PDA

View Full Version : It's starting to happen: selective canonization of certain postseason plays

cheeses_h_rice
12-10-2005, 03:58 PM
While in the midst of burning more postseason games to DVD lately, I've noticed how certain plays are quickly becoming elevated to "touchstone" status in the media highlights of the 2005 postseason. Plays like Pods' Game 2 WS home run, Konerko's Game 2 grand slam, Dye's single up the middle in Game 4, and the final play of Game 4. We've all seen these dozens of times by now.

What gets lost, though, are the plays made *before* these plays, to set up the situation. Right now I just watched Willie Harris single with 2 strikes on him in the 8th inning of Game 4, Pods sacrifice him over to second base with a bunt, and Harris advancing to third base on a fielder's choice. Only then can Dye become the Game 4 hero by singling up the middle.

You could also point to Neal Cotts getting the third out in the 9th inning of Game 2 of the World Series, with a man on second and the crowd reeling, as a big play, too. If the Astros plate that 7th run, Podsednik's home run only ties the game.

Anyone else have other examples? It's just an interesting phenomenon, and one that I knew would happen at some point, but to see this less than 2 months after everything is over is bizarre. It's as if a lot of these plays are just fading into background noise for many people, when their true import is much higher.

RallyBowl
12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
uribe's catch in game 4.

delben91
12-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Cotts' 2 K's in Game 1 of the World Series before Jenks came in to K Bagwell. Pressure packed situation where he needed strikeouts, and Neal got 'em.

RetireWoodys28
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
uribe's catch in game 4.
Once everyone stopped screaming enough to chant anything after the 3rd out at the bar where I watched game 4, it was a solid 60 seconds of, "JUAN UR-I-BE!!!!" Love the fact that his "unconventional approach to SS" came up huge in the last 2 innings.

Huisj
12-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Once everyone stopped screaming enough to chant anything after the 3rd out at the bar where I watched game 4, it was a solid 60 seconds of, "JUAN UR-I-BE!!!!" Love the fact that his "unconventional approach to SS" came up huge in the last 2 innings.

haha, yeah, did Tim McCarver call those "Hispanic style clutch plays" the way he talked about an error he made earlier in the playoffs? Those two plays that inning were just plain awesome.

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
haha, yeah, did Tim McCarver call those "Hispanic style clutch plays" the way he talked about an error he made earlier in the playoffs? Those two plays that inning were just plain awesome.

You know the media;if Derek Jeet-ah or Miguel Tejada make those
plays,they're in the HOF.If Uribe makes those plays,it's more like
(YAWN),"He got lucky".

SoxSpeed22
12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
One of the other ones was Rowand's running catch in the 8th of game 4 for the second out, as well as Uribe's other good play on Palmerio to end the 8th with a man on 3rd. And who could forget Crede's plays in game 1?

Mercy!
12-10-2005, 05:33 PM
When El Duque was brought in for the last Boston playoff game and began to pitch out of that bases loaded, nobody out jam, I felt at the time I was watching something really special. I think it even transcends just White Sox legend.

downstairs
12-10-2005, 05:39 PM
When El Duque was brought in for the last Boston playoff game and began to pitch out of that bases loaded, nobody out jam, I felt at the time I was watching something really special. I think it even transcends just White Sox legend.

Its hard not to put the Pods WS home run above this, but the tension at that point... wow. I watched the entire three-out display through my fingers... I could barely watch.

rowand33
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM

the El Duque inning was some of the most exciting baseball I've ever seen. easily one of my high points of the playoffs.

dugwood31
12-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Don't forget Uribe's play in the bottom of the 8th of game 4. There was a man on third and two outs.

RetireWoodys28
12-10-2005, 06:51 PM
What gets lost, though, are the plays made *before* these plays, to set up the situation.
This is an announcer's call rather than a play, but it is a great moment *before* a great play that shouldn't get lost:

BUCK: Do you, sir, buy into the theory that people said with regard to Lidge? That it would have been nice to get Lidge in in game 6 against St. Louis in the NLCS? To get that taste out of his mouth from the Pujols homerun?

