Fenway
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10387641/

Red Sox take notice

Jjav829
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM

Red Sox take notice

Rex Sox take notice? The hell with that. White Sox take notice!

Miguel Tejada in a White Sox uniform... :drool:

buehrle4cy05
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
What do the Red Sox have left to trade for him?

He's not going anywhere. No way the Cubs pony up to get him, either.

Banix12
12-08-2005, 06:54 PM
It's times like these that I think of the Superchicken theme song. "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

If these guys don't like the way the organization is going, too bad. Tejada signed the big contract and frankly he knew the Orioles weren't an ideal situation for winning a title before he came there.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
What do the Red Sox have left to trade for him?

Oh only

http://www.nesmsports.com/prodimages/RedSox%20029.jpg

samram
12-08-2005, 07:06 PM

Red Sox take notice

If that guy's on the market, everyone's taking notice.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
If that guy's on the market, everyone's taking notice.

Remember as of today Boston has no SS

Angelos just maybe nutty enough to take Manny ( after all he took Sammy )

Palehose Pete
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252946

Interesting... so, speculation as to where he will land if he's traded? I say... the Marlins.

buehrle4cy05
12-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Oh only

http://www.nesmsports.com/prodimages/RedSox%20029.jpg

Yeah, they have Manny. But how willing would the Red Sox be to trade him in the division?

And for that matter, how willing would Baltimore be to move Tejada to a team that they would face 19 times a year?

Daver
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM

And the Cubs paid 75% of Sammy's contract to boot.

I doubt the Red Sox will do the same with Manny.

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Aren't their contracts fairly similar at this point? Manny's offensive stats are better, but Tejada plays shortstop which is a more valuable position. Other than that Tejada is a few years younger, I'd say it'd be a fairly even deal if they Red Sox included a good prospect and paid maybe 25% of the remaining contract.

Ramirez-4 years, $80 million left
Tejada-4 years, ~$50 million left. Eh. Maybe the Red Sox would have to pay more than 25%

samram
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM

Oh, I know they have no SS. I'm just saying there's about 28 teams that would decide they have no SS if they can have Tejada.

Jjav829
12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Let the getonbckthr ridiculous trade proposals begin. :D:

nccwsfan
12-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Oh, I know they have no SS. I'm just saying there's about 28 teams that would decide they have no SS if they can have Tejada.

I don't see how the O's will trade him for less than a front of the rotation starter. Miggy for Manny makes some sense, but if Angelos is willing to trade Tejada he'd probably be wise to get some stellar pitching in the deal instead of another slugger.

Looking forward to seeing this blow up in the O's face....again.

A. Cavatica
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Manny for Miggy makes some sense except I don't see the trade happening within the division. A third team is needed to launder the players.

CanBuehrleWait
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM

There is that problem of them also playing in the same division. Why trade him for Manny when they can get Garland, Uribe and a good prospect for Miggy. Jon is awesome but I would spin him for miggy in a heartbeat.

samram
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't see how the O's will trade him for less than a front of the rotation starter. Miggy for Manny makes some sense, but if Angelos is willing to trade Tejada he'd probably be wise to get some stellar pitching in the deal instead of another slugger.

Yeah. They seem like the type of outfit that would take Kerry Wood as a "front of the rotation starter" as part of a deal for him.

The more I think about it, the only SP I might take straight-up if I were the Baltimore GM is Santana; maybe Oswalt or Halladay.

tadscout
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
There is that problem of them also playing in the same division. Why trade him for Manny when they can get Garland, Uribe and a good prospect for Miggy. Jon is awesome but I would spin him for miggy in a heartbeat.

ditto... and you only need 4 starting pitchers come playoffs...

Chisox003
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
ditto... and you only need 4 starting pitchers come playoffs...
:rolleyes:

How soon we forget 2004....

Crede_Fan
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Isn't that the truth!:o:

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 09:00 PM

I dont think the O's know what a front of the rotation starter is. If they did, Tejada probably wouldnt be asking to get out.
Its funny, everyone except the Orioles knows that the ONE thing the team needs is pitching.

The Deacon
12-08-2005, 09:02 PM

In 2004 we had 1 1/2 good pitchers. Buerhle and half a season of sub-par Garcia.

gr8mexico
12-08-2005, 09:18 PM
What would it take to get Tejada? If we can get Tejada for Garland then go ahead. But I just cant see the Sox spending money on Tejada.

Fenway
12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
It didn't take much for fans calling WEEI to be drooling over the prospect of Tejada coming to Boston and then one of the writers in Dallas phoned in saying this story of the DR tonight may be a setup and something will happen quickly. There has been a school of thought that Boston had something else going but they needed to unload Renteria first.

Not to be lost in this hysteria is the Red Sox put tickets on sale Saturday for the first 2 months of the season.

KRS1
12-08-2005, 10:09 PM

Hey remember early last year when Jon K'd the hell outta Miggy to end that O's rally? Proof that great pitching ALWAYS beats great hitting.

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 10:24 PM
No, that's not proof of anything. It's anecdotal evidence. Very rarely does a certain thing ALWAYS happen in baseball.

SoxSpeed22
12-08-2005, 11:38 PM

How soon we forget 2004....And 2001, and 2002 and 2003. Especially 2003!
If I was B'More's GM, The minimum price would be a top pitching prospect, a shortstop and a #2 starter.

CanBuehrleWait
12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey remember early last year when Jon K'd the hell outta Miggy to end that O's rally? Proof that great pitching ALWAYS beats great hitting.

Hey remember when Tejada hit .300 with 115 rbis, 100 runs, and 30 homers. Oh those are just his average numbers the last 5 years. I put it in pink cause its a pipe dream. I see a shortstop like Furcal get 13million a year. I can't only help but think if there is any resonable trade to get a top 3 shortstop at 12mill/per for 4 years it wouldn't hurt to at least look into it.

