PDA

View Full Version : WSCR on why the Cubs failed to land Furcal

peeonwrigley
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
George Offman was on Boers and Bernstein saying why Furcal ended up w/ the Dodgers. Says that Furcal wanted to play for Dusty, and with Ramirez and Niefi (why, I don't know).

Came down to money. Cubs offer was at 5 years and 47.5MM - and Furcal's people wanted it a little higher... Offman speculated not much, if at all over $50MM.

Offman said he felt that it may have come from above Hendry that the Cubs could not go above the offer on the table, and Furcal was gone.

Obviously the Trib is hurting for money; but to not get your #1 priority because of about $1 million a year.... that's bad.

Looks like overpaying for Howry & Eyre may have already hurt them if they couldn't free up/spare the money to get Furcal.

Phil A. Show
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
So you would pay him $13 million a year? That's $1 million more than Konerko. He should be the 5th highest paid shortstop not the 2nd.

It's Time
12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
George Offman was on Boers and Bernstein saying why Furcal ended up w/ the Dodgers. Says that Furcal wanted to play for Dusty, and with Ramirez and Niefi (why, I don't know).

Came down to money. Cubs offer was at 5 years and 47.5MM - and Furcal's people wanted it a little higher... Offman speculated not much, if at all over $50MM.

Offman said he felt that it may have come from above Hendry that the Cubs could not go above the offer on the table, and Furcal was gone.

Obviously the Trib is hurting for money; but to not get your #1 priority because of about $1 million a year.... that's bad.

Looks like overpaying for Howry & Eyre may have already hurt them if they couldn't free up/spare the money to get Furcal.

13M for Pujols? Sure.
13M for a very good player? Not a chance.

peeonwrigley
12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
So you would pay him $13 million a year? That's $1 million more than Konerko. He should be the 5th highest paid shortstop not the 2nd.

:?: What?

He was willing to take less to play for the Cubs per the report. He wanted approx $10MM/yr. Where did you get $13 from?

The Cubs were giving 2 extra years on LA, w/ an option for a 6th.

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Obviously the Trib is hurting for money
Is that supposed to be in teal? Their newspaper division is making huge profits and I assume the Cubs are as well. They're making staff cuts because they don't think those double-digit profits are enough for their shareholders.

HotelWhiteSox
12-08-2005, 03:33 PM
He said they just wanted .5 a million to a million dollars more than their original offer. Have fun with Neifi

RallyBowl
12-08-2005, 03:35 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

cheeses_h_rice
12-08-2005, 03:35 PM

The Cubs only would have had to offer him about $10 million a year, it sounds like. Granted, that's 2 years longer than the Dodgers offer, but if the Cubs were already at $47.5 million/5 years, what's another half mil a year?

The Dodgers are the ones who overpaid.

Tekijawa
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Is that supposed to be in teal? Their newspaper division is making huge profits and I assume the Cubs are as well. They're making staff cuts because they don't think those double-digit profits are enough for their shareholders.

Their Newspaper division is in the process of closing down a bunch of plants... you don't do that with HUGE Profits!

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Yes, you do if you think you can make bigger profits and you run a ****bag of a company.

I assume that they are also expecting the market for newspapers to continue to go down, but right now they are in the pink, in the black, whatever.

"Publishing’s third quarter operating revenues were $980 million, essentially flat compared with last year’s third quarter. Publishing cash operating expenses were down 5 percent, or
$39 million, as 2004 included a $55 million charge related to the anticipated settlement with advertisers regarding misstated circulation at Newsday and Hoy, New York. Publishing operating cash flow was $212 million, a 22 percent increase from $174 million in 2004. Publishing operating profit increased 29 percent to $170 million, up from $132 million in 2004."

So they spent about $800 million and took in about $980 million. Not too shabby.

SoxSpeed22
12-08-2005, 03:42 PM
He said they just wanted .5 a million to a million dollars more than their original offer. Have fun with NeifiThey better pray that Cedeno has an outstanding rookie season. That might have been an extra $ million per year, we all know how great the Trib is with landing premier free agents.

DSpivack
12-08-2005, 07:34 PM
If I was a Cub fan though, I wouldn't be that upset they didn't sign Furcal. That's a ridiculous contract and I don't think Cedeno will be that bad. They need a solid OF. Matt Murton and whomever they throw in right won't cut it.

veeter
12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Anything that's negative for the cubs, whether in perception or reality, I love.

gaelhound
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Anything that's negative for the cubs, whether in perception or reality, I love.
Exactly! Never let Christmas sentimentality ever allow you to let up on the absolute hatred for the Cubs and their fans. Never Ever!

veeter
12-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Exactly! Never let Christmas sentimentality ever allow you to let up on the absolute hatred for the Cubs and their fans. Never Ever!I think I was blocking them out this off-season. I mean, the hatred was there but kind of out of my mind. But when I opened the paper today and saw huge headlines, like they just signed six great players to fill their gaping holes, I was pissed. Only to find out they signed Juan Pierre. My hatred returned front and center.

