PDA

View Full Version : Jason Bere looks back at what might have been

Fenway
12-12-2005, 02:15 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3801574/1130137826121_1994Ultra31.jpg

One of the Red Sox boards has an interview with former White Sox pitcher Jason Bere.
tp://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19257 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19257)

RSN: Do you feel the strike in 1994 had any impact on your career?

JB: In a way it was huge. I was 12-2 at the time, and the team was doing well. When we got going again the following year, I had the arm injury and was terrible.

RSN: Do you think it contributed to the injury?

JB: That's hard to say. We did have a short spring training, but working on a new cut fastball -- which I probably didn't even need -- probably had more to do with it. I wanted another pitch to use against left-handed batters, one that would bore in and get off the barrel. In a way it was more like a slider, but on an evener plane, and I put a lot of torque on it. And it was kind of like getting a new toy and wanting to play with it. Instead of just using it to bust left-handers inside, I found myself throwing it too much, even against right-handers down and away. I remember talking to Mickey Tettleton in '95, and him telling me, "You already had good stuff. Why did you try to fix something that wasn't broken?" But was that, or the late start to spring training, ultimately responsible for my arm injury? It's really impossible to say.

RSN: Did the strike affect you in another way -- teaching you that the game is really a business?

JB: That actually happened prior to the strike. I found out when we released Carlton Fisk the year before. The team waited until after he had broken the record, and then let him go. We had a road trip to Cleveland, and released him before we played our first game there. What was the point of flying him to Cleveland instead of doing it before he got on the plane? And then, of course, we made the playoffs that year. He tried to get into the clubhouse to wish us luck, and they wouldn't let him in! Carlton Fisk, who spent over 20 years in the big leagues, and they wouldn't let him come into the clubhouse! Now, maybe I don't know the whole story, but I didn't understand that.

Baby Fisk
12-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting how the alt black jerseys used to look.

SOXintheBURGH
12-12-2005, 02:25 PM

Yeah, and look at the old blue seats in the crowd.

kwolf68
12-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Very candid interview and I enjoyed it. I always thought Bere could have become a great one.

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3801574/1130137826121_1994Ultra31.jpg

One of the Red Sox boards has an interview with former White Sox pitcher Jason Bere.
tp://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19257 (http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19257) Or maybe if he'd listened to his coaches who were telling him to change his delivery...

Lip Man 1
12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
No. 2:

Actually that's a tad off. Apparently the Sox coaches and specifically Jumbotron Ron were telling him NOT to change his delivery. Schueler in an interview with the Tribune just in the past two years said he warned Bere not to try to emulate his 'hero' Roger Clemens. That he didn't have the same build for it. According to Schueler, Bere ignored him.

Knowing Schueler I'm sure Jason has a different version of events.

Either way, Bere was the closest thing that Sox may have ever had to Clemens they way he simply overpowered hitters. He has three or four of the top single game strikeout records in team history including one evening where he set down 13 Bosox who looked like Little Leaguers against him.

Lip

WestSox
12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I can't recall specifics, but remember Bere acting like an ass in his final year with the Sox ('98?).

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
No. 2:

Actually that's a tad off. Apparently the Sox coaches and specifically Jumbotron Ron were telling him NOT to change his delivery. Schueler in an interview with the Tribune just in the past two years said he warned Bere not to try to emulate his 'hero' Roger Clemens. That he didn't have the same build for it. According to Schueler, Bere ignored him.

Knowing Schueler I'm sure Jason has a different version of events.

Either way, Bere was the closest thing that Sox may have ever had to Clemens they way he simply overpowered hitters. He has three or four of the top single game strikeout records in team history including one evening where he set down 13 Bosox who looked like Little Leaguers against him.

Lip I'm sure you're right. I just remember a disagreement over his delivery and that he ignored everyone's advice, to his own detriment.

Brian26
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Same jersey, but the buttons are white/clear.

ChiSoxLifer
12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Man I used to love this guy when he played on the Sox. Too bad the Sox never got to trade him to the northside. He'd still be pitching.

batmanZoSo
12-12-2005, 09:51 PM

That's quite an eye. I can see Pauly in your sig now. At first I didn't notice what was different.

I didn't picture Bere to be so outspoken. I was awfully young when he was really good. Though I do remember he was really good. Imagine him with a little of Clemens' rubber arm. There's no telling what he could've done.

BeviBall!
12-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Bere was awesome and a nice guy to boot.

Hitmen77
12-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Bere was awesome and a nice guy to boot.

Are you sure? I seem to remember him trashing Sox fans once he joined the Cubs - a la Bobby Howry.

Baby Fisk
12-13-2005, 09:20 AM
The logo seems larger and the number seems lower than the present jerseys. Maybe it's the angle of the photo.

