PDA

View Full Version : Ring Ceremony 4/4/06

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Supposedly Brooks was on the Score just now and said this is when the ring ceremony would be. Yes... that's a Tuesday. Why on earth wouldn't they have the ceremony on Opening Night?

itsnotrequired
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Supposedly Brooks was on the Score just now and said this is when the ring ceremony would be. Yes... that's a Tuesday. Why on earth wouldn't they have the ceremony on Opening Night?

Because Rowand has Tuesday off...

Baby Fisk
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
IIRC, they are raising the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP flag on Opening Night. The festivities are being spread out.

Shakey Bonez
12-12-2005, 11:39 AM
There's always a HUGE attendence drop-off after opening night. So they want to keep it spread out to open the season with sell-outs across the board.

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
IIRC, they are raising the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP flag on Opening Night. The festivities are being spread out.

I don't get the break in tradition.

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 11:42 AM
There's always a HUGE attendence drop-off after opening night. So they want to keep it spread out to open the season with sell-outs across the board.

So, people have to take the day off to see it instead of having it on national TV. Unreal. I guess I'll have the flu that day.

I'm sorry but I find this to be craptacular.

ChiSoxGirl
12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
So, people have to take the day off to see it instead of having it on national TV. Unreal. I guess I'll have the flu that day.

I get two personal days per school year. The first went for the Ticker Tape Parade. The second has already been allocated for Opening Day, which has since been moved to a Sunday night, so it's now allocated for the second game of the season. Gotta see that ring ceremony in person! :cool:

oeo
12-12-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm sure that's exactly why...

This has been known for at least three weeks by now. There is a sticky at the top of the Sox Clubhouse which has the schedule change and I believe it also contains this information, as well. Besides...opening day was originally supposed to be on a Monday anyway, which means you would have had to take off work anyway. Some people just love to complain...

Baby Fisk
12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Come on, I'd break a non-critical limb if it meant I got off of work that day. How many times in your lifetime has a ring ceremony happened? FAKE THE FLU!

Shakey Bonez
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
wow oeo, look at all your posts, you must be the smartest man alive... Look at attendence numbers for almost ANY team w/ regards to opening day vs. the next day. Christ the Royals almost sell out opening day. It's a reason to get the place packed for the second game

Flight #24
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
YES!!!! Shoutout to Brooks for thinking of those of us with the "Double Play Plan"!!!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Tekijawa
12-12-2005, 11:52 AM

$$$

The Deacon
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
$$$

Exactly.

SoxFan78
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM

What tradition? This is the first time the Sox have won the world series in 88 years. I think its a great idea to spread out the festivities. Especially now since I have tickets to game 2!

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 12:11 PM
$$$

I know it.

BeviBall!
12-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm sure that's exactly why...

This has been known for at least three weeks by now. There is a sticky at the top of the Sox Clubhouse which has the schedule change and I believe it also contains this information.

This is true but I heard it on the radio for the first time today. The sticky also mentions somethihng for game 3 in the series.

Realist
12-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I go to the opener every year. 2006 is going to be a blast because of the flag raising ceremony. I'm glad that the people going to the second game of the season get to have a memorable time too instead of only 40,000 people getting a chance to see something really special, now there's a chance that 80,000 people get the chance.

I'm not greedy. Spread the good times around.

Pulaski
12-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Back to back sellouts!

oeo
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
wow oeo, look at all your posts, you must be the smartest man alive...
:?:

Part of message boards is not always agreeing, everyone has their own opinion. Since my opinion is wrong...wouldn't that make you the smartest man alive; since you always have to be right?

You don't have to take it personally because I didn't agree with what you said.

skottyj242
12-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm sure Fenway will be able to answer this but didn't the Red Sox wait until like their second homestand last year to do the ring ceremony just to do it in front of the Yankees?

oeo
12-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm sure Fenway will be able to answer this but didn't the Red Sox wait until like their second homestand last year to do the ring ceremony just to do it in front of the Yankees?

I think their first homestand was against the Yankees, they did it on the day of their Home Opener I believe. They also started the season at Yankee Stadium the week before, so that's probably what you're thinking of.

Steelrod
12-12-2005, 01:23 PM
I guess if our box seats were $110-$125 like Fenway and Yankee Stadium, they can be less particular. I for one are greatful that our tickets are relatively reasonable for the World Champions.
Remember that the consumer pays for the product. We bitched for years about not minding paying, but wanted a representative team. Well, I'll tell you, we have the World Champions, yet our tickets are in the middle of the pack. Not a bad deal. If you are looking to compare, go no further than across town! It's a pleasure to pay to watch the White Sox. Of course if we don't do it again, you can bet that the complainers will be out again, since they never left!

soxfanreggie
12-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Gotta help pay for PK somehow...I do agree with the 80,000 fans being able to participate instead of the 40,000...however I would say that it is more like 60,000 fans since there will probably be a lot of repeats for Day 2.

Tekijawa
12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Ring Ceremony? Are they giving Royce a Statue? I know we got Roberto Alomar back in the deal but I don't think he was a bigger figure than Frank! Reinsdorf must have really liked that kid! I wonder how they'll pose the statue?

tacosalbarojas
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Ring Ceremony? Are they giving Royce a Statue? I know we got Roberto Alomar back in the deal but I don't think he was a bigger figure than Frank! Reinsdorf must have really liked that kid! I wonder how they'll pose the statue?Met cap or Warthog cap?

gowhitesox
12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
We haven't hoisted a new World Championship banner in 88 years White Sox fans have waited a long long time for that. I don't think the players will mind waiting another day or so for their rings.

itsnotrequired
12-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Gotta help pay for PK somehow...I do agree with the 80,000 fans being able to participate instead of the 40,000...however I would say that it is more like 60,000 fans since there will probably be a lot of repeats for Day 2.

