PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Castillo (and other old pitchers from '99)

Huisj
12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
When the sox re-signed Konerko the other day, and his old card from '99 got put up on the WSI homepage, for some reason it got me wondering what ever happened to all the no name pitchers who were on the Sox that year. Then someone on the "most hated" thread was asking about Carlos Castillo, and he was one of those guys I looked up, so here's some stuff I found:

Carlos Castillo:As far as I can tell, he pitched part of 2005 with the Newark Bears, but he's not listed in their stats that I can find from the season, just mentioned in some boxscores. I did find this interesting interview with him though:
http://www.atlanticleaguebaseball.com/newark/news/features/castillo10q.htm

Aaron Myette:Looks like he spent at least part of the year in Japan last year, though I can't find stats. He threw 3 shutout innings in the Olymipic qualifying games for Canada.
Pat Daneker:Pitched for the Newark Bears, went 10-9 with a 4.43 ERA. I think I read him referred to as a "solid experienced veteran leader" in one article.
Todd Rizzo:Pitched for the Camden Riversharks (another independent team), posted a 5.77 ERA in 60some innings in relief. Still walks a ton of guys.
David Ludquist:No longer pitching (sounds like the injuries he had all added up and forced him to hang it up), but he's now the pitching coach for the Williamsport Crosscutters of the New York-Penn league. Kind of interesting.
Jason Dellaero:Pitched 5 innings for the Newark Bears. Also played SS a lot, and put up his typical .169 batting average.

Feel free to add anything else you know about these guys or others. I had trouble finding stuff about Bryan Ward, Jesus Pena, and John Snyder. Also, what's Sean Lowe up to these days?

Malgar 12
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Uggh! Carlos Castillo was the worst. He's was the Jamie Navarro of the 'pen.

salty99
12-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Remeber when Paulie and him had a race to see who was slower? I can't even remeber who won.

tacosalbarojas
12-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Terry Whittaker? Huh? Carlos, Carlos, Carlos...how about Frank Thomas, maybe. I don't know, Paul Konerko. Magglio? Terry Whit-taker. The most talented guy Carlos ever played with. Funny stuff in the article - thanks for posting. Who else remembers when he got upset with fan reaction and commented that it was like not liking your burger at McDonald's and booing the cook? Bad analogy for you, big C.

TheKittle
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Remeber when Paulie and him had a race to see who was slower? I can't even remeber who won.

Because they are both still running the race!!

eriqjaffe
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Remeber when Paulie and him had a race to see who was slower? I can't even remeber who won.Ron Hassey.

TommyJohn
12-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Wasn't he the guy who said '"why do they tell me how to pitch? I don't tell
them how to flip their burgers"? I always wanted to tell him "hey Carlos. What's
with the fat gut? Looks like you've been eating too many of those burgers I've
been flipping."

wilburaga
12-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Terry Whittaker? Huh? Carlos, Carlos, Carlos...how about Frank Thomas, maybe. I don't know, Paul Konerko. Magglio? Terry Whit-taker. The most talented guy Carlos ever played with. Funny stuff in the article - thanks for posting. Who else remembers when he got upset with fan reaction and commented that it was like not liking your burger at McDonald's and booing the cook? Bad analogy for you, big C.

How about that 2001 season in Boston with Carlos and Rich Garces stuffed into the same bullpen? Ah, to have owned the local Domino's franchise then.

W

tacosalbarojas
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Wasn't he the guy who said '"why do they tell me how to pitch? I don't tell
them how to flip their burgers"? I always wanted to tell him "hey Carlos. What's
with the fat gut? Looks like you've been eating too many of those burgers I've
been flipping."That's the quote I'm talking about. He said people don't boo the cook. I always boo the cook!

tacosalbarojas
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
How about that 2001 season in Boston with Carlos and Rich Garces stuffed into the same bullpen? Ah, to have owned the local Domino's franchise then.

WHeck, how many people could even fit in to Boston proper during the summer, wilbur?

soxinem1
12-09-2005, 09:17 PM

W

can you imagine if Dennys Reyes was in there too! There would have been no room for pizza!

samram
12-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Carlos Castillo was the pear-shaped guy who gave up homers, right? I thought he was more mid-90's than late 90's, but maybe not. Definitely bad, no matter what era he pitched in.

popilius
12-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Huisj,

Thanks for that very interesting thread. . . I love to heary about what old Sox players are doing. Sure, they didn't accomplish much, but I still remember the times I counted on them because they were on the White Sox.

:gulp:

JorgeFabregas
12-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Here's a surprise when looking up old Sox pitchers...
Jason Bere, despite having only 2 good years in his 11 year major league career and having a 1-10 year with the Cubs was above .500 for his career.

HotelWhiteSox
12-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Carlos Castillo wasn't all that bad, my dad used to work with his brother, meaning I once got to sit behind the 1st base dugout and Rafael Santana hooked me up with a ball :D: