PDA

View Full Version : at a bookstore in Cambridge, MA

Fenway
12-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Doing some Christmas shopping tonight and hit the Harvard Coop bookstore and look what is front and center in thir baseball section.

So i wound up doing some shopping for me :smile:

Quick comments.....Impressed especially with the Tribune book. Jerome Holtzman's intro would never let on that the book is published by the owners of the Flubs.

Sun-Times? Jay ate crow

Nice to see the books in Boston

peeonwrigley
12-11-2005, 02:29 AM
To anyone who has bought/read one or both; is there a discernable difference between the two? I mean, is it worth it to have both or is one clearly superior and enough to own?

Fenway
12-11-2005, 07:45 AM
To anyone who has bought/read one or both; is there a discernable difference between the two? I mean, is it worth it to have both or is one clearly superior and enough to own?

I would suggest getting both as the papers used their own photographers so the pictures are different. They both tell a great story :smile:

The title of Holtzman's piece was Cubs town? Think again!!! and in it he chastises Cubs fans for not watching as they missed all the fun.

Brian26
12-11-2005, 05:47 PM
I've written a couple of reviews about all of the books. The Sun-Times book, IMHO, is slightly better. The Trib book is loaded with more photos and less written-word. Both books pale in comparison to the Sporting News softcover "Pride of Chicago".

Baby Fisk
12-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I've written a couple of reviews about all of the books. The Sun-Times book, IMHO, is slightly better. The Trib book is loaded with more photos and less written-word. Both books pale in comparison to the Sporting News softcover "Pride of Chicago".
What he said. But really, GET THEM ALL.

The Critic
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I would suggest getting both as the papers used their own photographers so the pictures are different. They both tell a great story :smile:

The title of Holtzman's piece was Cubs town? Think again!!! and in it he chastises Cubs fans for not watching as they missed all the fun.

I don't get that last part. Why would it be "fun" for a Cub fan to watch the White Sox win it all? I don't think many of us would find it fun to see them win it all. I know a bunch of Cub fans who watched the Series because they're baseball fans, but almost to a man they were rooting for Houston. "Lesser of two evils" was the way one guy put it.

DumpJerry
12-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't get that last part. Why would it be "fun" for a Cub fan to watch the White Sox win it all? I don't think many of us would find it fun to see them win it all. I know a bunch of Cub fans who watched the Series because they're baseball fans, but almost to a man they were rooting for Houston. "Lesser of two evils" was the way one guy put it.
Two years ago I was 5 outs from having to purchase a Yankees uniform to wear during the World Series. There would have been nothing "fun" about the Flubs being in the World Series in '03.

As I look around now at the parade, the high number of people wearing Sox clothing all over the town I think about how I would have felt if it was the Flubs and not us. I would have jumped off a tall building. Personally, I have more respect for the true blue Flub fan who gives me a hard time about the Sox than the bandwagon jumper who cannot pronounce Crede's last name.

Fenway
12-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I think Holtzman was writing in code. What he meant to say was

The closest Cubs fans will ever get to the World Series are the games being played 8.2 miles south :D:

mweflen
12-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Personally, I have more respect for the true blue Flub fan who gives me a hard time about the Sox than the bandwagon jumper who cannot pronounce Crede's last name.

Hey, he was in that band, right? :redneck