PDA

View Full Version : Last Game At Old Comiskey - 9/30/90

Madvora
12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I just got done watching an old tape of the last game at Old Comiskey from 1990. I thought I'd share the memories.

Starting Lineup
1. Ivan Calderon - LF
2. Lance Johnson - CF
3. Carlton Fisk - C
4. Frank Thomas - 1B
5. Dan Pasqua - DH
6. Robin Ventura - 3B
7. Sammy Sosa - RF
8. Scotty Fletcher - 2B
9. Ozzie Guillen - SS
SP - Jack McDowell

Sox win 2-1 against Seattle.
Thigpen earns his 57th save of the season
Bottom of the 6th - Lance Johnson leads off with a triple, Thomas drives him home with a single to center and Pasqua follows that up with a triple to left field, which takes a bad hop past Ken Griffey Sr.
Seattle features a young Omar Vizquel, Jay Buhner, Griffey Jr, Tino Martinez and Randy Johnson (who plays the old ball on the string trick with Sox fans over the top of the dugout)
Sosa strikes out a couple times and bobbles 3 balls in RF
Wimpy mentions how Frank Thomas has a great chance of making this team next year
Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, George Wendt and John Candy in attendance. John Candy is invited up to the booth with Hawk and Wimpy and does a little play by play. Wimpy mentions how he watches SCTV episodes at night and is not aware that the show has been off the air since 1981.
Jack McDowell gets a runner on 1st base out on the famous fake to 3rd and throw to 1st pickoff move
The Oak Ridge Boys sing the national anthem. Styx sing Take Me Out to the ballgame.
Andy The Clown is in attendance.
Jerry Hairston JR (14 years old at the time) is shown in the stands holding up a "Naperville - YES" SportsChannel sign.
Fisk goes 0-4, but receives a curtain call from the fans. After Fisk reappears and goes back to the dugout he slams his helmet down and is super pissed with his performance.
Harold Reynolds grounds to Fletcher to end the game.
One commercial break features a great Robin Ventura and Barry Jones ad for Manny's Clothing. Absolutely hilarious.

hi im skot
12-10-2005, 04:08 PM
wow...what does one have to do to get a copy of this game?

jjmlmg13
12-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I was at the last night game at Old Comiskey. I was only 8 years old but I still remember the fireworks. I remember people pulling paint chips off the walls of the tunnels on the way out to take a piece of history with them.

C-Dawg
12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
wow...what does one have to do to get a copy of this game?

Yeah I'd kill for a copy too... I taped it live the first time and then my idiot brother taped over it some years later.

Also, remember shortly before the new park opened, they re-broadcast the final game, and also the July 1, 1990 Andy Hawkins game.

32nd&Wallace
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah I'd kill for a copy too... I taped it live the first time and then my idiot brother taped over it some years later.

Also, remember shortly before the new park opened, they re-broadcast the final game, and also the July 1, 1990 Andy Hawkins game.Anyone remembers the Kenny McReynolds interviews? Jerome Holtzman couldn't wait to get away from him. How about Al Janis and those huge eyebrows?

Huisj
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I know that my dad has an audio cassette somewhere of the last inning of that game that he taped off the radio. A bit of static on it, because we were taping it from Lansing, MI, but pretty cool to have nonetheless.

That's hilarious about Thomas having a "chance" to make the team? ha

32nd&Wallace
12-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Remember the I'll be There Ads, for the 1991 season. THere is one person I am trying to figure out who they are. There was MJ, Steve Dahl, Bozo, Johnny Red Kerr, The Oak Ridge Boys, but one other person who looks like a football player who I cannot figure out

Parrothead
12-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I was at the game too. Fireworks? It was a day game. However, the last Saturday Night game was the fireworks I have ever seen.

RadioheadRocks
12-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Remember the I'll be There Ads, for the 1991 season. THere is one person I am trying to figure out who they are. There was MJ, Steve Dahl, Bozo, Johnny Red Kerr, The Oak Ridge Boys, but one other person who looks like a football player who I cannot figure out

I remember those... they were actually from the 1990 season, celebrating "the last season in historic Comiskey Park... Years from now, you'll say you were there!"

I remember they carried the celebrity campaign over into 1991 ("Brand New, Old Fashioned Fun") and used Ray Meyer, Laurie Metcalf (from Roseanne) and Dr. Lester Fisher from the Lincoln Park Zoo, among others.

the_valenstache
12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
One of the games I was proudest to attend, even if I was only 8 at the time. Also, I was lucky enough to be at the first game at New Comiskey (as it was called), but had the misfortune of actually watching that ridiculous game.

