PDA

View Full Version : The Pierre Trade Just got Worse!

Tekijawa
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
This from rotoworld:

Juan Pierre (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6550) - OF - Cubs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=CHC)

The Cubs aren't planning to seek a long-term contract with Juan Pierre before the start of next season, his last before free agency.
Felix Pie could be ready to play center field in 2007, so it's possible Pierre is just a one-year rental for the Cubs. Dec. 9 - 3:02

Pretty expensive Band-aide!

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 03:22 PM
The Cubs feel no pressure from the Sox's success.

Banix12
12-09-2005, 03:28 PM
This from rotoworld:

Juan Pierre (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6550) - OF - Cubs (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=CHC)

The Cubs aren't planning to seek a long-term contract with Juan Pierre before the start of next season, his last before free agency.
Felix Pie could be ready to play center field in 2007, so it's possible Pierre is just a one-year rental for the Cubs. Dec. 9 - 3:02

None of the guys they have coming up who should be ready by next year, including Pie, appear to be leadoff man material. Not signing Pierre would come back to bite them especially after giving up two of the better pitching prospects not named Hill and Guzman for him.

Pie is just Corey Patterson part two. Very fast and has the physical tools that make people think he is a leadoff man but his bat appears better suited for lower in the order. High strikeouts, decent power, low walk. If they think he is going to be the leadoff man of the future they are dreaming.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
None of the guys they have coming up who should be ready by next year, including Pie, appear to be leadoff man material. Not signing Pierre would come back to bite them especially after giving up two of the better pitching prospects not named Hill and Guzman for him.

Pie is just Corey Patterson part two. Very fast and has the physical tools that make people think he is a leadoff man but his bat appears better suited for lower in the order. High strikeouts, decent power, low walk. If they think he is going to be the leadoff man of the future they are dreaming.

They'd be better off keeping Pierre and trying to move him to LF is they think Pie is ready. They're going to break Pie in by asking him to lead off? If that's not a recipe for disaster I don't know what is...

Pie is hitting something like .210 in the Venezuelan Winter League. The same league Jerry Owens is hitting something like .375.

TheOldRoman
12-09-2005, 03:42 PM
The Cubs feel no pressure from the Sox's success.
They shouldn't. As PHG has said before, Chicago is a bad baseball town. The majority of the people embrace losing. It doesn't matter if the Cubs suck or not because the Urinal experience is not about baseball. It is about "tradition". It is about getting smashed at the park, talking on your cellphone, waving to the cameras, leaning back and tanning shirtless, throwing garbage onto the field, booing the umpires after borderline calls, not paying attention to the game, and then getting getting into a drunken brawl at High Tops just like their Grandpas did years ago.:rolleyes:
The Cubs do not market baseball, so they shouldn't feel threatened. The yuppies and fratboys will still go to the park because its "cool" to be seen there. USCF will never be (thank God) the destination the Urinal is. As long as the Tribune owns the Cubs, they will run nonstop stories glorifying the Urinal and ripping apart Bridgeport. Until the Sox shows that they can sell 3 million tickets for a last place team, the Cubs won't be threatened.

Banix12
12-09-2005, 04:03 PM
They'd be better off keeping Pierre and trying to move him to LF is they think Pie is ready. They're going to break Pie in by asking him to lead off? If that's not a recipe for disaster I don't know what is...

Pie is hitting something like .210 in the Venezuelan Winter League. The same league Jerry Owens is hitting something like .375.

I believe that was the plan last season before Pie got hurt in the minors. Right around the same timet they called up Murton they were going to call up Pie and i'm pretty sure he was going to be thrown in the leadoff spot.

It's another case where they love his speed and think it will work out. However if his power continues to develop he is probably better suited for somewhere lower in the order. I don't know why the cubs are in a rush to get him to the majors. He is only 20 years old

Fenway
12-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I can see it now the Yankees muddle without a CF in 06 and then go after Pierre in 07. Explains why they not making a bigger offer to Damon.

Hendry has to stop listening to that guy at Starbucks on Addison that tells him what to do.

You know the guy "Christmas Blend Woo......Juan Pierre Woo"

seriously I ran into Woo Woo at that Starbucks and I don't think he has taken a bath since the last time the Cubs won a pennant.

wdelaney72
12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
I can see it now the Yankees muddle without a CF in 06 and then go after Pierre in 07. Explains why they not making a bigger offer to Damon.

Hendry has to stop listening to that guy at Starbucks on Addison that tells him what to do.

You know the guy "Christmas Blend Woo......Juan Pierre Woo"

seriously I ran into Woo Woo at that Starbucks and I don't think he has taken a bath since the last time the Cubs won a pennant.

Since Boston offerred Damon arbitration, I don't see the Yankees as being in any hurry to sign Damon. In fact, I think Damon is 3rd or 4th on their CF wish list. I think the Yankees would rather have Juan Pierre, Brad Wilkerson, Aaron Rowand / Jason Michaels, or even Milton Bradley.

soxwon
12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
This from rotoworld:

whens ty griffin going to come up?

itsnotrequired
12-09-2005, 06:30 PM
This from rotoworld:

Pierre is the last piece that the Cubs need to complete a championship-caliber team. Looks like they are going for it all this year!

Tragg
12-09-2005, 06:40 PM

I think the opposite - the Yankees would have been willing to have him for a year, but want a real defender patrolling CF for them.

RallyBowl
12-09-2005, 06:54 PM
This from rotoworld:

Man do they suck. I'm glad I was born on the right side of town.

gowhitesox
12-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Leave it to the Cubs! They will never feel pressure to win because they have no idea what it is like.

Thank goodness I visited the White Sox spring training camp in 1976!! Otherwise I would have never experienced the joy of the 2005 World Champion White Sox.

veeter
12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Man do they suck. I'm glad I was born on the right side of town.Amen to that.

