PDA

View Full Version : Names on back of Jerseys

billcissell
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
The current Sox uniform design dates back to about 1990. During the last 15 years of wearing this current design, did the Sox ever omit player names from the back of the jersey? I seem to recall during the early years of this uniform design (early 90s) the back of the jersey had only the number on it. A few years later last names of the players were added. Can anyone confirm or correct my fading memory? Thanks.

skobabe8
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
The current Sox uniform design dates back to about 1990. During the last 15 years of wearing this current design, did the Sox ever omit player names from the back of the jersey? I seem to recall during the early years of this uniform design (early 90s) the back of the jersey had only the number on it. A few years later last names of the players were added. Can anyone confirm or correct my fading memory? Thanks.

When the home pinstripe jerseys were first introduced they were nameless. Names weren't added until around 1996. The black alternates were nameless the first year only, IIRC.

eriqjaffe
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
The current Sox uniform design dates back to about 1990. During the last 15 years of wearing this current design, did the Sox ever omit player names from the back of the jersey? I seem to recall during the early years of this uniform design (early 90s) the back of the jersey had only the number on it. A few years later last names of the players were added. Can anyone confirm or correct my fading memory? Thanks.Yes, when they debuted they didn't have names on them (at least the home jerseys, I think the road grays always did). I think the names appeares around 1993-4.

SaltyPretzel
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
The names were put on the jerseys for the 1997 season. I'm assuming they wanted to sell more Albert Belle jerseys.

TheDarkGundam
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I really don't like the jerseys with no names on them. It's annoying. Unless you are familiar with that team, you don't know who is who. Does anyone actually think it's a cool "throwback" design to have no names?

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-08-2005, 05:53 PM
I really don't like the jerseys with no names on them. It's annoying. Unless you are familiar with that team, you don't know who is who. Does anyone actually think it's a cool "throwback" design to have no names?

cub fans think its cool.
course they dont know anyone on the team...

deck27
12-08-2005, 06:15 PM
cub fans think its cool.
Nor do they care.

lizard6king6
12-08-2005, 06:42 PM
I like the names on the jerseys. I would like to see them on every team, I know most MLB players pretty good but sometimes I dont know some form other teams and it helps when you watch the game who exactly your watching.

Only thing that sucks about names on the jerseys is when you buy your favorite player jersey and they get traded the next year:angry:

C-Dawg
12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
The 87-90 home uniforms didn't have the names on them either.

Myself, I think having no names just looks SO generic and plain. Its funny how so many teams are doing away with the names, like its the latest fad to go nameless. Ugh! I hope the Sox keep using the jerseys with names, particularly as a nod to tradition since I believe it was the 1960 Sox that were the first to do it (ever see pics of them, with the really big name and comparitively small number?).

Speaking of the Cubs - I'm convinced the only reason they eliminated the names, was because Boston doesn't put names on their's either, and we all know they won the 2004 World Series. I guess the Cubs thought some of that World Series magic would rub off on them if they did whatever Boston did.

johnnyg83
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
The Dodgers don;t put them on.

I heard the Devil Rays players are asking for them to be left off.

nccwsfan
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM

I heard the Devil Rays players are asking for them to be left off.

For fear of being recognized??? :smile:

johnnyg83
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Indeed.

Felt funnier in my head.

C-Dawg
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM

The Dodgers used to have the names. They are part of the new "no-names" fad I mentioned.

Max Power
12-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I tend to like the whole "no name on the back/play for the name on the front" approach. I guess I picked it up at Indiana. I remember they were talking about putting the names on the basketball jerseys at IU a few years ago and people were outraged. I guess it's more of a college/high school thing though. I wouldn't mind it if the Sox took the names off, but I don't feel particularly strong about it.

tebman
12-08-2005, 11:54 PM
It's easy to forget in this discussion that it was the White Sox who were the first to put names on uniforms. It was one of Bill Veeck's innovations in 1960. At the time it was a radical idea because the other owners and the old-line sportswriters treated baseball more like a priesthood than a sport, and thought that Veeck's names-on-uniforms, exploding scoreboards, promotional giveaways and all the rest were beneath the dignity of The Game.

When asked, Veeck just said that he thought people watching the game might like to know the names of the players they're looking at. It was simple to him.

TDog
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
cub fans think its cool.

The last time the Cubs won he World Series the players didn't even have numbers on their uniforms.

After the 1970, when the Sox announced a change to the nameless red-pinstriped home uniforms, pitcher Steve Hamilton, who the Sox claimed off waivers late in their 106-loss season, preventing the southpaw from being dealt to a contender, said, "They're taking the names off the uniforms for our protection."

flo-B-flo
12-09-2005, 11:52 AM
I've always thought there was no need for names on home uniforms. This should be reserved for away uniforms only.

Randar68
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM

I would request my name not be on the back of just my jersey, so I can forever be referred to as: "He who shall not be named", LOL!...

krispoulin
12-09-2005, 04:40 PM

I think it's cool. In fact, if I had my way, they'd be wearing those '59 uniforms every day.

MikeW
12-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Funny story about names on the back of the uniforms. In 1960 when Bill Veeck started the idea, the team misspelled Ted Kluszewski's name. It was later corrected. I always liked the names on back and I miss the number on the sleeve also.

RKMeibalane
12-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Names were added in 1997. I remember it because it was Belle's first year with the team.

SALUKIS15
12-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Names on the back of jerseys is not a problem for me. What I can't stand is teams changing their uni's every year. It is just a money-making ploy, make your fans shell out money every year on new stuff. Thank God the SOX have only done minor changes to their uniforms over the recent years.

Wsoxmike59
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I remember when Jim Fregosi got hired by the Sox to take over for Tony LaRussa they spelled his name FERGOSI on the back of his jersey for his 1st game as Mgr of the Sox!!

DOH!! :D:

P.S. They also misspelled Jack Perconte too when he was first acquired. They had sewn on PRECONTE....

I also have a Cub-Sox game on tape (it might be the Michael Jordan game) and Jeff Schwarz was originally given SCHWARTZ on his jersey....so they ripped off the "T" so it read SCHWAR Z and when WGN showed him warming up in the bullpen the teleprompter graphics spelled it with the extra space too. LOL

C-Dawg
12-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Jeff Schwarz was originally given SCHWARTZ on his jersey....so they ripped off the "T" so it read SCHWAR Z and when WGN showed him warming up in the bullpen the teleprompter graphics spelled it with the extra space too. LOL

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/Spleen2/schwartz-ed-250w.jpg

"I thought about spelling my name that way too."

gowhitesox
12-13-2005, 11:11 PM
The like the names on the back. It looks too plain without them.

Now almost 2 months since winning the World Series still getting congrat's around San Antonio when wearing my White Sox gear. One Cubs fan gave me a dirty look after seeing a White Sox shirt. Of course they (cubs) only know how to lose.

doublem23
12-14-2005, 06:20 AM
It's easy to forget in this discussion that it was the White Sox who were the first to put names on uniforms. It was one of Bill Veeck's innovations in 1960. At the time it was a radical idea because the other owners and the old-line sportswriters treated baseball more like a priesthood than a sport, and thought that Veeck's names-on-uniforms, exploding scoreboards, promotional giveaways and all the rest were beneath the dignity of The Game.

When asked, Veeck just said that he thought people watching the game might like to know the names of the players they're looking at. It was simple to him. Which is exactly why the White Sox should never again consider taking names off their jerseys. Ever.