TheKittle
12-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Ticket stub from the last game at Comiskey Park. check

Program from the last game at Comiskey Park. check

Video from the last game at Comiskey Park. Not checked but would love to get it.

Lip Man 1
12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
I have the final night game (via WGN-TV) as well as the final game period (Seattle TV Network) as well as the audio cast of the final game.

To me the Saturday game was better. The Sox black pinstriped uniforms looked glowing under the arc lights of the old ballpark. If you closed your eyes you could think it was back in the Golden Age from the 50's through 1967.

Lip

Madvora
12-10-2005, 06:22 PM
To me the Saturday game was better. The Sox black pinstriped uniforms looked glowing under the arc lights of the old ballpark. If you closed your eyes you could think it was back in the Golden Age from the 50's through 1967.

Lip
That's one thing I was wondering about. They had a highlight clip from the 1990 season they played after the game and they were wearing the red, white and blue script uniforms. Didn't they kind of start wearing the black and white ones just for a few of the last games of 1990?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that this was the Sox 93rd win of the season and they won the season series against every single AL West team that year, but still finished 2nd to the A's! Too bad there wasn't a wild card back then.

gowhitesox
12-10-2005, 06:48 PM
I remember the final game at old Comiskey, I was in New Jersey at my cousins house and watching a baseball game on TV and they showed the final score, I was happy to see the Sox send the old ball park out in style. I will never forget the first game at New Comiskey, I watched it on TV (at least part of it) I gave up on that fiasco early. A 16-0 loss to the Tigers.

SOX LA Mikey
12-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Put me down for a copy of that tape too,

I couldn't get a ticket, as it turned out I left Chicago soon
after that, my main reaon -they're tearing down one of my
favorite places on earth

tebman
12-10-2005, 07:27 PM
My sons and I were at that game. They were 8 and 5 years old at the time, but remember it pretty well today (probably because their old man spent so much time showing them around the park saying, "I was here when...").

I had gotten three reserved grandstand tickets because I was part of a season-ticket-sharing group at the time and as I recall season-ticket holders were entitled to buy one or two tickets to that game. A couple of guys in our ST group had extra tickets, so the boys and I could all go. Glad we did. The only real lowlight was the oppressive police presence at the end of the game -- to this day I don't get it.

Somewhere I have a VHS recording of the game that my wife graciously recorded while we were there. Haven't looked at it for a long time, so I don't know what kind of shape it's in. If anybody would like a copy, PM me and if I can find it I'll be happy to make copies.

It was a bittersweet day.

mike squires
12-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Great thread. I remembre a screamer hit by pasqua that hopped over Griffey Sr.'s mitt rolling to the wall.A beautiful running backhanded cach by Calderon that saved a run and maybe the win. IT was later in the game.A perfect Sosa to Guillen to Ventura relay to naill someone at third.THe Fisk curtain call was great.THe bunt that Fisk pounced on and threw a guy out at second and Guillen just missed the double play. THe guy was actually safe at second though, guillen did the "around the neighborhood" semi tag. I've got most of the pregame stuff and the game but I have no way of making copies.

Huisj
12-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Great thread. I remembre a screamer hit by pasqua that hopped over Griffey Sr.'s mitt rolling to the wall.A beautiful running backhanded cach by Calderon that saved a run and maybe the win. IT was later in the game.A perfect Sosa to Guillen to Ventura relay to naill someone at third.THe Fisk curtain call was great.THe bunt that Fisk pounced on and threw a guy out at second and Guillen just missed the double play. THe guy was actually safe at second though, guillen did the "around the neighborhood" semi tag. I've got most of the pregame stuff and the game but I have no way of making copies.

I think I remember that catch from the radio stuff my dad taped. Something like:

"Oh what a play by Calderon! He reached out over the foul line to make the catch! . . . " but I can't quite remember the rest.

21stcenturySox
12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
That was the year that Eric King had a great first half and started the all star game. Falling off the face of the planet after that.

I went to every weekend game and the best memory from that season was my banner "Yuppie Scum Go Back to Wrigley" which I made for the June Sox-A's series. King won the first game of a 4 game series, but we lost the next 3. BJ (Barry Jones) who won a bunch of games in middle relief a la Cliff Politte did not have it Friday night and we lost 5-3 after losing a 3 to 1 lead in the eighth. Saturday nite Melido Perez gave up seven runs in the first inning. They were just too strong with the stereo steroid bros of McGwire and Canseco.

