PDA

View Full Version : A 'veiled shot' at KW?

chisoxt
12-22-2001, 07:48 AM
The other day, I heard Dan Evans on the Score with Boers and bernstein and the subject of trades came up. Evans indicated that a mentor told him long ago that you never make a trade unless it's right for your club. Based on KW's propensity of overpaying in trades, I wonder if Dan wasn't in fact speaking about our own fearless leader?

I look across town at Andy Mc Phail, and it seems that in trades, he always gets the upper hand. I still can't believe that he got a decent shortstop with power for a lousy relief pitcher that no one else wanted!! Not surprisingly, the Toronto GM is also a rookie.

I've come to the conclusion that your reputation always proceeds you. If you have a reputation of being too anxious and trigger happy, other GM's will take advantage of you.

RichH55
12-22-2001, 08:06 AM
Well if Dan would come post here....He could take all the unveiled shots he wanted to...it is tradition after all:) But on the Tor/Chi deal I think you overestimate Alex G. alot and fail to take into consideration his contract which IIRC isn't exactly pretty....Mcfail hasn't done a bad job to be honest and in terms of value he didn't give up that much to take on Alex, but I don't think he got himself a great player either...and that David Weathers trade isn't looking so good in retrospect either, but I guess you take your shots at the prize when you can

RichH55
12-22-2001, 08:08 AM
And a final thought here....that Toronto GM is going to be a good one, and he does come from a fine pedigree working with Billy Beane out in Oakland...Not easy when you take over an organization and from day one you are told to substancially cut payroll