McCARVER: I donít think that taste is there.

BUCK: POSDENIK HITS ONE TO DEEP RIGHT CENTER FIELD!

It's not every day that you win a world series game with a walk-off HR AND make McCarver look like (possibly) even a bigger numbskull that he really is!

monkeypants
12-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Ozuna's steal in Game 2 of the ALCS. It got lost in-between the A.J strikeout and the Crede double. Who knows what happens if Pablo gets thrown out on the steal or if he just stayed on first. The Sox just took that game from the Angels and the steal was a big part of it.

Edit: Sorry bout that

ChiSoxLifer
12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
One of the other ones was Rowand's running catch in the 8th of game 4 for the second out, as well as Uribe's other good play on Palmerio to end the 8th with a man on 3rd. And who could forget Crede's plays in game 1?

Yes! Uribe's play to end the 8th inning. I actually consider that to be bigger than the one in the 9th. If Juan doesn't make that play on Palmeiro, the game would've been tied. However, I am in no way discounting the final out of the World Series Championship of 2005. I was watching this game at a Hooter's and almost choked on a hotwing when Juan jumped into the stands. Fantastic!

cheeses_h_rice
12-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Timo's steal in Game 2 of the ALCS. It got lost in-between the A.J strikeout and the Crede double. Who knows what happens if Timo gets thrown out on the steal or if he just stayed on first. The Sox just took that game from the Angels and the steal was a big part of it.

That was Ozuna, wasn't it?

gowhitesox
12-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Of game 4 of the World Series, the hit that scored the lone run and "THE CATCH", for out number 2 and the final out those are classic. The Other 3 games I could go on and on with great plays and clutch hitting.

delben91
12-10-2005, 07:24 PM
That was Ozuna, wasn't it?

Yep, it was Pablo.

C-Dawg
12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
the El Duque inning was some of the most exciting baseball I've ever seen. easily one of my high points of the playoffs.

I had just gone into the kitchen to eat the pizza I'd warmed up as Marte loaded up the bases with no outs. I stared and watched in awe, almost unable to swallow or even chew as El Duque skated out of that inning with no damage! I must have gotten up to get more water about ten times during that 1/2 inning; without it I would have choked right there in front of the TV.

Mercy!
12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Here's an iconic moment of a slightly different kind:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spbosox1006-pic,0,670579.photo

C-Dawg
12-10-2005, 07:30 PM
BUCK: Do you, sir, buy into the theory that people said with regard to Lidge? That it would have been nice to get Lidge in in game 6 against St. Louis in the NLCS? To get that taste out of his mouth from the Pujols homerun?

McCARVER: I don’t think that taste is there.

That is an awesome bit of dialogue there! :D:

The Sox did everything to Lidge in that series just short of pantsing him.

RadioheadRocks
12-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Absolutely! I know I've said it here before somewhere, but as exciting as those first two Divisional Series games were, it was "INNING #6" where I first started believing that "hey, we've got something special happening here!"

HomeFish
12-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Virtually all the plays mentioned here, except the Willie Harris hit, are fairly "canonized" in the MLB DVD.

The Willie Harris hit in Game 4 may have been perhaps the most extraordinary play in the fall classic. I don't want to take anything away from Crede and Uribe, but they made good defensive plays all season. Likewise, Cotts and Jenks were pretty good out of the bullpen all season long. Even Podsednik had some home runs earlier in his carrer. But since when does WILLIE HARRIS get big hits against lights-out closers?

Hard to believe Willie is 2-for-2 in postseason play.

C-Dawg
12-10-2005, 07:35 PM
But since when does WILLIE HARRIS get big hits against lights-out closers?

Hard to believe Willie is 2-for-2 in postseason play.

