PDA

View Full Version : I'm depressed

gobears1987
12-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I support all of the moves that KW made, but I just did something that I'm really sad about. I just changed my profile. I changed Frank Thomas from being my favorite current player to being my favorite past player. I'm sure all the Frank fans feel the same way I do.:whiner::whiner::whiner:

At least we will likely repeat next year and that is the most important thing.

mweflen
12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
You know what, I was just about to start a thread called "I'm coming to terms."

I've just been perusing the free agent tracker on ESPN, and looking at losses/acquisitions (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251832), and, despite my negative emotions with regards to losing Rowand and Thomas, I think we're going to be pretty darn good next year. Like 90-100 games good.

Winning will make the losses of Thomas and Rowand happy nostalgic memories instead of bitter ones.

(caveat - I think the Thome acquisition is not good long term because of his age/price, but for 2006 and possibly 07, we're looking pretty sweet)

I'm STOKED about Mackowiak. HE addresses just about every need we had in the field (backup CF for BA, backup 3B for Crede) and has a stick with pop to boot - and he's only 29.

gobears1987
12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I know the Sox will be better off and I don't fault KW. I like the deals he has made. I'm just sad that it means the end of the Frank Thomas era. He is the reason I became a Sox fan.

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm over it. You will be too once Thome cracks 40 homers.

Jurr
12-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Loving that attitude. We've got a title...Frank was there for it.....can't ask for too much more in this imperfect world.

I'm not nearly as upset about losing Frank as I was about losing Ray Durham, as funny as that sounds. I guess Ray Ray was one of the first guys that I watched and followed day in and day out from the time he got to the Sox.

I'd been watching the Sox since I could remember (around 1982), but in the internet age, you follow your team a lot closer (or so it was for me). Ray came on around 1995, and he'd been a cornerstone for a number of years. I think Frank's chronic injuries over the last few years kinda softened that blow a little. Hell, Miguel Olivo's trade was seemingly tougher than this due to the sudden nature of it all. My girlfriend bawled her eyes out over that one. I was trying not to.

Frank brought us all a TON of memories, and we should all be thankful for that. However, it's just a part of life...change.

LFTBvX
12-12-2005, 09:26 PM
I gotta go with Jurr on this one. Frank was always my favorite player on the Whitesox and probably one of the main reasons that im a fan of the team. As many have stated, KW has an obligation to the fans and the organization to put the best team on the field. He has no obligation to Frank Thomas. Frank gave this team a HELL of a lot in the 90's, but unfortunatly his production recently has fallen with his health. The Sox have a unique opportunity in 2006 to win a second title in two years, and Kenny CAN NOT gamble on someone who has played only 2 complete seasons in the last 5 years! Getting Thome was the best thing KW could have done.If theres one thing im disappointed about its how FRANK handled the situation. He knows baseball and how this business works, and I wish he could have just left with his ring, smiling, knowing how much he has done for this organization and how much the fans appreciate him for it.I hope to god Frank (and Thome) has a couple MONSTER seasons left in him and reaches his 500. Cheers to 16 amazing seasons.

StockdaleForVeep
12-12-2005, 11:04 PM

Having thomas on the bench is better than having macowiak on the bench. Near 500 hr hitter, and hit 12 hrs on one leg last season. A good insurance policy for thome going down.

Deuce
12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Having thomas on the bench is better than having macowiak on the bench. Near 500 hr hitter, and hit 12 hrs on one leg last season. A good insurance policy for thome going down.Only problem is Thomas is not a bench player.

TheOldRoman
12-13-2005, 01:54 AM
I think the Thome acquisition is not good long term because of his age/price, but for 2006 and possibly 07, we're looking pretty sweet.
:?:
He is under contract for three years. If he has a great 06 and 07, it's a steal. If Thome hits 90-100 homers over the next two years, it was a great trade no matter what else happens. How is that bad long term? That doesn't make sense unless you think Rowand is going to become a superstar. If you do, :rolleyes:. I love Rowand as much as the next guy. Although I think he can be a very good major leaguer, I dont think he will be a superstar, and he probably wont be better than Anderson.

SOXintheBURGH
12-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Guy Bacci wrote a great article on the WSI front page. All you cats that use the boards as your Home Page check it. Bacci completely legitimizes my entire sentimants towards 35.

The Racehorse
12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
... I just did something that I'm really sad about. I just changed my profile. I changed Frank Thomas from being my favorite current player to being my favorite past player. I'm sure all the Frank fans feel the same way I do.

Your thread reminded me to change my profile, damn. :(:

On the brighter, Sox Rule! :cool:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/10/27/YdEPl8y6.jpg
:bandance:

BeviBall!
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Having thomas on the bench is better than having macowiak on the bench. Near 500 hr hitter, and hit 12 hrs on one leg last season. A good insurance policy for thome going down.

I couldn't disagree with this more. How long until Frank started making waves about not playing? And I wouldn't even blame him since he's not a bench player at all.

we be jake
12-13-2005, 08:55 AM
glad to be back after a week suspension. i learned my lesson about the filter. lol the situation with frank takes me back to the strike season. we were havin' a great year full of promise and frank was about to lead the league in several areas---unfullfilled dreams---so it is justice that frank got his ring. it is just really sad that he doesn't get to finish here, where he belongs.But i'm a team guy so, here's to thome, best wishes and welcome.:cool: WE BE JAKE

mweflen
12-13-2005, 01:33 PM
:?:
He is under contract for three years. If he has a great 06 and 07, it's a steal. If Thome hits 90-100 homers over the next two years, it was a great trade no matter what else happens. How is that bad long term? That doesn't make sense unless you think Rowand is going to become a superstar. If you do, :rolleyes:. I love Rowand as much as the next guy. Although I think he can be a very good major leaguer, I dont think he will be a superstar, and he probably wont be better than Anderson.
My point is that we had a proven commodity at a reasonable price in Rowand with mostly upside for the next 5 plus years. Granted, we have unproven commodities at rock bottom prices in our minor league OF's, but we've all seen what a crapshoot that can be. Thome will certainly help the team, if healthy, for the next 2 or 3 years. But after that, we're back to square one because of his age. And he's expensive.