My buddies and I had front row seats in right field and we gave Canseco the business throughout the series--jabbering at him about his dating Madonna (!) at the time. He gave us the finger Friday nite and the whole right field lower deck saw it--a great badge of honor.

Ray Sons interviewed me (Sun-Times dude) that weekend and the banner made it to Sportscenter and SI. That team was my favorite until this year.

StillMissOzzie
12-11-2005, 01:44 AM
That was the year that Eric King had a great first half and started the all star game. Falling off the face of the planet after that.

I went to every weekend game and the best memory from that season was my banner "Yuppie Scum Go Back to Wrigley" which I made for the June Sox-A's series. King won the first game of a 4 game series, but we lost the next 3. BJ (Barry Jones) who won a bunch of games in middle relief a la Cliff Politte did not have it Friday night and we lost 5-3 after losing a 3 to 1 lead in the eighth. Saturday nite Melido Perez gave up seven runs in the first inning. They were just too strong with the stereo steroid bros of McGwire and Canseco.

My buddies and I had front row seats in right field and we gave Canseco the business throughout the series--jabbering at him about his dating Madonna (!) at the time. He gave us the finger Friday nite and the whole right field lower deck saw it--a great badge of honor.

Ray Sons interviewed me (Sun-Times dude) that weekend and the banner made it to Sportscenter and SI. That team was my favorite until this year.

And welcome to WSI!

SMO
:gulp:

BainesHOF
12-11-2005, 02:55 AM
I have the Sox broadcasts of the last night game and the last game at old Comiskey on DVDs.

BV2005
12-11-2005, 03:53 AM
I was only 6 years old at the time and barley remember the last season at old comisey but if someone has a copy of the game i will glady send a video tape to them if they can make me a copy.

Parrothead
12-11-2005, 06:37 AM

BJ = "the vulture"
EK = forget the nickname but a pitcher with 5 pitches.....one being the knuckler

cubhater
12-11-2005, 07:05 AM
I was fortunate to get through to Ticketmaster when I lived in Florida and scored a ticket for the final game. I sobbed and cried the entire day, from the time I arrived at the ballpark, national anthem, seventh inning stretch and the entire ninth inning. I never wanted to leave after the game and must've been one of the last 100 fans to leave.

The first part of 1991 was painful watching the wrecking ball slowly take down Comiskey. It was like seeing an old friend die and not being able to do anything about it.

ChiSoxIn06
12-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I was there...granted i was only 6 years old but I remember it well. Was my first sox game as well.

robertks61
12-11-2005, 10:31 AM
I was fortunate to buy 2 $5 (face) tickets from a broker for $45 each. Upper deck right field behind a support post. I wouldn't trade that opportunity for anything though. I also took several pictures while at the game.

LongLiveFisk
12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
The first part of 1991 was painful watching the wrecking ball slowly take down Comiskey. It was like seeing an old friend die and not being able to do anything about it.
I know the feeling completely. I have a picture that I took after a '91 game, leaving the park walking northbound (I think from Gate 3 on the west side of the park) towards 35th St and the main wall of the old park where it said "Comiskey Park" was already torn down but the outfield bleachers and scoreboard were still standing. It was strange to see it all opened up like that but halfway torn down. For those of us who had a lot of great memories, it was definitely tough to see.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Ummmm...Eric King never made the All Star Game let alone start it.

The 1990 Sox were represented by Ozzie and Bobby Thigpen.

And yes the Sox started wearing the black pinstriped uniforms the week of the final home stand. They used them against the Twins and Milwaukee just off the top of my head.

Lip

Dick Allen
12-11-2005, 01:16 PM
For that last night game, didn't the Sox have a contest where the winner would turn out the lights for the last time? And didn't some woman who wasn't a Sox fan and didn't even live in the area win the contest? And got roundly booed?

Lip Man 1
12-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Dick:

Everything is true in your statement except for the last part, the booing. She turned the light switch off with Chuck Comiskey III.

Lip

Madvora
12-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Great thread. I remembre a screamer hit by pasqua that hopped over Griffey Sr.'s mitt rolling to the wall.A beautiful running backhanded cach by Calderon that saved a run and maybe the win. IT was later in the game.A perfect Sosa to Guillen to Ventura relay to naill someone at third.
Yeah, the Calderon catch was in the top of the 8th it was outstanding. Super hard shot by Jay Buhner.
Sosa bobbled the ball in RF and threw to Fletcher who actually made the great throw to 3rd. I can't remember the runner, but he hesitated after rounding 2nd.