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Let the getonbckthr ridiculous trade proposals begin. :D:
You ask and shall recieve.
Tejada to the Cubs for Cedeno, Wood, and Patterson.

StillMissOzzie
12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
You gotta love these boneheads who break the bank when it's their turn for free agency, but then start whining when the team's all tapped out when it comes to further improvements.

Like Banix12 has pointed out, Miggy (and his agent) knew the situation they were getting into when they inked that 6 year deal-likely a battle with the Blue Jays for 3rd in the AL East. **** and go count your money, Tejada.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
You gotta love these boneheads who break the bank when it's their turn for free agency, but then start whining when the team's all tapped out when it comes to further improvements.http://www.laraza.com/uploaded_pictures/19532_1.jpg"You rang?"
That was too easy.:redneck

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 12:34 AM
You gotta love these boneheads who break the bank when it's their turn for free agency, but then start whining when the team's all tapped out when it comes to further improvements.

Like Banix12 has pointed out, Miggy (and his agent) knew the situation they were getting into when they inked that 6 year deal-likely a battle with the Blue Jays for 3rd in the AL East. **** and go count your money, Tejada.

SMO
In this situation however Baltimore has spent alot of money since signing Miggy.

MUsoxfan
12-09-2005, 01:12 AM
In this situation however Baltimore has spent alot of money since signing Miggy.

Baltimore is also not very smart with their funds. They're to the AL what the Cubs are to the NL. Lots of money spent on overvalued talent

getonbckthr
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Baltimore is also not very smart with their funds. They're to the AL what the Cubs are to the NL. Lots of money spent on overvalued talent
Your absolutly correct. I don't think anyone can fault Miggy for wanting out of there. Miggy is one of the good guys in the game. He was probably sold some BS about they are gonna spend money to win.

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 01:59 AM
I would offer a Uribe, Young package to bring in Tejada and I'd be willing to raise the price. This guy makes the same as Konerko. You gotta get this guy and ask questions later. We'll see if he's actually avaible though.

cubkilla#1soxfan
12-09-2005, 03:06 AM
as of today, garland was offered arbitration, and is a free agent after the '06 season, he only has had one good season, i personally love him as a pitcher but if the o's are that desperate?

Then, Garland and Uribe for Tejada.

As Kenny Williams showed after trading rowand, there are no untouchbles.

nccwsfan
12-09-2005, 07:19 AM

SMO

Agreed, except that the Orioles actually did have enough money to improve the team and instead threw it at garbage (Raffy, Sammy). This is Year III where they needed to sign a front of the rotation guy, and their big move is?????

Ramon Hernandez :?:

Good player, don't get me wrong, and it will allow Javy to move to 1B, but look at that stellar rotation and most can see that it's another hopeless season for the Birds.

Steelrod
12-09-2005, 08:23 AM
When you squeezr the last dime out of a team 'casue all you care about is money, don't complain when money becomes an issue to your team.

Priorities change when you have got that extra million. Paulie, explain it to him, as he wallows in Baltimore, and Manny in Boston also.

I'm surprised both are not willing to cancel their contracts and become free agents again! Since winning is all that matters now !!

lol

Baby Fisk
12-09-2005, 08:52 AM
If Manny for Miggy happens, Omar Minaya will have to counter with something huge. Huge! If not, the Most Insane GM Title Belt might be going to Baltimore.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/187569.jpg
"I'm sorry we had to trade Jose Reyes, but I am extremely happy to welcome the newest member of the Mets organization, Joe Borchard!"

mjharrison72
12-09-2005, 09:08 AM
as of today, garland was offered arbitration, and is a free agent after the '06 season, he only has had one good season, i personally love him as a pitcher but if the o's are that desperate?

Then, Garland and Uribe for Tejada.

As Kenny Williams showed after trading rowand, there are no untouchbles.
If the O's throw in Daniel Cabrera, I'd be down for that trade.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Ain't happening, but what the hell, let's drool a bit and imagine what it would take to bring Miggy to the south side.

Baltimore can't trade him without getting back established, solid to stud major league talent. So all the "Uribe+Young" type of talk is ridiculous. It starts with Garland+Uribe+others. And you're not getting back any prospects even remotely close to the bigs, especially pitchers. And you're not getting back much if any cash.

If KW was willing to give Garland a long-term, $8M/yr deal, then Uribe+Garland for Miggy is a wash financially. For Miguel, I add in Young. That's a dominant offensive lineup.

Now I have a void at #5 SP. 2 options here: 1)Cotts, but that significantly weakens the pen unless you can make a Harris-Villone deal. 2)Sign a stopgap. Someone like Aaron Sele, Pedro Astacio, or James Baldwin ought to come cheap on a 1-yr deal. If they're wiling to go to 5-6M on a 1-2yr deal, maybe a Jason Johnson. Basically, someone who won't put up a 7ERA.

Maintain the 'pen. Effectively swap in McCarthy for Garland and the new guy for El Duque. Significantly upgrade the lineup.

CPditka
12-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I heard this on the way to work this AM, my first thought was Uribe/garland/prospect not name BMAC. Screw the cash. You put Miggy on this team, and they'd be sooo good and intimidating I would almost be scared to keep rooting for them. Gar is gone next yr, so your swaping uribe for miguel tejada and a prospect. I think the O's are just crazy enough to do it. sign a crappy to decent pitcher. Do this and you can send the WS trophy back to tiffanys and tell them to make another one that looks like it but change the 5 to a 6.

Yikes, this will never get done, but I can dream.