And he battled back after falling behind 0 & 2 if I remember right

RadioheadRocks
12-10-2005, 07:52 PM
And he battled back after falling behind 0 & 2 if I remember right

It all ties together nicely with his "play-by-play" in the dugout that game, don't you think? :D:

gaelhound
12-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Its hard not to put the Pods WS home run above this, but the tension at that point... wow. I watched the entire three-out display through my fingers... I could barely watch.
The Blood Pressure was so UP, if I had holes in me I would have been a fountain!:o:

Baines
12-11-2005, 08:50 PM
One forgotten play from WS Game 4 was the Astro hit and run that Joe Crede and Tadihito Iguchi turned into a double play.

Also, how about the deflating double play that the Astros turned in the 14th inning of Game 3. Paulie smashes one down the line. At worst it's 1st and third, nobody out. Instead, the Astros turn a double play, making Geoff Blum's at bat seem hopeless. But then...

For a sweep, there was some amazing drama in those 4 games.

Brian26
12-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Anyone else have other examples? It's just an interesting phenomenon, and one that I knew would happen at some point, but to see this less than 2 months after everything is over is bizarre. It's as if a lot of these plays are just fading into background noise for many people, when their true import is much higher.

This is an absolutely fascinating topic that I actually started to think about earlier this week when I was re-watching Game 2 of the ALCS. I think this fits into exactly what you're talking about, CHR:

Early in the game (I don't have the dvd handy right now), one of the Angels hitters struck out on a dropped third strike. The ball just skimmed the top of the dirt almost in exactly the same fashion as AJ's dropped third strike did later in the game. After digging the ball out, AJ immediately got up and tagged the Angels hitter. BOTH McCarver and Buck said that it was a good play by AJ just to be safe, and no appeal to third base was necessary. I had completely forgotten about this play. Apparently everyone else has to. Neither Buck nor McCarver made mention of this play later in the evening when the similar scenario happened while Pierzynski was at the plate at Paul failed to tag him. Anyone who has the games on tape or dvd should check this out. The earlier call was on a pitch in almost the EXACT location. I was blown away when I re-watched this and shocked that the play wasn't even mentioned later on.

3rdgensoxfan
12-11-2005, 10:06 PM
The turning point that I believe often gets overlooked is the 2nd inning of Clemen's start when the White Sox tagged him for a run or two and more importantly, made him throw so many pitches.

Vernam
12-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Jermaine's long at-bat and single to center that undid Oswalt in Game 3 vs. Houston. Crede's homer in the fourth inning of Game 1 vs. Houston. Vernam

TheKittle
12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Since the topic says POSTSEASON.

I think about three plays that involved Iggy:

His HR off Fastso Wells. Yeah it wouldn't have happened if Tony G. makes the play but if Wellls got Pods out and if he got Iggy out, the White Sox might lose that game and go to Boston tied 1-1.

The Dye to Iggy to Crede (in hockey Dye would have gotten an assist too) throwout of Erstad in the ALCS. Huge play.

And has been mentioned that DP turned in by Crede and Iggy vs the Astros.

The HR will get a lot of play but the other two plays won't get that much.

21stcenturySox
12-11-2005, 11:21 PM
The squeeze play by Uribe to score AJ in the ninth. What a hand of poker Ozzie was playing there. Juan lead the team in sac flies, yet they were pitching him as if he would bunt. A two- one count and then the prettiest bunt ... I haven't chewed my nails since I was a kid but I was then.

Fenway was very quiet after that play, except for the sound of vomiting. One of the Boston papers had a pic of Timlin with still on the ground and in the background you can see AJ getting hi fived.

IowaSox1971
12-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Regarding the content on the DVDs, I would have preferred to see more highlights and fewer interviews. I'm sure that because of time limitations and because there were so many interviews the highlights had to be condensed.One play that I thought was significant in Game 4 of the World Series was that after Podsednik bunted in the eighth inning, Everett batted for Iguchi and hit a one-out grounder to second base that moved Harris to third. With Harris on third, Lidge had to avoid throwing a ball in the dirt, so Dye probably got a better pitch to hit than if there had been a guy just on second.Unspectacular plays like Everett's grounder, though, were not preserved in the highlights on the DVDs. I felt that was just an excellent inning of team ball: a hit by a seldom-used reserve, a bunt by an All-Star, an advancing-the-runner grounder by a power hitter, and a two-out single up middle by a guy who had hit 31 homers during the regular season.