Fenway
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
The logo seems larger and the number seems lower than the present jerseys. Maybe it's the angle of the photo.

1994 Chicago (American League)
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1994_chicago.gif (javascript:history.go(-1))

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Chicago&lowYear=1990&highYear=2004&sort=year&increment=9

slavko
12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
My faltering memory is telling me Bere couldn't get it together after almost 2 years off, Manuel told him to go to the bullpen and work it out, he refused, was released, was picked up by CIN, went to the bullpen and worked it out, eventually returning to a starting role there.

Theanticub
12-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Bere was one of my fave pitchers of that year. Decent interview, IMO I think that strike lost us at least an ALCS appearance.

Kohms27
12-19-2005, 03:36 PM
First I would like to say congratulations on the White Sox winning the series. I am a life long Red Sox fan and I understand your Joy. I had the pleasure of playing a year with Jason Bere at Middlesex Community College in MA. We became friends and I proudly followed his career which as you know started with your Sox. A few of the things I read on this post are false and I wanted to take the time to correct them. First off I can't speak for Bobby Howry but as for Jason I can honestly tell you he loved playing for the White Sox. His best years as a pro happened with the Sox and he has nothing but the fondest regard for the city and people of Chicago. In fact the main reason that he signed with the Cubs in the first place was becaue of his time with the White Sox. When I played with JB he was a skinny kid with raw potential that the White Sox coaching staff molded into a major league pitcher. He always listened to his coaches. His only issue was with the manager at the time when he was coming back from Tommy John surgery. That would have been in 98. He asked to be released because the Sox wanted to send him to the minors and we wanted to stay in the Bigs and ultimately was released and signed with the Reds where he continued his comeback. His agent at the time said some things about the manager whose name is slipping me. I can tell you first hand how hard he worked to come back from TJ surgery. I was there when the nurse was stretching his arm and he was screaming because the ligaments were so tight. Jason is one of the best guys and friends I have ever made. He truly is the same kid I meant on campus in 1989. When he was on top of the world in 93 and 94 he never lost his prespective. He would never tell you this because he is as modest as they come but he was nominated as a finalist a few years back for the Roberto Clememte award which is given to a player that most gives back. I had to read about it in the Boston Globe if that tells you anything. Jason had a solid career and really worked for all he achieved. He is highly thought of by his ex-teammates and baseball in general. I don't know if the whole article was posted but Jason will be taking a job in the Cleveland Indians front office where he will continue his career. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the rest of the season. I know the joy in showing my Yankees friend my 2004 World Champion hat as you all do proudly wearing your 2005 gear.

:smile:

soxinem1
12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Are you sure? I seem to remember him trashing Sox fans once he joined the Cubs - a la Bobby Howry.

I remember Bere talking major trash when Manuel pulled him out of the rotation in 98, then when they let him go, AND when he signed with the cub a few years later.

For the record, the several Sox pitching coaches who had Bere told him he threw off his elbow too much and that he fell in love with his off speed stuff too often.

I watched his ML debut at Comiskey and even though he lost, I remember hearing the glove pop in CF.

I remember him being in the minors with CLE, does anyone know if he is still around, or did he pack it in?

Kohms27
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
For the record, the several Sox pitching coaches who had Bere told him he threw off his elbow too much and that he fell in love with his off speed stuff too often.

I remember him being in the minors with CLE, does anyone know if he is still around, or did he pack it in?[/QUOTE]

After Tommy John surgery he couldn't throw his off speed stuff. When he was going good his fosh was his out pitch. It was considered one of the best pitches in baseball at the time. His biggest problem was control. He asked for his release and was granted it. He did not like Manuel but who did?

He tried to come back with the Indians this year but his arm broke down again and he didn't want to have another surgery. He has taken a job with the Cleveland Indians as an assistant to the GM.

Britt Burns
12-19-2005, 05:22 PM
His stuff was just incredible-even with a great staff of Black Jack, Alvarez, Fernandez, his stood out head and shoulders. Sustained high, hard juice, the fosh, wild enough to make hitters uneasy in the box...he really did look like a young Clemens. What could have been...

soxinem1
12-20-2005, 11:33 AM
His stuff was just incredible-even with a great staff of Black Jack, Alvarez, Fernandez, his stood out head and shoulders. Sustained high, hard juice, the fosh, wild enough to make hitters uneasy in the box...he really did look like a young Clemens. What could have been...

You are not kidding! He was the hardest thrower of the group, and his FB was one of the best in the league at the time. But again, he was a thrower. When he had no FB during 1998 he had nothing to fall back on, plus, his off speed stuff was non existant.

But he did drive me nuts with his 100 pitch five inning games!