DaleJRFan
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Garland+Uribe+Prospect for Tejada? Sounds good to me. Maybe sign a solid #3/4 guy to replace Garland (Washburn, etc). Maybe even swing some prospects to LA for Odalis Perez. KW is pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough and not overpaying in the process (AJ, Iguchi, El Duque).

What an insane lineup that would be with Tejada... JEEZ.

Pods (LF)
Iguchi (2B)
Tejada (SS)
Thome (DH)
Konerko (1B)
AJ (C)
Dye (RF)
Crede (3B)
Anderson (CF)

Holy crap. :o: That's scary. 115 wins sound good to anyone else???

Fenway
12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
WEEI is reporting the Red Sox and Orioles are talking already

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/921145_sports12092005.jpg

DaleJRFan
12-09-2005, 10:30 AM
WEEI is reporting the Red Sox and Orioles are talking already

Why would the O's trade Tejada within their division?? Are they really that stupid? Oh... yea, they are.

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 10:37 AM
If the BoSox got Tejada, I could see them realizing their dream of trading Manny. We'll see.

Fenway
12-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Why would the O's trade Tejada within their division?? Are they really that stupid? Oh... yea, they are.

Orioles probably need Manny to keep people coming to Camden Yards......prospects will not help them compete with the new boys down the street in DC.

Trading in the division is dangerous but this would not be a one sided deal. We are talking about 2 of the best 10 players in the game today.

Throw in reports that the Orioles are offering Nomar a contract I think this deal been on the burner all week. Boston had to unload Renteria first for this to even be thought about.

There really are not that many teams out there willing to spend the money and the Yankees have to sit back and watch because there is nothing they can do to stop it.

Tejada asks out;
are the stars aligning? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/09/tejada_asks_out_are_stars_aligning)

Miguel Tejada has asked to be traded, and the Red Sox need a shortstop. Mercy! (By Gordon Edes, Today's Globe)

fans are speaking loudly
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/polls/12_09_05_manny_miggy/

Randar68
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM
It starts with Garland+Uribe.

You now eneter the season with Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy, El Duque.

You are forced to go out and sign a long-relief/5th starter type because you know El Duque won't stay out there for 30+ starts.

How about this one:

Garland, El Duque, and Uribe for Tejada and go off and sign Millwood?

If Garland is going to get 8 million in arbitration, you can have Millwood for several years at around that price, IMO.

Garland (8M), Uribe (3M), El Duque (around 5M)... that's around 16 million in salary going out the door for 12 million coming back, plus you now need to get a reliable 4th/5th starter.

Should all be in deeppink, though...

clean
12-09-2005, 11:05 AM
although I would hate to see our guys go, if we got tejada, put me down for season tickets.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 11:49 AM
You now eneter the season with Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy, El Duque.

You are forced to go out and sign a long-relief/5th starter type because you know El Duque won't stay out there for 30+ starts.

How about this one:

Garland, El Duque, and Uribe for Tejada and go off and sign Millwood?

If Garland is going to get 8 million in arbitration, you can have Millwood for several years at around that price, IMO.

Garland (8M), Uribe (3M), El Duque (around 5M)... that's around 16 million in salary going out the door for 12 million coming back, plus you now need to get a reliable 4th/5th starter.

Should all be in deeppink, though...

Problem is that I don't think the O's do it for that, they want Garland, Uribe, and other valuable chips, not Duque. Plus the Sox add a bunch of salary. Much more likely that they get a stopgap (read: cheap) option for a year.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Problem is that I don't think the O's do it for that, they want Garland, Uribe, and other valuable chips, not Duque. Plus the Sox add a bunch of salary. Much more likely that they get a stopgap (read: cheap) option for a year.

What quantifies "a bunch?"

If they deal the 3 I mentioned in return for Tejada, that would be 4 million in salary relief, and if you sign a guy for 8 million as a 4th starter, that's just a 4 million dollar boost.

You don't think getting Tejada would equate to about 4 million in increased revenue? as well? Jersey sales, ticket sales, etc? I dunno.

Would certainly be risky, slightly downgrade SS defensively, greatly improve the offense, but also have a hole to fill at the #4/5 spot in the rotation.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
What quantifies "a bunch?"

If they deal the 3 I mentioned in return for Tejada, that would be 4 million in salary relief, and if you sign a guy for 8 million as a 4th starter, that's just a 4 million dollar boost.

You don't think getting Tejada would equate to about 4 million in increased revenue? as well? Jersey sales, ticket sales, etc? I dunno.

Would certainly be risky, slightly downgrade SS defensively, greatly improve the offense, but also have a hole to fill at the #4/5 spot in the rotation.

Sorry - I don't think the O's take on either a)any salary in return or b)any marginally useful guys in this trade. If you try to give them El Duque, they'll view it as them effectively sending over salary and demand more/better prospects. In the current market, Tejada doesn't have a ridiculous contract or a ridiculously long contract. And hes a name/franchise player. That'll cost you. Eliminating the Duque factor in the trade you're talking about adding the cost of your new pitcher in salary. Which is why I thought the most likely scenario is a cheap/stopgap type rather than a Millwood type.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if Garland+Uribe+Young gets it done. From a baseball perspective it works for them, but it can be hard to trade the face of the franchise without getting a name guy back in return. Manny gives them that, although Manny hurts them from a baseball perspective because they can better utilize that $$$.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I'm not even sure if Garland+Uribe+Young gets it done. From a baseball perspective it works for them, but it can be hard to trade the face of the franchise without getting a name guy back in return. Manny gives them that, although Manny hurts them from a baseball perspective because they can better utilize that $$$.

Baltimore has no pitching. What better way to justify that trade than to get a young starter coming off a 17-win season and a Gold Glove quality SS in return?

I don't think you understand Garland's value to a team with serious pitching needs.