IlliniSox4Life
12-12-2005, 05:46 AM
I think one of the biggest overlooked things isn't a play, but Buehrle's pitching in game 2 of the ALCS. The thing everybody remembers from that game is Pierzynski's strikeout and Crede's double (Ozuna's steal is overlooked too). Buehrle was magical that night though. If it wasn't for the AJ play, MB may very well have gone 11 innings.

You do hear a lot about the 4 complete games in the ALCS, but on a game to game basis, at the very best you hear that in game 2 "AJ reached on a controversial dropped third strike and Crede doubled him in with 2 outs in the 9th for the win. Oh yeah, Buehrle threw a complete game".

C-Dawg
12-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Early in the game (I don't have the dvd handy right now), one of the Angels hitters struck out on a dropped third strike. The ball just skimmed the top of the dirt almost in exactly the same fashion as AJ's dropped third strike did later in the game. After digging the ball out, AJ immediately got up and tagged the Angels hitter. BOTH McCarver and Buck said that it was a good play by AJ just to be safe, and no appeal to third base was necessary.

If you get a chance, be sure to post on here who the Angels batter was. It might come in handy next time some disgruntled Cub fan (or whatever) complains that the Sox "cheated" their way into the World Series.

"Hey remember earlier in the game when Guerrero swung and missed at a ball in the dirt and AJ tagged him out, just to be sure there was no confusion? Buck and McCarver sure thought it was a smart move by the veteran catcher!"

1951Campbell
12-12-2005, 07:50 AM

That half inning is why the DVD in March must also include the ALDS. That was a performance for the ages, and that's when I knew the White Sox meant business in the post-season. To do it against the defending champs just adds to it.

mrwag
12-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Reading through this whole thread brings the chills back. It was just all magic. Destiny.

Even if the Sox do repeat next year, I can't imagine the postseason run being greater than this. Just so many quirks, goofy plays, what-if's... It's beyond imagination.

soxfan13
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
I think one of the huge turning points of the World Series was a 1/2 an inning of play, not just a single play. Roy Oswalt rolling along and then the White Sox batters started extending the count on him. Before you know it Oswalt has thrown almost 50 pitches in one inning, and the Sox put up a big 5 spot versus the ACE to make it a whole different game. It also shut up all the Astro fans sitting around me!!!!

Etownsox13
12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
uribe's catch in game 4.

:worship:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
12-12-2005, 12:37 PM
In game 3, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, 2 outs, and Morgan Ensberg fouling everything off of El Duque and he works the count full. Then El Duque throws a wicked curve and ends the rally, on to exra innings were Blum becomes a hero

Baby Fisk
12-12-2005, 12:51 PM
El Duque's 6th inning performance deserved way more attention in the DVD. It may have only been the ALDS, but after that inning the Sox were unstoppable. It was the pivotal inning of the entire post-season.

asindc
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I think one of the biggest overlooked things isn't a play, but Buehrle's pitching in game 2 of the ALCS. The thing everybody remembers from that game is Pierzynski's strikeout and Crede's double (Ozuna's steal is overlooked too). Buehrle was magical that night though. If it wasn't for the AJ play, MB may very well have gone 11 innings.

You do hear a lot about the 4 complete games in the ALCS, but on a game to game basis, at the very best you hear that in game 2 "AJ reached on a controversial dropped third strike and Crede doubled him in with 2 outs in the 9th for the win. Oh yeah, Buehrle threw a complete game".

