PDA

View Full Version : Ad campaign question

Two By Four
12-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Okay Sox fans I have another question. I am still working on the new ad campaign and need a good hardcore Sox fan question. So here's my question...

Imagine two 50 year-old Sox fans are having a conversation in their local bar, they are arguing over a Sox question, one that two 50 year olds would be debating. That arguement would be over soemthing that is really unaswerable, like who is the best Sox player ever (but not that obvious, something only two life long fans would know or even care about)?

What might that question be? Any help would be appreciated and as always, thanks.

RichFitztightly
12-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Was it better before they had flavored churros? That's the first thing that popped into my head.

lths06
12-11-2005, 10:53 PM
What the best Sox promotion is (i.e. Elvis Day)
Who was the best Sox hitter (i.e. Joe Jackson, Big Frank)
Favorite thing about the Cell (i.e. left-field shower, fan deck)

lths06
12-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Another one : favorite White Sox moment (i.e. the roof-shot, Frank's 400th homer...)

CPditka
12-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Okay Sox fans I have another question. I am still working on the new ad campaign and need a good hardcore Sox fan question. So here's my question...

Imagine two 50 year-old Sox fans are having a conversation in their local bar, they are arguing over a Sox question, one that two 50 year olds would be debating. That arguement would be over soemthing that is really unaswerable, like who is the best Sox player ever (but not that obvious, something only two life long fans would know or even care about)?

What might that question be? Any help would be appreciated and as always, thanks.

Pitching Wins Championships, No Defense Wins Championships?
Disco Demolition Night was better, no Sox playing in shorts was better?
Old Comiskey Looked better bricked, No Better White-Washed?
Jimbos is better, No McCudy's was Better?
WhiteSoxInteractive.com is better, No Soxtalk.com is better.
Hawk is better, No Rooney (Harry Carry maybe) was better?

Chisox003
12-11-2005, 11:03 PM
-Who the best vendor is...(I'll gladly participate in that one...) :cool:

-Favorite song played at the park...(I think it'd be funny to see two middle aged men debating over "R-O-W-D-I-E that's the way we spell rowdy" and some other song played during games...)

-Favorite feature at the Cell (Fan Deck, new world series flags, Fundamentals, other unique spots throughout the park)

SOXintheBURGH
12-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Guy 1:"I say Howry sucked more!"

Guy 2:"And I say Scott Eyre sucked more!"

Wade Boggs: "Pitt the Elder!"

Jjav829

Who is the better base stealer; Scott Podsednik, Rudy Law or Tim Raines?

Daver
Appling over Louie? you have got to be kidding me.

Appling was the Sox.

What? Louie led the team to the series, along with Nellie.

Take it from there.

FielderJones
Something about the South Side Hitmen. I was 22 that summer (51 now). Until this season, that was the most fun I had watching the Sox. I must have gone to 30 games that summer with my friends.

IggyD
12-11-2005, 11:06 PM
What is more convenient?

The Old troughs or the current urinals

Rgilliam32
12-11-2005, 11:07 PM
twobyfour, while I dont want to say your idea isnt good, since i have seen some of your work, but i think it would be a better idea to have a younger "the Cell" sox fan, possibly having his first beer with his father, who argues about his beliefs that old comiskey and the teams and players that played there are superior.

just an suggestion!!!

Two By Four
I was 22 that summer (51 now).
That's exactly what I need. What would you argue about?

Banix12
Was it better before they had flavored churros? That's the first thing that popped into my head.

And that one made me think of "were the Egg Rolls better at the old park or the new park?" (personally i go old park).

4th Gen. Sox Fan
12-11-2005, 11:09 PM
-Who was the greatest manger
-Which park was better Comiskey or USCF
-Who was the best owner
-What was the best Ad Campaign
-What was the best team that never won it all

VivaOzzie
Favorite Old Comiskey beer vendor?
Favorite old-school South Side bar? (I like beer)
Best Sox knuckleballer?
Best Sox double-play combo? (one could maybe even argue for Uribe+Iguchi, to get people excited to watch them next year)
Craziest Bill Veeck shannanigan?