And, if they don't want El Duque, fine, so be it. We keep him as our #5 and then look for a marginal guy as a back-up to him...

wdelaney72
12-09-2005, 12:23 PM
You ask and shall recieve.
Tejada to the Cubs for Cedeno, Wood, and Patterson.

I wouldn't call that ridiculous. It won't happen, but I've seen dumber trades.

Garland+Uribe+Young (or other prospect) works for me. I LOVE Uribe, but were talking about one of the top SS in baseball.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Baltimore has no pitching. What better way to justify that trade than to get a young starter coming off a 17-win season and a Gold Glove quality SS in return?

I don't think you understand Garland's value to a team with serious pitching needs.

And, if they don't want El Duque, fine, so be it. We keep him as our #5 and then look for a marginal guy as a back-up to him...

Agreed from a baseball perspective, but from a PR perspective, it's a different story. Garland hasn'y been hyped (although he will be next offseason as one of the prime pitching targets). And Uribe's not a known player either.

Like I said - that deal is far far better for Baltimore than Manny+cash, but from a PR/ticket sales perspective, Manny will sell a lot better than Garland/Uribe.

At some point an organization should realize that winning is the best way to get fans, but for that to happen, Baltimore would need to have smart management.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Agreed from a baseball perspective, but from a PR perspective, it's a different story. Garland hasn'y been hyped (although he will be next offseason as one of the prime pitching targets). And Uribe's not a known player either.

Like I said - that deal is far far better for Baltimore than Manny+cash, but from a PR/ticket sales perspective, Manny will sell a lot better than Garland/Uribe.

At some point an organization should realize that winning is the best way to get fans, but for that to happen, Baltimore would need to have smart management.

Hasn't anyone learned the global concept of "Winning sells more tickets than a household name?" Baltimore knows this now with the Nationals down the street and some regional competition. A lot of DC-area residents were season ticket-holders and the O's experienced a big drop in season ticket holders when the Nationals opened up shop.

Uribe is known throughout baseball. You trade Tejada for a #2 or 3 starter and a starting MLB SS who is a defensive upgrade from Tejada, and that's easily justifiable.

LF is huge in Baltimore, you're gonna put Manny out there? They basically just made their catcher into a DH, so that's not a real option either.

Sammy Sosa didn't sell any tickets in Baltimore. What's Manny going to sell when the team is 10 games under .500 at the break because they have no pitching?

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Hasn't anyone learned the global concept of "Winning sells more tickets than a household name?" Baltimore knows this now with the Nationals down the street and some regional competition. A lot of DC-area residents were season ticket-holders and the O's experienced a big drop in season ticket holders when the Nationals opened up shop.

Uribe is known throughout baseball. You trade Tejada for a #2 or 3 starter and a starting MLB SS who is a defensive upgrade from Tejada.

Sammy Sosa didn't sell any tickets in Baltimore. What's Manny going to sell when the team is 10 games under .500 at the break because they have no pitching?

I know it. You know it. In general, WSI knows it. Kenny sure as hell knows it. Does Angelos - I wouldn't be so sure.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I know it. You know it. In general, WSI knows it. Kenny sure as hell knows it. Does Angelos - I wouldn't be so sure.

Also let's not forget that Boston has NO prospects left to trade if Baltimore would be requesting them. I doubt we'd have to give Young up if we were giving up a starting SS and a #2 or 3 starter.

Fenway
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Also let's not forget that Boston has NO prospects left to trade if Baltimore would be requesting them. I doubt we'd have to give Young up if we were giving up a starting SS and a #2 or 3 starter.

Boston has prospects

just what do they want to part with :?:

Baltimore is a mess, they could easily finish dead last in the East.

Iwritecode
12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Uribe is known throughout baseball. You trade Tejada for a #2 or 3 starter and a starting MLB SS who is a defensive upgrade from Tejada, and that's easily justifiable.

This phrase right here makes me wonder why we are even discussing this trade.

Sure he's a big name that can hit a ton but with Thome, Konerko and Dye do we really need more offense?

I haven't seen Tejada play all that much but could he have made the the same plays Uribe did in the final 2 innings of the WS?

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Sure he's a big name that can hit a ton but with Thome, Konerko and Dye do we really need more offense?

I haven't seen Tejada play all that much but could he have made the the same plays Uribe did in the final 2 innings of the WS?

No, but had he hit a HR in that very same game, said play may have been meaningless. When factoring in both D and O, Tejada>>Uribe. Financially, ah, there's the rub.

Unregistered
12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Good. I'm glad Tejada is unhappy there. I hope that Free Agents start to really figure out where they want to play before just taking the highest salary offered and playing for a loser for 5-7 years. If Tejada actually thinks that the Orioles were going to do anything with the Red Sox and Yankees in that division, he's an idiot. He took the money and ran, and he should have to pay the price. Hell, ARod should still be rotting in Texas with that ridiculous contract he signed...

Randar68
12-09-2005, 02:11 PM

I don't know, Tejada has good range, but he makes a few more errors than Uribe. Is Uribe (a #8/9 hitter) 40 runs better than Tejada defensively? You're swapping a guy who hits .260 with around 15 HR's and 70-80 RBI's for a guy who had 150 RBI's in 2004.

Juan is nowhere near THAT much better than Tejada defensively.

Tejada would approach 40 HR's in the Cell, IMO. Baltimore is cavernous to most of Left-center.

Tejada's never played more than a handful of games per season in a park as hitter-friendly as USCF.

Ol' No. 2
12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I don't know, Tejada has good range, but he makes a few more errors than Uribe. Is Uribe (a #8/9 hitter) 40 runs better than Tejada defensively? You're swapping a guy who hits .260 with around 15 HR's and 70-80 RBI's for a guy who had 150 RBI's in 2004.

