PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Marketing 2008

Fenway
12-10-2005, 11:30 AM
2 years from now the Cubs will be at 100 years without winning the World Series.

If you worked at the Tribune or Cubs would you mark that milestone by remembering the 1908 club?

BTW I hope the White Sox honor the 1906 team this year. If Brooks is really evil he can do it in May when the Flubs come to the Cell. Have the WS wear their 1906 uniforms along with the Flubs.

The Critic
12-10-2005, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't, but I bet they will.
They'll avoid the part about the 1908 team being the last Cub team to win the championship, but I'd guess they'll have a throwback day or commemorative pins or something.
I would like to see t-shirts with 100 Years Of Futility on the front and "Anyone Can Have A Bad Century" on the back.
:D:

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2005, 12:59 PM
If, by then, the White Sox are still successful, or if they've won another WS, the Cubs would be absolutely crazy to call attention to the contrast.

The Dude
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
2 years from now the Cubs will be at 100 years without winning the World Series.

If you worked at the Tribune or Cubs would you mark that milestone by remembering the 1908 club?

BTW I hope the White Sox honor the 1906 team this year. If Brooks is really evil he can do it in May when the Flubs come to the Cell. Have the WS wear their 1906 uniforms along with the Flubs.

I'm almost positive we're wearing the 1906 unis for a game and probably during the Flub series.

Gremlin3
12-10-2005, 01:13 PM
100 years of losing. Now that's tradition.

SoxSpeed22
12-10-2005, 01:20 PM
After our 4-peat, the Cubs will revert to 1908 unis and attempt to contact the spirits of Tinker, Evers, Chance and the original goat along with Sam Sanis. As well as making a documentary called "The Exorcism of Wrigley Field."
If they can blow up a ball and turn it into spaghetti sauce, anything's possible. Although it was very generous of them to raise that much and give to charity.

TDog
12-10-2005, 04:50 PM
If, by then, the White Sox are still successful, or if they've won another WS, the Cubs would be absolutely crazy to call attention to the contrast.

In 1969 when the Cubs were on their way to the World Series (before the historic collapse) and a local radio station was broadcasting computer simulations of games between that year's Cubs with the teams that beat the Cubs in eight World Series since 1908, the Sox celebrated the 10th anniversary of their most recent World Series. Many of the players returned in old cars running on the warning track. I doubt there was as many as 12,000 people in the ballpark. In those days, a losing team with a winner across town didn't draw much. Nostalgic promotions notwithstanding.

The Cubs don't need to celebrate the centennial of their last World Series. Everyone who played in it is dead. Possibly everyone who watched it is dead.

The Sox next year won't need to reach for a promotion to celebrate the centennial of beating the Cubs in the World Series because it will be the first anniversary of our greatest season.

jerry myers
12-10-2005, 05:07 PM
ahhh the lovable losers, now theirs a title for them. ours is only world champions.:gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
12-10-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm almost positive we're wearing the 1906 unis for a game and probably during the Flub series.

That is correct Dude.

RadioheadRocks
12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't, but I bet they will.
They'll avoid the part about the 1908 team being the last Cub team to win the championship, but I'd guess they'll have a throwback day or commemorative pins or something.
I would like to see t-shirts with 100 Years Of Futility on the front and "Anyone Can Have A Bad Century" on the back.
:D:

How about, "Why should this year be different from any other year???" :rolling:

voodoochile
12-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I think they should have a retrospective on longest droughts between championships in all sports history. Obviously it is impossible for any of the other big American sports to have a drought that long, but they might take a look at Australia's run of futility in the America's Cup in yacht racing and maybe some European soccer clubs (if they have been around that long - I really don't know).

It's one for the ages, a championship played every year and your team goes a century without winning one, it definitely is news worthy especially as much as we love our milestone accomplishments packaged in round numbers...

voodoochile
12-11-2005, 01:30 AM
How about, "Why should this century be different from any other century???" :rolling:

Fixed your post...

hose
12-11-2005, 04:06 AM
2056- Cubs will have gone 150 years w/o a World Series.

The Racehorse
12-11-2005, 07:00 AM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:mOzChKOK5P8J:www.autographedtoyou.com/celebpics/dusty_baker5.jpg
"Yeah, crazy like a fox"

bigfoot
12-11-2005, 07:59 AM

The 2008 "Wait 'Til Next Year" ad campaign manager

http://www.msu.edu/~dinerodo/methuselah/Methuselah_logo.gif

Hitmen77
12-11-2005, 04:29 PM
The Cubs marketing approach in 2008 will be:

Come see the Cubs because we play in an old, cramped stadium with few amenities. Also, see the Cubs because everyone loves our losing tradition.

