PDA

View Full Version : Sox&Orioles possible trade?

Whitesox4ever
12-10-2005, 09:26 AM
According to Bob Nightengale who was on XM radio said that the Sox are talking to the Orioles about an Orlando Hernandez for Bruce Chen trade..

Chen would be a nice left handed reliever

JUribe1989
12-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't see the Orioles giving up their 28 year old 13 game winner with a 3.83 ERA for a possibly 40 year old injured starter with a 5+ ERA. But, if they want to, be my guest.

Whitesox4ever
12-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I believe Chen is a free agent after the 06 season. The Orioles are a pretty bad organzation..

forrestg
12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Maybe, there is something we don't know but el Duque has shown that he can handle Boston.:bandance:

ChiSoxIn06
12-10-2005, 10:59 AM
id rather they trade him for some prospects so we can replace what we lost in the thome deal.

jabrch
12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I'd be all over that. He'd be a second left handed reliever and a spot starter, just more durable than Duque.

DickAllen72
12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
According to Bob Nightengale who was on XM radio said that the Sox are talking to the Orioles about an Orlando Hernandez for Bruce Chen trade..

Chen would be a nice left handed reliever

Maybe if we throw in Willie Harris they'll throw in Miguel Tejada & Cash.

DaleJRFan
12-10-2005, 11:19 AM
How about El Duque + Uribe + Garland for Tejada + Chen...

TomBradley72
12-10-2005, 12:09 PM
id rather they trade him for some prospects so we can replace what we lost in the thome deal.

I'm not the least bit worried about prospects....we need talent that will have a direct impact on the 2006 run to the World Series...this is our window of opportunity.

chaerulez
12-10-2005, 12:10 PM
How about El Duque + Uribe + Garland for Tejada + Chen...

If we lost Garland with that deal, even though we'd have a killer offense, we'd have no fifth starter. And I think we know what happens with good offense but huge hole in rotation = no playoffs.

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Why on earth would we trade for a LH starting pitcher that lefties hit at a .324 clip (with a .917 OPS)??? Plus, we would have to send a large suitcase of $ with El Duque because Chen makes only $550K.

This deal does not make sense...

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 12:17 PM
If we lost Garland with that deal, even though we'd have a killer offense, we'd have no fifth starter. And I think we know what happens with good offense but huge hole in rotation = no playoffs.

Chen would be the 5th starter in that scenario

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 12:18 PM
this is our window of opportunity.

Exactly.With Garland probably gone after '06,this team must
repeat and win again NOW.Crede is also an FA,as is Pierzynski.
And although the team holds a 2007 option on Beuhrle,he will
have his day in the FA sun as well.Enough with prospects and
the future.As the saying goes,THE FUTURE IS NOW.

SoxSpeed22
12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Why on earth would we trade for a LH starting pitcher that lefties hit at a .324 clip (with a .917 OPS)??? Plus, we would have to send a large suitcase of $ with El Duque because Chen makes only $550K.

This deal does not make sense...I agree, for two reasons.
The first is the stat you mentioned of lefty hitting. The second, is that El Duque is important to the team, as well as turning this man's season around.
:contreras:

fox23
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm not the least bit worried about prospects....we need talent that will have a direct impact on the 2006 run to the World Series...this is our window of opportunity.

Agreed, first prize.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2005, 12:39 PM
the future.As the saying goes,THE FUTURE IS NOW.Just curious. Are all those people who insist THE FUTURE IS NOW the same people who, a few short months ago, were insisting that THE FUTURE WAS THEN and didn't care about 2006? I presume that if the Sox do win it in 2006, THE FUTURE WILL BE LATER.

KRS1
12-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Joe is not an FA until after the 07' season,and I think it's likely we work on a long term dael w/ AJ this offseason.

Fredsox
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Just curious. Are all those people who insist THE FUTURE IS NOW the same people who, a few short months ago, were insisting that THE FUTURE WAS THEN and didn't care about 2006? I presume that if the Sox do win it in 2006, THE FUTURE WILL BE LATER.

