View Full Version : most hated sox player in recent memory

bighurt2719
12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
wondering what everyone thought...

for me, it would be a tie between navarro and danny wright

but thats just me

SouthSideHitman
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Although it wasn't as much with the fans, there was some serious organizational bad blood with Maggs. I can't remember any other player being called a "piece of ****" (whatever nationality) by their former manager.

Palehose13
12-08-2005, 07:10 PM
:thechoice

bighurt2719
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM

i totally forgot about royce clayton. i hated him way more than navarro and wright. i actually talked to the MI scout for the SD padres, and he told me that royce is known among big league scouts as being one of those "no bat, no glove, all contract" players. i'd have to call that the understatement of the century.

RadioheadRocks
12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Royce Clayton and Jamie Navarro are right up there on my list.

bobwsx
12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
navarro and ritchie.:angry:

ChiSoxIn06
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
felix diaz is near the top of my list...marte was getting to be there as well but he is gone now.

DSpivack
12-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Don't forget David Wells!

veeter
12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm pretty sure Danny Wright and Ritchie were good guys, if not players. Therefore they wouldn't make my list. But Navarro would be up there. How about Phil Bradley, who they traded Kittle for in 1990, I believe. That guy played like he absolutely didn't care. I hated him.

buehrle4cy05
12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Danny Wright, Brian Daubach, Todd Ritchie, and Boomer Wells top my list.

VivaOzzie
12-08-2005, 07:32 PM
The Mike Caruso Experiment really pissed me off.

veeter
12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Danny Wright, Brian Daubach, Todd Ritchie, and Boomer Wells top my list. Great call on Daubach. Major suckage.

RadioheadRocks
Let's not forget Scott Ruffcorn :puking:

BV2005
Shammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, Royce Clayton

Huisj
12-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Definitely gotta go with Navarro and Clayton. Maybe Rick White for the 4 months he was with the sox a few years back too. He sucked and complained about stuff a lot it seemed.

VivaOzzie
12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Rick White for the 4 months he was with the sox

True dat.

Chisox003
12-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Danny Wright, Brian Daubach, Todd Ritchie, and Boomer Wells top my list.
Brain Daubach!

:roflmao:

That man looked hammered everytime he took the field!

Oh man that's funny.....

We've had some real garbage wear that Sox uniform in the past, especially the past decade or so. Thank God that's over....

What about Armando Rios? :o:

ChiSoxIn06
12-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Jim Parque was a real douchebag too.

RKMeibalane
12-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Jose Paniagua

delben91
12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Rick White for the 4 months he was with the sox a few years back too. He sucked and complained about stuff a lot it seemed.

He tops my list.

Jose Paniagua

A very, very close second.

gsang
12-08-2005, 07:47 PM
ANyone forget about Billy Koch? I'm sure he was a decent guy but when he was on the field I absoloutley HATED him...especially with that rat goatee..?

ChiSoxIn06
12-08-2005, 07:48 PM
ANyone forget about Billy Koch? I'm sure he was a decent guy but when he was on the field I absoloutley HATED him...especially with that rat goatee..?

damn forgot about him...it made it even worse that he shaved his head..looked like a chemo patient.

johnnyg83
12-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Clayton purely for who he is

Koch purely his on field performance

Melido Perez purely for my hair envy

Steve Lyons for pretending not to know he was on camera when he cleaned out his shorts

Don Wakamatsu actually I just like to type his name., i don't hate him.

wsox3505
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Although some of you might disagree. . . albert belle makes my list.

ChiSoxLifer
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I'd have to say Steve Sax. He might be a nice guy but on the field he was absolutely brutal. When he was with the Sox he couldn't hit and I don't know how many times I saw him do an Ankiel right into the stands from 45 feet away.

veeter
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Brain Daubach!

:roflmao:

That man looked hammered everytime he took the field!

Oh man that's funny.....

We've had some real garbage wear that Sox uniform in the past, especially the past decade or so. Thank God that's over....

What about Armando Rios? :o: You just reminded me. My all-time hated guy, Armondo Rios. Man, did he suck. The slowest, little guy ever. I always tell my dad, if we had Gload in '03 instead of Rios, we'd have won many more games. Not a good KW pick up.

gowhitesox
12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Without question David Wells is the one I disliked the most. I'm so so on Sammy Sosa.

JoeClutch24
12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Being a Sox fan for only about 2 years now due to relocation, I really didn't like Mr. Marte at all. I don't like Luis Visciano that much either I was afraid every time he came in the game this season.

Hendu
12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Rick White. David Wells.

And I didn't like the acquisition(s) of Robby the spitter Alomar. Though I guess it's time to forgive him for that moment of idiocy.

Ventura Fan 23
12-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Definitely David Wells, that fat ass who called out Frank.

gowhitesox
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM

I agree with you 100% that is the same reason I don't like Wells. Was happy to see him leave the Sox.

A. Cavatica
12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
All the usual suspects. Navarro, Rick White, Paniagua, Choice.

And Carl Everett -- I actually rooted for Foulke in a matchup last season at Fenway.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Jose Paniagua
Yep. Mr. 108 ERA is probably my least favorite player ever. I don't "hate" many players, because like most of you have already said, MOST of them are nice people, even if their performance on the field doesn't reflect that. I saw Billy Koch blow the game on July 4th in Tampa Bay, but he was a nice and funny guy, who was always willing to take the blame for his poor performance and not blaming it on his teammates.

SoxSpeed22
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
The obvious one,
:XL
Don't forget Rick White, Jose Paniagua, Jamie Navarro (Why Ron? Why?!) Mike Jackson (For not standing up for his teammate.) Throw in Mike Caruso.

ssirish317
12-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Yep. Mr. 108 ERA is probably my least favorite player ever. I don't "hate" many players, because like most of you have already said, MOST of them are nice people, even if their performance on the field doesn't reflect that. I saw Billy Koch blow the game on July 4th in Tampa Bay, but he was a nice and funny guy, who was always willing to take the blame for his poor performance and not blaming it on his teammates.

I agree with you about Koch at least being a stand up guy...and I also remember watching that July 4th game he blew in Tampa a couple of seasons ago. That guy was brutal. And to think I loved that trade when it first happened. (Foulke for Koch)

soxfan43
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Rick White was the most worthless player I can remember. But I'll never forget chanting along with the crowd "MVP" whenever rally killin' royce stepped up to the plate. he was garbage up there. Ritchie and Narvarro are also solid choices for most hated.

Huisj
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Jim Parque was a real douchebag too.

It's tough to hate Parque. He was rushed up to the bigs when he was what, 21 or 22? He pitched his heart out in 2000 and make a gutsy start in the playoffs that basically ended his career. It wasn't his fault the Sox kept running him out there time after time when it was clear his arm was shot the next couple years. If I recall, he was quite a funny guy. I guess he started complaining when he didn't get a chance to start with the sox later on, but at the same time, you gotta wonder what was going through his mind as far as worrying about whether he'd even have anything left for a baseball career.

Check out this weird picture I found through google. It's a scouting report of some sort from 2002. It's quite obvious from the numbers on the board that his arm never recovered from the labrum stuff.

http://mlans.dynip.com/blogpics/2002-08/2002-08-31-whiteboard.jpg

http://mlans.dynip.com/blogpics/2002-08/2002-08-31-whiteboard.shtml
http://hv3.webstat.com/scripts/wsb.php?WSc=yes&WSpn=&WSref=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Djim+parque%26btnG%3DGoogle+ Search&pg=33309&ac=35252&w=1280&h=1024&c=16&js=1.5&WSvp=http%3A//mlans.dynip.com/blogpics/2002-08/2002-08-31-whiteboard.shtml&tz=360&ls=&cam=undefined&evt=undefined (http://www.webstat.com/)
http://hits.webstat.com/scripts/wsb.php?ac=35252 (http://hits.webstat.com)

DumpJerry
12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Why recent memory? "Hate" is a strong word. I don't "hate" any players who played recently. Now, if we define "recent" as meaning "since the Declaration of Independence was signed," then we have some players whom I hate with no chance of forgiveness:

All players who did take bribes in 1919 and threw the Series. I'm sure Weaver and Jackson are not too fond of them, either.