This has been their strategy for a generation and it's worked wonders for them. Why would would they change it for '08? Consumers aren't going to be any less stupid 3 years from now.

As far as any specific reference to '08 - look for them to copy the Sox tradition of wearing "throwback" uniforms to commemorate that team. Also look for the media and for Cub fans to act like the Cubs invented this concept of "throwback" uniforms or "turn back the clock" day.

spiffie
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Why would it be crazy? So much of their tradition is tied into believing that they are the faithful followers of some wonderful lost cause and that they are somehow better people and fans because of the losing, why discourage that? I'd focus on it as hard as possible, with the spin being "you are the best fans in the world for sticking with us this entire time" and you know they'll lap it up.

Tekijawa
12-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I bet they have "Century Club" contests at every bar around that hole in 2008...

Sluggers banner: $30 Join the Cubs in the Century club! 100 Shots of Beer in 100 Minutes... Are you a Big enough fan!

1951Campbell
12-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Why would it be crazy? So much of their tradition is tied into believing that they are the faithful followers of some wonderful lost cause and that they are somehow better people and fans because of the losing, why discourage that? I'd focus on it as hard as possible, with the spin being "you are the best fans in the world for sticking with us this entire time" and you know they'll lap it up.

Exactly.

You know, we poke fun at Cubs' marketing, but if they can turn rooting for a team that hasn't won in 100 years into a money machine, they very well may be able to sell sand to Saudi Arabia. The whole idea of fandom is to enjoy a championship. The Cubs sit atop a pile of money, having done the exact opposite.

Frater Perdurabo
12-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Exactly.

You know, we poke fun at Cubs' marketing, but if they can turn rooting for a team that hasn't won in 100 years into a money machine, they very well may be able to sell sand to Saudi Arabia. The whole idea of fandom is to enjoy a championship. The Cubs sit atop a pile of money, having done the exact opposite. Thats why Colonel McCormick's outfit today would make Joseph Goebbels smile!

RichFitztightly
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I thought a good T-Shirt to sell outside of the Cell was a simple black or navy blue T-Shirt with the words, "1908" with the Cubbie logo as the "0." Then below it have the tagline, "100 years of tradition."

I think it'd be a good shirt for a Sox fan to wear, but I'd fear that Cub fans would get the wrong idea and think I was supporting the team rather than using the shirt as an insult. You know... cause Cub fans are stupid and all.

SOXPHILE
12-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I always thought it would be funny to do a take off on the radio spot the Cubs ran last year, and I think the year before. The one where it's supposed to be Wrigley Field talking, and they use a bunch of different people's voices to say things like "I saw Carrie strike out 20, and Ernie hit #500." "I saw Ryno hit 2, and the sun come out to shine on Ron Santo day just as he was being introduced"..etc. :puking:

In MY commercial, I would have the same format, a bunch of different people talking as if they were Wrigley Field, but they're memories would be different:

- "I saw the Marlins score 8 in one inning, on our way to blowing a 3 games to 2 lead"

- "I saw them choke it all away in '69, and a juiced up wife beater named Sammy get caught with cork"

- "I have seen more below .500 seasons than I care to remember, and more ineptitude on the field than any other pro sports team can even imagine"

- "I have seen throngs of stupid, cluesless people continue to fill my stands, and yet, not once have I witnessed a northsider's championship. I AM WRIGLEY FIELD !"

voodoochile
12-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Purchasing a baseball team to be marketed by you newspaper division: $20 Million

100 years between championships: (insert total cost of all salaries for all players, coaches, managers and GM's here)

Knowing when to cut ties with your cheating slugger (picture of ShamMe batting while his bat explodes): $17 Million

Filling the ballpark every day with sheep who don't care: Priceless

miker
12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
"Come to Wrigley and help us raise another attendance banner!"

Fenway
12-12-2005, 02:33 PM
"Come to Wrigley and help us raise another attendance banner!"

AS 000000

them

http://www.lakeviewbaseballclub.com/gif/img04.jpgAC 026097

The Critic
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
AS 000000

them

Ahhhh, the Failure Tote Board!
"Come watch the numbers get higher! In two years, we're gonna have to add another number!"

pythons007
12-13-2005, 12:49 PM
in 2008 they should have an advertisment that reads:
A century of losing, let's do it again. I AM WRIGELY FIELD!

eriqjaffe
12-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I always thought it would be funny to do a take off on the radio spot the Cubs ran last year, and I think the year before. The one where it's supposed to be Wrigley Field talking, and they use a bunch of different people's voices to say things like "I saw Carrie strike out 20, and Ernie hit #500." "I saw Ryno hit 2, and the sun come out to shine on Ron Santo day just as he was being introduced"..etc. :puking:

In MY commercial, I would have the same format, a bunch of different people talking as if they were Wrigley Field, but they're memories would be different:

- "I saw the Marlins score 8 in one inning, on our way to blowing a 3 games to 2 lead"

- "I saw them choke it all away in '69, and a juiced up wife beater named Sammy get caught with cork"

- "I have seen more below .500 seasons than I care to remember, and more ineptitude on the field than any other pro sports team can even imagine"

- "I have seen throngs of stupid, cluesless people continue to fill my stands, and yet, not once have I witnessed a northsider's championship. I AM WRIGLEY FIELD !""I smell like pee. I AM WRIGLEY FIELD!"

TDog
12-13-2005, 12:59 PM
When I got my Sox World Series DVD in the mail yesterday (not available in local stores and there are no roads out of town) my Cubs fan supervisor told me that the Sox winning the World Series has cheapened baseball for him. His take was that it shows anything can happen, but when does happen, "everyone gets excited for awhile and then they wait another 100 years."

I would love to see a "City of Champions" sweatshirt with "White Sox: 2005" on the top line, the Bulls and whenever they won their last championship on the next, then I think the Bears won in the '80s and the Black Hawks in the '60s, with the Cubs on the bottom at 1908.

Obviously I would have to do some research to make it work.

The Racehorse
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
When I got my Sox World Series DVD in the mail yesterday (not available in local stores and there are no roads out of town) my Cubs fan supervisor told me that the Sox winning the World Series has cheapened baseball for him. His take was that it shows anything can happen, but when does happen, "everyone gets excited for awhile and then they wait another 100 years."

I would love to see a "City of Champions" sweatshirt with "White Sox: 2005" on the top line, the Bulls and whenever they won their last championship on the next, then I think the Bears won in the '80s and the Black Hawks in the '60s, with the Cubs on the bottom at 1908.

Obviously I would have to do some research to make it work.
Chicago - City of Champions
Sox 2005
Bulls 1998
Bears 1985
Blackhawks 1961
Cubs 1908

Hitmen77
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Thankfully, I never heard those ads. Wow, that sounds pretty stupid. They're basically admitting that nothing really historic ever happens to the Cubs other than some Cub-centric milestones.

Wrigley has been the home of meaningless games for over a half century. They could go way back and say stuff about Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin'. But, I'm sure that wouldn't work in the ads since 98% of Cub fans would have no idea what they were talking about.

Hitmen77
12-13-2005, 02:22 PM

Wow, your supervisor sounds pretty stupid! Does he even know that the Cubs have waited almost 100 years to win the World Series?

SOXPHILE
12-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Thankfully, I never heard those ads. Wow, that sounds pretty stupid. They're basically admitting that nothing really historic ever happens to the Cubs other than some Cub-centric milestones.

Wrigley has been the home of meaningless games for over a half century. They could go way back and say stuff about Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin'. But, I'm sure that wouldn't work in the ads since 98% of Cub fans would have no idea what they were talking about.

Oh yeah. They are pretty putrid. Hence the throwing up guy in my original post. I guess for this year, they could even add something like:

"...In the winter of 2005-2006, I shivered through yet another empty, snow covered, cold Chicago winter without a championship to keep me warm, and then, in April, from 8 miles away, I witnessed a team raise the 2005 World Champions flag, and the team receive their 2005 Word Series rings. I am Wrigley Field"

eriqjaffe
12-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Wrigley has been the home of meaningless games for over a half century. They could go way back and say stuff about Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin'. But, I'm sure that wouldn't work in the ads since 98% of Cub fans would have no idea what they were talking about."I have seen the Chicago Whales win the 1915 Federal League pennant by a .001 margin. I AM WEEGHMAN PARK!"

downstairs
12-13-2005, 04:06 PM
By 2008 the White Sox will have won their 3rd straight World Series. Wrigleyville will be a ghetto again, the Trib will have sold the Cubs to a group of investors in Portland, and they'll be preparing for their first season as the Portland Cubs.

GoSox2K3
12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
"I have seen the Chicago Whales win the 1915 Federal League pennant by a .001 margin. I AM WEEGHMAN PARK!"

I have seen Cub fans brawl with the Dodgers bullpen
I have seen Cub fans throw trash on the field
I have seen a fan scapegoated for the biggest choke job in NLCS history
I AM WRIGLEY FIELD

Tekijawa
12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I AM WRIGLEY FIELD

Don't forget about the rapes and Murders!

:giantsnail

The Critic
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
I have seen a homeless man make a cottage industry of merely wearing the same uniform as the players....
I have seen drunks throw perfectly good souvenirs onto my grass under the boozy delusion that this somehow bothers the other team....
I have yet to see a World Series championship....