TheLittleBulldog
12-11-2005, 02:15 PM
I would like to get a copy of the last night game at Comiskey. I remember there was a real cool video montage of the past 40-50 years of White Sox clips, accompanied with a very touching song. Does anyone ele remember this?

Madvora
12-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I would like to get a copy of the last night game at Comiskey. I remember there was a real cool video montage of the past 40-50 years of White Sox clips, accompanied with a very touching song. Does anyone ele remember this?
There were two of them actually. Steve Dahl did one in the pregame and they showed another postgame which was made by someone who worked on the scoreboard staff.

ode to veeck
12-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I've got some transparencies somewhere from the last Sept of old comiskey (the stadium, not the WSI member), some nice wide angle views showing both stadiums and some shots of the BoSox series that month (we flew out for a series that final month), including a few of the brand new to the Sox, big Frank at 1st base

21stcenturySox
12-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Ummmm...Eric King never made the All Star Game let alone start it.

You are correct sir, perhaps some talk of it at the time but he was not. :redface: He did have a great first half.

That was also the year of the turn back the clock game against the Brewers. IIRC (and admittedly my memories of the old park flow together) Robin Yount hit a cycle that day (or that series). I have the photo given away that year from that team--it's way cool.

BTW Harold Reynolds was the last out of that game, Steve Lyons to Big Frank.

(that's how I remember it anyway)

mike squires
12-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Small point but I was thinking it was Fletcher to Lyons. I think Frank was not in the lineup during that 9th inning. I could be wrong but I know Lyons was at first. Frank also was taken out of the game the night they clinched in 93 for something being sore. That guy has had some bad breaks.

Madvora
12-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Small point but I was thinking it was Fletcher to Lyons. I think Frank was not in the lineup during that 9th inning. I could be wrong but I know Lyons was at first. Frank also was taken out of the game the night they clinched in 93 for something being sore. That guy has had some bad breaks.
Correct. Fletcher to Lyons.

soxfanatlanta
12-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Correct. Fletcher to Lyons. I was watching that game on tv from Peoria that day, I got all misty-eyed when I saw Fletcher handle that routine grounder to end an era. Still makes me a bit sad when I think about all of the memories at that ballpark.

cubhater
12-12-2005, 09:02 AM

IIRC, the song was 'In My Life' by the Beatles.

stl_sox_fan
12-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Awesome thread down memory lane! I was sitting in the upper deck in right-center field. My seat was broken apparently from the occupant the night before trying to get a souvenir.

Madvora
12-12-2005, 11:15 AM
IIRC, the song was 'In My Life' by the Beatles.
If only it was that good. The montage was accompanied by a really bad, really cheesy song. Same thing with Steve Dahl's one. Horrible singing, horrible cheap keyboard sounding crap.

tacosalbarojas
12-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I've got to look back at my tape of the game - I don't think I have the whole thing, but I know I've got at least the last few innings. I had tix right behind Seattle's dugout, but don't remember the RJ thing. I consider myself very fortunate to have been at all the games that weekend. I consider myself a little less fortunate to have had the same tickets acorss the street for game one in New Comiskey the following spring.

Back to the last weekend at the old homeland. The fireworks on Saturday were spectacular. Walking out on Sunday, it truly was like losing a friend. There were definitely some tears in people's eyes walking out.

Regarding highlights and montage music: on FOX news, I believe it was, on Monday morning they did a montage of highlights to Sinatra's "There Used To Be A Ballpark".

vegyrex
12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
For that last night game, didn't the Sox have a contest where the winner would turn out the lights for the last time? And didn't some woman who wasn't a Sox fan and didn't even live in the area win the contest? And got roundly booed? I thought Hawk said she was a Cardinals fan.

Madvora
12-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I thought Hawk said she was a Cardinals fan.
The lady wasn't even a baseball fan. From what I remember about it, she said that she just enters every contest she can and she just got lucky on this one.
Hawk did mention that it would have been nice to have a fan of baseball do it, but she won the contest and those were the rules.

grizzbr
12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I was fortunate enough to get 8 seats for the last night game on 9/29/90. As we were walking into the Park down Shields Av. we saw the first souvenier stand selling the new Black SOX hats for $20.00. The mood inside was awesome and the fireworks truly spectacular. I had to leave Chicago on Sunday the 30th to drive the family back up to Minnesota and listened to the game on the radio for awhile.