Is this for your job? If so, wow I envy you! Good luck :gulp:

Two By Four
What is more convenient?

The Old troughs or the current urinals
You are right, but I have already covered the young Sox fans spots and your idea of Father and Son arguing is still a consideration. I just need to get insdie the head of the old Sox fan. I have spent the last year reading everything I can about the old Sox, but growing up in Texas I was not a Sox fan back then. And besides no one can argue as well as the guy that was there.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to respond to the father son question, "I think it would be a better idea to have a younger "the Cell" sox fan, possibly having his first beer with his father..." Must of hit the wrong button.

Two By Four
12-11-2005, 11:10 PM
-What was the best Ad Campaign
Funny...

IggyD
12-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Who were better...the South Side Hitmen of the 70's or the current Hitmen?

FielderJones
12-11-2005, 11:31 PM
That's exactly what I need. What would you argue about?

Better slugger, Zisk or Gamble?
Better pitcher, Barrios or Stone?
Did Bob Lemon have the horses to win?
Was Alan Bannister the worst shortstop in Sox history?

TornLabrum
12-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Who made the more spectacular plays at short: Aparicio or Uribe? Heck, throw in Ozzie, too, maybe a third character horns in with that one upon overhearing the two arguing.

Who was better in left field, Minnie or Pods? (Also good base stealers.)

Could Dave Stewart (A's) hold Buehrle's jockstrap? (Fans in 1990 will get that.)

Whatever happened to "White Sox Fried Chicken"?

Bobby Jenks or Bobby Thigpen?

Billy Pierce (whom I saw today) or Mark Buehrle?

Shay Torrent or Nancy Faust?

Jack Drees or Hawk Harrelson?

Picnic Area (old Comiskey) or Patio?

Centerfield Bleachers or Fan Deck?

SOXintheBURGH
12-11-2005, 11:45 PM
The only problem with comparing any of the current players to an older player is that the discussion ends with the World Championship card.. so you have to use things like Hal said, ie; "Who made better plays at short?" as opposed to "Who was better, the SouthSide Hitmen or the 05 team?"

Two By Four
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM
The only problem with comparing any of the current players to an older player is that the discussion ends with the World Championship card.. so you have to use things like Hal said, ie; "Who made better plays at short?" as opposed to "Who was better, the SouthSide Hitmen or the 05 team?"

Good point.

rwcescato
12-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Which promotion did you like better over the years? Elvis night, Classic Rock night, or Greek night with the belly dancers on top of the ticket booths?
Rich:bandance:

Banix12
12-12-2005, 12:24 AM

maybe that can be used to an advantage though. Of the top of my head, I can picture it...

Guy 1: The 83 team was way better than the 93 team. If they were playing in 93 they would have killed Toronto.

Guy 2: Are you kidding, neither of those teams can hold a candle to the 59 squad. Fox, Aparicio, Early Wynn, Billy Pierce!

Guy 1: You are out of your mind. I'll take the hitmen over those guys.

Guy 2: Hitmen didn't even make the playoffs.

Guy 1: Still would take them over 59, but i still say 83 was the greatest sox team ever!

Guy 2: 59!

An guy reaches both of his arms between the two guys, grabbing a couple beers from the bartender.

Mystery guy: You guys are both wrong.

They look up to see that the guy is one of the 2005 white sox (take your pick). They are stunned as he walks away from the bar and heads back to a table.

Guy 1: Could the the 2005 white sox beat the 27 Yankees?

Guy 2: Aw hell yeah.

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Billy Pierce (whom I saw today) or Mark Buehrle?

I was gonna use this one, I swear to God!

How about green seats vs. blue seats? No, I'm serious. Maybe you could phrase the discussion such that you don't even know WHAT they're talking about until you get to the end of the argument, right before the "2006 White Sox" part.

