PDA

View Full Version : Lost bet or lack of originiality?

rdivaldi
12-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Speeding along the Edens a couple of weeks ago I came upon this vehicle with a surprising wheel cover. Risking life and limb I pulled out my handly cell phone camera and got close enough to snap this photo. I can't decide what would drive this person to put that on their vehicle. Any opinions?

MUsoxfan
12-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Damn, I was hoping nobody from WSI spotted my truck!

RadioheadRocks
12-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Hehhehheh, I know what you mean.

Slight sidebar to the topic, but it's another one of those things that I just don't get: how about those bumperstickers that say "UNLESS YOU'RE A HEMORRHOID, GET OFF MY ASS!"??? Never understood that one... like who in their right mind would WANT a hemorrhoid??? I'm thinking the message would be better if it went something like... "UNLESS YOUR NAME IS CHARMIN, GET OFF MY ASS!!!", but that's just my humble opinion. :D:

The Critic
12-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Wow, that's stupid.
Given that Don't Stop Believin' was firmly attached to the White Sox drive to the World Championship, it's doubly stupid to try to co-opt the phrase for the other team in town.
Jeez, at least get your OWN lame "classic rock" song....

rdivaldi
12-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Wow, that's stupid.Given that Don't Stop Believin' was firmly attached to the White Sox drive to the World Championship, it's doubly stupid to try to co-opt the phrase for the other team in town.Jeez, at least get your OWN lame "classic rock" song....
Exactly, I still can't believe that someone could be that pathetic to use the same theme that we used. Then again, we are talking about Cub fans...

RadioheadRocks
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Or maybe in their case it's the Olivia Newton-John song with the same title that barely scraped the Top 30 in 1976!!! LOL
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000G6DS.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00000G6DS/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/002-0612232-4422418?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=music)

NonetheLoaiza
12-12-2005, 01:42 AM
or that Cubs fan got that around 2003 when there was a glimmer of hope...

The Critic
12-12-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm still fond of "In Dusty We Trusty" and "How's THAT For Starters?".
Those both worked out SO well.
:D:

IlliniSox4Life
12-12-2005, 07:06 AM
I would hope that it's a lost bet.

Maybe it was vandalized?

Maybe it's a cubs fan who for some reason thinks that he is shaming the sox by putting the song associated with our championship on the wrigley board?

Professor
12-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Maybe he is in severe denial and he believes it was actually the cubs that won? But then again, all cubs fans are in denial...

MarySwiss
12-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Why are you guys surprised? When did Cubs/Cubs fans ever do anything original? :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
12-12-2005, 10:50 AM
You should have run him off the road.

mccoydp
12-12-2005, 11:01 AM
It's probably the guy (from the picture that a lot of people use in their posts) that's giving the thumbs-up in front of the Wrigley Field collage.

DumpJerry
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Why are you guys surprised? When did Cubs/Cubs fans ever do anything original? :cool:
We know the Blue Organization is incapable of original thought from the top on down to their fan base.

Maybe this goober believes it will help the Flubs win it next year thinking it was the song and not outstanding pitching, fielding and timely hitting (all foreign concepts to Flub fans) that got the Sox the trophy.....

Deuce
12-12-2005, 11:18 AM
:woo-woo

"That's my woo-woo wagon!"

SOXPHILE
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
This is the same fanbase that thinks that the Cubs are the first and only team Harry Caray ever broadcast for, and the tradition of Him singing during the 7th inning stretch originated at Wrigley.

Exit_Only
12-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Speeding along the Edens a couple of weeks ago I came upon this vehicle with a surprising wheel cover. Risking life and limb I pulled out my handly cell phone camera and got close enough to snap this photo. I can't decide what would drive this person to put that on their vehicle. Any opinions?

I thought it was original. I'd get a laugh seeing that thing on the road. My guess is it's a Sox fan burning Cubs fans. "Don't stop believing" isn't just the Sox's 2005 World Championship theme song, but it's also ripping on naive Cubs fans by telling them not to stop believing in a team that is nearing a century of failure.

TheDarkGundam
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
I think it's either
A. A cub fan who thinks he's mocking the Sox by stealing their song
B. A cub fan who is really stupid and doesn't know we used that song
C. Just a stupid cub fan.
I think if it was a Sox fan's car, the message would say "Go Sox" or something.

Hendu
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Holy crap. That dude lives (or used to live) a few blocks away from me. I walked by his truck, parked a couple blocks north of our place, on the way to the subway 5 days a week. Needless to say, I wanted to puke.

The don't Stop Believing has been on there since I first walked by his truck in early '04, so it's not like he's ripping off the Sox theme. But I'm surprised he hasn't changed it yet :cool:

Edited to say: In reference to the question, lack of originality. Mystery solved.

fed ex 4 pasqua
12-12-2005, 09:12 PM
My girlfriend was so ticked off seeing this car always parked on Augusta that we made a trip to granstand for a world championship bumpersticker. In the dead of night, about three weeks ago, she stuck it right over the red marquee part of the tire cover. It was gone when I drove by a few days later. She still gets irked by that tire cover, so keep your eyes peeled...

Hendu
12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
My girlfriend was so ticked off seeing this car always parked on Augusta that we made a trip to granstand for a world championship bumpersticker. In the dead of night, about three weeks ago, she stuck it right over the red marquee part of the tire cover. It was gone when I drove by a few days later. She still gets irked by that tire cover, so keep your eyes peeled...
:rolling:
Awesome. My wife wanted to put a Sox sticker on his marquee too, but I told her that it's better to leave it because it shows how lame Flubs fans are.

C-Dawg
12-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Its ironic how the Sox latched onto the "Don't Stop Believin" song in the same season the Cubs used the "Believe" slogan (at least on those silly blue wristbands). At least the Sox were about 1000 times more successful with THEIR efforts this year.

Look for the Cubs to try a new catch-phrase next year. Perhaps "Whimper".