PDA

View Full Version : Frank to Oakland?

whitesoxfan
12-10-2005, 03:42 PM
on ESPN.com's main page under the headlines, there is an Insider headline saying: "Rumor Central: Big Hurt heading for Oakland." I don't have Insider, so I can't access the article. If true, at least it's better than going to Minnesota.

:(:

JermaineDye05
12-10-2005, 03:48 PM
never listen to ESPN Insider they're never right, but I wouldnt be surprised if he went to oakland, i mean where else is he gonna go

SOX ADDICT '73
12-10-2005, 04:14 PM
If Thomas goes to Oakland, I can feel right about rooting for him, even head-to-head. Those guys kick our asses no matter who's in their lineup, so a couple of HR per game by Frank won't make a difference one way or the other...

...if he ends up in Minnesota, however, I may find myself hoping he's unproductive for them. Sox fan supercedes Frank fan.

munchman33
12-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah Peter Gammons reported a couple of days ago that Thomas to Oakland is almost a sure thing.

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 05:31 PM
This is an absolute no-brainer. I hope it gets done soon...

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 05:34 PM
If Thomas goes to Oakland, I can feel right about rooting for him, even head-to-head. Those guys kick our asses no matter who's in their lineup, so a couple of HR per game by Frank won't make a difference one way or the other...

...if he ends up in Minnesota, however, I may find myself hoping he's unproductive for them. Sox fan supercedes Frank fan.

My sentiments exactly.I will cheer for Frank Thomas on any
other team than the Twinks,Tribe,Tiggers or Royals.I would
give him a standing "O" his first AB at Comiskey,but after that,
sorry, Frank.To quote Jerry Seinfeld on why fans boo players
who leave teams via free agency (or trades),"Booooo!!!!!
Wrong laundry!!!":D: :D:

DSpivack
12-10-2005, 06:08 PM
My sentiments exactly.I will cheer for Frank Thomas on any
other team than the Twinks,Tribe,Tiggers or Royals.I would
give him a standing "O" his first AB at Comiskey,but after that,
sorry, Frank.To quote Jerry Seinfeld on why fans boo players
who leave teams via free agency (or trades),"Booooo!!!!!
Wrong laundry!!!":D: :D:

Sorry, but I'll still be rooting for the best player in franchise history [sorry, Shoeless Joe] to do well. I just won't be rooting for his team to win.

whitesoxfan
12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Sorry, but I'll still be rooting for the best player in franchise history [sorry, Shoeless Joe] to do well. I just won't be rooting for his team to win.

+1

RetireWoodys28
12-11-2005, 02:17 AM

It's funny, the way we feel about the potential of Frank playing somewhere else now, versus what we'd have thought of that ever happening at the beginning of his career. Like in 1991, when Dave Stewart was busy saying the White Sox could "hold his jock." Imagine if, in 1991, I told you there was a time when we'd feel good about Frank playing for the A's!

But I must agree, I hope he ends up in Oakland. And I'll cheer for his (hopefully) meaningless HR against the Sox, too :smile:

RKMeibalane
12-11-2005, 04:24 PM
It's funny, the way we feel about the potential of Frank playing somewhere else now, versus what we'd have thought of that ever happening at the beginning of his career. Like in 1991, when Dave Stewart was busy saying the White Sox could "hold his jock." Imagine if, in 1991, I told you there was a time when we'd feel good about Frank playing for the A's!

But I must agree, I hope he ends up in Oakland. And I'll cheer for his (hopefully) meaningless HR against the Sox, too :smile:

I agree. I have no problem with Frank doing damage as long as the Sox win. If he does something to beat the Sox, however, I'm going to pissed. I think he's going to have a big season in Oakland. It should be interesting seeing how he shares the area with Bonds, another steroid-user, after sharing Chicago with the Nandrolone freak.

Red Barchetta
12-11-2005, 04:34 PM
If it's Oakland, great. I know the A's have owned us over the past few seasons, however I liked them in the early 70s during their World Series run and I liked them when Tony LaRussa was managing them. I can't bring myself to "hate" them like I do the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins and Indians. Must be the white shoes...:D:

If he is healthy going into the season, I really think he will have an excellent shot at "comeback player of the year" for 2006. Again, if he's healthy....