Juan is nowhere near THAT much better than Tejada defensively.

Tejada would approach 40 HR's in the Cell, IMO. Baltimore is cavernous to most of Left-center.

Tejada's never played more than a handful of games per season in a park as hitter-friendly as USCF.How much of the difference in RBI's can be attributed to the place in the batting order? Offsetting defense with offense is always a tricky calculation. It's more than just errors made. Good defense makes your pitchers better, not just because they face fewer 4-out innings, but because they have the confidence to throw the pitches they want to throw where they want to throw them. Maybe I'm just old-school, but IMO, there's no substitute for defense, especially up the middle.

socko82
12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Just something to think about for all those drooling over the idea of getting Tejada. He fell off from 34 hr's 150 RBI to 26/98 last year. Still good but nowhere near the numbers from the year before. He was also named in Canseco's book and then his name just "happens" to pop in the whole Palmeiro mess. He had only 7 HR's and 38 RBI after July 1st last year.. Just didn't seem to be able to have quite the ability stay strong all season like in previous years...I think he's an excellent player but I think you're more likely to see 25/90 in the future and for what he's making I'd rather take the cash and try to lock up our own guys.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 02:31 PM
How much of the difference in RBI's can be attributed to the place in the batting order? Offsetting defense with offense is always a tricky calculation. It's more than just errors made. Good defense makes your pitchers better, not just because they face fewer 4-out innings, but because they have the confidence to throw the pitches they want to throw where they want to throw them. Maybe I'm just old-school, but IMO, there's no substitute for defense, especially up the middle.

I definitely agree with you on all counts. How you balance that is critical, but Tejada is not Jose Valentin. Tejada has better range to his left than Juan does, although Juan has very good range to his right and the ability to throw people out from there.

I just feel like there is a huge difference in the team between Uribe and Tejada (admittedly ignoring Garland for a minute). Tejad will put up mid-30's HR's and around 130 RBI's hitting behind Pods(scaring pitchers)/Iguchi and in front of Thome/Konerko (maybe he hits behind Thome, don't know)

He makes everyone else in the order better, moving them down a spot. AJ, Crede and Anderson are depended upon for very little offensively, Dye becomes one of the best #6 hitters in baseball.

That team would likely break every single-season HR record in franchise, if not baseball, history, IMO.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Just something to think about for all those drooling over the idea of getting Tejada. He fell off from 34 hr's 150 RBI to 26/98 last year. Still good but nowhere near the numbers from the year before. He was also named in Canseco's book and then his name just "happens" to pop in the whole Palmeiro mess. He had only 7 HR's and 38 RBI after July 1st last year.. Just didn't seem to be able to have quite the ability stay strong all season like in previous years...I think he's an excellent player but I think you're more likely to see 25/90 in the future and for what he's making I'd rather take the cash and try to lock up our own guys.

He also was moping around the clubhouse because he and Sosa didn't get along, was dragged into the steroid controversy by the accusation of a teammate (Palmiero's assertion he tested positive because of some liquid B12 vitamins he got from Tejada that were tested and cleared), and generally the malaise of being on a TERRIBLE team.

Tejada is the kind of player who plays on emotion quite frequently, and that can be great on a good team, can be really bad on a bad team, and everything in-between. Palmiero and Sosa killed the chemistry in Baltimore this year and it affected Tejada.

Remember him carrying the A's in their playoff push (maybe it was his last year there). He's a clutch player who plays better when there is something on the line, which, in Baltimore, is usually nothing to play for after about June 1st.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
IMO, there's no substitute for defense, especially up the middle.

I think I'd set the over/under on about 50 points of BA and 20 HR. Honestly, Tejada would have to be as defensively poor as Jim Thome would be at SS to make him less valuable overall than Juan Uribe. And that's coming from a big Uribe fan. There aren't many SS's I'd take over Juan (including Furcal), but Tejada's probably at the top of that very short list.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Tejada would have to the equivalent of Jim Thome at SS to make him less valuable overall than Juan Uribe.

HUH?? I have no idea what you're trying to say in that line.

Flight #24
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
HUH?? I have no idea what you're trying to say in that line.

I mean defensively, he'd have to be as bad as Jim Thome would at SS. I.e., really bad (no offense to Jim).

Poorly worded, now fixed.

Fenway
12-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Good. I'm glad Tejada is unhappy there. I hope that Free Agents start to really figure out where they want to play before just taking the highest salary offered and playing for a loser for 5-7 years. If Tejada actually thinks that the Orioles were going to do anything with the Red Sox and Yankees in that division, he's an idiot. He took the money and ran, and he should have to pay the price. Hell, ARod should still be rotting in Texas with that ridiculous contract he signed...

Manny is a perfect example. Cleveland came very close to matching the Boston offer but as was seen on ESPN the agent was calling all the shots.

Foulke says he had no idea Boston was intense. This from a man who blew a save in the 03 ALCS??????

Because of my work I get to meet players and I was shocked and dismayed to find a good number of them are total jerks.

Hockey players are the best for some reason.

Optipessimism
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
In such a scenario I'd rather keep Juan and try to move Crede instead. Could Tejada play 3B? Could Uribe? Crede has injury issues while Juan doesn't. Plus, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how Juan does in the 2 spot because I think he has a chance to have a very nice year there. Plus Juan+Tejada is faster than Tejada+Crede, and although neither will steal a ton of bags, I like the extra speed because it allows Ozzie to squeeze, sacrifice, and hit and run with a little more confidence.

socko82
12-09-2005, 03:36 PM
He also was moping around the clubhouse because he and Sosa didn't get along, was dragged into the steroid controversy by the accusation of a teammate (Palmiero's assertion he tested positive because of some liquid B12 vitamins he got from Tejada that were tested and cleared), and generally the malaise of being on a TERRIBLE team.