I am Wrigley Field....and I do, in fact, smell like pee.....

Realist
12-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Home opener for the Cubs 2008 - Lee Elia throws out the first pitch. It's caught by Lou Brock.

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 04:39 PM
100 years of losing. Now that's tradition.

Im not sure if I should be the one to laugh at that, but its HILARIOUS

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 04:47 PM
.........Where people come to Loaf by the thousands
and purchase my stale overpriced beverages
and pretend I peddle history

I am formerly known as Weeghman Park
you should Smell What I Smell

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Do you think they'll fill the hole in right by then????

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3867/801/1600/rightfield.0.jpg

areilly
12-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I can see the TV spot now.

Ernie Banks standing on the field at Wrigley...

"It's a beautiful place to lose for a century...let's lose for two!"

Kuzman
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
The "Wait till next year" marketing team would move toward a more to reality with the "Wait till next century" slogan.

FedEx227
12-20-2005, 08:41 PM
2008- Only 4 more years until Felix PIE!

RichFitztightly
12-20-2005, 09:00 PM
I AM WRIGLEY FIELD

I have seen my own fans attack our own relief pitcher on the mound

TomBradley72
12-21-2005, 01:46 AM
I have seen my own fans attack our own relief pitcher on the mound

I have seen 40,000+ give a standing ovation to a player caught using a corked bat.

gosox3072
12-21-2005, 02:16 AM
AS 000000

them

Maybe i should know this, but i dont.....What does the number mean?

spiffie
12-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Maybe i should know this, but i dont.....What does the number mean?
The AC means After Championship. It's been 2 years since they won the division, 60 since they won the NL and 97 since the World Series, so it's AC026098.

Hitmen77
12-21-2005, 12:20 PM
The AC means After Championship. It's been 2 years since they won the division, 60 since they won the NL and 97 since the World Series, so it's AC026098.

I love TheCritics name for it "The Failure Tote Board". I'll have to start referring to it as that!

itsnotrequired
12-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Technically, the AC stands for Anno Catuli which roughly translates to "Year of Our Cubs".

Hitmen77
12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Technically, the AC stands for Anno Catuli which roughly translates to "Year of Our Cubs".

:puking: :puking: :puking:

Cub fans really are full of themselves, aren't they?

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
:puking: :puking: :puking:

Cub fans really are full of themselves, aren't they?

That is the unbelievable part isnt it? Not only are they the DUMBEST fans in all of baseball, but the fact that they then turn around and are POMPOUS about is truly jaw-dropping and mind-numbingly unreal. To think we live in the same city as a group of fans so removed from reality is crazy. National Geographic needs to do a special on these people

Fredsox
12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
This is what you do when you're on vacation and you have no life.

Copy this code into Notepad on your Windows PC and save it with some name and a file extension of .vbs (such as countdown.vbs). When you click on the script it reads the date on your computer, compares it to Oct 14, 2008, and tells you how many days remain until the 100th anniversary of the cub WS.

**Please insert any disclaimer here, run at your own risk, past performance is not indiactive of future results, and yes, I got permission from the mods to post this

Dim TodaysDate, CubDate
dateTodaysDate=Date()
dateCubDate=#10/14/2008#

msgbox "Todays date is " & dateTodaysDate & vbCRLF & "There are " & DateDiff ("d",dateTodaysDate, dateCubDate) & " days until the 100th anniversary of the last cub World Series victory" & vbcrlf & "Please click OK to continue waiting."

Fenway
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Ironic that the last time the Cubs won it was before the smallest crowd in World Series history ( @ Detroit )

The attendance during Game 5 (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=190810140DET) (6,210) of the 1908 World Series was the smallest World Series crowd in major league history.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1908ws.shtml

Hangar18
12-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Ironic that the last time the Cubs won it was before the smallest crowd in World Series history ( @ Detroit )

The attendance during Game 5 (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=190810140DET) (6,210) of the 1908 World Series was the smallest World Series crowd in major league history.

EXCELLENT FENWAY, your information is Ammunition my friend.
Say, you arent in Chicago right now are you?

Fenway
12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
EXCELLENT FENWAY, your information is Ammunition my friend.
Say, you arent in Chicago right now are you?

No will be back on the 27th

TommyJohn
12-22-2005, 12:44 PM

And the largest crowd in World Series history was, of course 92,706 at
Los Angeles for Game 5 of the 1959 World Series between the Dodgers
and the White Sox.

miker
12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I have seen 40,000+ give a standing ovation to a player caught using a corked bat.
I have seen Mike Caruso hit a home run...