By the way, I have a VHS tape called "A tribute to Old Comiskey Park" which is narrated by George Wendt. It gives a great history of the SOX and shows highlights of the last game including Rooney's call of the final out.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2005, 07:03 PM
WGN-TV used 'There Used To be A Ballpark' as the montage opener to their broadcast before the start of the final night game on September 29, 1990. Dan Rohn was live at the park and as part of the between innings coverage he'd be a different spots in the park (including one time standing on the roof with the camera pointing towards the infield..). They also had Comiskey Park memories including the title fights and footage of The Beatles running towards the stage (which was around second base...)

Lip

TheLittleBulldog
12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
If only it was that good. The montage was accompanied by a really bad, really cheesy song. Same thing with Steve Dahl's one. Horrible singing, horrible cheap keyboard sounding crap.

Thank you, Greg Kot.

soxinem1
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
I made it to every game that last year, sat in a 12 hour rain delay, watched the Sox get ho-hit and win 4-0, sweep 5 of 6 double headers, Lyons pull his pants down, etc.

I recall Grebeck and Ozzie going b2b off Nolan Ryan, then the old pr*** threw at Little Hurt his next time up.

Sox had three lefties in the pen that year.

I remember Ivan Calderon swinging at ball four with the bases loaded and no one out against the Brewers in pouring rain.

I also taped that game, and do watch it from time to time. I remember watching Al Janis huge eyebrows on the tape as he tried to adlib his way through paying tribute to a park he knew nothing about.

Ivan Calderon gave me one of his bats after the last game, it never saw game action. I still have it.

I remember watching all those dumb horses go on the field, as JR sent the calvalry after us if we took anything. Little did they know I dismanted a seat piece by piece over the last month and have most of it at home!

And I remember the youngest team in the ML that year playing like champions.

Great thread, great memories from that year.

IronFisk
12-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Ah, the memories. Since I was slaving at Purdue, I didn't get into all the festivities as I would have liked. What does stick out are the introductions of the current uni's a few weeks before the finale, and that old fart who won the "lights-out" contest (yeah - right on earlier - she was no baseball fan, just a contest-junkie, and I DO remember the outcry from fans and the media about this). I remember seeing her look absolutely clueless as Charles III helped her figure it out on the podium. What a JOKE! She looked at least 80 years old - probably much older. Seeesh!

Later in 1991, my last memory of the Grand Old Lady happened as I walked by after a game. It was gutwrenching to see a half-razed hulk of a structure you knew so well. Upon leaving, a friend of mine bolted into the demolition zone under the cover of darkness. He found a hole in the fence and went for it - ballz! He disappeared from view, only to emerge a few minutes later with a brick. To THIS day, I regret not joining him!

patbooyah
12-15-2005, 01:18 AM

i was in a white sox ad, once. i think it involved father's day. i'm not sure if it was in 1991, but i know when we did it they also had another one with the guy from the adams family blowing up a train....

Fenway
12-15-2005, 09:36 AM
my program from last day

I'm glad they included Joe Jackson on the cover

credefan24
12-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Great thread, love to read about all the memories.
Does anybody have pictures they took from inside the park that day?

cubhater
12-15-2005, 02:16 PM

I do, but they're from my old 35mm and havn't gotten around to getting them on my puter. I have a great collage made with 20 pics taken from the upper deck behind home plate showing the field and upper decks.

OzzyTrain
12-15-2005, 02:41 PM

I do, we are behind home plate and it says something like, thanks for the memories on the scoreboard. If anyone is interested I could take a pic of it.

They also have special cups if I recall, and we collected about 500 which we still have behind our bar.

HChappasJr
12-15-2005, 02:53 PM

There are quite a few pics in the photo gallery. Go to the "Old Comiskey" link. I have about 4 or 5 on there myself.