Tejada is the kind of player who plays on emotion quite frequently, and that can be great on a good team, can be really bad on a bad team, and everything in-between. Palmiero and Sosa killed the chemistry in Baltimore this year and it affected Tejada.

Remember him carrying the A's in their playoff push (maybe it was his last year there). He's a clutch player who plays better when there is something on the line, which, in Baltimore, is usually nothing to play for after about June 1st.

Couple of things ... he was named in Canseco's book prior to Palmeiro's positive test.. Also just about every player Canseco named had season's that made them look guilty...Also in the book Canseco said that the players referred to their 'roids as B12 shots...And yes, I remember the A's playoff push and if I recall correctly it was before Canseco's book and any sort of testing at all. IIRC Bonds, Sosa, Giambi, Boone and Rodriguez all had big years that same year. Finally as for your point that he plays better when there is something on the line last year the O's were in the race for the first half...in 2003 they were never in it but from July 1st to the end of the year he had 21/85 compared to 2004 7/38. Maybe you're right, maybe he's the one guy in the book who is actually clean so why doesn't he sue?

All I'm saying is that he's a very good player but I just think you're not going to see the pre-2004 numbers out of him again and he's being paid to put up those pre-2004 numbers.

Optipessimism
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
All I'm saying is that he's a very good player but I just think you're not going to see the pre-2004 numbers out of him again and he's being paid to put up those pre-2004 numbers.

Compared to what Furcal got, Tejeda's contract is a steal.

maurice
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
The thing that would make the proposed Sox package so attractive is that the O's would get back a legit / young MLB SS, a good / young MLB starting pitcher, and change. As a bonus, the Sox are not in the O's division, and none of the players offered by the Sox have ridiculous contracts. Other teams would have an extremely difficult time maching that offer.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Also in the book Canseco said that the players referred to their 'roids as B12 shots...

B12 vitamins that he turned over to be tested by MLB.

Do you realize that B6, B9 (folic acid), and B12 vitamins are essential for healthy methylation status and are used by almost all athletes to augment their normal diets? It is essential for muscle recover, sustaining longer periods of energy and basically a healthier way to maximize recovery time and the benefits of LEGAL supplements like creatine.

Canseco saying that players referred to what were steroids as B12 vitamins essentially inferred that every player was guilty, because almost all take B vitamins as part of their supplement routines.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Couple of things ... he was named in Canseco's book prior to Palmeiro's positive test.. Also just about every player Canseco named had season's that made them look guilty...Also in the book Canseco said that the players referred to their 'roids as B12 shots...And yes, I remember the A's playoff push and if I recall correctly it was before Canseco's book and any sort of testing at all. IIRC Bonds, Sosa, Giambi, Boone and Rodriguez all had big years that same year. Finally as for your point that he plays better when there is something on the line last year the O's were in the race for the first half...in 2003 they were never in it but from July 1st to the end of the year he had 21/85 compared to 2004 7/38. Maybe you're right, maybe he's the one guy in the book who is actually clean so why doesn't he sue?

Did Canseco ever even play with Tejada? What would explain Tejada's freakish first-half this year then?

Tejada's season splits:
Pre All Star: 87 G, 346 AB, 19 HR, 62 RBI, .329/.373/.604, .977 OPS
Post All-Star: 75 G, 308 AB, 7 HR 36 RBI, .276/.322/.416 .738 OPS

Yep, they tested people all spring, all year, then suddenly, after tearing the cover off the ball and playing like an MVP candidate for more than half the season, he suddenly fell off the face of the earth because he forgot to take his Roids, right?

*****. So we should never expect a pre-2005 version of Tejada again even though he was exactly such a hitter for the first 60% of the year... :rolleyes:

Certainly couldn't have had anything to do with the team falling apart around that time, could it?

nodiggity59
12-09-2005, 03:52 PM
My only concern in acquiring Tejada would be that the Sox could become too "top heavy" like we were in the Frank, Maggs, CLee, PK days. I mean, superstars were great and all, but it's hard to argue with the kind of depth the 2005 team had. Not saying acquiring Tejeda precludes KW from fielding a team with adequate depth in all aspects of the team, but it would be a conern. The rotation, for instance, would be of particular concern given not only the loss of JG but also the increased likelihood of injury to one of our starters this year. Still, if there was a deal of JG + Uribe + some other minor part on the table, I would definitely pull the trigger and try to work it out later.

socko82
12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Did Canseco ever even play with Tejada? What would explain Tejada's freakish first-half this year then?

They played together in Oakland in 1997. And then he was left in the bay area with Giambi. Also it has been stated that players did not just use them to help them hit the ball farther but to keep up their strength the entire season and not wear down. So it would make sense that someone who went off his supplements last winter would fall off in the 2nd half. That would explain the freakish splits.

Jerome
12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
How much of the difference in RBI's can be attributed to the place in the batting order? Offsetting defense with offense is always a tricky calculation. It's more than just errors made. Good defense makes your pitchers better, not just because they face fewer 4-out innings, but because they have the confidence to throw the pitches they want to throw where they want to throw them. Maybe I'm just old-school, but IMO, there's no substitute for defense, especially up the middle.

I agree with you about the aspects of defense that are difficult to measure (range, impact on pitchers, etc.), but this is Tejada we are talking about. One of the best players in baseball. Tejada-Thome-Konerko. That should be in deep deep pink. It's not like he is a butcher at SS, he's just not as spectacular as Uribe.

I would actually be more worried about the 5th starter more than the defensive downgrade at SS. Do we have any up and comers in the minors ready to step up like BMac last year?