Corlose 15
12-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Why recent memory? "Hate" is a strong word. I don't "hate" any players who played recently. Now, if we define "recent" as meaning "since the Declaration of Independence was signed," then we have some players whom I hate with no chance of forgiveness:

All players who did take bribes in 1919 and threw the Series. I'm sure Weaver and Jackson are not too fond of them, either.

My dad knew Ray Shalk's grandson growing up and he said that he was still pissed about the 1919 series. My dad was born in 1946.

korhead
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Navarro--never took any blame when he was getting shelled, which was much more often than not. It was always someone else's fault--lack of run support, getting squeezed, whatever. What a horse's arse!

CallMeNuts
12-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Took his ball and went home.

TomBradley72
12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
My All Hate Team:

SP: Jamime Navarro
SP: David Wells
SP: Todd Ritchie
SP: Danny Wright
RP: Billy Koch
RP: Jose Paniagua
RP: Rick White

C- Joel Skinner
1B- Wil Cordero
2B- Steve Sax
SS- Royce Clayton
3B- Steve Lyons
LF- Tony Phillips
CF- Darren Lewis
RF- Cory Snyder
DH- Albert Belle

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Sadly, I think Frank Thomas is about the most-hated Sox player in recent memory.

I love Frank and will always cherish my memories of him. However, I think there are a number of so-called Sox fans (not many at WSI that I can think of, thankfully) who quietly do not like Frank because they believed the media's lies and exaggerations about him. There certainly are a lot of people in the general population who are not Sox fans who didn't know any better and believed all the libelous trash that Mariotti, et. al, wrote about him.

Frank might as well have had "kick me" instead of #35 on his jersey. :angry:

rbeze09
12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Roberto Hernandez---arrogant, jerk
Darren Lewis--we got rid of 1-dog for this bum
Carlos Castillo--what a great reliever
Jose Valentin--swung 4 the fence all the time, and he seemed like a total jerk
when I was trying to get his autograph for my brother
Carl Everett-- cocky beyond belief, didnt hustle, seemed like a jerk
Todd Ritchie/Danny Wright

SOX ADDICT '73
12-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Took his ball and went home.
This is an easy one...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3642&stc=1
...unless of course Jeff Brantley ever donned a Sox uni!

Martinigirl
12-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't think I have ever actually hated a player, except maybe Albert Belle. But I have hated a manager, and I don't think I am alone in the hatred of Terry Bevington.

PKalltheway
12-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Being a Sox fan for only about 2 years now due to relocation, I really didn't like Mr. Marte at all. I don't like Luis Visciano that much either I was afraid every time he came in the game this season.

I knew that I wasn't the only one that got nervous whenever Luis Visciano came in!:D: As for my most hated Sox player, it would have to be Todd Ritchie. Man, he stunk!!!!! Didn't he go like 5-15 in 2002 for us?

soxfan26
12-08-2005, 10:22 PM
I knew that I wasn't the only one that got nervous whenever Luis Visciano came in!:D: As for my most hated Sox player, it would have to be Todd Ritchie. Man, he stunk!!!!! Didn't he go like 5-15 in 2002 for us?

5-15 - 6.06 ERA - :angry:

gr8mexico
12-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Kenny Lofton was by far 1 piece of crap :angry:

beckett21
12-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Danny Wright does not deserve the indignity to be on anyone's *most hated* list. He was a good organizational kid who pitched with a major arm injury, yet never used that as an excuse for his performance. Probably ended his career because of it. I could never have anything but respect for someone like that, someone who gives everything they have for their team. Wright did just that.

Jose Paniagua, Jaime Navarro and Rick White were all a disgrace to the White Sox uniform and an embarassment to the organization. I've got no sympathy whatsoever for those clowns.

Brian26
12-08-2005, 11:14 PM
A lot of good answers here, but I still have to go with Royce Clayton.

rbeze09
12-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Kenny Lofton was by far 1 piece of crap :angry:

thats a pretty controversial comment. Kenny went to high school in East Chicago,IN and hes had a heck of a career, also a great guy. I remember him donating a bunch of money to build a new little league complex in EC when he was with us.

fuzzy_patters
12-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Royce Clayton and Jaime Navarro top the list for me. I think Danny Tartabull is up there, too, but I am not sure why. I just never got the feeling Tartabull was playing hard.

monkeypants
12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
This discussion should begin and end with Jaime Navarro. Worthless both on and off the field.

Sammy Sosa should also be near the top of the list. When he came to the Sox I loved him because I saw a ton of potential talent and he played a hell of a right field. But starting with the beating of his wife with a rum bottle I began to see what a piece of human garbage he really was. And my opinion of him has gotten even worse since then.

hosieryofthegods
12-09-2005, 12:38 AM
D'angelo and his no work, no think policy.

Royce and his suckage.

Scott Schoenweiss and his complaining that he wasn't starting really made me want to smack him.

Wil Cordero and his wife beating.

MHOUSE
12-09-2005, 01:35 AM
In my book, to be "hated" you have to do more than play poorly. It's one thing to not try and fail, but I would say that Danny Wright and many others tried their best every time out, but couldn't get the job done because of lack of major league talent.

That said, while with the team, my most hated players would be D'Angelo Jimenez and Royce Clayton. Neither could hit worth a lick and Jimenez was a dolt on the basepaths and lazy in the field. Clayton laced up tennis shoes that one time and wouldn't enter the game. Stuff like that makes a player "hated" instead of leaving the team on bad terms or just not having what it takes.

IronFisk
12-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Hmmm, didn't know about Clayton's personal "issues" beyond being a truly horrible offensive player for us. Yes, Navarro looks like the outright winner here, but Albert Belle definitely deserves a "dishonorable mention" as well - if for anything else than the dolt who messed up Frank. :angry:

Hagan
12-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Royce Clayton is my choice. I remember going wild for him at the brewers sox game when he finally got his batting average over .200. Also joe borchard is up there to in my opinion.

The Dude
12-09-2005, 02:38 AM
:timo:

I suck

cubkilla#1soxfan
12-09-2005, 02:57 AM
I don't think I have ever actually hated a player, except maybe Albert Belle. But I have hated a manager, and I don't think I am alone in the hatred of Terry Bevington.

Terry Bevington, what a dumbass

And i also agree with everyone that hates billy koch. A fastball pitcher that had no fastball.

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 03:21 AM
David Wells. He took a crap on this team. A big one. I also remember hating Ellis Burks while he was here, though I can't remember why.

starboy0
12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm pretty sure Danny Wright and Ritchie were good guys, if not players. Therefore they wouldn't make my list. But Navarro would be up there. How about Phil Bradley, who they traded Kittle for in 1990, I believe. That guy played like he absolutely didn't care. I hated him.

I agree that Danny Wright was a good guy. Unfortunately his injury never allowed him to live up to his potential that he showed at the end of the 2002 season.

mccoydp
12-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Mine is a manager, not a player: the incomparable Terry Bevington. God, he was horrible.

bighurt2719
12-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Roberto Hernandez---arrogant, jerk
Darren Lewis--we got rid of 1-dog for this bum
Carlos Castillo--what a great reliever
Jose Valentin--swung 4 the fence all the time, and he seemed like a total jerk
when I was trying to get his autograph for my brother
Carl Everett-- cocky beyond belief, didnt hustle, seemed like a jerk
Todd Ritchie/Danny Wright

haha, anyone know what happened to carlos castilla? he must have been the fattest man in baseball

doublem23
12-09-2005, 07:46 AM
I can't believe more people haven't noted Wil Cordero and his wife beating ways. Boy, I was embarrassed to see him don the Sox jersey everytime I saw him.