I agree with this one. After the game, I immediately called my brother. We both wanted to talk about Buehrle's performance, rather than AJ's play. Buehrle was simply on top of his game that night. Afterwards, Ozzie said Buehrle told him that he could have gone another inning or two if needed. The way he pitched that night, I believe him.

BTW, El Duque was on a Univision sports show yesterday. From what little Spanish I can understand, he talked about how he believed from the beginning of the year that the Sox would make the playoffs and do very well. They actually showed an interview from earlier in the season where he said the same thing.

elrod
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm still amazed at Geoff Blum's post-season stats.

AB 1
H 1
R 1
RBI 1
OBP 1.000
SLG 4.000
OPS 5.000

Will anybody remember that Geoff Blum had a post-season OPS of 5.000 in years to come?

Jurr
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Iguchi's three run bomb against Boston was the moment that I began to believe this team was ready for prime time. It was just one of those breaks that THE SOX CAPITALIZED ON, and that was the first time they'd been faced with a situation like that in the playoffs. Way to respond, Gooch!! The Sox kept that trend up time and again in the playoffs, and now we're talking about a WS title!!!!!!!

pissonthecubs
12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
uribe's catch in game 4.

I think I have watched that game about a hundred times, and that is my favorite play of that game and second favorite of the entire playoffs behind only Paulie's grand slam. I really think that Uribe's catch going into the stands is one of the best plays of the year in all of baseball. Jeter does something like that in the ALCS and he is baseball God because he went into the stands back behind third base and makes the catch. But Uribe makes the same catch, and you see it once on the highlight package on espn like it was a routine pop up catch. I guess I just needed to vent about that.

flo-B-flo
12-12-2005, 09:17 PM
the El Duque inning was some of the most exciting baseball I've ever seen. easily one of my high points of the playoffs. No question, this one's in Sox lore. I was driving (speeding) home from work. When he struck out Damon, I let out a bansheelike shreik that startled the older women in the car next to me. The younger kids in the back were laughing.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
How both of Konerko's 3-run first inning bombs in Anaheim don't get a mention in the World Series DVD is beyond me. After losing game #1, and sneaking out a win in game #2, I was a wreck each night until those bombs were hit. They were huge for that series.

flo-B-flo
12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
One play that I thought was significant in Game 4 of the World Series was that after Podsednik bunted in the eighth inning, Everett batted for Iguchi and hit a one-out grounder to second base that moved Harris to third. With Harris on third, Lidge had to avoid throwing a ball in the dirt, so Dye probably got a better pitch to hit than if there had been a guy just on second. I felt that was just an excellent inning of team ball: a hit by a seldom-used reserve, a bunt by an All-Star, an advancing-the-runner grounder by a power hitter, and a two-out single up middle by a guy who had hit 31 homers during the regular season. Well summarized. And this is just one more example of why this was such a great TEAM. You could write this about their play all season.

rookie
12-12-2005, 10:44 PM
I was wondering about why Konerko's game 3 and 4 homers weren't mentioned either, but maybe they wanted to spread the glory around a little bit, and he gets his claim to fame with that grand slam.

AJ deserves more credit than going down in infamy concerning the Angels. And on the DVD they kinda glide through the amazing pitching. I guess it's hard to give everyone their due in 90 minutes...that's why we need that Box set.

The Inning of El Duque surpasses all the homers ,even in WS game 2, for me. And it doesn't get enough time on the DVD. They go through it in about 30 seconds. Oh will December 18th ever get here so I can relive the whole postseason and not just the World Series!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-13-2005, 07:25 AM
uribe's catch in game 4. Actually I'm quite surprised I haven't seen more replays of Uribe's running catch in the stands, too. That was a unbelievable play in a key part of the game. Why is it being ignored? I guarantee if Derek Jeter had made that catch in a World Series game, it would be right up there with Carlton Fisk's foul pole dinger from the '75 Series as the touchstone greatest play ever made. I bet ESPN would be showing multiple times per day to introduce Sportscenter. Duh duh Dant! Duh duh Dant!

