PDA

View Full Version : For the over 35s in the audience

Mark
12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Last night while poking around the basement, I pulled a July 1976 copy of the Sporting News out of mothballs (well, not really, but you know what I mean) with Milwaukee pitcher Bill Travers on the cover.

I turned to the middle of the paper to check out the MLB boxscores.

What caught my eye there was a box from the Rangers-Sox game at Comiskey on 7/3/76. The Sox were shut out by Nelson Briles, 3-0, but the game was referred to as a "Breakfast Special" since it began, I believe, at 10:00 am.

Does anybody here remember Bill Veeck having this kind of promotion, or better yet, did anybody here attend the game? I think the attendance was a little over 10,000. I was a Sox fan at the time, but I don't have recall of this Saturday morning game.

That was a particularly tough summer to endure, with the Sons of Paul Richards crossing the finish line with an AL-worst 64-97 record. And even though his name appeared in the boxscore of that July 3rd game, I cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox. And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?

The one thing in the weekly Sox article in that issue that jumped out at me is that at one stretch of the season, the Sox went something like 15 straight games without hitting a homer. :o: Spencer and Orta led the team that season with 14 homers apiece.

The other thing that I thought was amusing was the transmission of MLB stats 30 years ago in the Sporting News, as compared to the "instant internet access" of today. The issue I looked through was dated 7/24, and yet the team-by-team stat section of MLB batting and pitching averages were only through games of 7/6, and the standings listed were only through 7/12. Quite a different era.

eriqjaffe
12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
LI cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox.Yep. According to baseball-reference, Rich got into 32 games in 1976, posting a wonderful .156 batting average in 96 at-bats.

TheKittle
12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I enjoy look back at old magazine articles too. I always go back to the 1983 SI articles about the White Sox pitching staff. Dennis Lamp, Jim Kern, Kevin Hickey.

Whenever the White Sox play like crap, I go back and read the SI article about the White Sox moving to Florida. Nice picture of a Florida license plate in front of Comiskey Park.

Whenever I think about Comiskey Park I read the SI article about the last season at Comiskey Park. Great comparison between being a White Sox fan and a cub fan.

White Sox Fan cubs
Drink Beer Whine
Dress Jeans Pastels colors

ewokpelts
12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I think McDonalds sponsored that game. i belive they were promoting thier breakfast sammiches.

Gene (not over 35, but i read that nugget somewhere)

TommyJohn
12-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Last night while poking around the basement, I pulled a July 1976 copy of the Sporting News out of mothballs (well, not really, but you know what I mean) with Milwaukee pitcher Bill Travers on the cover.

I turned to the middle of the paper to check out the MLB boxscores.

What caught my eye there was a box from the Rangers-Sox game at Comiskey on 7/3/76. The Sox were shut out by Nelson Briles, 3-0, but the game was referred to as a "Breakfast Special" since it began, I believe, at 10:00 am.

Does anybody here remember Bill Veeck having this kind of promotion, or better yet, did anybody here attend the game? I think the attendance was a little over 10,000. I was a Sox fan at the time, but I don't have recall of this Saturday morning game.

That was a particularly tough summer to endure, with the Sons of Paul Richards crossing the finish line with an AL-worst 64-97 record. And even though his name appeared in the boxscore of that July 3rd game, I cannot remember Rich Coggins playing for the Sox. The Orioles, yes, but not the Sox. And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?

The one thing in the weekly Sox article in that issue that jumped out at me is that at one stretch of the season, the Sox went something like 15 straight games without hitting a homer. :o: Spencer and Orta led the team that season with 14 homers apiece.

The other thing that I thought was amusing was the transmission of MLB stats 30 years ago in the Sporting News, as compared to the "instant internet access" of today. The issue I looked through was dated 7/24, and yet the team-by-team stat section of MLB batting and pitching averages were only through games of 7/6, and the standings listed were only through 7/12. Quite a different era.

I was at that game with my father and brother. It was a "Ronald McDonald
Breakfast Day" promotion. My dad took us because we wanted to see RMD.
I was 7 at the time, but do have a vague memory of the game. I can
remember watching the Rangers 3rd baseman Danny Thompson, who would
later die of leukemia.

veeter
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I remember that Coggins could fly.

MeteorsSox4367
12-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Didn't Sam Ewing play for Toronto's 1977 expansion team? I seem to remember him doing so.

tebman
12-09-2005, 02:50 PM
I remember that game being on TV, with Harry Caray making cracks about how early he had to get up. At least I assume it was that one, unless there was more than one "Breakfast Game."

Another bit of Bill Veeck folklore.

Fenway
12-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Veeck was started a game at Midnight when he owned the Browns and called it a Milkman's Matinee. I read somewhere it drew 6,000 which for the Brownies was a good crowd.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
The better one was the following year, May 14, 1977. The Sox played a game with Cleveland that started at 10:30 am. That was the game where Jim Spencer drove in eight runs in an 18-2 slaughter. I was returning home to Chicago for the summer from the University of Kentucky and as I was hitting the Indianapolis area I picked up the game. I remember thinking 'what the hell are they doing playing in the morning???'

This was also coming off of 'anti-superstition night' at Comiskey Park the evening before. Yes they played a night game with a promotion on Friday the 13th then had the players turn around for a morning game!

Eric Soderholm talks about this in his WSI Interview.

Lip

Dick Allen
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I was at that game in '76, McDonald's breakfast game. The Sox' performance didn't exactly help keep me awake. I remember my friend had a radio with him, Harry complaining about how he had to catch this game on the way home.

JoeyCora28
12-09-2005, 03:43 PM
And who could forget Sam Ewing getting his cup of coffee as a DH?

I've got his autograph! I'll bet it's the only one that still exists...

Interlake
12-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Coggins must have made a few good defensive plays that summer. I don't remember any in particular, but I do remember as an 8-year old playing catch (long-toss) with my younger brother and whenever we made a great catch, we called it a "Coggins Catch"

Realist
12-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Holy crap! I had completely forgotten about that game. :o:

Man did I ever destroy a whole bunch of brain cells in the 80s.

C-Dawg
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
At least I assume it was that one, unless there was more than one "Breakfast Game."

I too was wondering how many morning games there were. I was at one of them but couldn't say if it was '76 or later. I believe it was the game where we were lined up waiting for the gates to open and Harry walked up on his way to the gates, and stopped and shook hands and greeted all of us there in line. He was so nice! I'll never forget that memory.

CaptUSN
12-09-2005, 07:09 PM
aboard the good ship U.S.S. WILLIAM H. BATES (SSN680)... missed all of that season....

SoxFanSince67
12-09-2005, 07:40 PM
My biggest concern in 76 was this swine flu thing...

chisox77
12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I do remember that game, but did not attend it.

The 1976 season was the first year of those awful uniforms. But I do have a fond memory from that season, attending a Sunday afternoon game against the Yankees (Ken Brett vs. Doc Ellis). The White Sox lost, 6-3. There were two highlights, however. Jack Brohammer hit a homerun, and I received a "Go Go Sox" bat, on bat day. There were over 40,000 at Comiskey - it was the best crowd of that season (the overall attendance was just short of 1 million, which still doubled the previous season total).

michned
12-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I was also at the '76 breakfast game, sitting in reserved grandstand on the third base side. I can't remember much about the game (other than what you all have refreshed for me in my mind) but I think we received coupons for a free breakfast sandwich at McDonalds.

Railsplitter
12-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I've ofyen wondered what for tbue meat was served at the breakfast game" Oscar Meyer or Jimmy Dean?

Wsoxmike59
12-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I was at the morning games in '76 and '77. I can't remember which player this quote was attributed to, but one of the Sox players remarked about the 10:30 am start

"10:30! Holy Crap, I'm not even done throwing up from the night before!"

Bucky F. Dent
12-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I enjoy look back at old magazine articles too. I always go back to the 1983 SI articles about the White Sox pitching staff. Dennis Lamp, Jim Kern, Kevin Hickey.

Anyone else remember the night that Kern blew out his elbow. He went to throw a curve and the pitch ended up about ten feet behind the batter. I still get a queasy feeling when I think about that pitch.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Bucky:

I was sitting in the press box in Arlington the night it happened. You could hear the snap all the way up there, then the ball was at the backstop and Kern was doubled over at the mound in agony.

Lip

DannyCaterFan
12-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I went to the 10:30 morning game in 77. I think the Sox scheduled an early game in 76 and another in 77. What was strange about that Sox win in 77 was that Jim Spencer did indeed have 8 rbi's, but i remember him being removed from the game after the 4th inning!