Risk
12-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I agree that even though Danny Wright and Billy Koch absolutely sucked in the field, that should not be the main criteria for making a most hated list. But my "dishonorable mentions" go to the following (in order of hated):

1) Jamie Navarro
2) Fat Ass Wells
3) Jose Paniagua (sp?) and his 108 ERA
4) Wil Cordero
5) Royce "the Choice" Clayton
6) D'Angelo Jimenez
7) Steve Lyons (the very fact that he does games for FOX just goes to prove how low that network's standards are)
8) Brian Daubach (how many times do you need to adjust your batting gloves at every AB)

And a further dishonorable mention to Terry Bevington, whose only redeeming contribution as manager was putting Scrap Heap Garner in a headlock.

Risk

BeviBall!
12-09-2005, 08:07 AM
How can it not be Clayton? Solely based on their ability, I couldn't stand either Mike Bertotti or Carlos Martinez.

Bevington was the worst manager but Manuel was the bigger frustration.

Baby Fisk
12-09-2005, 08:34 AM
David Wells. Utterly classless.

chi_guy
12-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Billy Koch. Hands down.

I remember I was at a Sox game with one of my friends. I believe the Sox were up by one and they bring in Koch. I got so pissed. Surprisingly nobody around me had the same feelings. My friend asked why I was giving this guy a hard time and I told him that Koch sucks and is the worst pitcher the Sox have. He's going to blow this save. Sure enough 2 hits later the game was tied. Everybody was booing him when he was pulled. God I hated that guy.

Uncle_Patrick
12-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I can't "hate" a player solely on his lack of performance, so even though I was frustrated with guys like Todd Ritchie and Billy Koch, I don't really hate them.

I think Royce "The Choice" Clayton tops my list. He always came off like an arrogant jag-bag. I recall, at one point, when his BA was hovering somewhere around .100 (maybe even under) some reporter asked him about his offensive slump and he replied "I'm not in a slump" and I got so pissed off by that comment.

Rick White is probably my #2. Not only did he suck, but then he had the nerve to complain about the manager. Sure, there was a lot to complain about with Manual, but he wasn't the source of White's problems.

Jerko
12-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Juilo Ramirez.

MillerSoxFan
12-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Jose Valentin. Maybe because I heard he was a great guy in the clubhose and I guess he played hard, but he just never seemed to live up to the hype. I was constantly waiting for the next error.

eriqjaffe
12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't honestly hate any players.

But here are some of my least favorite old-school Sox (based almost entirely on performance), in no particular order:

Ron Karkovice
Dan Pasqua
Donnie Hill
Wayne Tolleson
Tim Hulett
Julio Cruz
Kevin Bell

ode to veeck
12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Shammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, Royce Clayton

I actually likes Sammy when he was a Sox in his youth, then he had a decent attitude and a lot of hustle, unfortunately later in his career he became obsessed with himself among other things

Canseco may be a jerk at times personally, but he played his role for the injured Frank Thomas a couple of years back; he did his job for us without a lot of griping and put up decent numbers at DH that summer

:thechoice is the clear winner here

salty99
12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I will throw these names into the mix: Scott Eyre, Jon Rauch, Dan Pasqua was somewhat disappointing.

mjharrison72
12-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I agree. He was exactly NOT the type of player I wanted on my team, and the first thing that popped into mind.

Ventura Fan 23
12-09-2005, 10:27 AM
I honestly can't hate Albert Bell. As much of an ass hole he may have been, he was truly a hell of a player.

rocky biddle
12-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Al Belle (I hate that he owns any Sox records, hopefully Jim Thome will take care of that)
D'Angelo Jimenez (he makes Willie Harris look like a base running genius)
David Wells (for getting my hopes up and then stomping on them)
Brian Daubach (aka Jack Harten, aka scabby joe the replacement scumbag)
Wil Cordero (for being a wife beater)
Sam Sosa (see Wil Cordero)

bighurt2719
12-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Al Belle (I hate that he owns any Sox records, hopefully Jim Thome will take care of that)
Brian Daubach (aka Jack Harten, aka scabby joe the replacement scumbag)
Wil Cordero (for being a wife beater)
Sam Sosa (see Wil Cordero)

Mod edit: I make idiotic statements about beating women, but think I can get away with it by using teal, but these neat little smilies let you think that I may really be serious. I get a week off!
:bandance::gulp:

VenturaSoxFan23
12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
The list begins and ends with Navarro.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 10:51 AM

but thats just me

*** did Danny Wright ever do? Guy was a stand-up guy that they ruined his arm by not listening to him when he complained of pain...

Navarro should be at the top of everyone's list in terms of players from the 90's.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Yep, along with Navarro and Rick White, those guys are my top 4.

mwc44
12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
In the category of being a Rat-Fink Tattletale, Steroid Suckin' Marge Schott imitator for bringing his dog to the yard and letting it take a dump on the warning track in front of the third base camera well, the winner is....

JOSE CANSECO! :angry:

In the category of being a totally ungrateful pr*ck who made Hank Aaron wait outside the clubhouse door, and then sent out a bat boy to collect the "Hank Aaron Award," and then would never let Frank be in the on-deck circle by himself, the winner is....

ALBERT BELLE! :angry:

johnr1note
12-09-2005, 11:17 AM
No one has mentioned Juan Agosto. (Juan "disgusto"), the left handed relief specialist LaRussa brought in to face particualr left handed batters, and he always walked them. Jeez!

HawkISox
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Ritchie just sucked. Navarro acted like he was great.

I doubt anyone will top the half season Belle had with the Sox in 1998.

flo-B-flo
12-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Jamie Navarro and David Whales. STILL piss me off :angry:

Then second tier jerks like D'Angelo Jiminez come to mind.

Never warmed to Albert ding dong either.

slavko
12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
No one has mentioned Juan Agosto. (Juan "disgusto"), the left handed relief specialist LaRussa brought in to face particualr left handed batters, and he always walked them. Jeez!

And then you lose track of him and 10 years later he's in the National League and nobody can get a hit off him.

Iwritecode
12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Mod edit: I make idiotic statements about beating women, but think I can get away with it by using teal, but these neat little smilies let you think that I may really be serious. I get a week off!
:bandance::gulp:

Well that didn't take long...

elrod
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Jose Paniagua. Is there any guy more associated with a late-season collapse than Jose Paniagua?

Before he enters the game the Sox lead the Twins 8-2 and are ready to take a two game lead in the division on September 8, 2003. Then Paniagua gives up 4 runs in a third of an inning, leaves the game, throws a tantrum, and never pitches in the big leagues again. Meanwhile, the Sox hold on for an 8-6 win but the Twins take the next two and go 13-3 down the stretch. The Sox finish a distant second.

tacosalbarojas
12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
My dad knew Ray Shalk's grandson growing up and he said that he was still pissed about the 1919 series. My dad was born in 1946.I've heard that Schalk has said talking about 1919 is liking talking about the death of one of your children.

tacosalbarojas
12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
And then you lose track of him and 10 years later he's in the National League and nobody can get a hit off him.Agosto now works for Scott Boras as a Spanish language interpreter/attorney.

GoSoxGo
12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Although he was a manager and not a player, may I cast my vote for Jerry Manuel? I can't say that I hated him really, but let's just say when the door closed on his career as skipper I did not lose any sleep.

soxgirl617
12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Wow, a lot of pent up frustration here, apparently!

I don't like the word "hate" as applied to a player who doesn't perform well....unless his poor performance is a result of a lack of effort. (I also disagree with the concept that one should boo their OWN players, for lack of performance, but I think I'm in the minority there. Booing for lack of effort, maybe.)

The player, in recent times, who I've most hated to see take the field is Joe Borchard. May be a decent guy (I don't know), and sure did whack the hell out of that record-setting home run, but he can't play big league ball, in my opinion. I also dislike David Wells for disrespecting Frank, although I'm aware that he (Wells) was apparently a good mentor for Mark B.

