PDA

View Full Version : Sox Conspiracy... okay, not really

ChiSoxPatF
12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
If this should be in What's The Score, please move it mods and I'm sorry....

I think its been brilliant of Kenny so far this offseason to acquire Chicago area players. Along with the huge fanbase we've acquired with winning the World Series, adding Mackowiak (NW IN) and Thome (Peoria) and now very possibly Myers (Arlington Heights) will increase the fanbase even further.

While the Cubs alienate their fanbase further by heavily pursuing nutjobs like Milton Bradley, the Kenny continues to give Chicago-land sports fans more reasons to cheer for the Sox.

Props to Kenny for thinking these things though even if these are only peripheral reasons. Not only has he made our team THAT much better this offseason, he's done it with local boys.

TheOldRoman
12-08-2005, 04:01 PM
First of all, Mac is from Oak Lawn.
Secondly, the Cubs aren't alienating their fanbase. Those mindless clowns will still root for the Cubs because it's still "cool". They think they are better than us because they didn't jump ship during our playoff run. The Urinal is still really old, still falling apart, and still the place to be for yuppies and fratboys.
They will glorify Bradley like Rodman. They will cheer him when he tries to fight one of the people in the stands. They will cheer when he inevtiably attacks an umpire. They will probably make a phrase "It's just Milton being Milton".

BTW, dont forget the fans we got from Shingo and Iguchi coming to the Sox. We are third in coverage in Japan behind the Yankees and Mariners.

ChiSoxPatF
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
First of all, Mac is from Oak Lawn.

Sorry, I'm just biased in calling him from NW IN because he attended and graduated from my HS in the Tri-town. He's from the south of Chicago regardless.

kittle42
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Am I the only one who couldn't care less where anyone is from? :smile:

Jerko
12-08-2005, 04:08 PM

No.

samram
12-08-2005, 07:43 PM

No. I do care if guys are any good at baseball. Maybe the Sox can sign Josh Paul.

bighurt2719
12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
i care where people are from. i care way more about how good of a baseball player they are.

SouthSideHitman
12-08-2005, 08:11 PM
As the Josh Paul reference illustrates, fans care about being good about baseball - bottom line. However, I think that for most people (certainly for me) having great players who are hometown boys is gravy.

nccwsfan
12-08-2005, 09:00 PM

No, and it shouldn't have any impact on making new fans. I want the 25 best ballplayers on this team (again). These are just good trades that happen to include some IL boys, nothing more.

MarkZ35
12-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I'm just biased in calling him from NW IN because he attended and graduated from my HS in the Tri-town. He's from the south of Chicago regardless.

from http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=406670...........Is a 1994 graduate of Oak Lawn (IL) High School, where he played baseball...

Brian26
12-09-2005, 12:08 AM

Kudos to you for saying "couldn't care less" instead of the commonly incorrect "could care less." :thumbsup:

fquaye149
12-09-2005, 12:17 AM

well...yes, and no.

Here's the thing - whatever helps the team win is fine with me. Thome grew up a Cub fan and that's fine with me as long as he puts up #'s comparable to his career #'s.

BUUUUUUUT - when we're going to get a guy I like it if he's a Sox fan, all other things being equal. I'm certainly not going to ignore it. Mackowiack's a decent little player in his own right. Add to that his Sox fandom and I really like it.

Same with BMAC - a nice prospect pitcher with nasty stuff? Cool! But he's a Sox fan too? And he said his biggest thrill was meeting Big Hurt? Even cooler!!!!

miker
12-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Let's just say it's a coincidence...but having a Word Championship team near your hometown can attract the right kind of ballplayer.

sthbndsox
12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Didn't Myers sign with the Yankees?

kevin57
12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I think it's marginally important getting players from the area to increase fanbase. Of much greater importance are players who are very good on the field and at least decent human beings off the field with the fans.

ode to veeck
12-09-2005, 10:45 AM
if kenny was motivated primarily by the fanbase, he wouda tried to work some kind of deal for frank

Clembasbal
12-09-2005, 03:24 PM
i care where people are from. i care way more about how good of a baseball player they are.

Ditto, and I wouldn't mind a local pitcher from South Holland on the team, that would be nice!:D:

ChiSoxPatF
12-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Didn't Myers sign with the Yankees?

Yes. I started the thread prior to that signing and it SEEMED like common consensus that he would be the Sox next priority.