PDA

View Full Version : Can the Sox repeat their central division dominance?

AnkleSox
12-10-2005, 03:09 PM
We all know one of the major reasons the Sox ended with the best record in the AL was because of their amazing performance against central division foes. The Sox went 52-22 against the central division last year, and that kind of performance is not something that happens very often in any division. Especially when the division is one of the stronger ones in the league (despite what any mediots have to say. The second place team had a better record than any other second place team in the AL, and a better record than EVERY team in the NL not named the cardinals.)

So can they do it again? Remember how many one run games the sox won against the indians? We all know there was a little bit of luck involved. I'm not one of those jerks that's saying the Sox had a lucky season and didn't win the series legitimately, but it is baseball and sometimes the luckier team is the one that wins.

That being said, I personally don't think the Sox are gonna go 52-22 against the central, but I don't think the dropoff is going to be too drastic. The Indians so far haven't made any moves that scare me, but I think the Twins may be a little better (third place material still). I also think the young arms on the Tigers may mature a bit, but not enough to consider the team a contender. The Royals will suck for a long time, and maybe this year the Sox can get that season series sweep that they were halfway to last year :bandance:

I think the struggles for the Sox in the West are over, and I see them finally playing at least .500 baseball out there, if not better. They'll probably play about the same against the East, if not better. The Blue Jays will be a bit tougher than last year, but the Yankees, Red sox, and Orioles still don't have pitching that scares me, or I'm assuming, the White Sox players. The only team the Sox need to worry about are the Devil Rays.

All in all, if Thome's healthy and the offense maintains some level of consistency throughout the season, I can see this team taking the division again easily, even if their record within it is slightly worse. Here's to a 100+ win season and an 11-0 postseason. :gulp:

There's my rant. Any thoughts? Anyone out there think the Sox will actually do BETTER against the central in 2006 than they did in 2005?

ChiSoxIn06
12-10-2005, 03:13 PM
they won't be THAT dominant in the division but I do believe that they will have success again in the central. The main stat that I would like to see repeated is the amazing record the sox had on the road last year..if they can come near to duplicating that again they will be in great shape.

RallyBowl
12-10-2005, 03:18 PM
74-0. Book it.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-10-2005, 03:21 PM
On this same topic, how does their dominance of the Central last season rank in baseball history? I'm sure if it was the best ever we'd have heard something about that, but there can't be very many teams who have so completely owned the rest of their division the way the White Sox did in '05.

MERPER
12-10-2005, 03:28 PM
You're right.... I don't think they'll go 52-22 against the division again, either... I think they'll do better than that...

Not only have the Sox made significant roster improvements, their division rivals have done nothing to improve... in fact, maybe they've gotten worse

INDIANS= lost the best ERA guy in AL, who pitched very well against us and replaced him with Paul Byrd.... also lost Thome to Sox

TWINS= Luis Castillo won't make the scoreboard jump

TIGERS= looking to dump Pudge... Kenny Rogers doesn't worry me considering he's as old as his rotisserie coutnerpart and now has the cameraman incident on his shoulders

ROYALS= no analyzing necessary...

2006 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS.... YYYYYEEEESSSS!

:supernana:

NeverForget42
12-10-2005, 03:35 PM
i totally agree

the sox will be better then last year within the central at least

'this isn't just a re-peat or three-peat type situation, this is atleast an 8-peat'

ewokpelts
12-10-2005, 03:40 PM
yes

buehrle4cy05
12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Cleveland and Minnesota are attempting to improve. Detroit and Kansas City give the appearance that they are trying to improve, when they really are not. I think that Minnesota is going to need another starter to back up Santana because Radke is getting old. I don't think that Liriano and/or Baker are the answer. Their lineup will be improved with Castillo, but it will take big contributions out of Mauer and Morneau for the Twins to be successful. Cleveland still doesn't have that other power hitter in their lineup that they need, and it looks less likely with every day that passes by that they will get it. They attempted to shore up the rotation with Byrd, but I don't think that he is a guy who you can count on for one whole season. Wickman is back as the closer, but he's pretty old, and they don't have any proven setup men to back him up.

Detroit and KC aren't going anywhere unless they get huge contributions from young players (Maroth, Granderson on Detroit and Grienke and DeJesus on KC).

batmanZoSo
12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I think we will. This team is very good at beating the teams they're supposed to beat. As for the rest of the league and the "good" teams, they don't perform nearly as well, but as we saw, when it really counts, they get the job done with flying colors. They're kind of like the old Yankees from what I've heard. They pounded the weaker teams, went .500 at best against the best teams, but no one could beat them in the end when it counted.

I think the Indians will be tough once again, but they haven't gotten any better in my opinion. We have a chance to be much better than we were this year if Thome is healthy, the starting rotation as well, and McCarthy pitches like he did toward the end of the 05 run. On top of that, we just handle Cleveland well and have since 2000. They're the only legitimate threat in this division. Minnesota and Detroit are pretenders and KC will once again stink to high heaven.

Chips
12-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Definetly.

TaylorStSox
12-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not optimistic about our pitching being the same. We won't dominate. We will win the division.

bobowhite
12-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I think the Sox will still have a dogfight on their hands against the Indians. I think the season series against them will be close. The other three teams in the division I do not see as very threatening and I think the Sox should continue to do well against all three.