Fred Manrique
12-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Todd Ritchie, come on down, you're the big winner

billcissell
12-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Sox players I really disliked would have to include the following:

Wells (Great to see him lose a playoff game to us -- a little karma maybe?)
Navarro (A real piece of ****)
Rick White (Another piece of ****, actually still pitching in the bigs somewhere)
Dave Nicholson (Remember this guy? All he ever did was strike out)
Claudell Washington (A real loafer)
Mike Caruso (Wouldn't play winter ball)
John Kruk (Couldn't stand this guy as a player, like him even less as an ESPN commentator)
Steve Lyons (Yea, right, I didn't know I was in public when I dropped my pants)

fquaye149
12-09-2005, 10:36 PM

I can't believe it took ****ing mother****ing 21 posts in this thread for someone to mention Billy Koch. Is it because he was sorry that he sucked? I mean...I guess I can see that but still:

The dude almost singlehandedly prevented what was surely a division champ from making the playoffs. W/o Koch we might have had a decent shot at the WS in 2003, what with Loaiza, Buehrle, and Colon and a ****ing bashing lineup. You take away those double digit blown saves and we might make a pretty decent run at that division...and as our late August thrashing of NY at NY proves, we could hang with pretty much every team that year.

chisox77
12-09-2005, 11:14 PM
All I have to post is that there are some real bad memories in this thread. Most of these players tried, but came up short. But these posts bring back some brutal memories . . . yet we've made it to this glorious point. This is a winter to savor, White Sox fans!

:D:

RadioheadRocks
12-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Let's not forget Mike Stanton, who gave up a game-winning gopher ball at virtually every opportunity in 1985. :puking:

TaylorStSox
12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
*** did Danny Wright ever do? Guy was a stand-up guy that they ruined his arm by not listening to him when he complained of pain...

Navarro should be at the top of everyone's list in terms of players from the 90's.

It makes me sick that people bring up Danny Wright. The kid pitched with a torn labrum and battled. His career never developed the way I thought it would, but it wasn't for heart or lack of effort.

Anyway... Rios and Kruk top my list.

paciorek1983
12-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Alan Embree, Rick White, Juan Disgusto/I don't hate them, they just pissed me off.....

FarWestChicago
12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
My gawd, there can only be one Choice. If you picked anybody else, hang your head is shame. I should close this thread to prevent anybody else from spitting the bit. :rolleyes:

wassagstdu
12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
How can you hate a Sox player?

Terry Bevington.

soxinem1
12-10-2005, 08:41 AM
First, the 70's

C- Jim Essian (glad Fisk would be coming soon)
1B Hank Allen (was he brutal)
2B Syd O'Brien (his initials were SLOB, played like one)

SS Bobby Knopp (feather bat, pompous)

3B Luis Alvarado (big time scrub they got for Aparicio)

DH Ron Santo (just one look is all it took)

OF Royle Stillman (biggest scrub of the '77 Hitmen)

OF Rusty Torres (el stinko)

OF Nyles Nyman (couldn't hit for ****)

LHSP Claude Osteen (another pompous NL'er who thought NL was the ONLY ML)

RHSP Jesse Jefferson (fans needed Rolaids when he pitched)

LHRP Guy Hoffman (uugh!)

RHRP Ron Schueler (decent future GM, but I couldn't stand watching him pitch)

Manager Don Kessinger (need I say more?)

The 80"s :whiner:

C Ron Hassey (never liked him, ex-cub too)
1B Carlos Martinez (too bad he didn't hit the ball as well as he hit security guards)
2B Tony Bernazard (booted every easy DP ball hit to him, every hard one too)

SS Tom O'Malley (hit with a toothpick)

3B Lorenzo Gray (Opening Day 3B for 83 team, then gave job back)

DH Billy Jo Robidoiux (can anyone really make it to the bigs?)

OF Gary Redus (bad attitude, baby!) :angry:

OF Ron LeFlore (B-type Rickey Henderson)

OF Tom Paciorek (may have some controversy with this one, but I'll never forget his 'I want out' rant in '83)

LHSP Tim Lollar (Kaopectate City)

RHSP TIE Reggie Patterson/Neil Allen :gulp:

LHRP TIE Juan Agosto (preclude to Marte)/Ray Searage (Raw Sewage)

RHRP John Davis (overhyped, overheated ERA)

Manager Doug Rader (gave us '83 slogan, still was a sore loser for saying it)

The 1990's

C Ron Tingley (who gave him a big league uniform?)
1B John Kruk (a blob, GOP Chicago Mayoral candidates have more credibility)
2B Steve Sax (did anyone else hear the sound of iron bouncing off his glove)
SS Mike Caruso (see Steve Sax)
3B Tony Phillips (the real 'Mr. False Hustle, Dave Stewart!)
DH George Bell (and what would you like on your loaf?)
OF Phil Bradley (George Bell translated into English)

OF Cory Snyder (I remember once it took him three tries to pick up a ball in OF)

OF Danny Tartabull (nowhere to be found when Sox were in the WC race in 96, then hit as they were all but out)

LHSP Joe Magrane (many just wrote 'L' in the log BEFORE his first pitch)

RHSP Jamie Navarro (might as well put the ball on a tee)
LHRP Atlee Hammaker (how did this ever come about?)
RHRP Dane Johnson (Lamont thought this guy was an All-Star for awhile)

Manager Terry Bevington (called for a pitcher who wasn't even warmed up, then told everyone it was 'planned'. Jerk!)

Hopefully this will spark some debate, but all these guys were pitiful to watch in a WS uniform

soxinem1
12-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Let's not forget Mike Stanton, who gave up a game-winning gopher ball at virtually every opportunity in 1985. :puking:

He was a finalist on my list, but John Davis in '88 beat him out at the endof the decade! I remember Stanton blowing an easy save against the Orioles in 85. Scrub!

jjmlmg13
12-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Jeff Liefer once said he deserved to be the starting first baseman. Then he got traded and Paulie hit a grand slam in the World Series. Good call Jeff.

PAULIE PAULIE

JorgeFabregas
12-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Is one allowed to type Jeff "stuck in the bathroom" Liefer without at least mentioning the middle part?

chisox117
12-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Rick White
Jaime Navarro
Chris Snopek
Joey Cora
Steve Sax
Danny Tartabull
Kruk
:gulp:

chitownhawkfan
12-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I was too lazy to read through all of the thread, but has anybody mentioned Tony Phillips? What a waste of oxygen, he was a serious menace to society.

soxinem1
12-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I was too lazy to read through all of the thread, but has anybody mentioned Tony Phillips? What a waste of oxygen, he was a serious menace to society.

I posted three decades of hate in an earlier thread... Tony is the 3B

The 1990's

C Ron Tingley (who gave him a big league uniform?)
1B John Kruk (a blob, GOP Chicago Mayoral candidates have more credibility)
2B Steve Sax (did anyone else hear the sound of iron bouncing off his glove)
SS Mike Caruso (see Steve Sax)
3B Tony Phillips (the real 'Mr. False Hustle, Dave Stewart!)
DH George Bell (and what would you like on your loaf?)
OF Phil Bradley (George Bell translated into English)

OF Cory Snyder (I remember once it took him three tries to pick up a ball in OF)

OF Danny Tartabull (nowhere to be found when Sox were in the WC race in 96, then hit as they were all but out)

LHSP Joe Magrane (many just wrote 'L' in the log BEFORE his first pitch)

RHSP Jamie Navarro (might as well put the ball on a tee)
LHRP Atlee Hammaker (how did this ever come about?)
RHRP Dane Johnson (Lamont thought this guy was an All-Star for awhile)

Manager Terry Bevington (called for a pitcher who wasn't even warmed up, then told everyone it was 'planned'. Jerk!)

Santo=Dorf's Dad
12-13-2005, 03:15 PM
To call David Wells a douchebag is to insult douchebags everywhere. He was the most loathesome human being to wear a Sox uniform.

In another vein, in my youth I caddied for Ray "Cracker" Schalk at Beverly Country Club on the South Side. He would tell anyone who would listen that had the 1919 Sox been allowed to continue playing baseball, no one would have ever heard of the New York Yankees.

P.S. He was also notoriously cheap.

WestSox
12-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Lamie Navarro
David Wells
Royce Clayton

OzzyTrain
12-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Navarro gave me a baseball once when I was little, so I like him.

