PDA

View Full Version : Sox tentative 2002 Schedule

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:26 PM
I surprised no one has posted it yet or they did and I'm a retard who cant read either way (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011222_schedul e_news&team_id=cws)

Daver
12-22-2001, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I surprised no one has posted it yet or they did and I'm a retard who cant read either way (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011222_schedul e_news&team_id=cws)

Your link doesn't work.I get an error message.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:32 PM
Your link doesn't work... Anyway, I wasn't surprised to see the Sox opening on the road for the nth consecutive time. Does anyone here remember the last time the Sox opened a season at home?

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:34 PM
Lets Try Again (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20011222_schedul e_news&team_id=cws)

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 04:34 PM
I fixed his link.

Daver
12-22-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Your link doesn't work... Anyway, I wasn't surprised to see the Sox opening on the road for the nth consecutive time. Does anyone here remember the last time the Sox opened a season at home?

95 I think,they usually start on the road cause there is still snow here,or it's just too damn cold.I think they should consider playing a 140 game season and moving opening day forward two weeks,it would solve that problem.

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:36 PM

We do get the nice 10 game home stand right after that though

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

95 I think,they usually start on the road cause there is still snow here,or it's just too damn cold.I think they should consider playing a 140 game season and moving opening day forward two weeks,it would solve that problem.

Plus this year it gives them extra days for the construction

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:40 PM
And what genius in the schedulemaker's office thought that there would be the slightest bit of interest in the Sox playing NL East teams? Interleague play is a stupid idea to begin with - Gee, there's record attendance for baseball, and people love the sport, let's fix something that isn't broken by scheduling a half-dozen series that no fans from either team will have the slightest interest in!!!

Other than the Sox-Cubs series, the whole thing is pointless from a fan's standpoint, and even the Sox-Cubs series doesn't really do anything for me - if the Sox win, it's just the natural order of things, but if they lose, I feel like committing hari-kiri.

KempersRS
12-22-2001, 04:43 PM
OMG, they are coming to Philly!? I actually get to see them in person?! There better be a baseball season this year! Wow, I better go order my tickets! :D:

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:43 PM

Well, if they didn't have the stupid division series, then it wouldn't have to be so early. And the Cubs seem to open at home about every other year, and I don't think it's much colder in Wrigleyville than it is on the South Side.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
OMG, they are coming to Philly!? I actually get to see them in person?! There better be a baseball season this year! Wow, I better go order my tickets! :D:

Sorry Kempers, I didn't see that you live in the Philly area. I'm just pissed b/c interleague and the unbalanced schedule made it so that the Sox only came out to Oakland once last season, and of course they were mired in that horrible May slump at the time. I couldn't bring myself to go out to the park. The Sox got swept.

Daver
12-22-2001, 04:45 PM

Well, if they didn't have the stupid division series, then it wouldn't have to be so early. And the Cubs seem to open at home about every other year, and I don't think it's much colder in Wrigleyville than it is on the South Side.

For the last 4 years the Cubs have started on the road.

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:46 PM
And what genius in the schedulemaker's office thought that there would be the slightest bit of interest in the Sox playing NL East teams? Interleague play is a stupid idea to begin with - Gee, there's record attendance for baseball, and people love the sport, let's fix something that isn't broken by scheduling a half-dozen series that no fans from either team will have the slightest interest in!!!

Other than the Sox-Cubs series, the whole thing is pointless from a fan's standpoint, and even the Sox-Cubs series doesn't really do anything for me - if the Sox win, it's just the natural order of things, but if they lose, I feel like committing hari-kiri.

I just want them to play the NL West so I can go see a Sox game t Dodger Stadium. It's just so much closer than Anaheim

FarWestChicago

Sorry Kempers, I didn't see that you live in the Philly area. I'm just pissed b/c interleague and the unbalanced schedule made it so that the Sox only came out to Oakland once last season, and of course they were mired in that horrible May slump at the time. I couldn't bring myself to go out to the park. The Sox got swept. You're going this year, Czal. Me and Ode are going to meet you there. We're doing WSI Left Coast. :smile:

KempersRS

Sorry Kempers, I didn't see that you live in the Philly area. I'm just pissed b/c interleague and the unbalanced schedule made it so that the Sox only came out to Oakland once last season, and of course they were mired in that horrible May slump at the time. I couldn't bring myself to go out to the park. The Sox got swept.

Yeah, now I am really hoping that do not play like garbage next season. I hope I get to see a decent ball club when I go out there.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You're going this year, Czal. Me and Ode are going to meet you there. We're doing WSI Left Coast. :smile:

April 26-28th. I'll be there. Just let me know when and where. Heck, we can probably get box seats day-of-game.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Yeah, now I am really hoping that do not play like garbage next season. I hope I get to see a decent ball club when I go out there.

God, it was awful. The Sox were stumbling along, just having gotten swept out of Seattle. The A's had just swept the Yankees. I could see what was coming, and I didn't want to witness it. I'm not the type of person who stares at train wrecks.