Hangar18
12-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I guarantee if Derek Jeter had made that catch in a World Series game, it would be right up there with Carlton Fisk's foul pole dinger from the '75 Series as the touchstone greatest play ever made. I bet ESPN would be showing multiple times per day to introduce Sportscenter. Duh duh Dant! Duh duh Dant!

:DJ

Mmmmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

North Sox Sider
12-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Everyone seems to forget about Tad's homer in Game 2 off of David Wells. If Tony G. didnt commit that error and Tad doesnt come up to hit the blast to left, we are talking about a whole new situation in the ALDS. That means we are tied going to Boston and no doubt facing Schilling in Game 4. I said it then and I will say it now, I think that homer by Tad is one of the biggest hits in the history of the Sox franchise. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

cheeses_h_rice
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Everyone seems to forget about Tad's homer in Game 2 off of David Wells. If Tony G. didnt commit that error and Tad doesnt come up to hit the blast to left, we are talking about a whole new situation in the ALDS. That means we are tied going to Boston and no doubt facing Schilling in Game 4. I said it then and I will say it now, I think that homer by Tad is one of the biggest hits in the history of the Sox franchise. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. You're definitely not wrong. I was at that game, and I gotta say, the Sox were being completely owned by Wells up until that inning, and Buehrle was not pitching very well. The Graffanino error should have been a double play, ending the inning at Boston 4, White Sox 2. But, in typical White Sox fashion, it was Iguchi capitalizing bigtime on the mistake that made the difference. I know that I personally went from the darkest dark cloud to the happiest guy in the world in the span of those 3 outs.

Hangar18
12-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Everyone seems to forget about Tad's homer in Game 2 off of David Wells. If Tony G. didnt commit that error and Tad doesnt come up to hit the blast to left, we are talking about a whole new situation in the ALDS. That means we are tied going to Boston and no doubt facing Schilling in Game 4. I said it then and I will say it now, I think that homer by Tad is one of the biggest hits in the history of the Sox franchise. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Thats a very good point man. I think the media would rather talk about how many bases Pierre is going to steal instead ......

PKalltheway
12-13-2005, 12:57 PM
You know the media;if Derek Jeet-ah or Miguel Tejada make those
plays,they're in the HOF.If Uribe makes those plays,it's more like
(YAWN),"He got lucky".

That's so true. I seem to remember a certain play during the 2004 season when Ryan Freel of the Reds dove into the stands at Dodger Stadium to make a catch and the media criticized him for playing "too hard." Derek Jeter makes the same play, the same play against Boston, and he's made out to be the greatest player to ever step out onto the diamond. Pathetic.:angry:

white sox bill
12-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Ditto

pythons007
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
This is an announcer's call rather than a play, but it is a great moment *before* a great play that shouldn't get lost:

McCARVER: I donít think that taste is there.

It's not every day that you win a world series game with a walk-off HR AND make McCarver look like (possibly) even a bigger numbskull that he really is!

These two dillrods do nothing but jinks players, teams, situations, etc.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-13-2005, 04:25 PM
It really is amazing the number of key playoff "moments" generated last year, moments we'll tell our kids and grandkids about one of these days. Man, it was just our year.

Baby Fisk
12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
You're definitely not wrong. I was at that game, and I gotta say, the Sox were being completely owned by Wells up until that inning, and Buehrle was not pitching very well. The Graffanino error should have been a double play, ending the inning at Boston 4, White Sox 2. But, in typical White Sox fashion, it was Iguchi capitalizing bigtime on the mistake that made the difference. I know that I personally went from the darkest dark cloud to the happiest guy in the world in the span of those 3 outs.
I'll vouch for him. I've never been doused with so much beer before. I could have done without all those repeated chest slams, too, when a high five would have sufficed.

Fake Chet Lemon is right about Konerko's ALCS HRs. They put the Sox on the board early and had the Angels on the defensive from the get-go both times. Yet scant is made of them. It's a miracle PK re-signed with the Sox after such shoddy treatment.