How about Albert ?

pissonthecubs
12-13-2005, 05:38 PM
1. David Wells
2. Royce Clayton
3. John Kruk
4. Albert Belle
5. Rick White

illiniowl
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
All I have to post is that there are some real bad memories in this thread. Most of these players tried, but came up short. But these posts bring back some brutal memories . . . yet we've made it to this glorious point. This is a winter to savor, White Sox fans!

:D:

Amen. So in that vein, let us look forward to CRUSHING Bobby Howry in 2006. I had no problems with him while he was here, but he's run his mouth off about his low opinion of Sox fans ever since he left. He tops this list as far as I'm concerned.

StockdaleForVeep
12-13-2005, 05:48 PM
I dunno why the danny wright hate, he was injured.

For my list

Borchard
rauch
McKay Christensen
Mike Caruso
Jaime Navarro
Jerry Manuel
Sammy Sosa
Chris Singleton

ChiSoxLifer
12-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Javier Vasquez

Epark84
12-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Javier Vasquez

wow, thats a little quick. Gotta be Navarro or Clayton. Be easy on wright and parque. Guys like parque and sirotka literally gave up there careers to pitch in the 2000 season down the stretch. Neither was the same after that. Those guys have heart. Clayton, navarro and their ilk have no heart

Jjav829
12-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Javier Vasquez

:rolleyes::kukoo:

doublem23
12-14-2005, 04:41 AM
Given the recent history of people making a total ass of themselves in demeaning these trades before they even happen, I'm surprised at how much venom people are spitting about Vazquez. I recommend you go back and read the thread we had when Williams dumped "future Hall of Famers" Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo for crappy old Freddy Garcia.

Steelrod
12-14-2005, 04:49 AM
Wow, a lot of pent up frustration here, apparently!

I don't like the word "hate" as applied to a player who doesn't perform well....unless his poor performance is a result of a lack of effort. (I also disagree with the concept that one should boo their OWN players, for lack of performance, but I think I'm in the minority there. Booing for lack of effort, maybe.)

The player, in recent times, who I've most hated to see take the field is Joe Borchard. May be a decent guy (I don't know), and sure did whack the hell out of that record-setting home run, but he can't play big league ball, in my opinion. I also dislike David Wells for disrespecting Frank, although I'm aware that he (Wells) was apparently a good mentor for Mark B.
Agree with your comments about hate!
BTW. Borchard is not a decent guy, he's one of the finest people I have ever met. What I think people resent about him was his contract. I personally, would have also taken the offered money.
However, if he can't make better contact............

AZSoxFAN
12-14-2005, 02:42 PM

He's number one:thumbsup::corker

whitesoxfan1986
12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
guys that I hate that played for the Sox:
1) Billy "Suck My" Koch (when you look up "blown save" in the dictionary you see a picture of him)
2) Todd Ritchie ( Kip Wells and Josh Fogg are still in the league, this guy isn't)
3) Boomer Wellls (he is a fat ass and ripped on Frank)
4) Royce Clayton ( 'nuff said)
5) Maggs (greedy effing SOB)

kwolf68
12-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Sad to see people "hate" Danny Wright.

MILTMAY5
12-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Carlos"Fat Ass" Castillo, Dan Pasqua, Jamie Navarro, David Wells and Jerry Manuel top 5 ass***** in Sox history!

Jiddy78
12-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Billy Koch. Hands down.

I remember I was at a Sox game with one of my friends. I believe the Sox were up by one and they bring in Koch. I got so pissed. Surprisingly nobody around me had the same feelings. My friend asked why I was giving this guy a hard time and I told him that Koch sucks and is the worst pitcher the Sox have. He's going to blow this save. Sure enough 2 hits later the game was tied. Everybody was booing him when he was pulled. God I hated that guy.

Friday night, Fourth of July in Tampa...Tropicana Field...

Two days (and the next game, Thursday was an "off" night) after Frank hit a game winner from off the bench...

We had just picked up Everett and Alomar...the Pauly game winner got us back to .500....We were then within 3 games back of KC & 1.5 of Minny and riding on a high note after the big trades....

Bartolo is pitching....Pitches pretty well...

We bring a 3-1 lead into the bottom of the ninth...

I'm sitting in the third row behind Sox dugout....

And there he comes....The...."Rally Ray"....He's dancing on the top of the dugout and taunting the crowd just behind the dugout (It's pretty much all Sox fans)...

Then "he" comes in....

"He" actually strikes out the first batter.....

*sigh of relief*

Next batter...Walk on four pitches....

*sweat starts to mount*

Single to right field on the first pitch...

*We're screwed thoughts popping up*

Rally Ray gives us the boogie boogie from the stands...(My exact thought: You don't need that crap when you have "him" pitching against you.)

Up comes Carl Crawford, who, at the time of this at-bat has ONE home run on the season...and that home run was hit on OPENING DAY....

Over the fence.

Rally Ray and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are mosh-pitting in front of my face.

From the point of the fourth ball on the walk to the home run was no more than maybe 90 seconds....

It was the quintessential...Bam...Bam...Bam...Game over...*** just happened?

Worst holiday ever.

I had the same tickets to the next two games that weekend and a booked hotel room in town...I considered going home.

Rally Ray remembered me the next day....He consoled me.

I was consoled by the opposing team's mascot the day after quite possibly the worst baseball game I had ever witnessed.

The only good memory I can remember from that debacle: RIGHT after the homer was hit, as the Sox came, heads all down, back to the dugout...as Billy Koch got to about 5 feet from the stairs....Some fan (Bless his heart), in the angriest way possible (You have to imagine that in TB, half the fans are for the OPPOSING TEAM...so our section was COMPLETELY SILENT amidst the 4-5 thousand fans boogying in other sections) screams:

YOU SUCK KOOOOOOOCCCCCHHHHHHHH.

I know where my vote goes.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Least Valuable Player Awards

1993 - George Bell - 102 G, .217 BA, 13 HR
1994 - Ron Karkovice - 77 G, .213 BA
1995 - Jason Bere - 27 GS, 7.19 ERA
1996 - Ozzie Guillen - 150 G, .273 OBP $4 mil (5th highest paid player)
1997 - Jaime Navarro - 33 GS, 5.79 ERA $5 mil (4th highest paid player)
1998 - Jaime Navarro - 27 GS, 6.36 ERA $5 mil (4th highest paid player)
1999 - Jaime Navarro - 27 GS, 6.09 ERA $5 mil (2nd highest paid player)
2000 - None - Division Winner
2001 - David "Fat ****" Wells - 16 GS, 4.47 ERA $9.25 mil (2nd highest paid)
2002 - Todd Ritchie - 23 GS, 6.03 ERA $3.533 mil (8th highest paid)
2003 - Billy "Suck my" Koch - 55 G, 5.77 ERA $4.25 mil (7th highest paid)
2004 - Billy "Suck my" Koch - 24 G, 5.40 ERA $6.375 mil (6th highest paid)
2005 - None - World Champions

My all time worst - David Wells
Lifetime Achievement - Tie - Jaime Navarro and Billy "Suck my" Koch.

Chips
12-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Timo

NeverForget42
12-14-2005, 05:33 PM
jose canseco

CluelessJoe1919
12-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Don't forget David Wells!
It's a shame David Wells didn't work out here. It was like the only season he's ever been hurt and it's too bad, cuz he'd have been a major favorite here if he could have stayed healthy that season...

I really don't understand the hatred for Wells here.
I thought KW should have brought him back at a reduced rate and saves us from Dan Wright in the rotation.

CluelessJoe1919
12-15-2005, 06:38 PM
D'Angelo Jimenez defeats Wil Cordero and Albert Belle in my book.