SOecks
12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
I just saw the following post from the score670.com forums, written by a poster named spmack. Very interesting stuff...

Wow.

During Buffone and Thayer's football segment, Ofman breaks in just now and apologizes for giving out some inside info. For those that missed it, Ofman reported that Rafael Furcal was ready to sign with the Cubs but the Dodgers offered 3 yr 39 mil........Furcal's people informed the Cubs and wanted them to sweeten their deal of 5 yr 47 mil, but apparently the higher ups (Mcphail, f-a-i-l....) would not go any higher and Ofman's "source" said that Furcal's camp may have only asked for about a million more. So OFman reported it earlier as being similar to Maddux in 92......well I guess people caught wind of Ofman's report , and his source must've told Ofman this info in confidence (or the down low, hush hush, qt)and gave him so much of a tongue lashing that Ofman had to break into The Football Show to apologize to all parties involved, including "his bosses.....and it will never happen again"

ChiSoxRowand
12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I think it's actually good for the Cubs that they didn't land Furcal, Pierre is better and much cheaper (at least this year). And I doubt they would have went after both of them.

SOXPHILE
12-09-2005, 10:16 AM
I just saw the following post from the score670.com forums, written by a poster named spmack. Very interesting stuff...

Wow.

During Buffone and Thayer's football segment, Ofman breaks in just now and apologizes for giving out some inside info. For those that missed it, Ofman reported that Rafael Furcal was ready to sign with the Cubs but the Dodgers offered 3 yr 39 mil........Furcal's people informed the Cubs and wanted them to sweeten their deal of 5 yr 47 mil, but apparently the higher ups (Mcphail, f-a-i-l....) would not go any higher and Ofman's "source" said that Furcal's camp may have only asked for about a million more. So OFman reported it earlier as being similar to Maddux in 92......well I guess people caught wind of Ofman's report , and his source must've told Ofman this info in confidence (or the down low, hush hush, qt)and gave him so much of a tongue lashing that Ofman had to break into The Football Show to apologize to all parties involved, including "his bosses.....and it will never happen again"

I read those boards, and I saw that too. Hilarious. Way to go George Offman ! Way to go Score ! What also seemed odd to me was when he was originally reporting it, he kept saying over and over how Furcal "really wanted to come to the Cubs", and "the Cubs were his first choice". Sounded like he was working for TribCo., with the whole "EVERYBODY LOVES AND WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE CUBS" line. If that were true, I don't think he would have been going back and forth between the Braves, Cubs, and whatever other teams were after him, saying how he wanted to play for Bobby Cox, etc. Then, suddenly just sign with the Dodgers a couple of days after they jumped in and made him an offer. I'm gonna break my own rule today and give that idiot Murph a listen. Kinda curious to see what his spin on this whole thing will be, in between all his bitching and moaning. Me thinks some Score "baseball experts" have just lost some of their inside souces at Trib-Cubs Corp.

wdelaney72
12-09-2005, 12:10 PM
If I was a Cub fan though, I wouldn't be that upset they didn't sign Furcal. That's a ridiculous contract and I don't think Cedeno will be that bad. They need a solid OF. Matt Murton and whomever they throw in right won't cut it.

While it's true that Cedeno is completely unproven at the MLB level and they need another OF (Corey Patterson will likely be shipped), Matt Murton hit .321 in 140 at bats last season. I think he'll cut it just fine.

peeonwrigley
12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I read those boards, and I saw that too. Hilarious. Way to go George Offman ! Way to go Score ! What also seemed odd to me was when he was originally reporting it, he kept saying over and over how Furcal "really wanted to come to the Cubs", and "the Cubs were his first choice". Sounded like he was working for TribCo., with the whole "EVERYBODY LOVES AND WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE CUBS" line. If that were true, I don't think he would have been going back and forth between the Braves, Cubs, and whatever other teams were after him, saying how he wanted to play for Bobby Cox, etc. Then, suddenly just sign with the Dodgers a couple of days after they jumped in and made him an offer. I'm gonna break my own rule today and give that idiot Murph a listen. Kinda curious to see what his spin on this whole thing will be, in between all his bitching and moaning. Me thinks some Score "baseball experts" have just lost some of their inside souces at Trib-Cubs Corp.

I don't know.. this is a pretty negative story towards the Trib the way it was told. They had a guy who supposedly really wanted to come to their team (which as you mentioned was reiterated 30 times), and he was the #1 offseason priority. But they would not clear about $3M more total on the deal. And supposedly that came from above Hendry.

IMO that reflects poorly on the Trib.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
The Cubs didn't land Furcal because they suck. End of story. Why would someone like that want to deal with such a vacuum environment?

It's mind numbing to wrap yourself in a wet blanket and never figure out why you can't be warm.

DSpivack
12-10-2005, 08:46 PM
While it's true that Cedeno is completely unproven at the MLB level and they need another OF (Corey Patterson will likely be shipped), Matt Murton hit .321 in 140 at bats last season. I think he'll cut it just fine.

Murton may be fine, but he can't play LF and RF.