anaheim Stadium. Which brings me to this point,

When the 2006 season rolls around and the White Sox build a display for the 2005 WS Trophy on the 100 level (which they will), ONLY people who have 100 level tixs are going to be able to see and take pictures of the trophy? Sounds like "class system" of entry to me. Again I'm only talking about going to the 100 level and taking a picture of the WS trophy, not sitting in an empty higher priced seat.
I was not saying you in particular. I am the same way in that, if I buy upperdeck seats, I will sit there. I would still like to be able to visit Nancy and go to the HOF giftshop, but I realize that can't happen. The problem is that thousands of people (not you or me) would not go back upstairs to the seats they paid for. They would just take up room and make things uncomfortable for people who paid to be in that section. It wouldn't even be possible for them to let everyone into the lowerdeck before gametime because they would never get anyone out at the start of the game. For many reasons, the lowerdeck was always seen as vastly superior to the UD, so people want to sit there. For various reasons, people always buy the cheapest tickets available for less than sold out events with the intention to jump seats. That is what always happened. Also, with our great concourse, it is only worse. People are always standing around the concourse, especially in the outfield. If the whole park was open again, there would be several thousand more people from the upperdeck who prefer the view from the outfield concourse then from the seats they paid for.

Jerko
12-13-2005, 11:24 AM
One of my buddies just ordered split season tickets and they told him that NEW Stadium Club memberships were available only to full season ticket holders. Current split season members can still re-up, but new ST holders have to buy a full season.

Realist
12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
The biggest problem with the upper deck folks coming down to the lower deck is that way too many of them never return to the upper deck. This creates quite a problem with long lines for the washroom facilities.

I hate doing the "Snoopy dance" in some monster sized line for the men's room when I could be watching the game. Ten years ago I might have had more faith in my bladder. Not so much anymore. :?:

Last season Sox security started checking people's tickets that were wandering around on the lower deck concourse when there were big crowds. I expect more of that next season.

Jerko
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
The biggest problem with the upper deck folks coming down to the lower deck is that way too many of them never return to the upper deck. This creates quite a problem with long lines for the washroom facilities.

I hate doing the "Snoopy dance" in some monster sized line for the men's room when I could be watching the game. Ten years ago I might have had more faith in my bladder. Not so much anymore. :?:

Last season Sox security started checking people's tickets that were wandering around on the lower deck concourse when there were big crowds. I expect more of that next season.

I agree with you there Realist. I remember before they put the UD policy in place, there were more people on that concourse on a random Saturday than there were during the World Series games. I saw some Wrigley-esque behavior with people relieving themselves in sinks, down the ramps, etc. If they had bigger johns I probably wouldn't care how crowded the concourse was, but the restroom thing alone should make them keep, and enforce, the UD policy.

LauraJ14
12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I just want to be able to be in the lower deck for Batting practice and once that is done, I go to my seats in the upper deck.
Although there were games early last year where not all the concession stands weren't opened, you couldn't get a program in the upper deck, so sometimes its nice to be able to walk around downstairs.
I am sure that will not be a problem in 2006 though!

TheKittle
12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Oh b.s. about the 'class system'. People who can't buy new clothes for their kids or pay bills aren't going to complain about not getting to go down to the 100 level.

The World Series trophy is supposed to be on display at Navy Pier soon, no? Or am I mistaken? How many times does someone need to see it?

As far as the outfield concourse, it's full of adults drinking and socializing. There's a lot of jostling out there, it's kind of like a bar, and I'm not sure it's the ideal place for children.

You missed the point. Even if you're not able to afford clothes, you can still go LOOK at them. You're not charged a "ticket price" to look at clothes at Sears, Hugo Boss, Versace etc.

Also the post about lost revenue, the Dodgers had a stand where people could get a bat made with their name on it. But it was only on the field level. Most fans sitting in the other four levels never about it. I bet that bat company wasn't too happy that only about 20% of the game's crowd would have access to the stand. But that's right, only people sitting in the field level (comparable to the 100 level at Sox Park) would be able to afford those bats.

And what if you're a WS fan and don't live in or near Chicago when the trophy is going to be at Navy Pier? So you go to Chicago in July and because you can only get and/or afford a UD tix you can't take a picture of the WS Trophy??? But that's right, the 100 level of Sox Park is for the wealthy or well connected.