CluelessJoe1919
12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
jose canseco
Canseco was oustanding in his short stint here.

thomas35forever
12-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Billy frickin' Koch

No questions asked

bendavisforpres
12-18-2005, 02:07 AM
1. navarro- the worst MLB pitcher i have ever seen pitch live. ever. always complained
2. Belle- not only was he the biggest disapointment as a player- awful person- and the worst lf in baseball- i hate that his 98 numbers look so impressive. he hit all of those home runs in meaningless games. if the sox were down/up 5 in the 8th belle was a sure thing at the plate
3. royce clayton- couldnt hit or really field and had this belief that he could actually play baseball (note: carruso would have been placed right here but that gw hr to sweep the 99 cubs killed their season and saved him from this list)
4. wells- sucked and ripped frank about not playing with a season ending injury
5. tom gordon- this may come as a surprise- he did have his moments-but i always hated that whenever he came into a game with runners on base- they were definately scoring, while the players he faced would not score, thus not affecting his era. ive noticed that while hes considered one of the best set up men in the game today this is still the case and i now get a kick out of watching him let all his inherited runners score (note: this applies to marte as well-see his sub-4 era when we all know he was awful- but he was on last years ws team and pitched well in game 3 of the ws and i dont believe anyone on last years team can be eligible for this list)

gowhitesox
12-18-2005, 02:36 AM
I never cared much for Sammy Sosa with the Sox. I guess the disappointing thing is that he hit most of those homeruns for the Cubs. Never liked Joey Cora either.

SoxFan64
12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
When you look in the dictionary under "no class" you see this:

:XL

and the back side is this guy:

:valet

TommyJohn
12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Anybody here remember Ron Reed? Boy was he bad. It seemed like every
game he came into in 1984 he started a fire, or straight up lost a game.
I had blotted him from my memory, but he was awful. AWFUL!

Mike Stanton. I will never forget what he did on July 11, 1985. He gift-
wrapped a sure win and handed to the Orioles on a silver platter. He
did nearly the same thing three weeks later in Yankee Stadium. Without
a doubt the worst relief pitcher I have ever seen, and he was only around
for a few weeks.

RadioheadRocks
12-18-2005, 06:37 PM
for a few weeks.

Ahhh yes... Mike Stanton. His exploits in 1985 have been well-documented throughout these forums over the past few years! :puking:

Theanticub
12-18-2005, 09:11 PM

but thats just me

God yes, I remember the Southtown headline "Wright is Wrong", hated him...Didn't think much of Maggs though he is a great player. Scott Schoenweis (spelling?) was a thorn in my spine whenever he took the mound.

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 09:21 PM

for a few weeks.

Who can forget? Plus he was traded for Jerry Koosman. I remember Reed blowing a lead in 84 against the Orioles after the Sox took a lead when Fisk struck out on a WP. Reed promptly came in and threw a GW HR to Ripken that still hasn't landed.

A year later, Mike Stanton did the same thing, and again Cal nailed a GW HR!

I hope Reed and Stanton are working at some car wash together in Argentina!

1951Campbell
12-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Navarro, Wells, Koch.

Bucky F. Dent
12-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Jamie Navarro
George Bell
Claudell Washington
Jose Canseco

and their Manager, Terry Bevington!

soxlover
12-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Jerry Manuel He had a lot of talent and did absolutely nothing with it!!!:o:

JayBeast
12-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Navarro, Wells, Koch.

Add: Albert "Don't call me Joey" Bell

howzer12
12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
that's very easy...........Ron Santo

howzer12
12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I really hated Brian Daubach. I was at a ballgame when the Sox were up by about 10 runs in the bottom of the 8th. Daubach then struck out swinging for the 3rd out and he then flung his bat in disgust all the way to the backstop. The Sox should have released him right then on the spot.

FGarcia34
12-20-2005, 01:03 AM
http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/may02/whitesox/valentin4.jpg

"I deserve a good deal of consideration for this award due to my fine work with the leather."

doublem23
12-20-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/may02/whitesox/valentin4.jpg

"I deserve a good deal of consideration for this award due to my fine work with the leather."

Wow... I'm going to have to call this one out. I know our memories of the 2000 team have been soured because we've finally tasted championship glory, but Jose Valentin was the heart and soul of a very good, very fun Sox team. I'd still take him at short over Royce "I Wear my K-Swiss in the dugout" Clayton.

Chip Z'nuff
12-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Jose Canseco What a joke!

I had no opinion about Daubauch until I found out his favorite flavor ice cream was strawberry. I too like strawberry ice cream.

Reichardt
12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Scott Eyre
Bob Howry

Chip Z'nuff
12-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Canseco was oustanding in his short stint here.

Steroids anyone? Got steroids, can anyone use some of these yummy steroids?

soxinem1
12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Least Valuable Player Awards

1993 - George Bell - 102 G, .217 BA, 13 HR
1994 - Ron Karkovice - 77 G, .213 BA
1995 - Jason Bere - 27 GS, 7.19 ERA
1996 - Ozzie Guillen - 150 G, .273 OBP $4 mil (5th highest paid player)
1997 - Jaime Navarro - 33 GS, 5.79 ERA $5 mil (4th highest paid player)
1998 - Jaime Navarro - 27 GS, 6.36 ERA $5 mil (4th highest paid player)
1999 - Jaime Navarro - 27 GS, 6.09 ERA $5 mil (2nd highest paid player)
2000 - None - Division Winner
2001 - David "Fat ****" Wells - 16 GS, 4.47 ERA $9.25 mil (2nd highest paid)
2002 - Todd Ritchie - 23 GS, 6.03 ERA $3.533 mil (8th highest paid)
2003 - Billy "Suck my" Koch - 55 G, 5.77 ERA $4.25 mil (7th highest paid)
2004 - Billy "Suck my" Koch - 24 G, 5.40 ERA $6.375 mil (6th highest paid)
2005 - None - World Champions

My all time worst - David Wells
Lifetime Achievement - Tie - Jaime Navarro and Billy "Suck my" Koch.

Here, here! Well said!!

Chip Z'nuff
12-20-2005, 12:11 PM
bobby howry sucked too

MVP
12-20-2005, 04:04 PM
My top 5:
1. Jerry Manuel- No one had a lesser clue.
2. Terry Bevington- Only Jerry Manuel had a lesser clue.
3. David Wells- No likes a loud mouth thief.
4. Jaime Navarro- No explanation really needed here.
5. D'Angelo Jimenez- Brutal defense with no bat.

caracascat
12-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Jaime Navarro by a long shot. He sucked and was the biggest ******* to play in a Sox uniform. He blamed everyone but himself. At least guys like Koch and Ritchie felt bad and blamed themselves. We should have let Navarro stay at Wrigley

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Wow... I'm going to have to call this one out. I know our memories of the 2000 team have been soured because we've finally tasted championship glory, but Jose Valentin was the heart and soul of a very good, very fun Sox team. I'd still take him at short over Royce "I Wear my K-Swiss in the dugout" Clayton.

Word. Don't pick on the 'stache, people.

hose
12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Ron Hassey

yd344
12-25-2005, 12:26 AM
I agree that Navarro was horrid but we can't forget about ken hill

we be jake
12-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Although some of you might disagree. . . albert belle makes my list.Belle was about Belle and really stunk up the outfield on D.:cool: We Be Jake

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 10:05 AM
:bkoch: THE KOCH MAN... BILLY KOCH..... THAT GO-TEE ANNOYED THE HECK OUT OF ME.

VenturaSoxFan23
12-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Word. Don't pick on the 'stache, people.

Jose Valentin, the Sox perennial 20-20 man: 20 Home Runs, 20 Errors.
Anybody ever figure out his ratio of HR's to Es? Meaning, the number of runs he drove in as compared to the number of runs he allowed thanks to his stellar glove work? Does it break even?
Carlos Lee was another guy who could be counted on to keep both teams in the game. Sure, he'd hit a 3-run home run in the 7th, but that was to make up for the 3-run error he caused in the 2nd by dropping an easy fly ball. (I still remember that game against the Indians, Carlos, you jack-ass.)