But this is just huge speculation on my part, I seriously doubt this will happen.

CanBuehrleWait
12-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Good to see some folks are with me on this Tejada tip. As far as Ramirez I agree with some of the previous posts. Ramirez is an elite player but Tejada is an elite position player. Is the argument production? The numbers Ramirez puts up cannot be denied nor can his butchery in the outfield. It doesn't hurt hitting behind the best 3 hitter in baseball not named Pujols or Rodriguez (with easy arguments there as well). If he could play even average at another position fine but he can't. Fill the DH spot (assuming Lopez can play first), create a hole at short, leave holes in 2 outfield spots, the rotation, the bullpen with no salary relief. Hmmmm, this is Baltimore though :angry:.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Smart move Paul-ee to turn down the extra $5-mildo.

chaotic8512
12-11-2005, 07:52 AM
The latest on Tejada, via Rotoworld:

Orioles executive VP Mike Flanagan spoke to Miguel Tejada tonight for the first time since the shortstop demanded a trade, but he wouldn't get into the specifics of what was discussed.
Before getting in touch with Tejada, Flanagan and other high-ranking club officials spent most of the day talking with his representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza. The Orioles are hoping to get Tejada to back off his trade request, but it doesn't appear they're having much success yet. "The only way we can categorize it at this time, is that Miguel wants to win," Flanagan said. It's believed at least eight teams, including the Red Sox, Cubs and Angels, have already contacted the Orioles about Tejada. As for the idea of a Manny Ramirez swap, one high-ranking Orioles official said, "It's not going to happen."

Miguel wants to win, eh?

Red Sox, Cubs, or Angels... when I saw this, I had only one thought:

Which one of these is not like the other?
Which one of these just doesn't belong?
Can you tell me which thing is not like the other before I finish this song?

getonbckthr
12-11-2005, 08:09 AM

Orioles executive VP Mike Flanagan spoke to Miguel Tejada tonight for the first time since the shortstop demanded a trade, but he wouldn't get into the specifics of what was discussed.
Before getting in touch with Tejada, Flanagan and other high-ranking club officials spent most of the day talking with his representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza. The Orioles are hoping to get Tejada to back off his trade request, but it doesn't appear they're having much success yet. "The only way we can categorize it at this time, is that Miguel wants to win," Flanagan said. It's believed at least eight teams, including the Red Sox, Cubs and Angels, have already contacted the Orioles about Tejada. As for the idea of a Manny Ramirez swap, one high-ranking Orioles official said, "It's not going to happen."

Miguel wants to win, eh?

If the Cubs get Miggy they will win the Central next year. Kerry Wood will not get hurt this season. In fact this will be his best season. Why you ask? He's an athlete with a contract on the line. It always appears that athletes have super human strength when a contract is on the line.

Hitmen77
12-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Miguel wants to win, eh?

Yeah, I don't get it either. "Tejada wants to be traded because he's tired of losing in Baltimore". Then....."Cubs are likely suitors for Tejada." :?: :?:

Huh? If someone wants to be traded because of lack of winning, then why would he want to go to the Cubs?

Hitmen77
12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
If the Cubs get Miggy they will win the Central next year. Kerry Wood will not get hurt this season. In fact this will be his best season. Why you ask? He's an athlete with a contract on the line. It always appears that athletes have super human strength when a contract is on the line.

That's assuming the Cubs can get him for nothing. I can't imagine the O's are just going to trade him for prospects.

HomeFish
12-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Huh? If someone wants to be traded because of lack of winning, then why would he want to go to the Cubs?

Because with the addition of Pierre, a bullpen, and Tejada, the Cubs are suddenly legitimate contenders that are going to be very difficult to deal with.

HomeFish
12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
That's assuming the Cubs can get him for nothing. I can't imagine the O's are just going to trade him for prospects.

Have you been ignoring the past three years? The Cubs are better than any team in baseball at getting talent for nothing.

FarWestChicago
12-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Because with the addition of Pierre, a bullpen, and Tejada, the Cubs are suddenly legitimate contenders that are going to be very difficult to deal with.I've got very bad news for you Fishie. While you were away the White Sox, not your beloved Flubbies, won the World Series. :o:

RKMeibalane
12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Have you been ignoring the past three years? The Cubs are better than any team in baseball at getting talent for nothing.

Welcome back!

RKMeibalane
12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I've got very bad new for you Fishie. While you were away the White Sox, not your beloved Flubbies, won the World Series. :o:

It may be time to start moving his posts back to the "Dark Cloud" thread.

FarWestChicago
12-11-2005, 04:18 PM
It may be time to start moving his posts back to the "Dark Cloud" thread.Ah, not worth the trouble. If he keeps up the Flubbie trolling I'll just perma-whack him.

Brian26
12-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Because with the addition of Pierre, a bullpen, and Tejada, the Cubs are suddenly legitimate contenders that are going to be very difficult to deal with.

Spoken like a true Cubs fan.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the $20 million investment in Sox-castoffs, Howry and Eyre, to blow up in their faces. That's going to be a beautiful thing.

veeter
12-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Trust me on this one. Baltimore will demand either Prior or Zambrano. Prospects, for maybe baseball's best shortstop, ain't happening.

It's Time
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm getting sick and ****ing tired of the Cubs being listed as the favorites to land every ****ing player available. Ken Rosenthal lists them as the favorites.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5157958

Chisox003
12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm getting sick and ****ing tired of the Cubs being listed as the favorites to land every ****ing player available. Ken Rosenthal lists them as the favorites.
Why? It makes it that much sweeter when they don't get those players.

Comical, actually.

It's Time
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Why? It makes it that much sweeter when they don't get those players.

Comical, actually.