IowaHawksFan1
12-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't like the upper deck policy, but I also understand there is not much I can do about it.

I live several hours away from Chicago and have never lived closer than 2 1/2 hours to the city. I usually try and make it to 10-12 games a year and I watch the rest on TV. For a couple years I had a partial ticket plan and I'd take friends with me who'd never gone to a Sox game before. Because of money my seats are always in the upper deck. It would be nice to take them and let them see the lower deck. I used to do that before the policy was implemented and than we always returned to our seats. It sucks now that we can't do that.

For me I don't care so much about being down there, I've seen it all already (well except the statues, but really who cares I'm not at a game to see a statue I'm there to see the game).

The thing is most people wouldn't do what me and my friends do (which is return to the upper deck) so I do understand the policy, that's just the way the world works. For me I could cut down the number of games I attend and buy more expensive tickets, but I prefer to make as many games as possible. Some of my friends won't go with me now because they can't go down there, but to me that is their choice. I'd rather be at as many games as I can, with as many friends as I can enjoying the game and being with them. For some of them it is more important to have access to some of the things on the lower concourse than to be enjoying a game with friends and if that is their choice I prefer not to be at the game with them anyways.

The problem is for families with kids, like the guy who started this thread. I can understand the kid wanting to go down and see that stuff and it probably is tough for the parent to have to tell them no, perhaps if you didn't do it every time, but just asked a security guard or two (that looked like they were in a good mood) they might relax the policy for you on occassion, just make sure you go back by their post on the way back up so they know you ended up going back up like you said you would. It never hurts to ask...the worst that can happen is you are told no.

TheKittle
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I can understand that policy but if you visit other stadiums for the first and maybe the only time you kinda want to see the entire stadium right? Not just the UD.

A good way to solve this would be allow anybody on the 100 level BUT once BP is over start checking tixs for everybody in the 100. That way the snobs in the 100 level won't have to deal with the poor underclass people who sit in 500.

anewman35
12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
A good way to solve this would be allow anybody on the 100 level BUT once BP is over start checking tixs for everybody in the 100.

How would they stop somebody from just hiding out in a seat somewhere? And wouldn't it be really annoying for fans and very time consuming for ushers to keep rechecking everybody's tickets over and over?

IowaHawksFan1
12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Perhaps they could mark our hands with a big red X or tatoo upper deck access only to our foreheads and once BP is over kick those of us with the marking out ;p LOL J/K...saves them from having to ask for a ticket anyway ;p

No I agree that it would be a pain to check everyone's ticket again. I understand if it is your first time and possibly only time attending a park that you would want to go down and check it out...but than again if its your first and only time odds are you're going to be willing to pay a little more for seats.

The policy is the policy for those of us who can't afford season tix and/or live too far away it sucks. But that is the policy and I understand the reasonings behind it, even though I think it sucks

illiniowl
12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Although there were games early last year where not all the concession stands weren't opened, you couldn't get a program in the upper deck, so sometimes its nice to be able to walk around downstairs.
I am sure that will not be a problem in 2006 though!

I wouldn't be so sure. I've been in the 500 level twice in the past 5 years, both for games that were sellouts (a Cubs game and ALCS Game 2), and both times there were concession stands that were closed. Naturally, this leads to shortages and/or longer-than-necessary lines at the other stands. Frankly, if the Sox provided a better overall experience for the 500 level ticketholder, they'd sell more UD season tickets and there wouldn't be a "need" (if indeed there is one, which I doubt) to restrict access to the 100 level. If there are any Sox management personnel lurking here, I'm sure they don't care what our collective opinion is on the UD policy (and I do think reasonable people can disagree on that issue), but they should know that they can do a better job at providing the 500-level fans full value for their $$.

South Side Irish
12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
The problem I have with the policy is for BP.

I brought by little cousins (9,12,15) to the 9/19 Tribe game... their FIRST Sox game. We arrived 2 hours early. All we wanted to do was check out BP and catch a few balls, but the ushers couldn't have been any less polite. At least explain why.