Speaking as a FUTURE WAS THEN guy, I got what I wanted: a WS championship. Now I want another one as we are CLEARLY in reach of it. Screw 2007, I'll worry about it while I'm polishing my 2 consecutive WS trophies on the mantle. As long as we have this pitching staff in one piece we have a legit shot at the Big Prize. The 2007 season is not something I'm concerned about, we'll deal with it later.

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Call me an idiot, but I will take Uribe over Tejada any flippin' day!
There is just something about Tejada's makeup that I do not like. I don't believe he will ever win a championship. Uribe has huge upside...

samram
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Call me an idiot, but I will take Uribe over Tejada any flippin' day!
There is just something about Tejada's makeup that I do not like. I don't believe he will ever win a championship. Uribe has huge upside...

I hate to disagree with you, but Miguel Tejada is a top ten player in MLB. He would more than ably replace Uribe.

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Just curious. Are all those people who insist THE FUTURE IS NOW the same people who, a few short months ago, were insisting that THE FUTURE WAS THEN and didn't care about 2006? I presume that if the Sox do win it in 2006, THE FUTURE WILL BE LATER.

All I am saying is the Sox need to strike while the iron's hot
and try to repeat.When I say "the future is now",I mean the
Sox can't be content with winning just one WS;they have to
"go for the gold" now.Judging by KW's offseason acqusitions
so far,i'm not dissapointed.

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I hate to disagree with you, but Miguel Tejada is a top ten player in MLB. He would more than ably replace Uribe.

So you are calling me an idiot then? :redneck

Cirrusly, I agree with you. He is a Top 10 player. So is Manny, but I wouldn't want him in my clubhouse....

samram
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
So you are calling me an idiot then? :redneck

Cirrusly, I agree with you. He is a Top 10 player. So is Manny, but I wouldn't want him in my clubhouse....

I wouldn't call someone an idiot. That's the pot calling the kettle black to an extreme extent.

Tejada is supposedly a good guy, so I don't think he would be a problem in the clubhouse. As for Manny, the BoSox did manage to win a World Series with him, and the Sox seem to have a manager who deals with potential clubhouse problems very well.

Fuller_Schettman
12-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't call someone an idiot. That's the pot calling the kettle black to an extreme extent.

I'm just messin' around with ya... :D:

Tragg
12-10-2005, 09:37 PM
El D is a much better pitcher than Bruce Chen. Talent downgrades are not the way to win WS #2, imo.

We're going to contend for several more years. Not that this trade affects the future, but as No 2 pointed out, good thing Kenny didn't throw away the future last summer, as many suggested he do. The pining for AJ BUrnett comes to mind - that would have thrown away the future AND the present.

RetireWoodys28
12-11-2005, 02:58 AM
A FEW OF THE MORE MEMORABLE MOMENTS FROM MIGUEL TEJADA'S CAREER:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/juanps.jpg

I'll take my chances with #5, thank you. The O's can keep their superstar.

caulfield12
12-11-2005, 09:10 AM

We have Crede through the 2007 season. Buehrle, Garcia and McCarthy through 2007, and Brandon obviously longer.

Garland and Contreras, but hopefully not both, could be gone after next year.

I think AJ will sign a 2-3 year extension and avoid arbitration. We certainly have nobody on the horizon in terms of catching prospects, and he was one of the biggest keys to our changed attitude and clubhouse environment.

caulfield12
12-11-2005, 09:13 AM
El D is a much better pitcher than Bruce Chen. Talent downgrades are not the way to win WS #2, imo.

We're going to contend for several more years. Not that this trade affects the future, but as No 2 pointed out, good thing Kenny didn't throw away the future last summer, as many suggested he do. The pining for AJ BUrnett comes to mind - that would have thrown away the future AND the present.

Not to mention the fact that we would never have seen Crede have his breakthrough playoffs and last six weeks of the season...we probably would have been watching Mike Lowell in horror as his defensive mistakes hindered the White Sox starting staff.