RallyBowl
12-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't they want someone who is so "personable" to stick around for a while?

Sit back and enjoy the show, folks. We are witnessing the beginning of the end for Dusty and McFail.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I ordinarily don't care much what the Cubs do, but from an outsider's perspective, the last two offseasons have been positively laughable. I compare them to a car hurtling and swerving down the expressway with no one behind the wheel...

nccwsfan
12-09-2005, 10:20 PM

Banix, POTW! Pie is a flawed player and if the 1908's don't realize this then shame on them, because this has Patterson II written all over it. Clearly not ready for the majors- he is too undisciplined of a hitter to be a productive leadoff hitter in 2006. Heck he might never get the skills down to be an effective leadoff guy.

If they're honestly waiting for Pie, we're going to love the results...

Banix12
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Banix, POTW! Pie is a flawed player and if the 1908's don't realize this then shame on them, because this has Patterson II written all over it. Clearly not ready for the majors- he is too undisciplined of a hitter to be a productive leadoff hitter in 2006. Heck he might never get the skills down to be an effective leadoff guy.

Thanks for the compliment.

I think the jury is still out on whether Pie can develop enough power to be a major league power hitter either. I really have no clue why the cubs have been thinking about rushing this guy to the majors. His injury last season might have been the best thing to happen to him.

I think though with both patterson and probably Pie if they would lower their expectations that these guys are going to be the second coming of Lou Brock or Rickey Henderson and just accept their skills for what they are they would be much happier. In the case of patterson if they would just accept that he is a good power, high K, low walk guy and not try to change him they could stick him safely in the 6-7-8 hole. Don't put a ton of pressure on him and he might just hit the team 20-30 HR's and would get a fair amount of RBI's. Of course he would strike out 170 times but better he do that in the 7 hole than the 1 hole.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-10-2005, 04:38 PM
The Cubs are the masters at over-hyping their prospects. I've been hearing from buddies every year since 1973 about all the "studs" they have in the minors who are going to come up "next year and be great". Then every following year when I ask what happened to the studs, they tell me about all the studs coming up next year. See the pattern with these morons? I have come to enjoy it, because they really believe the hype every year. Simpletons......

Fake Chet Lemon
12-10-2005, 04:43 PM
I really don't believe the Cubs feel any pressure with the Sox as World champs. After all, didn't they say in Field of Dreams?:

"Build an outdoor urinal with cold beer, and the clownbags will come."

The clownbags will buy every available ticket on DAY ONE when they go on sale. Unless you hit a business in the pocket-book, they don't feel pressure.

nccwsfan
12-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I think the jury is still out on whether Pie can develop enough power to be a major league power hitter either. I really have no clue why the cubs have been thinking about rushing this guy to the majors. His injury last season might have been the best thing to happen to him.

I think though with both patterson and probably Pie if they would lower their expectations that these guys are going to be the second coming of Lou Brock or Rickey Henderson and just accept their skills for what they are they would be much happier. In the case of patterson if they would just accept that he is a good power, high K, low walk guy and not try to change him they could stick him safely in the 6-7-8 hole. Don't put a ton of pressure on him and he might just hit the team 20-30 HR's and would get a fair amount of RBI's. Of course he would strike out 170 times but better he do that in the 7 hole than the 1 hole.

He could be a productive 8 or 9 hitter someday, but you know that they're gonna throw him to the wolves and hype him up as their future leadoff hitter. Again, it's a new disaster waiting to happen....

SoxEd
12-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Foolish Sox fans - all this talk of Pie is mere tomfoolery!

The Cubbies have only signed Pierre as backup for Damon, who has instructed his Agent Scott Boras to tell the Cubs he will pay them in order to play at Beautiful Wrigley Field for the Most Historic Team in all of Baseball.

Don't you guys read the papers?

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=TheOldRoman] Chicago is a bad baseball town. The majority of the people embrace losing. It doesn't matter if the Cubs suck or not because the Urinal experience is not about baseball. It is about "tradition". It is about getting smashed at the park, talking on your cellphone, waving to the cameras, leaning back and tanning shirtless, throwing garbage onto the field, booing the umpires after borderline calls, not paying attention to the game, and then getting getting into a drunken brawl at High Tops just like their Grandpas did years ago.:rolleyes:[QUOTE]

All these reasons (and more) made me a Sox fan in 1970,when
it was Comiskey Park that was refered to as an "outdoor tavern".
I was raised by my dad to believe that it's ok to have a beer or 2,
but PAY ATTENTION TO AS MUCH OF THE GAME AS POSSIBLE!!:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I ordinarily don't care much what the Cubs do, but from an outsider's perspective, the last two offseasons have been positively laughable. I compare them to a car hurtling and swerving down the expressway with no one behind the wheel...

I always like to think of them as a car without brakes
about to hit a brick wall.And,as you say,no one's behind
the wheel.:D: :D: :D:

Banix12
12-10-2005, 09:24 PM
He could be a productive 8 or 9 hitter someday, but you know that they're gonna throw him to the wolves and hype him up as their future leadoff hitter. Again, it's a new disaster waiting to happen....

Looking at the way they treated Patterson and the way they are hyping up Pie, the biggest curse you can have as a young hitter in the cubs organization is speed. No way do these guys have the bat to leadoff or even bat at the top of the order but because they have speed and look like a guy who can steal 40 bases they get hung out to dry.

PatK
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
They'd be better off keeping Pierre and trying to move him to LF is they think Pie is ready. .

Then who would play right?

Murton has to play left because he's got a weak arm.

jabrch
12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
whens ty griffin going to come up?

I think he is turning DPs with Jason Dellaero.