Number 9
12-15-2005, 08:32 PM
One of my favorite memories. I live in New Hampshire and was lucky enough to get through by phone the day the tix went on sale. Got two and my wife and I drove out. Got there late Sat afternoon and watched the game that night on tv. I remember running outside to watch the fireworks on an overpass over the expressway. I remember Sox fans in Sox jerseys everywhere, at all hours. I was just thrilled to be in the city with Sox fans. Driving to and parking at the game was interesting. Wouldn't say we were country hicks but it certainly wasn't NH! The area around the park was a little intimidating to us, especially the man with a handgun stuffed in his jeans directing traffic. And the tailgating. We did that at Patriot games but never at Fenway. Just seemed strange. Sat in the bleachers Sunday, had a great time. I wore a 1917 replica jersey and several people offered me a lot of money for it. Not sure why it attracted so much attention, although one offer was tempting. I remember chants under the stands at one point, I couldn't quite make them out but someone walking next to me said it was for Roland Hemond, who was apparently up ahead. I couldn't get a scorecard, all sold out but someone next to us gave me one. One of my prized possessions ever since. That and a picture he took of my wife and I on our camera. I wandered around the Park a couple times during the game while my wife stayed bundled up at our seats. She was cold in the shade that day and someone there gave her a blanket to use. I remember everyone around us taking great care of her. At the time my wife was terminally ill, (and very young at 29). Unfortunately she passed away almost two years to the day.
So, a lot of reasons why that was such a great trip with wonderful memories. I loved that Park, we were fortunate to have seen 7 games there since our first visit in 1987, but will admit it looked real old that day. I have pictures but wouldn't have a clue as to how to get them on my computer. If I ever figure it out I'd love to post them.
Thanks for giving me an opportunity to revisit those memories! And in case any of those people who were so incredible to us are members here, an opportunity to say thanks!! to you all.

patbooyah
12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
my program from last day

i have that program, and the one they used throughout the entire season with "as the sun sets on the baseball palace of the world."

i have them framed and up on my bedroom wall.

CluelessJoe1919
12-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Hit leadoff?

TheKittle
12-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Got a question about the programs during the last series at Old Comiskey.

There was a final game program with Pudge and Ozzie and the ghosts of past White Sox greats.

During that final SERIES, was there a different program for the Sept 28- 29th game?

mike squires
12-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Got a question about the programs during the last series at Old Comiskey.

There was a final game program with Pudge and Ozzie and the ghosts of past White Sox greats.

During that final SERIES, was there a different program for the Sept 28- 29th game?
I'm pretty sure it was the "Sunsets on the Baseball Palace of the World." With a painted pic of the Park with the sun setting in the background.

AZChiSoxFan
12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
One of my favorite memories. I live in New Hampshire and was lucky enough to get through by phone the day the tix went on sale. Got two and my wife and I drove out. Got there late Sat afternoon and watched the game that night on tv. I remember running outside to watch the fireworks on an overpass over the expressway. I remember Sox fans in Sox jerseys everywhere, at all hours. I was just thrilled to be in the city with Sox fans. Driving to and parking at the game was interesting. Wouldn't say we were country hicks but it certainly wasn't NH! The area around the park was a little intimidating to us, especially the man with a handgun stuffed in his jeans directing traffic. And the tailgating. We did that at Patriot games but never at Fenway. Just seemed strange. Sat in the bleachers Sunday, had a great time. I wore a 1917 replica jersey and several people offered me a lot of money for it. Not sure why it attracted so much attention, although one offer was tempting. I remember chants under the stands at one point, I couldn't quite make them out but someone walking next to me said it was for Roland Hemond, who was apparently up ahead. I couldn't get a scorecard, all sold out but someone next to us gave me one. One of my prized possessions ever since. That and a picture he took of my wife and I on our camera. I wandered around the Park a couple times during the game while my wife stayed bundled up at our seats. She was cold in the shade that day and someone there gave her a blanket to use. I remember everyone around us taking great care of her. At the time my wife was terminally ill, (and very young at 29). Unfortunately she passed away almost two years to the day.
So, a lot of reasons why that was such a great trip with wonderful memories. I loved that Park, we were fortunate to have seen 7 games there since our first visit in 1987, but will admit it looked real old that day. I have pictures but wouldn't have a clue as to how to get them on my computer. If I ever figure it out I'd love to post them.
Thanks for giving me an opportunity to revisit those memories! And in case any of those people who were so incredible to us are members here, an opportunity to say thanks!! to you all.

Very nice post. Enjoyed reading it.

AZChiSoxFan
12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
:threadrules:

As someone who never had the pleasure of attending a game at old Comiskey
park (and thinks about that fact constantly), it's great to read the memories that other Sox fans have from the old park.

soxinem1
12-20-2005, 11:51 AM
my program from last day

Not only do I have this one mint, but believe it or not I found two in the park on my way out, and still have em all!! Was always curious on why Baines was never put on the cover.........