Tragg
12-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Not to mention the fact that we would never have seen Crede have his breakthrough playoffs and last six weeks of the season...we probably would have been watching Mike Lowell in horror as his defensive mistakes hindered the White Sox starting staff.
A lot of that has to do with the Marlins effect - the Marlins who played so well in 2003 are revered by people who are so anti-Cubs focused. So revered, that it is assumed that their performance then is their performance all the time. We saw a taste of it with Juan Pierre this winter.

El D give us a lot of insurance this year - and this year, we can afford the insurance in the form of his high salary. So keep him. We will need starter insurance, insurance against a bullpen that did have some career years and some injury issues. (Politte, Hermanson, Hermanson).

MadetoOrta
12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
After seeing what Burnett and Howry signed for, I'm not sure El Duque's salary is that unreasonable.

samram
12-11-2005, 10:49 AM
A FEW OF THE MORE MEMORABLE MOMENTS FROM MIGUEL TEJADA'S CAREER:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/juanps.jpg

I'll take my chances with #5, thank you. The O's can keep their superstar.

I like Uribe and would have no problem with his being the Opening Day SS in 2006. However, if you're arguing that he's better than Tejada, you would be incorrect.

OzzieBall2005
12-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Mike Lowell won the 2005 NL Gold Glove for 3B.

IowaSox1971
12-12-2005, 01:37 AM
If El Duque leaves, how would that affect Contreras? El Duque seems to give Contreras confidence.Have McCarthy be the fifth starter, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having El Duque on the team as a spot starter/long reliever. Give him about 10 or 12 starts next season and give him some relief appearances now and then. And, of course, have him on the postseason roster for whenever he might be needed. El Duque is an asset for this team in many ways.

DaleJRFan
12-12-2005, 10:49 AM

I think you missed the +Chen part....

Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
McCarthy
Chen

I was messing around anyway. I'd rather stick with Uribe and Garland over Tejada...

Hangar18
12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't see the Orioles giving up their 28 year old 13 game winner with a 3.83 ERA for a possibly 40 year old injured starter with a 5+ ERA. But, if they want to, be my guest.

Dont give Hendry any ideas please ..........

TheOldRoman
12-12-2005, 11:15 AM
:rolleyes:
Are you in love with Jim Hendry? Why cant you accept that he is a really bad GM?

Deuce
12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
id rather they trade him for some prospects so we can replace what we lost in the thome deal.I don't. 2006 is our best chance to get a Championship, before free agency splits up this team.

nodiggity59
12-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Seriously, stop the man crush. The guy hasn't done ****! The 03 Cubs won 87 freaking games. He got ****ed over in the Nomar deal; I'm surprised he had to give up more than a bag of balls for a guy who hadn't played ALL SEASON and was a FA at the end of the year. If I had been the Pirates GM, I would've dealt Ramirez as well; he'd been dismal for over a year at $6mil. He got the bad end of the Pierre deal. The only "great" move he's made was the Lee deal.

kwolf68
12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I hate these ideas. My god...We already traded A-Ro and since then we have bantered about dealing off Crede, Garland, and Uribe.

I like Juan. He busted his tail last year. Remember how bad he was early? Swinging at nats in the night? By the end of the year he was a pretty decent hitter, was playing great defense and if not for his cannon arm we still may be playing the World Series.

Yea, Tejada is a great player, but no way in hell would I give up Juan and Garland for him. If they dealt back Hayden Penn then we could talk. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
All I am saying is the Sox need to strike while the iron's hot
and try to repeat.When I say "the future is now",I mean the
Sox can't be content with winning just one WS;they have to
"go for the gold" now.Judging by KW's offseason acqusitions
so far,i'm not dissapointed.The point was, if they had taken the "screw next year" approach last year, as a lot of people were advocating, their chances for 2006 might be a lot dimmer. McCarthy, Anderson, Young and just about any other young player with potential would be gone.