PDA

View Full Version : Borchard-mlb4u.com

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 03:52 AM
On that website they say many teams are interested in Joe Borchard, my question WHY?

Banix12
12-09-2005, 04:45 AM
On that website they say many teams are interested in Joe Borchard, my question WHY?

A lot of GM's just look at him, his size, his tools, his 500 foot moonshots and they get so blinded by his potential that the forget he has shown zero ability to consistantly hit major league level pitching. So they see his long swing with a hole you can drive a truck through and say, "we can work on this guy. We can rebuild him. We can make him better." (though I'm sure he has cost far more than six million bucks total by now.)

Basically teams are interested because he is an inexpensive power hitter and there are a lot of teams out there willing to take a risk on a guy with big power. Though I'm sure the risk to the other team will be minimal. I bet all the sox get back in return is another team's failed first round pick or some other comperable project.

forrestg
12-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Kansas city has to bring up many pitchers before they are ready. I like this Demaria. His high earned run average is due to one bad game against Cleveland. Maybe they would consider a trade of Borchard for him. Both are projects Demaria had good minor league stats.

lumpyspun
12-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Plus Borchard is a so called "switch hitter." I think that makes him a little interesting to teams. Although, maybe that's his problem in the first place and he should concentrate on just hitting from one side...

The other interesting thing about him is that in his 12 ABs at the end of the year he had 5 hits (.417). Obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot, but it's probably enough to get him some looks.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2005, 01:02 PM
On that website they say many teams are interested in Joe Borchard, my question WHY?Easy.

Cheap + potential = desirable for non-contending teams

Teams like KC or Tampa Bay can afford to take a flyer on a guy like Joe. If he doesn't pan out, what have they lost? It's not like he's going to kill their World Series hopes.

KRS1
12-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Kansas city has to bring up many pitchers before they are ready. I like this Demaria. His high earned run average is due to one bad game against Cleveland. Maybe they would consider a trade of Borchard for him. Both are projects Demaria had good minor league stats.

I dont wanna see Borch in our division because of the whole stick it to you factor, but if were to trade for any prospect out there(who I think we actually stand a chance on getting) it would be Erick Threets from the Giants. He is a guy a few years back who I remember being talked about as the next Randy Johnson b/c he is a big lefty 6-6 240 and topped 100 mph consistantly. He used to be a sidewinder in college and the Giants tweaked his deliver to an over the top one and he just blew everyone away. He had shoulder surgery in early 2004 to repair a shoulder injury, not rotator cuff related. Does anyone know any more about him and think we could get stupid Sabaen to deal him for Borch and willie, hey they do need a new 2b and left handed power bat.

Fredsox
12-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Basically teams are interested because he is an inexpensive power hitter and there are a lot of teams out there willing to take a risk on a guy with big power. Though I'm sure the risk to the other team will be minimal. I bet all the sox get back in return is another team's failed first round pick or some other comperable project.

I recall a "failed phenom" that we traded to the Reds for another "failed phenom". Mike Cameron for Paul Konerko. These deals DO work out sometimes.

Banix12
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I dont wanna see Borch in our division because of the whole stick it to you factor, but if were to trade for any prospect out there(who I think we actually stand a chance on getting) it would be Erick Threets from the Giants. He is a guy a few years back who I remember being talked about as the next Randy Johnson b/c he is a big lefty 6-6 240 and topped 100 mph consistantly. He used to be a sidewinder in college and the Giants tweaked his deliver to an over the top one and he just blew everyone away. He had shoulder surgery in early 2004 to repair a shoulder injury, not rotator cuff related. Does anyone know any more about him and think we could get stupid Sabaen to deal him for Borch and willie, hey they do need a new 2b and left handed power bat.

I would love to see him in the AL Central on another team for the basic fact that I don't he'll ever be able to hit quality pitchers and the sox have those in spades. If a team in the division gives him a lineup spot, good, that is one more easy out.

Also for anybody banking on his performance last season. He did go 5 for 12 last season, that's fine for a small sample, but when did he do that damage? Mostly during garbage time when the sox were losing, and mostly against middle relievers. That's not really a great sample, even if is small.

Banix12
12-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I recall a "failed phenom" that we traded to the Reds for another "failed phenom". Mike Cameron for Paul Konerko. These deals DO work out sometimes.

Certainly it can but for every one that works out you can probably name a hundred that didn't. It's certainly not an ideal situation. Ideally your guy would have panned out.

rowand33
12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm really hoping Borchard makes the team out of spring training. With Timo and Willie on the way out, there might be room for him.

He's become a joke to all of us, but really, I don't think he's worth giving up on yet.

vafan
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm really hoping Borchard makes the team out of spring training. With Timo and Willie on the way out, there might be room for him.

He's become a joke to all of us, but really, I don't think he's worth giving up on yet.

I agree with this. Borchard makes sense as the last player on the Sox' bench if he can show something in spring training. He can play all three OF slots in a pinch, and would be valuable behind Mackowiak if any of our outfielders went on the DL. Plus, it is useful to have real power threat in certain pinch hitting situations.

rowand33
12-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree with this. Borchard makes sense as the last player on the Sox' bench if he can show something in spring training. He can play all three OF slots in a pinch, and would be valuable behind Mackowiak if any of our outfielders went on the DL. Plus, it is useful to have real power threat in certain pinch hitting situations.

exactly. and he did play well in September last year (granted he only got 12 at bats, but he made the most of them hitting .417) and put up another solid AAA campaign, hitting 29 HRs.

I'm not saying he'll be what we expected him to be. I'm not saying he should be our starting CF. But if he has a good ST, he deserves to be the 25th man.

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
exactly. and he did play well in September last year (granted he only got 12 at bats, but he made the most of them hitting .417) and put up another solid AAA campaign, hitting 29 HRs.

I'm not saying he'll be what we expected him to be. I'm not saying he should be our starting CF. But if he has a good ST, he deserves to be the 25th man.Assuming they carry 12 pitchers, the bench shapes up as Widger, Ozuna, Mackowiak and ???. Mackowiak's versatility is a luxury that might allow them to use a roster spot for Borchard, where otherwise they'd have to carry a 4th OF.

gobears1987
12-12-2005, 05:27 PM
This is a no brainer
LTP for Carl Crawford

doublem23
12-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Konerko was 23 when the Sox acquired him and was still 5 years removed from high school. Joe Borchard is going to be 27 thie year.

lumpyspun
12-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Konerko was 23 when the Sox acquired him and was still 5 years removed from high school. Joe Borchard is going to be 27 thie year.

Jim Morris, "The Rookie," was only 35 when he finally broke through and started producing the way he was expected to when he was drafted in 1983. It might be worth taking this approach to Borchard.

Banix12
12-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Jim Morris, "The Rookie," was only 35 when he finally broke through and started producing the way he was expected to when he was drafted in 1983. It might be worth taking this approach to Borchard.

I don't think when they drafted Jim Morris in 1983 their great expectations were for him to pitch a total 15 major league innings with an ERA of 4.80.

Though maybe Borchard could live up to his potential if a lovable group of high school players were get him to believe in himself again.

Vernam
12-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Konerko was 23 when the Sox acquired him and was still 5 years removed from high school. Joe Borchard is going to be 27 thie year. Yes, and Konerko was Minor League Player of the Year, too. Not quite an apt comparison w/ Borchard.

Vernam

MUsoxfan
12-13-2005, 04:27 AM
IMO, Borchard is a young version of Russell Branyan. There's LOTS of potential that will never be realized

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I say we ship him to the highest bidder. Chris Young, Jerry Owens, Ryan Sweney, and Brian Anderson are way better than Borchard.