PDA

View Full Version : Romero to Angels

KRS1
12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Per rotoworld

Angels acquired LHP J.C. Romero from the Twins for infielder Alexi Casilla.
That's it? Twins GM Terry Ryan should have exercised some patience if this was the best he could do now. Damaso Marte brought a real player in return, and he's owed more money than the $2.45 million Romero is guaranteed. Casilla, 21, hit .325/.392/.409 with 47 steals for low Single-A Cedar Rapids last season, but that only makes him the Angels' sixth- or seventh-best middle-infield prospect. Romero isn't exactly reliable, but he can be one of the league's better lefty relievers when he's on

Unregistered
12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Ha, after KW's Mackowiak-Marte trade, the Twins look like they got fleeced.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Before the "we need a second LHR to replace Damaso" legion weighs in to question why Kenny didn't make a deal for Romero, keep in mind that the Twins aren't stupid enough to let a solid reliever go to a division rival.

They apparently are stupid enough, however, to let him go for little more than a bag of balls. This move is puzzling...:?:

Banix12
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Before the "we need a second LHR to replace Damaso" legion weighs in to question why Kenny didn't make a deal for Romero, keep in mind that the Twins aren't stupid enough to let a solid reliever go to a division rival.

They apparently are stupid enough, however, to let him go for little more than a bag of balls. This move is puzzling...:?:

I think a lot of people, outside of sox fans, were puzzled at the Damaso deal because they viewed it as giving up a solid reliever for a utility man. However we know that Damaso has been pretty unreliable.

I think this is kind of the same way. Romero wasn't too reliable for the twins last season, a lot of walks and fell behind hitters, and this deal might have been the best they could get while not having to pay much of his salary. WHIP 1.56 in 2005. I'm relatively pleased he is not coming here.

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2253819

CHIsoxNation
12-09-2005, 02:22 PM
It's nice to see he is out of the Central. But I'm sure they'll find another stud to plug in the pen.

wdelaney72
12-09-2005, 03:55 PM
"I felt disrespected by the Twins". *****.

KRS1
12-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Man you guys are starting to drop the ball on the duplicate threads this last week, 2 Overbay threads and now this one, man some times I just dont know.

Good Stuff.:D:

BeviBall!
12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Best part of this deal... to make room on the 40-man, Josh Paul was designated for assignment.

Tragg
12-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Best part of this deal... to make room on the 40-man, Josh Paul was designated for assignment.

Knowing that Josh Paul was one of the Angels' 40 best players, not to mention good enough to get into a playoff game in the late innings, provided me with a sense of comfort and confidence.

That was probably going to happen no matter who or what they acquired - you can't keep players that did what paul did around.

samram
12-10-2005, 07:52 AM
That's big for LAA. They've needed a decent lefty in the pen for about three years.

MHOUSE
12-10-2005, 09:08 PM
The Angels had a pretty good run without a lefty in their 'pen the last 3 years. With guys like Donnelly, Shields, KRod, and (pre2005) Percival, there was no place for a lefty to get any innings after the 7th.

caulfield12
12-11-2005, 08:34 AM
The Angels had a pretty good run without a lefty in their 'pen the last 3 years. With guys like Donnelly, Shields, KRod, and (pre2005) Percival, there was no place for a lefty to get any innings after the 7th.

Not to mention they lost Jenks and Derek Turnbow for nothing in return. Imagine how good that pen would have been with those two guys.

samram
12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
The Angels had a pretty good run without a lefty in their 'pen the last 3 years. With guys like Donnelly, Shields, KRod, and (pre2005) Percival, there was no place for a lefty to get any innings after the 7th. Huh, I remember David Ortiz ending their season in 2004 with a walk-off homer. I'm just saying it's nice to have the option. Furthermore, any time you can add a good arm to the pen allowing the other guys to rest a bit more is a good thing.

The Wimperoo
12-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Huh, I remember David Ortiz ending their season in 2004 with a walk-off homer. I'm just saying it's nice to have the option. Furthermore, any time you can add a good arm to the pen allowing the other guys to rest a bit more is a good thing.

That HR was off a lefty, Washburn was in the game in relief. Granted he isn't a reliever, but they did have a lefty in the game.

samram
12-11-2005, 11:59 AM
That HR was off a lefty, Washburn was in the game in relief. Granted he isn't a reliever, but they did have a lefty in the game.

That's fine. I'm just saying they would probably have preferred to have a better option than the guy who I believe started game 2. Let's face it, there's a reason they went out and got Romero.