DSpivack
12-11-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree. I have no problem with Frank doing damage as long as the Sox win. If he does something to beat the Sox, however, I'm going to pissed. I think he's going to have a big season in Oakland. It should be interesting seeing how he shares the area with Bonds, another steroid-user, after sharing Chicago with the Nandrolone freak.

Let's see, he'll be a star on the superior let less beloved AL team in a market of two, where the NL team has a steroids-abusing, homer-hitting freak.

Oakland: South Side=San Francisco: North Side?

Taliesinrk
12-11-2005, 06:54 PM
+1

+2

BNLSox
12-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Let's see, he'll be a star on the superior let less beloved AL team in a market of two, where the NL team has a steroids-abusing, homer-hitting freak.

Oakland: South Side=San Francisco: North Side?

The comparison can be drawn but as someone who has lived in both the bay area and chicago I must say that Giants fans are much better fans than Cubs fans and in general are also better than A's fans. The Oakland A's fans are the same people who put on the metal spikes and face paint to watch the Raiders play. They know nothing of baseball and are just looking to get into a fight. Also the coliseum is the worst ball park in the world and SBC is one of the nicest.

Flight #24
12-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah Peter Gammons reported a couple of days ago that Thomas to Oakland is almost a sure thing.

Gammons also reported that "nothing can happen until he's medically cleared in Jan". If that timing is accurate and/or we get any further reports on Frank's ankle, it would validate the Sox moves, although not the lack of communication.

wdelaney72
12-12-2005, 11:17 AM
I know I'm in the minority on this one, but once Frank sports a different uniform, I will become completely indifferent to his performance, and once he plays us, I will hope and pray for repeated 0-4 games.

No disrespect to Frank intended, but that's just how I feel about opponents.

Deuce
12-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Frank gets a standing ovation from me, no matter what uniform he is wearing, given what he has done for this team and the way he left. After all, he didn't leave the Sox, the Sox left him (much like Robin Ventura). So I have no qualms about giving him props. He has earned it. I hope he has great numbers next year... and that whatever team he is playing for sucks royally.

Tekijawa
12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
He'll Ge a Standing O from me and I'll try and be the last one to sit down... the man carried this team through the 90's and deserves as much respect as we can heap upon him!

FarWestChicago
12-12-2005, 12:34 PM
The comparison can be drawn but as someone who has lived in both the bay area and chicago I must say that Giants fans are much better fans than Cubs fans and in general are also better than A's fans. The Oakland A's fans are the same people who put on the metal spikes and face paint to watch the Raiders play. They know nothing of baseball and are just looking to get into a fight. Also the coliseum is the worst ball park in the world and SBC is one of the nicest.A's fans aren't that bad. It is NOT like going to a Raiders game. The Coliseum wasn't that bad before they put Mt. Davis in. The other difference is the A's aren't vilified by the local media. Both teams are covered favorably.

bobowhite
12-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I will root for Frank Thomas for any team he signs with. I will root against that team anytme they play the Sox however.

Possible exceptions: Cubs, Yankee$, Twins, Tokyo Giants.

wdelaney72
12-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I should emphasize the word indifferent. I certainly won't be boo-ing him or anything like that.

I will simply be treating him like any other player on an opposing team.

I will cheer for him again when he gets into the HOF.

miker
12-12-2005, 01:42 PM
...are just looking to get into a fight. Also the coliseum is the worst ball park in the world and SBC is one of the nicest.
Sounds a lot like the usual spin in Chicago: we're white trash brawlers and the Urinal is some kind of shrine.

I'll applaud Frank the first time I see him. He deserves that and so much more. I just hope others don't give him the "Magglio" treatment.

kwolf68
12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I will never boo the Big Hurt. NEVER. He will get a cheer from me, but I will have to root for our guys to get him out. I hope he hits 40 homers next year, but I hope he goes 0-fer against the Sox.

My first priority is to the White Sox, then to former White Sox.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-12-2005, 07:50 PM
He'll Ge a Standing O from me and I'll try and be the last one to sit down...
This is going to be quite a competition...