I understand why the policy is in place, but refusal to be flexible or explain to fans (especially new ones) why policies are in place seems like bad press. You DO want to make your franchise accessible and fan friendly, right?

And good point on the WS trophy, too. If the display is down on the 100 level and I can't see it, I'll be pissed.

IronFisk
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Well, back to the original question.

I was able to "sneak" by on a couple of occasions (with my son) during a near-sellout. Sometime those ushers aren't so "motivated", and slack off now and then. However, they did check during most of the game.

OzzyTrain
12-13-2005, 09:06 PM
if you are a seasons ticket holder 27 games or more, for the UD -you have access to the lower deck.
i have never had a problem, walking into the lower deck.

Is that hear say, or can you confirm that ?

fox23
12-14-2005, 08:49 AM

My roommate and I got a 27 game package two weeks ago. He asked the ticket rep if we could go downstairs with our UD tickets, and the rep said yes.

Max Power
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't be so sure. I've been in the 500 level twice in the past 5 years, both for games that were sellouts (a Cubs game and ALCS Game 2), and both times there were concession stands that were closed. Naturally, this leads to shortages and/or longer-than-necessary lines at the other stands. Frankly, if the Sox provided a better overall experience for the 500 level ticketholder, they'd sell more UD season tickets and there wouldn't be a "need" (if indeed there is one, which I doubt) to restrict access to the 100 level. If there are any Sox management personnel lurking here, I'm sure they don't care what our collective opinion is on the UD policy (and I do think reasonable people can disagree on that issue), but they should know that they can do a better job at providing the 500-level fans full value for their $$.

This is what bothers me when I sit in the 500 level. I have no problem with the view up there, the collage of pictures on the concourse is amazing to look at, and the windscreens make it much nicer on the concourses. BUT it's annoying when there's like one kosher dog stand for the whole upper deck, one nachos stand and the other concession stands are closed. Then the lines are long for every stand and people have a bad experience. The upper deck should be more consistently filled this season so I hope that the Sox realize they need to increase the staffing up there.

OzzyTrain
12-14-2005, 01:53 PM
My roommate and I got a 27 game package two weeks ago. He asked the ticket rep if we could go downstairs with our UD tickets, and the rep said yes.

Thats what the rep told me, she left a voice mail but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

scottjanssens
12-14-2005, 02:14 PM

I've done this many times. If you have the photo tickets you just show them and the ushers let you in. If the ushers don't know they're supposed to let you in, make a stink. Not all the ushers know their jobs very well.

If you have a tickmaster stub purchased through a season ticket plan you can get it stamped (the account # is printed on the ticket) at the customer service booth behind home plate on the upper deck. Why the ushers can't just look for the ticket account # is beyond me. Once the ticket is stamped the ushers will let you into the lower deck. This is for the non-photo tickets. Again, you may need to instruct the usher to his/her duties.

scottjanssens
12-14-2005, 02:16 PM
One more note, you can not get access to the lower deck with an email ticket even if purchased through a ticket account. The email printouts do not have any way to associate them with a ticket account.

krispoulin
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I've been to 15 of the 30 current MLB parks and Sox Park is the only one I've found that doesn't allow roaming from level to level regardless of one's seat location. (I could be mistaken about Yankee Stadium, as I haven't been there since 1980, but I've been to all of the others within the last 3 years.)

TheKittle
12-15-2005, 01:12 AM
I've been to 15 of the 30 current MLB parks and Sox Park is the only one I've found that doesn't allow roaming from level to level regardless of one's seat location. (I could be mistaken about Yankee Stadium, as I haven't been there since 1980, but I've been to all of the others within the last 3 years.)

I take it that the dump Dodger Stadium is one stadium you haven't been to. There are (going from bottom to top) field, loge, club, reserve, and top deck levels at the dump. If you have a reserve tix you can't go down to loge or field. You also can only enter at the level of your tix or anything above that level.

steff
12-15-2005, 05:41 AM

Went to Boston, The Jake & Camden last year, and Seattle in '04 and they have the same policy.

CHIsoxNation
12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many rows are in the upper deck? I was going to pick up a couple of tickets for the weekend package and would like to get upper deck since I've heard you are still able to access the LD with those tickets. However, the majority of seats left for upper deck are in rows 12-13. Does anyone know if this is toward the top of the section? I'd rather not be sitting in nose bleeds.