In sum, dominating yes, as dominating, probably not.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-10-2005, 03:57 PM
The Sox will will do well against the division for the same reason they did well last year, better pitching. In addition, losing Howry and possibly Millwood makes the Indians a little worse.

soxfanreggie
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
If we do better against the division this year...then great. I think we will win the division, but I don't think we will be as dominant in inter-division play. I think we will do better against the rest of the A.L. though. If we can keep the core of players around that we do and have Kenny keep adding solid pieces to the puzzle...we will be winning for a while. :cool:

SoxEd
12-10-2005, 04:38 PM
If the question is 'Can the Sox win the ALC again in 2006?', then the answer is a resounding '(You can put it on the Board... ) YES!'

After all, our Pitching has so far seen no major changes, and our offensive lineup has theoretically improved, whilst those on this site who follow the goings-on down on the Farm system assure me that Anderson will be as good as Rowand defensively too, so our Defense remains substantially unchanged.
i.e. the 2006 Sox actually look like they'll be a better, more rounded, team than the World Series Champion 2005 Sox, and not so reliant on the pitchers being able to hold on for a one-run win.
So, in other words, we ought to win the ALC in 2006.

The real question, of course, is 'Will the Sox win the ALC again in 2006?'...

Obviously, I like to think they will, but it will all boil down (as always) to which team can stay healthiest, and which teams play better on the day(s).
As Boston, Anaheim and the majority of the US media found out this last Post-Season, games are emphatically NOT won on paper - you have to actually play them...

E.g. if PK, JT, JD, MB, JG, JC, FG or our bullpen guys miss significant numbers of games because of injury, then I think that the Injuns have a great chance of claiming the ALC title.

Similarly, if their key players get hurt, then the ALC crown will obviously go to KC.

I know, I know - with the kind of analytical skills on display above, I ought to be working for ESPN. :D:

TaylorStSox
12-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Here's some things that concern me about our pitching...

Cotts - flat breaking ball. The league might catch up.
Politte - career year
Hermanson - injury
Garcia - workload and poor conditioning

AnkleSox
12-10-2005, 06:08 PM
If the question is 'Can the Sox win the ALC again in 2006?', then the answer is a resounding '(You can put it on the Board... ) YES!'

After all, our Pitching has so far seen no major changes, and our offensive lineup has theoretically improved, whilst those on this site who follow the goings-on down on the Farm system assure me that Anderson will be as good as Rowand defensively too, so our Defense remains substantially unchanged.
i.e. the 2006 Sox actually look like they'll be a better, more rounded, team than the World Series Champion 2005 Sox, and not so reliant on the pitchers being able to hold on for a one-run win.
So, in other words, we ought to win the ALC in 2006.

The real question, of course, is 'Will the Sox win the ALC again in 2006?'...

Obviously, I like to think they will, but it will all boil down (as always) to which team can stay healthiest, and which teams play better on the day(s).
As Boston, Anaheim and the majority of the US media found out this last Post-Season, games are emphatically NOT won on paper - you have to actually play them...

E.g. if PK, JT, JD, MB, JG, JC, FG or our bullpen guys miss significant numbers of games because of injury, then I think that the Injuns have a great chance of claiming the ALC title.

Similarly, if their key players get hurt, then the ALC crown will obviously go to KC.

I know, I know - with the kind of analytical skills on display above, I ought to be working for ESPN. :D:

I should have worded it a little differently. I strongly believe that the sox will win the division, but I was just asking the question if they can do it in the same style, going 52-22.

I would like to know what the best interdivisional record is since the new system has been in place. ESPN's standings say the cardinals went 51-29 against the NL central this year, so that's pretty dominant, although the amount of losses hurts the winning percentage in relation to that of the White Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Here's some things that concern me about our pitching...

Cotts - flat breaking ball. The league might catch up.
Politte - career year
Hermanson - injury
Garcia - workload and poor conditioning

These are called "x factors" and yes,they should concern
ALL Sox fans.To win a championship,you have to be both
lucky AND good.If the pitchers mentioned above
can stay away from the DL,and the rest of the pitching staff
doesn't over exert itself,the Sox should be OK.Not as dominant
as last season,but in the picture for another shot at the A.L.
Central title.

chisoxmatt
12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Its going to be a battle with the Indians this year. Dont count out the Twins either. Their pitching is still solid and Tori Hunter is healthy.

I think the Sox will repeat but it could go to the Twins or Indians too.

mccoydp
12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
INDIANS= lost the best ERA guy in AL, who pitched very well against us and replaced him with Paul Byrd.... also lost Thome to Sox
The last time I checked, Thome played for the Phillies when he was traded.

Blancos Medias
12-11-2005, 02:42 PM
He probably means the Indians were trying to get Thome when the Sox made the trade.

MHOUSE
12-11-2005, 04:38 PM
So far the White Sox have improved, while every other team in the division has downgraded a little. I see no reason why we won't win the division again. The Indian's bullpen is a year older and with Bobby Howry. Their rotation traded Millwood for Byrd. The Twins added Castillo who is a good player, but won't carry them at all. The Tigers added a couple aging pitchers, but their staff remains more or less the same: young and inexperienced. The Royals, well, 'nuff said.