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 04:54 PM

April 26-28th. I'll be there. Just let me know when and where. Heck, we can probably get box seats day-of-game. Saturday the 27th looks good. I'm going over to Ode's tomorrow. We'll make plans. :smile:

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 04:55 PM

God, it was awful. The Sox were stumbling along, just having gotten swept out of Seattle. The A's had just swept the Yankees. I could see what was coming, and I didn't want to witness it. I'm not the type of person who stares at train wrecks. We went. That's when we had to suffer through having Julio's and Royce's batting averages up on the scoreboard at the same time. I still can't believe the A's fans were nice enough to not laugh at us.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 04:58 PM
Yeah, A's fans are cool; they're pretty knowledgeable about the game, and tend to be pretty friendly, too. I think it's the warmer weather over in East Bay or something...

Chisox_cali
12-22-2001, 04:59 PM
Too Bad There is no WSI Southern Left Coast Contingent cause I got nobody to go to Angel games with. There were A LOT of Sox fans there the time I went last year and i was lucky enough to be sitting by a nice family of them.

Jjav829
12-22-2001, 05:01 PM
Hmm this is interesting. Apparently we are going to Detoit. Never heard of that place before. I hope its nice.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 05:03 PM
West, you realize that if the schedule and the rotation holds, the Sox will be sending whoever their # 5 guy is out there that day?

Just an FYI...

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 05:14 PM
West, you realize that if the schedule and the rotation holds, the Sox will be sending whoever their # 5 guy is out there that day?

Just an FYI... No guts, no glory! :smile:

HootieMcBoob
12-22-2001, 06:09 PM

Whoa - what are you talking about??????
Interleague play is awesome - I love being able to watch the Sox play teams I've never seen before. We'll be able to see Vlady, Alomar and Juan Gon on the METS, see how the Sox handle the Braves' pitching staff, and play the surprising Phillies (w/ studs like Rolen and ROLLINS)

Do you really care who the Sox' competition is??? I just love good baseball, and new opponents are totally welcome to me.

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

Whoa - what are you talking about??????
Interleague play is awesome - I love being able to watch the Sox play teams I've never seen before. We'll be able to see Vlady, Alomar and Juan Gon on the METS, see how the Sox handle the Braves' pitching staff, and play the surprising Phillies (w/ studs like Rolen and ROLLINS)

Do you really care who the Sox' competition is??? I just love good baseball, and new opponents are totally welcome to me.

I guess it all depends what your perspective is on the sport. For me, part of the fun of being a baseball fan is its history and tradition, and when the owners lightly tossed aside over 90 years of tradition in exchange for a temporary attendance-boost for a handful of games, it made me a little bitter.

I remember growing up arguing with Cub fans about who was better (the debates went on and on, especially in the '83-'90 period), and one of the cool things was that the argument wouldn't boil down to a couple 3-game sets.

The main problem I've had with interleague play is that it's eroded the specialness of the All-Star Game (not a big deal to me, but it is to some) and, more importantly, the World Series. When the AL and the NL were discrete leagues, the only time they would face each other in serious competition was in the World Series. This made the World Series even more important, and gave it an elevated status, IMO, over any other sports championship. The NBA championships and the Stanley Cup are almost a relief from endless playoff rounds, the Super Bowl an overhyped yawn-fest where neither coach takes any risks, but the World Series, that was special.

And interleague play has taken away some of that specialness. And from a practical perspective, the Sox could draw more fans with another series against Seattle or New York at Comiskey than one with Montreal.

Of course, I'm apparently in the minority here, and people said the same thing about the DH, and that's still around. Probably in 20 years, the Sox will be playing a quarter of their games against NL opponents, including 12 against the Cubs, and no one will be batting an eye.

*sigh* It's tough to be a purist when the guys running things aren't...

Daver
12-22-2001, 06:33 PM

*sigh* It's tough to be a purist when the guys running things aren't...

Its tough to be a baseball fan when the man steering the ship keeps aiming at icebergs.
Bud (the spineless wonder) captain of the Titanic.

Spiff
12-22-2001, 07:04 PM
The Sox are coming to Boston! Sweet!

czalgosz
12-22-2001, 07:17 PM

Its tough to be a baseball fan when the man steering the ship keeps aiming at icebergs.
Bud (the spineless wonder) captain of the Titanic.

I have to agree... But that's a whole other thread.

longshot7
12-22-2001, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You're going this year, Czal. Me and Ode are going to meet you there. We're doing WSI Left Coast. :smile:

Count me in, too. I'm going up for it. You guys should come down for the Angels series.

FarWestChicago
12-22-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

Count me in, too. I'm going up for it. You guys should come down for the Angels series. Cool. NUCatsFan is up here, too. I know I'm missing somebody else.

longshot7
12-22-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Too Bad There is no WSI Southern Left Coast Contingent cause I got nobody to go to Angel games with. There were A LOT of Sox fans there the time I went last year and i was lucky enough to be sitting by a nice family of them.

Cali, we'll have to hook up. I'm going.

ihatethecubs
12-22-2001, 07:58 PM
Oh man I can not wait until the Expos come to town!

Soxheads
12-22-2001, 08:16 PM
I live in NE Iowa-a place no one has ever or will ever go to. So much for the Upper Middle Coast WSI Get-Together on the banks of the Mississippi

Chisox_cali
12-23-2001, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

Cali, we'll have to hook up. I'm going.

Sounds good

nut_stock
12-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Me and 1 of my buddies are considering a roadtrip to Fenway for the Sox vs the Sox.