Also, would anyone know if it is possible to get a wider range of tickets by going through a sales rep rather then ordering them on their website? It doesn't look like a wide selection of tickets available, at least good ones, on their website for the weekend package. I wasn't sure if maybe you could get better seats by going through a rep.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some advice.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many rows are in the upper deck? I was going to pick up a couple of tickets for the weekend package and would like to get upper deck since I've heard you are still able to access the LD with those tickets. However, the majority of seats left for upper deck are in rows 12-13. Does anyone know if this is toward the top of the section? I'd rather not be sitting in nose bleeds.

Also, would anyone know if it is possible to get a wider range of tickets by going through a sales rep rather then ordering them on their website? It doesn't look like a wide selection of tickets available, at least good ones, on their website for the weekend package. I wasn't sure if maybe you could get better seats by going through a rep.

Thanks in advance to anyone with some advice.

1. I believe there is something like 24 rows in the UD. Row 16 or 17 is where the support pillars for the new roof start (so possible obstructed views in rows higher than that).

2. Yes, you will have better luck going through a rep.

CHIsoxNation
12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
1. I believe there is something like 24 rows in the UD. Row 16 or 17 is where the support pillars for the new roof start (so possible obstructed views in rows higher than that).

2. Yes, you will have better luck going through a rep.

Thanks!

IlliniSox4Life
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM

Yankee Stadium doesn't allow you to go from the bleecher section to any other part of the ballpark, which is even more stupid.

TheKittle
12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Yankee Stadium doesn't allow you to go from the bleecher section to any other part of the ballpark, which is even more stupid.

Are the bleachers at Yankee Stadium even connected to the stadium? At the DUMP, Dodger Stadium the OF Pavilion, basically the bleachers are not connected to the stadium at all.

bobbythigpen
12-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Do Ozzie Plan tickets in the 500 level give you access to the 100 level?

itsnotrequired
12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Do Ozzie Plan tickets in the 500 level give you access to the 100 level?

Nope. Full and split plans only.

Soxfanspcu11
12-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Isn't The Urinal like this as well? Back when I was in 8th grade we took a "field trip" to Wrigley for a game. (Yes, I have no idea why) But anyway there was like this big controversy or whatever because we were in 2 separate groups and one group had lower reserved tickets or something similar and the other group had bleacher tickets and the chaperons were all pissed because the 2 groups could not sit together.

And Yankee Stadium and their staff just plain suck. I was there in '96 with my friend and he wanted to go to the very top of the Upper Deck, in the corner and take a "panoramic" picture of the stadium. He went up and I stayed by the tunnel and as he sat down, the usher yelled to him, "Sir, you can't sit up there" I informed the usher that he was simply taking a picture and would leave and the usher just ignored me and began walking up to the top to "remove" him from the seat. My friend was able to get the picture but just in time before the usher "escorted" him from the seat.

Seriously, how stupid and rude could you be??? It took him 10 seconds tops to take the picture and it's not like we were going to stay. I swear some people are just born jerks.

chisoxfanatic
12-17-2005, 04:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many rows are in the upper deck?

There are 21 rows in the upper deck.

And, for those of you who need an idea on how to get down, PM me. I know a way. Thankfully, I am a split-season ticket holder in the lower deck, so I won't have to deal with that.

steff
12-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Nope. Full and split plans only.

This is incorrect. Val.. want to set the record straight. :wink:

itsnotrequired
12-17-2005, 11:36 AM
This is incorrect. Val.. want to set the record straight. :wink:

Are we talking about "legal" trips downstairs?:tongue:

steff
12-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Are we talking about "legal" trips downstairs?:tongue:

Those of us with the correct facts are.

Max Power
12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Isn't The Urinal like this as well? Back when I was in 8th grade we took a "field trip" to Wrigley for a game. (Yes, I have no idea why) But anyway there was like this big controversy or whatever because we were in 2 separate groups and one group had lower reserved tickets or something similar and the other group had bleacher tickets and the chaperons were all pissed because the 2 groups could not sit together.

That is correct.