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Jose Valentin, the Sox perennial 20-20 man: 20 Home Runs, 20 Errors.
Anybody ever figure out his ratio of HR's to Es? Meaning, the number of runs he drove in as compared to the number of runs he allowed thanks to his stellar glove work? Does it break even?
Carlos Lee was another guy who could be counted on to keep both teams in the game. Sure, he'd hit a 3-run home run in the 7th, but that was to make up for the 3-run error he caused in the 2nd by dropping an easy fly ball. (I still remember that game against the Indians, Carlos, you jack-ass.)

i can see valentin... but i always liked lee. i just wish when he got traded that there wasn't bad blood. marte throwing at him during spring training didn't help much either. hopefully rowand doesn't turn sour towards the sox for trading him.

DieTrying79
12-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Clayton
Wells (I can feel my temperature going up already...)
Navarro
D'Angelo Jimenez
and everyone's favorite...

"We have a lead, but let's put him in to make this one get really interesting..."

Billy Koch.

Gosh, get me to another thread, I'm starting to feel ill!

HomeFish
12-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Sure, he'd hit a 3-run home run in the 7th, but that was to make up for the 3-run error he caused in the 2nd by dropping an easy fly ball. (I still remember that game against the Indians, Carlos, you jack-ass.)

Carlos Lee's defense was rapidly improving by the time we traded him. Give the guy a break, he came up as an infielder and it looked liked he was putting effort into improving his glovework in the outfield.

He made some spectacular catches in 2004.

WhiteSoxNation
12-26-2005, 07:20 PM

also hated ben davis he was...... uhhh.....terrible.

soxfanatlanta
12-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Jaime Navarro by a long shot. He sucked and was the biggest ******* to play in a Sox uniform. He blamed everyone but himself. At least guys like Koch and Ritchie felt bad and blamed themselves. We should have let Navarro stay at Wrigley

+1

I was the happiest man alive when he went bye bye. Just God awful.

HomeFish
12-26-2005, 08:57 PM
also hated ben davis he was...... uhhh.....terrible.

Remember that one crazy Ben Davis fansite somebody at WSI found? It was like some girl who had been stalking him since high school.

brewcrew/chisox
12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Albert Belle
Tony Phillips
Jamie Navaro
Will Cordero......

tools, all of them

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Remember that one crazy Ben Davis fansite somebody at WSI found? It was like some girl who had been stalking him since high school.

if anyone has that website, id love to see it. that would be hilarious

HomeFish
12-26-2005, 10:14 PM
if anyone has that website, id love to see it. that would be hilarious

The tread on it is here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39158) Its like the third post.

The site was bendavis.org, but it apparently no longer exists.

HomeFish
12-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine, you can see bendavis.org as it looked like in February of 2005, when it was still online:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050128174131/http://bendavis.org/

soxfan1983
12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine, you can see bendavis.org as it looked like in February of 2005, when it was still online:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050128174131/http://bendavis.org/

from the website.... creepy....
"1. You watch every game that ben is in, and cry if you miss it
2. You write to sports illistrated and other sports magazines begging them to do an article on ben just so that you can pin the pictures on your wall
3.You named your pet after Ben *my parents named my cat so it was a coincidince
4.You tape every single thing ben is on, even if its for one second, so you can document them and watch them over and over again in your spare time. *i have 30 volumes
5.You said no to the hottest guy in school because you are making yourself available for when Ben calls you house.
6. You write Ben a letter everyday in hopes that he might answer you one day. *i have written him a letter before and talked to him about it the next time i saw him
7.Whenever someone mentions Ben you scream "He's Mine!"
8.You insist your boyfriend lets you call him Ben
9.You changed your name to Davis, "just too see how it fits"
10.you have moved to Seattle just to be closer to ben, in case you already live there, then you moved close to Safeco field.
11.You have made a website dedicated to him*duh
12.You are always thinking about what you are goin to say to him when you meet him.
13.All of your diary entries are about how much you love ben
14.You know everything about him, including what brand of underwear he wears
15.You know your obsessed when you base your future on marrying Ben
16.All you talk about with your friends is how much you love Ben *not anymore
17.you think about ben 24/7/365
18.your walls are covered in nothing but ben
19.you bring a ben sign to every padres game you go to, hoping he might get a glimpse of you.*only to games that i wll see ben @
20.your local card stores know you by first name, and make fun of you about Ben *so true everytime i go to the padres store they tell me what the newest ben stuff is. and now they are going to order me mariners stuff!
21.you download his batting song onto your computer, just to have it *got em!
22.You contemplate learning how to 2-step because he's a cowboy
23.You wear ben pins everyday to school *i have one on my backpack
24.You have made a shirt with him on it. *i have 1
25.You have convinced your parents to take you to the mariners spring training now, beacuse ben was traded *yup
26. You have every one of his 8x10's *i am missing about 4 of em
27. You have all of his pins *i have all the ones i know about!
28. you have all of his baseball cards *almost!
29. Your teachers refer to you as Ben's # 1 fan or mrs. davis
30. your not laughing at these because you know they are true."

:dumbass:

Medford Bobby
12-27-2005, 11:31 PM
:(: OK, I bought in to the WHOLE Harry Chappas scam......:mad:

Herm Schneider
01-01-2006, 01:20 AM
its up their with kenny lofton and royce clayton for me ....neither actually left a positive influence but hten again neither did david wells or jose conseco

SoxSpeed22
01-01-2006, 01:33 AM
I didn't have anything against Lofton, but the other ones sound right.
FYI, Herm Schneider, you better change your sig before the mods change it for you.
EDIT: Too late.

The Wunsch
01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
In 2003 I believe, cant think of his name but he was terrible. Second most annoying player next to Snopek

The Wunsch
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Sat next to a bunch of his friends. All Cub fans. All wanna be gasta rappers.

soxinem1
01-03-2006, 09:04 PM
+1

I was the happiest man alive when he went bye bye. Just God awful.

No, I think I was a little happier!!! :rolleyes:

I still cannot believe we got two good players for him and Snyder. I think the two of them went a combined 3-16 in Y2K for the Brew.

roylestillman
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Two words: Pablo Torrealba.

MeanFish
01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Writers/headshots/217.jpg

"Scott Podsednik is so overrated. Who cares about base hits and steals anyway? Chicks dig the long ball, and I like to embrace my feminine side rather than pretend it doesn't exist."

Personally, I absolutely loathed Jaime Navarro.

Bobbo35
01-04-2006, 07:09 AM
I second that, I could not stand him, plus he just looks like an idiot in a baseball uniform.

SouthSide_Hitman
01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Navaro,Clayton & Conseco for me....definatly in that order.

Wsoxmike59
01-04-2006, 07:29 PM
1) Jaime Navarro (stunk up the joint at the rate of $5MM per annum)

2) Jason Bere (for how he left the Sox.....classless beyond belief, talk about burning your bridges)

3) Tom Egan (he pushed me down when I was 12!!) :angry:

slavko
01-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Not only do I remember him, but I remember him as a small forward for the Detroit Pistons whom Bob Love victimized by drawing an offensive foul at the old Stadium as the Bulls of coach Dick Motta were mounting a stirring 4th quarter comeback on their way to respectability in the early 70's. Soon thereafter he stopped playing two sports.

Biggest jerk as a person: Albert Belle.

Parrothead
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I did not read the whole thread so I don't know if I am on an island here......Bo Jackson ! Great football player, way overhyped baseball guy.

GoSox40
01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Mike Huff, Mike LaVaillere, Norberto Martin, Bob Zupcic, Scott Ruffcorn, Rodney Bolton, Rob Dibble. Mike Cameron Sucked for us.

How about Chris Sabo he sucked.

Kevin Tapani sucked the worst.

Chad Krueter sucked then got his ass beat at The Toilet Bowl.

Mike Deveruex????

Heres some more Greg Norton, Jorge Fatandhasgas, Jeff Abbott, Jeff Liefer, Rocky Biddle, Mike Porzio.

Who could forget Gary Glover!!!

These guys all sucked at one point or another!:cool:

nlentz88
01-05-2006, 01:00 PM
John Kruk. Man, his negative attitude towards the Sox on BBTN early in the 2005 season really got my goat.

areilly
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I can't believe more people haven't noted Wil Cordero and his wife beating ways. Boy, I was embarrassed to see him don the Sox jersey everytime I saw him.