I know I'll be a repeat...:cool:

peeonwrigley
12-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I think it impolite to rub it in Cleveland's face 2 games in a row.

pudge
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Gotta help pay for PK somehow..

Right on... do you guys want a competitive team or not? The Sox are just trying to get the most out of their championship, that's one of the great benefits of winning a title, you can build off of it and have a big attendance windfall the following season.

TheKittle
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
In 2003 the Angels opened up on a Sunday. Sunday they raised their WS flag. The second game was Tuesday and they got their rings that day. So it's not the White Sox who broke tradition.

soxfanreggie
12-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Yeah, we aren't like the Yankees where our owners are going to open up their own wallets and shell out millions. While I won't buy the $450 seats, I understand that stuff needs to be done to raise money. High parking prices, increasing ticket prices, etc. have caused me to cut down on my trips to the Cell, but when I'm in Florida, my parents cover everything for when the Sox play the D-Rays.

DaBears
12-12-2005, 04:42 PM

If they didnt change the schedule to begin with, you wouldve had to take off work to go to opening day too....now at least you dont have to take of work for one of the 1st 2 games.

anewman35
12-12-2005, 05:20 PM

I think it's a good thing that it'll be before a game covered by WGN or Comcast, and not by ESPN. I could totally see ESPN not showing the whole thing, or making stupid comments all through it. That shouldn't be a problem with the local broadcast.

doublem23
12-12-2005, 05:26 PM
This has been known for at least three weeks by now. There is a sticky at the top of the Sox Clubhouse which has the schedule change and I believe it also contains this information, as well. Besides...opening day was originally supposed to be on a Monday anyway, which means you would have had to take off work anyway. Some people just love to complain...

Seriously.

"I can't believe the Sox would dare schedule their celebration of a World Series title and not check to make sure it fit in with mine first." :angry:

Oh well... It beats the old Royce Clayton v. Jose Valentin threads we used to have.

SoxFan78
12-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I think it's a good thing that it'll be before a game covered by WGN or Comcast, and not by ESPN. I could totally see ESPN not showing the whole thing, or making stupid comments all through it. That shouldn't be a problem with the local broadcast.

No doubt. I could see if the ring cermony was on ESPN and Blowhard Berman was announcing.

Berman: Thank you for tuning in to ESPN sunday night baseball. Well last season could be remembered for two reasons. First and foremost, the Boston Red Sox dream to repeat was ended. People in beantown cried in their chodwa as they could not repeat. The other was the incredible play of the Cleveland Indians in the second half. Argueably the best team in the Majors. Well we have the Indians here for you tonight opening up the Major League Baseball season. Right now the Chicago AL team is receiving their rings, they had to wait some time to get those rings, at least one year later as the Boston Red Sox

hellenicsoxfan
12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I just purchased my Double Play (weekend games) split season package which has game 2 included, so I'm happy. The Hit & Run (weekday games) package includes game 1 and they get to see the raising of the banner. My guess for the splitting of the ceremonies is that the Sox wanted to be able to include a big early season incentive in each of the split plans to make them equally attractive.

TomBradley72
12-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I just purchased my Double Play (weekend games) split season package which has game 2 included, so I'm happy. The Hit & Run (weekday games) package includes game 1 and they get to see the raising of the banner. My guess for the splitting of the ceremonies is that the Sox wanted to be able to include a big early season incentive in each of the split plans to make them equally attractive.

Exactly...it's a great way for the WSox to help all of their season ticket holders share in the celebration. Go on the WSox web site and see what's available right now if you want to buy either of the 27 game plans...way down in the corners in the 100 level/sold out in the 200 level/around 1B/3B in the 500 level...by the time Opening Day comes around and the Ozzie Plans have been on sale for 3+ months, and individual tix have been on sale for 2+ months...we're looking at 30,000+ for pretty much every game of the year before the season has even started.

Hitmen77
12-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I think having the Ring ceremony on 4/4 is a great idea. Not everyone is going to be able to make it to Opening Day.

chisoxmike
12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Come on, I'd break a non-critical limb if it meant I got off of work that day. How many times in your lifetime has a ring ceremony happened? FAKE THE FLU!

B.S.! You can't take off every day off of work and school. It would be nice, but not everybody can. Opening day is on a Sunday night. That is perfect to hold the ceremonies, like it is normally done.

Realist
12-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Exactly...it's a great way for the WSox to help all of their season ticket holders share in the celebration. Go on the WSox web site and see what's available right now if you want to buy either of the 27 game plans...way down in the corners in the 100 level/sold out in the 200 level/around 1B/3B in the 500 level...by the time Opening Day comes around and the Ozzie Plans have been on sale for 3+ months, and individual tix have been on sale for 2+ months...we're looking at 30,000+ for pretty much every game of the year before the season has even started.

That place is gonna be a mad house all summer long.

itsnotrequired
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM

Ahmen to that!:gulp:

I love it when that place is filled up...

TomBradley72
12-12-2005, 09:49 PM

All spring long too...how weird will it be to be at a weekday/night game in April...and have place rockin'? :gulp:

pearso66
12-12-2005, 11:42 PM
B.S.! You can't take off every day off of work and school. It would be nice, but not everybody can. Opening day is on a Sunday night. That is perfect to hold the ceremonies, like it is normally done.

No you can't take off every day, but 4/4 is only 1 day. I'm glad they are having it Tuesday, as I will be able to go to it.