Because it's every damn time. Manny Ramirez, Rafael Furcal, Juan Pierre and now Miguel Tejada.

It's Time
12-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Lastly, Rosenthal is on crack if he thinks Pie wouldn't have to be part of the deal. It would take no less than a Prior or Zambrano+ Pie package to get it done.

If they got him for less, the Orioles are a joke.

Chisox003
12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Lastly, Rosenthal is on crack if he thinks Pie wouldn't have to be part of the deal. It would take no less than a Prior or Zambrano+ Pie package to get it done.

If they got him for less, the Orioles are a joke.
The Orioles are a joke either way....

And how many of these guys that the Cubs are "front runners" to get do they actually end up getting?

Over the past few years the Cubs were in line to get: Ivan Rodriguez, Jim Thome, Mags, Beltran, Manny, Damon, Furcal and god knows who else...Case in point, no?

Whoopee, another superstar is headed to the northside....what else is new

It's Time
12-11-2005, 07:43 PM
The Orioles are a joke either way....

And how many of these guys that the Cubs are "front runners" to get do they actually end up getting?

Over the past few years the Cubs were in line to get: Ivan Rodriguez, Jim Thome, Mags, Beltran, Manny, Damon, Furcal and god knows who else...Case in point, no?

Whoopee, another superstar is headed to the northside....what else is new

Exactly my point. Look at all the names linked to that team. Tell me why that is? It's un****ing real.

FarWestChicago
12-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Exactly my point. Look at all the names linked to that team. Tell me why that is? It's un****ing real.:whocares

The Deacon
12-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Exactly my point. Look at all the names linked to that team. Tell me why that is? It's un****ing real.

Because the team has alot of cash and some players view it as a great place to play b/c the seats are full every game. It is also one of the more popular franchises in MLB. All the 'big name' teams are mentioned every time a superstar player comes available.
In the article you posted, the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs, LAA, Mets were mentioned, it's no coincidence that they have the most $$$$. If the Dodgers didnt just sign Furcal, I'm sure they would be "in the mix" too.
The fact that Rosentahl mentioned the Yankees just shows that he wants people to read his articles, a reporters ultimate goal....We just have to take everything these guys say with a grain of salt.

samram
12-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Man, you've been saying/hoping the same thing for the last two seasons, at least.

Hitmen77
12-11-2005, 10:36 PM

...from bottom-feeding teams that want or need to dump salary. The O's are one of the higher revenue teams and do not need to dump Tejada for nothing.

JorgeFabregas
12-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Tejada says he doesn't want to be traded: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256260

rdivaldi
12-11-2005, 11:51 PM
...from bottom-feeding teams that want or need to dump salary. The O's are one of the higher revenue teams and do not need to dump Tejada for nothing.

I was thiniking the exact same thing. They only trades they ever get anything from are the ones they make with perennial losers like the Pirates, or teams that are flat broke like the Marlins. I've been laughing at all of the dolts who think that the Flubs are going to get Tejada for a couple of their overrated prospects.

Hangar18
12-12-2005, 08:00 AM

I dont know how in the world Hendry does it ......... getting some of the best
players for GARBAGE. Sergio 5.37 Era Mitre for Juan Pierre ?????
look for Jose Macias for Miguel Tejada soon. If anyone noticed, the Cubune has switched into Overdrive in trying to aquire Tejada by writing a "Tejada-should-be-a-Cub" article yesterday. It was long, detailed and very well written, obvious that the Trib wants him badly.

Hangar18
12-12-2005, 08:03 AM

Same here. I think alot of that is media-wishing if you ask me. Stupid Marlins just gave away a legit centerfielder to a team that doesnt deserve it.
They also gave away a legit 1B now that I think about it. Lee/Pierre is an upgrade over Choi/Mitre

peeonwrigley
12-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Tejada says he doesn't want to be traded: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256260

His agent must have told him who the "frontrunners" were.

Flight #24
12-12-2005, 09:15 AM
I dont know how in the world Hendry does it ......... getting some of the best
players for GARBAGE. Sergio 5.37 Era Mitre for Juan Pierre ?????
look for Jose Macias for Miguel Tejada soon. If anyone noticed, the Cubune has switched into Overdrive in trying to aquire Tejada by writing a "Tejada-should-be-a-Cub" article yesterday. It was long, detailed and very well written, obvious that the Trib wants him badly.

Hangar - do you recognize the differences between a guy 1 year away from FA who's going to be demanding a pretty high contract (based on the current market, >$10M/yr) and a cheap, young, serviceable starter along with 2 pretty solid prospects? It's not like they traded away Terry Mulholland.....

Not to mention that ESPN reports Tejada basically retracting the trade demand. Look for the O's to overpay for an FA or 2 to keep him happy. That sound you hear is Scott Boras licking his lips at the prospect of a team desperate for Kevin Millwood.

slavko
12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Cubune in "tampering with its own players" mode floating Zambrano + for Tejada + today. (Rogers column)

Fenway
12-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Mets may trade for
Miguel to get Manny
GM Omar Minaya may involve the Mets - at least as a third team - in any discussions about Tejada in the hopes of finding an "outside the box" way to get Manny Ramirez to Shea, a baseball executive suggested last night.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/374340p-318162c.html)

Meanwhile Miggy claims he never asked to be traded

CSN Exclusive: Miguel Tejada speaks with Kelli Johnson--12/11 (http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet.com/media/video/orioles/orioles-121105.wmv)

samram
12-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Cubune in "tampering with its own players" mode floating Zambrano + for Tejada + today. (Rogers column)

That's not tampering. If Rogers is just floating trade ideas about, that's not a problem. The tampering has occurred when they have written about how welcome a free agent to-be would be on the north side in the middle of July.