THREAD HIJACK

Nice sig! Good to see another one from Bradley on board.

DaleJRFan
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
I did not read the whole thread so I don't know if I am on an island here......Bo Jackson ! Great football player, way overhyped baseball guy.

:?: Bo Jackson?? Most hated Sox player?? Of all time??? C'mon man, overhyped or not, Bo Jackson is a very nice man.

Bo Knows
01-05-2006, 01:19 PM
First off, Bo Jackson was nothing but class as a professional athlete. You can't hate him for getting paid, you should hate the owners or whoever offered up the dough in the first place.

Most Hated:
Jamie Navarro
Jose Paniagua (his name is bread and water, you knew he would be a jerk)
Will Cordero
Jim Parque (douchebag in real life and on the mound)
Joe Borchard
Tony Phillips
Danny Tartabull (now there is someone you could hate for making too much $$$)

pauliemyhero14
01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
my most hated whitesox was carlos lee because i met him before and he seem like a jerk. he seemed like he was just didnt want to be there.:angry:

Chisox003
01-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Danny Tartabull (now there is someone you could hate for making too much $$$)
Wanna hear a crazy story about Danny Tartabull? Good!

So back in the summer of '96 (I was 9 years old), when Mr. Tartabull was with our Sox, my uncle had season tickets in the left field bleachers. I would often go with him to the games, mostly on the Sunday afternoon ones.

One extremely sunny Sunday afternoon, Tartabull stepped to the plate and hit a bomb to left....right where we were sitting. I got so excited (and of course had my glove), got ready, looked up, and lost the damn ball in the sun. By the time I saw it, it was sailing past my mitt and BOOM, slammed me in the forehead.

The usher immediatly came and got my uncle and I and took us to some sort of medical center at the park. I got some baseballs (not the HR ball, someone ran off with it....ya, took it from a 9 year old kid :rolleyes: ) free tickets, and a gigantic lump on my head, but man was I pissed I didn't catch that ball.

And I swear to God, I lost it in the sun. 9 year old Chisox003 doesn't just miss a ball like that. Probably the sunniest day of the decade, I swear it! :tongue:

kittle42
01-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Unless they have a personal story, I would think most would choose, at least from the past 20 years....

Jaime Navarro (my no. 1)
David Wells (begging out of that Cubs game with the gout or whatever fat-man disease he had was a fitting end)
Royce The Choice

Here are a few more of my most hated, for one reason or another:

Kip Wells
Sammy Sosa (no one ever believes I hated "The Panther" when he was on the Sox - they just chalk it up to Cubsession. Well, he sucked, and I hated him)

doublem23
01-06-2006, 05:50 AM
THREAD HIJACK

Nice sig! Good to see another one from Bradley on board.
Yeah, as far as I know, there's 3-4 more floating around.

Go Braves!

/thread hijack

Sox-o-matic
01-06-2006, 05:59 AM
The biggest idiot in recent times has to be Jose Paniagua, but the guy i hated seeing more than anyone else was Billy Koch. Man could that guy fil up a swear jar.

Parrothead
01-06-2006, 06:41 AM
:?: Bo Jackson?? Most hated Sox player?? Of all time??? C'mon man, overhyped or not, Bo Jackson is a very nice man.

Nice or not I really don't care. I just never liked him as a player. He should have stuck to football at baseball he was average at best. And yes, it was a great story with the hip and all.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Nice or not I really don't care. I just never liked him as a player. He should have stuck to football at baseball he was average at best. And yes, it was a great story with the hip and all.

I just don't understand how you can hate someone, who is a very nice person, simply because they weren't GREAT at what they did...

I'm down with kittle42... I absolutely hated Sosa when he was here. Not only did he completely suck ass and have ZERO game, but he was a complete jackass on top of it. Watching him drove me nuts, even as a kid. I was so happy they traded him and even happier it was to the Cubs.

soxinem1
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I just don't understand how you can hate someone, who is a very nice person, simply because they weren't GREAT at what they did...

I'm down with kittle42... I absolutely hated Sosa when he was here. Not only did he completely suck ass and have ZERO game, but he was a complete jackass on top of it. Watching him drove me nuts, even as a kid. I was so happy they traded him and even happier it was to the Cubs.

I agree he stunk here, outside of September 1989, The first half of 1990, and Opening Day 1991. He was always friendly with me, and even gave me a nice bat in 90, which I still have.

Much like the Willie Harris thread, there were differing opinions on how players dealt with us. But I have heard that Sammy has been a 'major league *******' on many many occasions.

I do regret not selling it when he hit 60+, because I know some goof cub fan would pay through the nose for it at the time.

DaleJRFan
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree he stunk here, outside of September 1989, The first half of 1990, and Opening Day 1991. He was always friendly with me, and even gave me a nice bat in 90, which I still have.

Much like the Willie Harris thread, there were differing opinions on how players dealt with us. But I have heard that Sammy has been a 'major league *******' on many many occasions.

I do regret not selling it when he hit 60+, because I know some goof cub fan would pay through the nose for it at the time.

LOL, yea.. I sold my Leaf Shammy rookie card for $450 bucks on ebay in 2002 after his 340/62/160 season.

soxinem1
01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
LOL, yea.. I sold my Leaf Shammy rookie card for $450 bucks on ebay in 2002 after his 340/62/160 season.

Now, it may be more like 4.50 bucks, if that!!

RadioheadRocks
01-06-2006, 06:38 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hated Sammy when he was with the Sox, but one thing that really bothered me was his lack of communication with his fielders. I'm sure everyone here can remember how many times Sammy would totally ignore One Dog calling for the play then come barrelling in full force, only to misplay or drop the ball when Lance could have made the play no problem.

Parrothead
01-06-2006, 08:53 PM

When Bo came here everyone thought was the @#$. Allstar, medical marvel, ect.......what did he do? Nothing ! He sucked here that is why is disliked him.

23 games.... .225 BA 14 RBI 8 R 3 HRS 21 games as DH

85 games.... .232 BA 45 RBI 32 R 16 HRS 47 games as DH & 36 as DH

Stroker Ace
01-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Dan Wright, Billy Koch, Joe Borchard and Willie Harris.

AWhiteSoxWinner
01-07-2006, 08:28 AM
:angry: Hands down...Billy Koch

Sox Surveyor
01-09-2006, 04:40 PM
gotta be royce clayton and his shoe incident...
didn't albert spit at someone or was that at cleveland?

soxwon
01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I like everyone, if theyre wearing a sox jersey.

soxwon
01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
ASk wsoxmike59 about tom egan!!!

Mercy!
01-09-2006, 07:04 PM
I donít understand calling ballplayers "garbage" because of their athletic failings.

Both of these guys could have used an attitude transplant, and I was really happy to see them depart:

Joey
The Choice

p.s., will the poster who "hated" Claude Osteen take it back, please?:mad:

JoeCrede4MVP06
01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Most hated Sox player in recent memory? Scott Bloweneweis. You talk about a guy sucking at baseball. The man got lit up every time he pitched.

bjmorrispurdue
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I actually offered Jim Thome and Doug Glanville $20 if they hit Billy Koch in the head with a batted ball and knocked him out for the season when the Sox played the Phillies in June of 2004.

SouthSideLove
01-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Don't forget about the dismal James Baldwin

tick53
01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Excellent Choice Mex, I still detest him. The Cub fans thought he was their
saviour. The guy is a pantload of the first order

alohafri
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Count me in on this vote.

alohafri
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
:angry: Hands down...Billy Koch

I had a respect for Billy Koch. When he sucked, which was often, he said it before we could.

SoxFan76
01-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I had a respect for Billy Koch. When he sucked, which was often, he said it before we could.

He blamed nobody but himself. He was horrible, but honestly it wasn't a bad move bringing him to Chicago. He was one of the elite relievers in the game the year before, and you can't really fault KW for attempting to upgrade his bullpen. I think the biggest problem was Manuel constantly using him in save situations even when we all knew he'd blow it.

Of course, and I don't know all the details, I've read the Sox could of held on to Foulke if they really wanted to.