SMO
:gulp:

HomeFish
12-12-2005, 12:35 AM
If you're going for the 1977 team, pick two players from that team that are no longer remembered today and have mediocre, but not terrible, stats. And an argument over who you would rather have batting in the bottom of the 9th with the Sox needing a home-run.

The commercial would really be great if Scott Podsednik were in the background trying to get in on the conversation and they kept ignoring him.

TheDarkGundam
12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
maybe that can be used to an advantage though. Of the top of my head, I can picture it...

Guy 1: The 83 team was way better than the 93 team. If they were playing in 93 they would have killed Toronto.

Guy 2: Are you kidding, neither of those teams can hold a candle to the 59 squad. Fox, Aparicio, Early Wynn, Billy Pierce!

Guy 1: You are out of your mind. I'll take the hitmen over those guys.

Guy 2: Hitmen didn't even make the playoffs.

Guy 1: Still would take them over 59, but i still say 83 was the greatest sox team ever!

Guy 2: 59!

An guy reaches both of his arms between the two guys, grabbing a couple beers from the bartender.

Mystery guy: You guys are both wrong.

They look up to see that the guy is one of the 2005 white sox (take your pick). They are stunned as he walks away from the bar and heads back to a table.

Guy 1: Could the the 2005 white sox beat the 27 Yankees?

Guy 2: Aw hell yeah.

That's the one to use. I love it! :cool:

brick1119
12-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Ribbie v. Roobarb (sp?) is one for the ages! :redneck

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2005, 03:54 PM

look at my sig, not a bad ad campaign huh?
you can also spin this in a different direction. pure baseball can be a knock on all those guys accused of steroids. have like scotty pods in a commericial with highlights of him stealing bases, running down liners, etc., meanwhile, he's talking about never being accused of using roids and how he made it to the majors because of hardwork, never give up mentality, and having a big heart. and then you end the commericial with "Scott Podsednik; Pure Speed. White Sox Baseball; Pure Baseball". SICK! I KNOWWW! lol If you're looking to hire new peeps to help out, I'm your guy, I'm into marketing :cool:

but back to your question; (originally was about best team ever, but just saw it was taken) how about a debate over most dramatic opening day ever? would be a good lead up to the 2006 opening NIGHT game and it being the first baseball game of the year.

Tekijawa
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Piersol/Hawk or HARRY CARY?

:cool:

99% of Cubs fans wouldn't have a clue what the actual argument would be about... it would seem like a Cubs Sox thing to them.

CHIsoxNation
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Who would win in the best of 7 series; The 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox or 25 mini Ditkas?

:D:

Shafe72
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Zisk/Gamble?

Luzinski/Fisk?

Ventura/Thomas?

Thome/Konerko?

argument progresses decade by decade...quality of pitchers each duo faced...impact on pennant race/post-season...

with a palpable pause when the two 50-year-olds get to the Thome/Konerko

"time will tell" appears on the screen...

IlliniSox4Life
12-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Who would win in the best of 7 series; The 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox or 25 mini Ditkas?

:D:

I think that's an awesome idea. Have em sitting there decked out in Bears and Sox gear comparing the 85 Bears to the 05 Sox. Ditka to Ozzie. I'm sure it'd be hard to get the use of the Bears name and logos, but it would still be an awesome set of commercials. Just a bunch of different superfan skits.

na-na-na-na
12-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Hoyt, Bannister, or Dotson?

bestkosher
12-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I can see this one of two ways. One they could be arguing about the things Bill Veeck started and then were copied into Wrigley, to work with the whole Sox Pride us vs them campaign. Or they could be arguing over utility infielders. I am not fifty so my knowledge does not go back that far but compaing Craig Grebeck to Tony Graffino to Pablo Ozuna could be a possible example. Or the two of them arguing if the sox still played in old Comiskey how many roof shots would Konerko, and Thome have at the end of the season.