PDA

View Full Version : Great commentary on Big Frank.

ChiSoxLifer
12-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Great commentary written about Big Frank in that nameless newspaper. I don't know how the editors allowed this.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051209soxthomas,1,7534697.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

IlliniSox4Life
12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree. Just read this and came here looking to see if anyone else had. He sums up a lot of my thoughts perfectly.

I was at the Memorial Day game he talks about. I went just because it was Frank's first day back. All they had were standing room tickets left, but we got em any way. Two of my Sox fan friends and I went with one of their Cub fan girlfriends and another Cub fan friend of ours. As much as he hates the Sox, we had our Cub fan friend cheering for Frank at every at bat. No matter what team you cheer for, you can't not appreciate somebody with Frank's skills. Anyway, Frank got taken out, and Timo subbed for him and had a walk off single to left/center. As exciting as it was, I couldn't help but think "how cool would it have been if that was Frank's hit".

RallyBowl
12-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Now that's what I call Journalism!

I too went to the Memorial Day game, for the sole purpose of seeing Frank return, and it did not dissapoint. I think I remember him saying that he was almost moved to tears when he was announced for his first at bat. That was the same game that they announced KW had signed Ozzie to an extension. It was also (IIRC) just after Chico Carrasquel died, and they honored him at the game. Timo had a GWRBI. Add the cheers from all three of those things, and they don't add up to what it sounded like when THE HURT came to the plate. And it was my daughter and wife's first game, to boot!

Until I see him in another uniform, I will be wishing that somehow he will be a part of our team next year. I will miss you Frank.

And again, What a great article!

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I was also at the Memorial Day game for much the same reason. It was terrific. I will never forget the ovation, and Frank's humility for not stepping back and acknowledging the crowd. He went on with his business and the game unlike many others would have done. I will also remember his "right size, wrong shape" HR-distance shot he hit foul down the leftfield line in that game - a shot that said "I'm Back".

As I mentioned in another thread this week, I hope when Frank comes back to Chicago this season that AJ will stand and the pitcher will stay off of the rubber for the ovation the fans will no doubt give him. I think we were ready on Memorial Day to remain standing for 5-10 minutes. I certainly don't think that will be out of the question this time either.

Chrisaway
12-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I will never root against Frank Thomas.

SoxFan76
12-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I was at the Memorial Day game as well. I was almost in tears, I can't imagine how Frank felt.

I've been trying to not think about Frank leaving. It is just to upsetting to think about.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Great column, I hope to be in Cooperstown to see Frank's induction in 5-7 years

Huisj
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
One beef with the column:

as he planted his prodigious back foot and waved those massive arms.

Thomas was notorious for actually lifting the back foot while waving those massive arms.

Otherwise, yes, very good column.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2005, 01:05 AM
One beef with the column:

Thomas was notorious for actually lifting the back foot while waving those massive arms.

Otherwise, yes, very good column.I think he was talking about Frank getting set in the box, not actually hitting.

wassagstdu
12-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Another one:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-nancyarmour&prov=ap&type=lgns

I hope the Sox have made it clear to Frank that if he is healthy on May 1 and hasn't signed elsewhere he will be part of the Sox team. What are the chances of both of those conditions being met? Zero, I think, but there has to be a way to keep Frank Thomas in the organization.

LAZCONUS
12-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Frank did some silly things throughout his career. However, the positives far out weighed the negatives. I would love to see him hit 500 homers but God forbid its in a Twins uniform. I've never booed the man and I never will.

TheVulture
12-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Hmm, Frank's no longer with the Sox and now the Trib finally publishes a complimentary piece on him. What are the odds?